[eMOD] Demons and Wizards (Updated for 1.8)

By on July 21, 2013 2:41:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

abob101

Join Date 11/2010
+49

Now updated for LH 1.8 compatibility.   Download here via Nexus.

Updated to version 1.8a, includes compatability with LH 1.8 as well as a number of bug fixes, enhancements and balance tweaks.  See here for the full change log.

http://demonsandwizards.wikidot.com/

Changelog

http://demonsandwizards.wikidot.com/main:changelog

Key Features

• 4 new spellbooks (Nature, Shadow, Battle, Beast)
  • Enhanced summoning mechanics with over 80 different creature to summon
  • Religion mechanics including "Faith" resource, disciple units and divine spells
  • 3 new paths (Summoner, Priest and Ranger) and an overhauled Mage class
  • 15 new factions/races with unique blood types
  • 40 new champions

Credits

Heavenfall – For the BG Unitstats library, a few bits from Children of Storm, some ideas borrowed from the Goetia Mod, the Cacus Giant, lots of invaluable advice and assistance regarding modding FE/LH. Go checkout Children of Storm if you haven't already (http://childrenofstorm.wikidot.com/).

Davrovana - Faction, Sovereign, Champion backstories.
Nightmurderer03 - Lots of ideas, unit designs, beta testing and feedback.

ManiiNames, NaytchSG – beta testing the early versions.
jeffqyzt2 – Champion backstories.
parrottmath – Maul debuff mod and his outstanding contribution to FE/LH modding.
DsRaider - Some faction traits, some bits from AIPlus, inspiration from his various great mods.
Primal_Savage - For the ClotheLootFix and lots of help with LH modding along the way.
OliverFA_306, GfireflyE, Murteas, Brainjuggler, Naidrev, LordTheRon (and lots of others) - for providing ideas, feedback and discussion which is invaluable when working on this stuff.
fsemprini – For the Summoner Path selection graphic.
brich1212 - for the original Ranger path mod.

Stardock - for an awesome game

Screenshots

349 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 13, 2013 3:50:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

Guys thanks for all the input.  It's really helpful because I like to bounce ideas around.

5) Make it so that when you cast a strategic summons, the caster is unable to cast *any* other strategic summons for X turns where X is the power level of the summons spell.  So Shrills summons are power level 1, you can cast another summons after 1 turn.  A Death Demon is power level 5 summons so you can't summon anything else for 5 turns.  So it's like a cooldown but affects all summons for that caster.  I've tested this one and it seems to work ok.... the only downside is that for period where the particular champion can't cast any summons... all their summons spells are removed from the spellbook (rather than grayed out).   Not ideal but probably ok.

I like this idea a lot. Summoning a big creature takes a lot of effort and therefore the summoner has to recuperate before being able to cast a new summoning spell. One question though, will this work for different champs? If my 'fire magic champ' has summoned a powerfull fire creature, will my 'air magic champ' then still be able to cast an air creature the next turn? If that would still be possible I would absolutely go for this option.

August 14, 2013 12:22:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd vote for 5, once again dependent on implementation.

August 15, 2013 10:58:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Abob101,

I would vote for 5 also but taking in consideration what LordtheRon said if the cool down is global then i don't like it either.

I also would like to report that the Procipinee crown doesn't generate 1 mana per turn as advertised.

Keep up the good work!

August 16, 2013 9:47:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the feedback Nightmurderer03.  

Nice spot with the crown, doesn't look like it's possible to produce a resource from an item.  I've changed Procipinee crown to +5 Spell Mastery, +5 Spell Resistance and +5% Spell Damage for the next release.

August 16, 2013 9:53:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

BTW guys i've tested option 5 mentioned above.... it worked pretty well.  Except the way I implemented it I had problem the problem that once you cast a spell and the summoner cooldown kicked in.... all the summon spells would be hidden from the spellbook AND from the path screen (when you hover over a spellbook).  That was really annoying me.  Other than that it worked perfectly... and was rather cool.  But I just don't like the fact that while you're waiting for Champion X to be able to cast another summons..... you can't see the summon spells they have.

So for now at least, next release I'm just going to go for a cooldown on each strategic summons spell.  At least I know there are no side effects for that approach.  

Should be ready sometime in the next week I hope.  Have included some balance changes.

August 16, 2013 11:18:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking forward to it. Meanwhile I hope to find out what's crashing my current game.

August 16, 2013 9:05:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

BTW guys i've tested option 5 mentioned above.... it worked pretty well.  Except the way I implemented it I had problem the problem that once you cast a spell and the summoner cooldown kicked in.... all the summon spells would be hidden from the spellbook AND from the path screen (when you hover over a spellbook).  That was really annoying me.  Other than that it worked perfectly... and was rather cool.  But I just don't like the fact that while you're waiting for Champion X to be able to cast another summons..... you can't see the summon spells they have.

So for now at least, next release I'm just going to go for a cooldown on each strategic summons spell.  At least I know there are no side effects for that approach.  

Should be ready sometime in the next week I hope.  Have included some balance changes.

Sounds great.

So any chance you are making some new champions with the summoner profession to include with the mod?  

August 18, 2013 8:21:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
So any chance you are making some new champions with the summoner profession to include with the mod?

The current version has 4 champs, I will be adding more with the next major release (where i'll be adding 4 new spell schools).

The next version (just about ready), i'm putting in a few goodie huts with some of the new units though.  I figure seeing as i've created the units might as well throw a few out into the world also.

August 18, 2013 2:17:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh boy, this mod is becoming a true gem. I'm immensely enjoying the current version but 4 new spell schools... GREAT!

August 18, 2013 8:37:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LordTheRon,

Oh boy, this mod is becoming a true gem. I'm immensely enjoying the current version but 4 new spell schools... GREAT!

I concur!

August 18, 2013 8:46:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LordTheRon,

+2 i also concur

Can't wait for the new schools abob101, keep up the good work!

August 19, 2013 2:36:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love this mod.   Has anyone tried with the Children of the Storm mod at all?  I'd love it if those 2 could work together, although I am a little skeptical.  

August 25, 2013 3:22:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated to v0.3 (compatible with LH 1.3).

Bit of a shame I had to cut the casting time for strategic summons, however in the end I feel the cooldown that it used now is much more streamlined.  It also means that the familiar should be able to use all the summons now (previously some were bugged).

This release is mostly balance stuff.  I'm now working on added new spellbooks.

Here's the changelog:

New Stuff

- Added monster lairs for Inferno Spider, Cacus Giant, Cyxel, Dire Boar, Crag Lord, Storm Giant. These may appear randomly on the map like other goodie huts though they are less common than most other monster lairs
- Added the Bloodletter demon (Death5 summons)
- Added a reference list of summons to the doco

Balance

- Path of the Summoner now unlocks Counterspell
- Riptide now knocks target units prone unless resisted
- Pull of the Earth moved to Arcane Arsenal ability in the Mage Path (previously unlocked via Third Book of the Magi Tech)
- Archon, Storm Giant, Crag Lord, Cacus Giant, Oceanborn all buffed a bit, and are now the level 5 summons for their element (replacing the Crow Demon etc)
- Death5 summons changed from Death Demon to Bloodletter (new monster type)
- Windwalker now immune to Lightning
- Undine now has a new ranged ability "Leech" which transfers 1 hit point per caster level from enemy unit to the caster unless resisted
- In Summoner Path, each Summoner level ability now is only +1 level to summons (previosuly some were +2). Summon Drake, Summon Shrill Lord and Summon Dragon now take longer to reach and have higher minimum level requirements. Added the Shrill Master ability. Elemental Warlords ability replaced with the Summon Servant ability.
- All the core spellbook summons now have +1 level per shard of their respective type (previously level 1 to 3 summons did not)
- Strategic summons no longer render the caster immobile, instead they have a cooldown.
- Increased AI priority for summons spells across the board, particularly higher level ones to try and get AI to use them a bit more
- A few other minor tweaks

Fixes

- Changed/fixed Procipinee's Crown so that is provides +5 Spell Mastery, +5 Spell Resistance and +5% Spell Damage
- Familiar should now be able to cast any summoning spells that the Sovereign can (previously some strategic summons were bugged)

August 25, 2013 3:43:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay! Going to test this out after I get back from a few days vacation. Looks like a fine update abob. Looking forward to those high level summons.

August 25, 2013 8:47:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Noooo where's my death demon?????.

Thanks for the update Abob101, just a question did those perks which decrease the casting time get updated to decrease cooldown time?.

Also where's my death demon?????

Keep up the good work!

Edit: Wow just saw an ai attack me with a dark angel, might i mention that dark angel made the difference for them?, between 1.3 and this mod might be a good time to bring the ai down to challenging or stop putting them all on teams .

Very nice that i hope to see level 5 summons too!.

August 25, 2013 9:08:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,

I love this mod.   Has anyone tried with the Children of the Storm mod at all?  I'd love it if those 2 could work together, although I am a little skeptical.  

With the first released version of this mod, I've tried running both and certainly encountered some problems doing that, so I wouldn't recommend it right now.  And unless I've missed something, I've seen no mention of CoS compatibility since then so I'm assuming this hasn't changed.

Are there still plans for a compatiblity patch with CoS?  No doubt many would love you for it. 

August 26, 2013 12:08:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Victor5,

Quoting Murteas, reply 62

With the first released version of this mod, I've tried running both and certainly encountered some problems doing that, so I wouldn't recommend it right now.  And unless I've missed something, I've seen no mention of CoS compatibility since then so I'm assuming this hasn't changed.

Are there still plans for a compatiblity patch with CoS?  No doubt many would love you for it. 

Indeed this + CoS would be awesome!

August 26, 2013 10:22:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Played through a long epic game yesterday and I got to say that 0.3 is so damn much fun. Many thanks for sharing this Abob101. The work that's gone into fine tuning the mod is very apparent and everything seems solid. Balance is a bit off, naturally, since power leveling towards a strong summoned unit makes for a very expansive early game. For the AI that creates a "luck of the draw" situation. Some nations stumble across a combination of several sources of mana income as well as mage type champions, and thus mop the floor with others that have just warriors and metal.

Still the mechanics are working really well. Summoners are strong but they are hardly invincible. It's just that it's the least item dependant class and so is only limited in strength by the mana income and summoning pool. Which a player can easily plan ahead for and optimize. But late game squads of normal units steamroll through the summoned units, as it should be. By then the summoner should be a support for the main army, not the actual main army.

The only way I can see to get around the other classes of champions being so weak in comparison would be a pretty large overhaul of the combat mechanics. If weapons and armour just added a few points to damage, as well as special effects, and the base stats were the source most of the unit strength then these classes would be less dependent on lucking out on the loot. Right now a mage is just somewhat worse than a warrior when wearing the same gear, and the mage is only about a hundred mana from killing the warrior outright by late game. The summoner is less artillery but every turn that the warrior (or assassin, defender, commander) fails to kill the summoner then there's suddenly one additional strong unit on the field.

August 26, 2013 11:03:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the feedback Wauthan.  

Quoting Wauthan,
Balance is a bit off, naturally, since power leveling towards a strong summoned unit makes for a very expansive early game.

If you have any specific examples of summons or strategies that are obviously over power compared would like to hear them, as i'm all for some subtle tweaks now to try and make sure nothing stands out as being too over the top.

Quoting Wauthan,
But late game squads of normal units steamroll through the summoned units, as it should be. By then the summoner should be a support for the main army, not the actual main army.

Yeah cool that's the intent.

I have some ideas in the pipeline for faction traits that would allow more summoned units at the expense of trained units, but that's a little way off yet.

Quoting Wauthan,
The only way I can see to get around the other classes of champions being so weak in comparison would be a pretty large overhaul of the combat mechanics.

Yeah this is a tough one.  I think you're right, this mod probably does put the Mage & Summoner as fairly clear frontrunners when compared to the other paths.  I'm thinking about some tweaks that could be made to the Warrior etc to give them a bit of a boost.  The one that comes to mind is to give them the armor traits straight up with their class.  I always felt that as soon as you pick Warrior that should straight away give you plate proficiency.... or at least chain.  That would straight away give the Warrior a couple of trait picks that could be used for other things.  

August 26, 2013 11:10:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nightmurderer03,
Edit: Wow just saw an ai attack me with a dark angel

Yay!

Quoting Nightmurderer03,
Noooo where's my death demon?????.

Heh, was wondering if anyone would miss that.  Thing was... the death demon was really a bit too powerful.  To keep him there I would have had to make it much higher mana and/or summon pool cost.  Decided to go for a slightly lesser demon instead.  Give the Bloodletter a go, I think it's a fun unit.  He works well against big nasties like Ogres, Troll Warrios, Guardian Statues and stuff.... use the syphon strength ability to boost his attack... then get stuck into combat.

I'm actually planning on putting the death demon back in.... but at the end of the Angel summoning line for Empire allegiance.  So he'll be back but you'll just have to plow through a heap of other stuff to get to him in future.

August 26, 2013 11:18:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Guys regarding CoS, I'll take a look at it at some point after the next update with the new spellbooks.  It would be cool to have a compatible version, i'm just not sure how much work it would be.

August 26, 2013 1:15:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This mod is full of so much awesomeness.   Keep up the great work!

August 26, 2013 2:15:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

If you have any specific examples of summons or strategies that are obviously over power compared would like to hear them, as i'm all for some subtle tweaks now to try and make sure nothing stands out as being too over the top.

I could but they would boil down to the same thing. You now have units available from a source you didn't bother with earlier. E.g. I start out with my two vanilla units (spearman and militia). Settle a city somewhere with at least two enchantment slots. Add the enchantment that gives me more mana. Kill off some weak monsters and grab the easy loot. I should after just a few turns have enough mana call my first tier summon. I now have four units (with the corresponding increase in swarm bonus) and should soon thereafter have enough fame for my first hero.

I shoot for researching the first increase in army size and as soon as I reach it I have six units. By this time I should have enough xp and mana to call two second tier summon, and if the first tier one is still around I'll send it to scout. I alternate between increasing one spell school and getting the squads upgrades for the low tier summon spells.

It doesn't take long to have a full stack of two heroes + 4 squads of three of the first tier summon. All first tier summons are stronger than spearmen (because spears are the suck, why 5 rounds recharge on the weak tactical ability?) and are more durable than militia. Also, since I never have to interrupt the building queues of my first town to make units I'm ahead in both the number and quality of my cities, compared to usual.

Simply put the vanilla summons felt like such a bad investment of mana that I only used them in emergencies. Your summons are well worth the investment so I plan around it.

In my game I was specializing in water magic. That path now has weak tier 1 and 2 (nagas could use more poison damage because they go down fast for their cost, and since poison doesn't stack dps wouldn't get crazy) but a very strong tier 3 (a squad is strong enough to take on lategame units), a pointless tier 4 (ice elemental is just plain bad, no defence and just a slow on hit special. Fighting something made out of living ice should at least be a little worrying, not something a single squad of militia can deal with) and an awesome tier 5 (goes down fast if unsupported but they are worth every point of mana). The Undine is a good support unit, especially combined with a high initiative army. The AI seems to hate Undines and tend to target them first. I liked the selection of units, except the ice elemental, and I'm glad you allowed for a more dynamic difference between the spell schools. As a summoner sovereign you have to put some though into what school you choose and when to summon each unit.

August 26, 2013 8:21:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

the death demon was really a bit too powerful.

You're right about that, fear alone made it vastly superior to other summons in elemental branches.

Quoting abob101,

I'm actually planning on putting the death demon back in.... but at the end of the Angel summoning line for Empire allegiance.  So he'll be back but you'll just have to plow through a heap of other stuff to get to him in future.

This please!, also this would make the angel branch worth taking because honestly right now who takes this branch instead of dragon branch?, might need to give the demon a few buffs now to really make it a choice between dragon path and this path and also give something good to kingdoms as well for the end of this branch.

Edit: also who would pick Delin instead of the dragon, that summon is a disgrace, haven't used it in your mod but im guessing its untouched?

August 26, 2013 10:54:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe paths for non-mage, non-summoner could get bonuses to various stats per level.  For example, Warrior could get bonuses to attack and spell resist per level somewhere early in the tree (or part of the path trait itself).  It is possible to give decimal bonuses per level, it doesn't have to be at least 1.  Defender could maybe get a reduced amount of attack per level, and some defense per level, and probably some elemental resists per level (+1% all resists, including poison, per level might work well).  If Warrior got bonus attack and spell resist per level, and defender got a reduced attack bonus per level plus bonus defense per level, plus say 1% all elemental and poison resists per level, that would make them a lot better.

Maybe assassin could get spell resist and elemental resist (without any attack or defense bonuses or poison resist) per level.  If not already in there, they could get hardy somewhere in the tree (it makes sense that assassins could become immune to poison).

Importantly, I would also suggest that all paths get an appropriately themed counterspell reasonably early in the tree.

And to make the armor proficiency traits more valuable, perhaps provide some other bonus?  Maybe all classes with selectable Chain Proficiency: +Chain +2 Defense, Warrior/Defender Plate Proficiency +Plate +3 Defense.

I think combining per level themed bonuses for the currently weaker classes such as above, giving a bonus to the Proficiencies such as above, and giving a themed counterspell fairly early on for all classes would be quite interesting and may well make the classes closer in power.

So abob101, what do you think?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time: