[1.30 BUG] If you don't want to be attacked by something, just reload from the AutoSave

By on September 4, 2013 2:20:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trojasmic

Join Date 04/2006
+40

FIX IT!  Why can't you guys get the "saving" of games figured out?  In addition to this bug, we have the auto-move bug when you load a saved game that I've been reporting since EWOM.  Others have reported funniness with resource counts when loading a saved game.  I think it's time to hire the "saving" games guru from Firaxis and fix this.  What say ye?

Locked Post 13 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 4, 2013 4:16:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Extraordinary. I may never need to use the "Scout" talent again!

Well in all seriousness the save games are pretty much not the most glamourous aspect of this game

September 4, 2013 5:07:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've disabled autosaves awhile ago because they were causing me endless crashes.

And it looks like I won't be enabling autosaves anytime soon... 

September 5, 2013 5:23:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting. My game does get slow because of the 1autosave/turn thing, but I never suspected it to do crashes. Although most of my crashes DO happen when taking a turn. So that might be it.

September 5, 2013 10:33:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Contrarilywise what if it crashes when you didn't make a backup autosave then you have to go back however long to your last manual save.  So that's why I have it autosave set to 1 as well.

September 5, 2013 12:10:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't even notice autosave, which is definitely on. I have Turns Until Autosave set to zero. There is no delay, and I don't crash.

I have a question though. Since whether you get attacked is often random, is it a bug or was it simply a different random result? If it's a bug, I agree it should be fixed.

September 5, 2013 4:24:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@coyote Noone knows.

Sometimes when you reload an older save the game does work out in a different way than before so when talking about reloading the beginning of that one turn ... maybe one could try and reload when one had just been attacked, and reload over and over again just to get some statistic going if you CAN get attacked from an autosave.

I never tried it so I don't know, but I guess if one doesn't get attacked after any reload its pretty clear that there might be something fishy going on.. Maybe someone can try this as I suggested and get a result where he/she does not get attakced for 10 reloads or something.

September 5, 2013 4:33:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have  been attacked and reloaded savegames and every time after that I've not been attacked on multiple occasions.  I'm weak, please stardock save me from myself.

Once you reload it takes you to to the point after the AI has moved at the start of your turn, it also seems to helpfully move all your units queued orders, so I usually find myself attacking monster X that I had planned on attacking the next turn.

September 6, 2013 2:51:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@coyote:  It's both.  While it's random as to whether or not you get attacked, the bug is that autosaving occurs while stuff is happening, so things are changing as it's saving.  This is what produces wonky autosaves.  So, when you load an autosave, it's anyone's guess as to what got saved and what didn't.  The way autosaving SHOULD work, is that when you end the turn, it should save the game BEFORE it does ANYTHING else (even processing the fact that the turn is over).  That way, when you load an autosave, things are exactly as they were when you ended the turn, except that it's still the end of that turn, waiting for you to end it again.  This would solve all of the autosave problems. Yeah, it'll take a little bit longer, but that's very much worth it for both stability between turns and having reliable autosaves.

September 6, 2013 10:32:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So I just confirmed that you can prevent the AI from attacking your cities indefinitely this way.   Just load the autosave and they will not have attacked you for that turn.  Yay cheating

September 7, 2013 3:29:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Alright so you basically cannot lose given you have autosave enabled for every turn and loading said autosave after finishing turn always?

September 7, 2013 11:40:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If it's just the autosaves that have this problem, then I would say it's a minor problem. I'm assuming the autosaves take place when they do in order to avoid delays between turns. If so, autosaves should only be used and reloaded in the case of emergency, such as a freeze. If you anticipate a situation where you might want to reload, you should just do a manual save or a quick save.

However, if all saves have this issue, it should be fixed.

If autosaves are happening after you click to end your turn (thus no additional delay would be created if fixed), then it should be fixed.

If regular and quick saves work fine and "fixing" autosaves would cause a delay between turns that doesn't exist now, I say leave it as is.

September 7, 2013 2:59:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is the original title a troll?

If that is a bug, don't fix it please. Nothing forces you to reload, or if it does, nothing forces you to ignore being attacked. "fixing it" would just be one more technical thing that can go wrong. As for units automoving when you reload? If you have some great worry about something something breaking when they sudden jump ahead a few tiles, don't leave a move order queued.

As far as timing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutex

It's not even a hard thing to do. It's a total of three lines of code in C++11. (Maybe one extra switch in the compiler to inform it "yes, you should include native threading support). One to include the threading library, one to declare a mutex, and one to create a std::lock to wait for and later release the mutex.

It's a necessity when multi-threading a program and I think the devs already said they are or did multi-thread FE/LH. So, all of the above should already be present.

Also, if you're doing a lot of loading, you should probably exit and restart the game anyway to keep from leaking/cluttering memory.

TL:DR? PEBKC & The devs should already be preventing data races to keep the game from crashing anyway.

September 8, 2013 5:48:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As long as they fix all of the crashing problems, we don't need to reload autosaves.  As it stands, however, I'll get an average of one crash every two hours of gameplay, and I'm not just going to quit the game every crash, I'm going to load the autosave.  I'd like things to be as they were when I load that autosave, rather than avoiding combat and sometimes losing production.  It's easy to fix the autosave issue, they just don't do it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002453   Page Render Time: