Elemental Wiki

By on August 6, 2013 11:30:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

flagyl

Join Date 06/2008
+22

Has there been any thought of SD creating a space for a Wiki for the Elemental universe?

I have a bunch of questions that I am embarrassed to ask and it would be awesome if I could go to an Elemental Wiki to search for the answers/find data/find mods, etc. Many of the posters in these forums do a GREAT job of sharing info with others, but someone seeking knowledge would have to search for the SD forums sorting through many posts to find an answer instead of going to a one-stop-shop.

Hopefully some brave soul with a penchant for sharing encyclopedic knowledge will be up to creating one. I really think it would be a boon to the community.

Locked Post 60 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 6, 2013 11:44:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No need to feel embarrassed, ask away! 

On the other hand, a wiki would be nice if there are enough people with the time and interest to develop the content.

August 6, 2013 12:42:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok...where do kids come from?

In all seriousness, the dumb questions I have involve basic things like-how does building a clay pit help me? It increases my materials by one, but which materials? The iron? The crystal? Both?

In playing the scenario, Paradin asked to trade some civ for warfare tech: how can I determine how much tech I have? Can I do it from the trade screen? What does the tech allow me to do? I understand the basic concept of research (having more research allows you to research tech faster), but how does research intersect with the tech itself? I have never seen a tally of how much civ, magic and warfare tech I have (I am sure that I just have not been paying close enough attention to my ledgers though).

Does having 40 research allow me to research tech twice as fast as having 20 tech? Or is it not a one-to-one function of research to amount of time needed to research the tech?

These are a few of the dumb questions I have to this point.

Thanks in advance.

August 6, 2013 4:34:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1.  Babies come from storks.

2.  Materials is materials... Materials is not iron nor is its crystals.  The number of materials a city has gets multiplied by a value (certain technologies and buildings can raise this value) to determine your production points (how fast you can build stuff).

3.  The only way to determine how much tech you have is to go to the diplomacy screen and try to trade with somebody.  It would have been nice if they had put this value in other places, but they did not. 

4.  You're kind of using the terms "research" and "tech" a bunch of different ways, but I'll try and clear it up.  Research is how many research points per turn you get towards a new tech.  Once you research a new tech, you get 10-20% (can't remember which) of those points back as tech trade points to trade with other factions.

5.  Yes, having 40 research allows you to learn new technologies twice as fast as having 20 research.

August 6, 2013 5:15:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought they came pelicans...I never was a good student .

Thank you for your answers Trojasmic. You helped to clear up a few issues.

1)I know that materials is the 'y' in the tile yield (x/y/z, with 'x' being grain and z being essence), correct? So let's say I start off with a 5/4/0 tile to found my city. If I build a clay pit (if one is available), I will enable my original tile to be viewed as a 5/5/0 tile, correct?

2)Regarding tech-ahhh...thank you. I will have to peruse my city ledger sheet more carefully now. So that means, if I get a trade proposal (as I am getting in the scenario), unless I have memorized how much of each tech I have, I am making an uninformed decision when I say yes or no to a trade (I'm saying yes to all trades because I have almost finished researching all the tress to this point).

3)I am still a bit unclear as to what 'tech' means when it is quantified with a number. What does having '50 tech' allow me to do? What happens if I have '100 tech'?

Sorry for confusing the terms and thanks for straightening it out (regarding research vs tech). Your answers have been really helpful.

Lemme go outside and chase those storks off my lawn now...

August 6, 2013 5:39:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If anyone wants to start a wiki I would be willing to contribute a little time to filling it up.

August 6, 2013 5:47:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

HF, people like you, Parrotmath, DsRaider, abob1, Trojasmic and daxim to name just a few of the great player in this community would make great contributors to the wiki.

I have virtually no web skills, beyond using Google, or else I would volunteer to set it up. I hope someone reading the forum might be up for the challenge.

August 7, 2013 1:58:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes. materials are the basic modifier used to determine a cities net production output, i.e. how fast buildings and units get built. If you read the descriptions of your cities you'll see they say things like 'adds X production per material' (similarly, other building add food per grain or mana per essence). Hooking a clay pit up to your city adds one to your material multiplier which will boost your city's production output. As you say your x/4/z city becomes an x/5/z city.

Regarding research trading, basically how it works is every time you research a new tech in a tree, you also get some surplus diplomatic research points that you can trade with other civilizations. By trading them away, you are not losing any of your own research, but you are making it faster for your trade partner to research their next tech in that school faster. Conversely, when they trade their research points to you, they are speeding up your research in one of the 3 research branches.

August 7, 2013 4:16:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Research trading works as CWG describes. If you have more than 1 opponent, it's basically always wise to trade tech as much as you can: You and opponent A increase your knowledge, the others do not -> your overall position improves. Usually you will have to trade tech at a 3/4 loss, but it is still worth it. You can also trade tech for any of the other tradable goods (gildar, iron, etc)

Apart from trading 'tech' on a case by case base, you can also sign tech treaties with other rulers. This lets you both gain a certain amount of research each turn. The amount of research gained is clearly stated when you receive the offer or would like to make an offer.

August 7, 2013 4:20:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea of an Elemental Wiki.  There seems to be the people who would get it built up and keep it up to date.  And it would be great to be able to refer people to an overall resource rather than having the same question asked at various stages.  Who knows, when the wiki is well-developed it could even be implemented into the in-game Heirgamenon (however you spell it ).  Thus Stardock would have the benefit of all the players and modders keeping it up-to-date AND being able to use it to beef up the in-game help so it is much more useful.

August 7, 2013 4:58:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To clarify other people's very good explanations somewhat, the way I think of research is that you need a certain number of research points to get a certain tech. So say you have 10 research a turn; it will take you 10 turns to research a tech which requires 100 points. When you have researched that tech, you will get a certain amount of tech points to trade with other factions; I believe this option is only available however if you have researched more in that Tech than they have. It must be slightly more complicated than that because it's possible for both sides to be able to sell each other tech points in the same area (e.g. Magic). Possibly it's based on you having researched particular techs which they have not. The general point though is that you will not be able to sell any research to factions which have a great deal more research than you. This is on a category basis, so you may not be able to sell any Magic but you may be able to sell Economic points.

When you do sell the points to one AI they seem to immediately disappear as an option to sell to other AIs. I don't know if this is a function of the high difficulty level I play on, a bug, is by design, or is only the case with AIs who are on good terms with each other (and it's assumed they immediately trade with each other).

In terms of what happens when you buy points, this research is now immediately added to your points in that particular area. So in other words if you get ten points in an Economic tech, one which was 100 points will now only take 90 points, and you can research in nine turns rather than ten. However you do not get to choose which tech gets the bonus. I haven't attempted to work out exactly how it's allocated, but it seems to allocate it to one of the earliest un-researched techs in the relevant tree, which may or may not be the one you're currently researching. You can see where the points have been allocated by looking at the research tree, and you will see partially filled in progress bars for techs you have never actually researched. It's generally worth researching these soon, as they will take you less time to research and get the benefits then if you hadn't traded the tech.

My strategy therefore is to trade my tech to the weakest friendly AI who will sell the tech type I'm currently researching; so in other words if I'm researching Economic tech I trade any tech points I have for whatever I can get in Economic tech. I generally try to trade for the same amount of tech as I'm selling, using gold to make up the difference. When I've finished researching my current tech I will probably next research something I got points in from trading.

If you get a "goody hut" which gives you research points (Ancient Library, I think), it allocates those points to the tech you are currently researching, often meaning you research it immediately if you're near the start of the game, which makes it significantly more valuable than tech trading (which is not allocated to the tech you are currently researching). Even given the slightly random nature of tech trading and the bad rate you get though, I still trade it, otherwise I think you get too far behind, especially on higher difficulty levels.

August 7, 2013 11:54:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Back before LH, someone did start an FE Wiki. I don't have the link, but you could probably find it with a Google search.

He made the announcement here, and asked people to contribute. As I recall, no one responded to his post.

In any case, if he hasn't abandoned his wiki, it could be used as a foundation for building one for LH.

August 7, 2013 12:26:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you Borg. Here is the link http://fallenenchantresswiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I couldn't find the name of the creator of the page (I looked through it kinda quickly) but if I find his/her name, I will be sure to give him credit.

Thanks to Merlinme, cwg9, Fallenchar, SteveAus and everyone else who answered my dumb questions (and you guys all did a great job, by the way). I really appreciate it. Great community here.

August 7, 2013 2:42:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm sure if someone decides to head up a wiki it will be a new one. No point using an old one, it's even for FE and not for FE:LH.

August 7, 2013 3:16:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd contribute some to a wiki.

oh and DYNASTIES DLC PLEASE.

(That's in case Derek is reading)

August 7, 2013 3:31:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
I'm sure if someone decides to head up a wiki it will be a new one. No point using an old one, it's even for FE and not for FE:LH.

Obviously much of the FE data would be useless for LH. I was referring to the overall structure, formating and categories that could be re-used as a template for a LH wiki.

No sense in starting completely from ground zero if you don't have to.

August 7, 2013 9:39:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am a new user just getting into this incredible game world.  I have been playing computer games since 1982 so needless to say I have seen just about every size, shape, touch, and taste of every type of computer game over the years   I was surprised to NOT see a Wiki for FE:LH  From what I see so far....this is one of the best games ever made....period!

August 8, 2013 12:42:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd contribute to a wiki, be a nice for people not to have to directly ask questions and wait for answers.

August 8, 2013 11:01:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

More dumb questions-Is there any reason to demolish a forest, aside from shaping the city in the fashion that you want (I am assuming that is why the option is available in the first place)?

August 8, 2013 1:41:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think at some point when demolishing a forest gave you a boost to production, but this is no longer in the game. Probably back in the WoM days.

August 8, 2013 2:39:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks PM.

August 9, 2013 3:36:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll host.

Should there be more to the site than just a Wiki?

Addendum ideas: (ie. Project Management for group mods, community features, etc.)?

August 9, 2013 6:51:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,

I'll host.

Should there be more to the site than just a Wiki?

Addendum ideas: (ie. Project Management for group mods, community features, etc.)?

On behalf of the community, I thank you CardinalDirection. This will be greatly appreciated and utilized.

August 9, 2013 9:15:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also: domain name?

parrott, Heaven: will one/both of you admin as well?

Edit: @SD, if you see this - I have absolutely no problem setting this up, but I'm sure a Wiki (or 2+) would drive a lot of traffic to your site(s).  Your games are certainly wiki-worthy.

August 10, 2013 1:00:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not me, as I said I can contribute a little time.

August 10, 2013 3:38:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To be an admin, depends on what is expected of me. I will not claim I know a large amount about maintaining a website, but I am a quick study.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000047   Page Render Time: