How important is it to design your own troops?

By on August 9, 2013 1:59:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

forthright55

Join Date 08/2009

Just wondering about this, because I've never bothered to do it (despite over 150 hours in LH) - I just assumed using the default troops (and their upgrades) would keep my army up to scratch with the best possible stuff.

Are there real benefits to designing your own troops?

I like to customise my Sovereign but that's because it has a big effect on the overall strategy.

Thanks for any info about this.

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 9, 2013 2:14:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes the default designs aren't very good. They tend not to have many traits. Traits are a cheap way to make units noticeable better. For instance archers with accuracy and fast are much nastier. Also some units like defenders are just bad. Design a defender with a sword instead of blunt weapon and they are much better. The AI has access to many designs players can't access also by the way.

August 9, 2013 2:20:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I find that custom units help tremendously.  Creating units with certain accessories, for instance, can improve important stats quickly.  Of course, in a given game, you may or may not have crystal, or horses/wargs, etc.  So by customizing, you increase your range of options based on the resources you have in the game.  The preset units don't have a lot of mounted units, for example.  So, the default stuff is just not equipped to give you the widest range of choices to make the most of the resources you have.  

That said, you can still do fine with the default ones.  But creating units opens up the game quite a bit, in my opinion.

August 9, 2013 2:43:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realise you could actually choose the traits and accessories for them - I thought that was just for champions.

I'll definitely give it a try now.

August 9, 2013 6:07:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can increase the damage of the basic mage unit 100% with proper accessories. The difference is pretty huge

August 9, 2013 8:10:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Would really like designed units to be dumped into separate subfolders though headed by the faction name. Currently, all units are put in the same place and it's hard to keep track to which unit is for which faction.

August 10, 2013 11:33:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Would really like designed units to be dumped into separate subfolders though headed by the faction name. Currently, all units are put in the same place and it's hard to keep track to which unit is for which faction.

August 10, 2013 12:32:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Brewskin,

Quoting GFireflyE,
reply 5

August 10, 2013 5:19:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aside from specialty units (pioneers, henchmen, catapults, etc), I only train custom-designed units.  

August 11, 2013 3:22:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you play larger maps, you'll definitely want a broader selection of mounted units than are offered as standard, particularly cavalry with ranged weapons. You can start training these fairly early - you'll need to research horses and enchantment (unlocks ice staff & incineration staff). I find that Champions tend to make better melee units since weapons and armor far better than anything available to your trained units in the early game can usually be found in goodie huts and lairs.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time: