[Bug] Mouse Pointer Icons won't change

By on July 21, 2013 11:13:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tirawa

Join Date 04/2008
+1

I just bought the Quest DLC and converted to 1.3 beta.  Started a new game and now my mouse pointer icons don't change when they are supposed to.  As far as I know there are 3 pointer icon options: the sword (default pointer), the crossed swords (engage in battle pointer), and the hour glass (loading pointer).  When the pointer changes between these three and an interface screen is opened, it won't change back to the default pointer (the sword) until the interface screen is closed.  For example, if I've just fought a battle and I earn enough fame to get a champion, I can't hover over the champion traits on the champion selection screen because the pointer is stuck as the hour glass from loading the map after the battle (as opposed to changing back into the sword once the map has loaded).  Before or after a battle, the pointer will often be stuck as the crossed swords.

EDIT: The research interface also has short green and black lines under the techs whenever I move the tree in the interface.  I reverted back to 1.2 and the problems with the tree and the mouse pointers still persist, so presumably it was the quest DLC that caused this?

Locked Post 32 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 9, 2013 11:11:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same problem here. Always have the hourglass cursor in the choose champions screen, and since the icons are so tiny at 2560X1600, it's simply impossible for me to look at the stats of the 2 champions. So I have to choose ramdomly...

I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers with 3X Nvidia Titans.

September 26, 2013 8:20:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One thing that has always bothered me about reported bugs on this forum (at least from what I've seen); Stardock staff is often quick to respond specifically to suggest uploading/pasting a debug.err so they can identify possible problems.  But once somebody does, nobody from Stardock says or does anything in response.

If there are no problems in the debug.err, it would be nice to see somebody from Stardock admit this, along with seeing how many others have reported this same exact mouse cursor problem over the past 3 years, and own up to fixing this huge bug once and for all.  And if you've been trying to fix it, at least fill us in to tell us your progress.  Because right now, aside from asking people to post a debug.err, it doesn't look like you're doing anything about it.

I apologize if I have a demanding tone, but it's such a massive UI problem.  I've reported this bug myself back in 2010 and posted my debug.err with no response, only to see it handled in the exact same manner 3 years later.  So many have reported this bug (along with the infamous DX error bug/crash) and after all this time its still unfixed and nothing has changed.  Even if it's something that can't be fixed given problems with the engine, or isn't "worth fixing" in Stardock's eyes for some apparent reason, please be honest and forthcoming about this.

October 1, 2013 12:05:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I could not agree more, Victor 5.  It's sort of appalling that this hasn't been taken care of or even explicitly addressed, especially given the fact that the bug is 3 years old.  

October 23, 2013 9:37:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The current version of 1.4 still does not fix this problem, and still no comment from Stardock.  Has anyone found a fix yet?

October 24, 2013 4:01:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Best 'fix' I found was to combine (in Photoshop/whatever) the Hourglass.png and Arrow.png cursor images found in \FE Legendary Heroes\Gfx\Cursors\Default, and save the resulting image as Hourglass.png.

Means that when the thinking/hourglass cursor gets stuck I still have the sword cursor behind it to know where the tip of the cursor is (ie for hovering over small icons).

October 24, 2013 8:41:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is difficult for me to swallow the fact that I will be required to Photoshop image files of a cursor in a game I paid 40 dollars for.

Bad Stardock.  Bad.   

October 24, 2013 10:21:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed, that's why I'm referring to it as a 'fix' (hand-wavy air quotes in front of my monitor) for people that would at least like to suffer less in the interim.

Would be far better to have it actually sorted out properly by Stardock.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000593   Page Render Time: