[eMOD] Demons and Wizards (Updated for 1.8)

By on July 21, 2013 2:41:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

abob101

Join Date 11/2010
+49

Now updated for LH 1.8 compatibility.   Download here via Nexus.

Updated to version 1.8a, includes compatability with LH 1.8 as well as a number of bug fixes, enhancements and balance tweaks.  See here for the full change log.

http://demonsandwizards.wikidot.com/

Changelog

http://demonsandwizards.wikidot.com/main:changelog

Key Features

• 4 new spellbooks (Nature, Shadow, Battle, Beast)
  • Enhanced summoning mechanics with over 80 different creature to summon
  • Religion mechanics including "Faith" resource, disciple units and divine spells
  • 3 new paths (Summoner, Priest and Ranger) and an overhauled Mage class
  • 15 new factions/races with unique blood types
  • 40 new champions

Credits

Heavenfall – For the BG Unitstats library, a few bits from Children of Storm, some ideas borrowed from the Goetia Mod, the Cacus Giant, lots of invaluable advice and assistance regarding modding FE/LH. Go checkout Children of Storm if you haven't already (http://childrenofstorm.wikidot.com/).

Davrovana - Faction, Sovereign, Champion backstories.
Nightmurderer03 - Lots of ideas, unit designs, beta testing and feedback.

ManiiNames, NaytchSG – beta testing the early versions.
jeffqyzt2 – Champion backstories.
parrottmath – Maul debuff mod and his outstanding contribution to FE/LH modding.
DsRaider - Some faction traits, some bits from AIPlus, inspiration from his various great mods.
Primal_Savage - For the ClotheLootFix and lots of help with LH modding along the way.
OliverFA_306, GfireflyE, Murteas, Brainjuggler, Naidrev, LordTheRon (and lots of others) - for providing ideas, feedback and discussion which is invaluable when working on this stuff.
fsemprini – For the Summoner Path selection graphic.
brich1212 - for the original Ranger path mod.

Stardock - for an awesome game

Screenshots

349 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 11, 2014 8:18:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OK cool glad you got it sorted.

November 12, 2014 9:25:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey man! Long time, waited anxiously for your newest update and here it is! Ok, question for you. i'm sure you have gotten these questions before, with COS, the A_LHLIB_UnitStat_BG_vL is the same from both mods, any advise how to deal with it?

Also, i've tried your mod with Deconstruct and COS and have experienced crashes, heck at this time i'll ask you or any of the community if they know if the SNAKING Mod still works or is needed and also the River Bridge? 

any and all advise is appreciated, thanks everyone and specxially you ABOB for an amazing mod! 

November 12, 2014 11:09:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can confirm that snaking, riverbridge and swamp tiles all three work with d&w with no problems by themselves.

November 13, 2014 8:09:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Maseren,

Thanks glad you like it.  I haven't tested with Deconstruct, but there will most likely be some issues because both mods are so large.  COS should be mostly compatible but I haven't tested it for a while.  Try removing the rivermod part of COS and see if that helps if you want to try and get them working together.

You only need one A_LHLIB_UnitStat_BG_vL, they should both install to the same location... so just overwrite one with the other.  If for some reason you have ended up with 2 copies in the mod folder, remove one or you'll have issues.

Thanks NM for confirmation that snaking, riverbridge and swamp tiles mods work, I might try those myself in future.

November 13, 2014 8:13:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Working on a patch now, currently it includes some bug fixes, couple of new prayers for the Priest and some more interesting stuff for the Dremorian Nation. Hoping to do a few smaller patches now rather than a 12 month gap between releases....  

November 14, 2014 10:35:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Blackhoodlum, looking into these issues now...

Quoting Blackhoodlum,

First off, when designing darkling units (by editing an existing one) it isn't possible to choose a pose for the unit when you save it, meaning the unit icon is only a background. It does work to choose a pose for the darkling warg rider though, but that's probably because it's mounted (in other words you get to choose between the 3 warg poses).

Hadn't noticed that thanks.  Checking it out should be able to fix it.

Also another visual thing is that all darkling units equipped with helms have them partly inside of their heads with the top of the helmet completely covered by the skull of the darkling and the back of the helmet sticking out of their necks.

Thanks will try and sort something out.

Second, i can't seem to be able to train the darkling shaman henchman, like at all. I've researched cooperation (and way beyond that, too) but i don't see it in my cities as a train-able unit. Are there any other requirements to train them?

Just tested it, worked fine for me.  They require 25 Gold and 15 Fame each to train, did you have enough Fame?

If it's not that, then if you get a minute try it with the Empire of Gorgal faction that comes with D&W, and let me know if that works.  I haven't tested it with a custom faction although I can't think why it wouldn't work.

Third, the wages for the base unit type "Darkling" and "Darkling Warrior" are really high, 0.3/unit for Darkling and 0.5/unit for Darkling Warrior. The "Darkling Archer" and "Darkling Rider" both have a wage of 0.1/unit (though since the darkling archer and warrior are essentially the same, i usually just base my units off the archer).

Yeah tough one this, not sure what the best way to go is.  In the next patch i'm making Darkling units free (like Magnar Slaves).  Also getting rid of the basic Darkling seeing as they are pointless after you research Training anyway.    Not sure if that's the best way but we'll give it a go.

November 14, 2014 12:55:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey-

dragged my feet on reporting this, maybe you've noticed it already. But the Dremorian and their Vigilant Watchtower in cities, I noticed it gave an initiative boost for the whole battle, not just the first round.

This was awhile ago (before release), and I just looked at the xml and it seems to be right. If you didn't fix this recently, then maybe the <xActions> tag doesn't work for improvements?

November 15, 2014 6:11:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey abob!! Question I'm having issues getting your resources on the map, no crystal and no metal, no battle shrines or nature etc... I believe I also removed the rivermod from my COS installation. Am I missing something?? It used to work before latest mod, I'm wondering if the resource limits are being reached somehow? Any advise would be appreciated. 

November 15, 2014 9:00:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Maseren

What other mods have you got installed, COS without the rivermod... anything else?

The main thing is to make sure you have got the file JB_DemonsWizards_Core.xml sitting in your data\English core folder.  It should be in your Mods folder after you've unzipped, and you need to remove it from there and add it into the core folder (unfortunately I just couldn't get it to work any other way).

Make sure you have not left a copy of that file in your mods folder somewhere, that can cause problems.  Check that, if you're sure that's right we'll go from there.

Edit -> BTW, I changed the name of the core folder file in this latest version, also check that you don't have any other files from the old D&W sitting in that core folder from older versions, specifically JB_CustomShardsNewBooks_Core.xml.  If that is in there remove it.

Really tempted to create and installer.

@Stardock - Steam Workshop !!

November 15, 2014 10:07:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

@Stardock - Steam Workshop !!

Please!

Really missing the old FE mod installer!

November 17, 2014 8:50:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

Working on a patch now, currently it includes some bug fixes, couple of new prayers for the Priest and some more interesting stuff for the Dremorian Nation. Hoping to do a few smaller patches now rather than a 12 month gap between releases....  

The nerve of you!  Doing things in your spare time for free to improve a game I got for free!  Why I oughta... 

My laptop died, so no playtesting for me for a bit, but keep up the awesome work!

November 27, 2014 3:10:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First of all. GREAT MOD!

I'm doing my first play through and it feels great so far.

I got 1 question though. The mod says it includes an AI patch as well, but so far the AI is still dissapointing, just like they were in normal FE:LH. Actually I don't notice any difference really. They are very passive toward me and the few times I encounter an army of theirs I know that my army will steamroll it.

This is at challenging difficulty though, maybe I should try an harder difficulty, but at this difficulty there usually are a few AI's that have an higher score than me early game, halfway I usually passed them though. I tried hard once and they were running away from me very fast so that was a bit intimidating I guess.

Still I don't see a difference with the normal AI, so I wonder what does the AI patch do?

November 27, 2014 10:31:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Subiwk, glad you're enjoying it. 

There is some tweaks to the AI included but it's mostly around the priority the AI applies to build order... the AI is more likely to build production improving and unrest reducing buildings.  

There's a few tweaks to the relationship modifiers, and i'm still playing with those to try and get the AI to be a bit more aggressive.  I've also got some other ideas that i'm working on to try and help out the AI.

But yeah in the meantime, go up to Hard.  I normally play with about 9 AI opponents and used to play Challenging... now I go with Hard most of the time.  If you're a real power player you'll want to go on a higher difficulty than that.  The AI in this game is pretty decent but not very good at combining spells + specialized cities so they need a little bit of help.

The other thing to try if you want more of a challenge is to team up a couple of AI players when you setup the game.

Cheers.

PS - working on the 1.8 update with a few new goodies also, hopefully not too far away.

November 27, 2014 10:38:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Crystal Golem coming in the next patch...

November 28, 2014 3:18:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

Hi Subiwk, glad you're enjoying it. 

There is some tweaks to the AI included but it's mostly around the priority the AI applies to build order... the AI is more likely to build production improving and unrest reducing buildings.  

There's a few tweaks to the relationship modifiers, and i'm still playing with those to try and get the AI to be a bit more aggressive.  I've also got some other ideas that i'm working on to try and help out the AI.

But yeah in the meantime, go up to Hard.  I normally play with about 9 AI opponents and used to play Challenging... now I go with Hard most of the time.  If you're a real power player you'll want to go on a higher difficulty than that.  The AI in this game is pretty decent but not very good at combining spells + specialized cities so they need a little bit of help.

The other thing to try if you want more of a challenge is to team up a couple of AI players when you setup the game.

Cheers.

PS - working on the 1.8 update with a few new goodies also, hopefully not too far away.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Ok I understand what tweaks were done to the AI. Those tweaks should really help them with developing their 'countries' though so they are certainly useful. No AI tweaks toward aggresiveness or preferred unit build choice so that explains a lot.

I'm not a real power player, but a garanteed win isn't much fun ofcourse so I'm definately going to try something first.

Before going up to hard I'll make them team up. Should be more challenging ofcourse.... oh wait, maybe I should try to play a non-wealthy nation for once... I find wealthy to be very powerful. Get an army size maxxed out early and your good to expand quickly, but it's not that easy to fund when your not wealthy.

Guess I'll chose a non wealthy sovereign and team the AI's up. Ready to get spanked!

Once again thanks for the great work. People like you deserve the praise.

Oh an tip for your mod. Make an Hall of Fame. When I finished a game it's as if all the work was for nothing. Am I the only one with that feeling? I always like the Hall of Fames in Civ for example. When you finish a game you can compare it to earlier games and reminds you of earlier games.

If there allready is a mod for this I'd like to know it as well

November 28, 2014 3:29:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh there is 1 more question.

I can't seem to choose any of the new hero classes with my sovereign. Once he/she reaches lvl 2 I just get the the normal 5 choices. Am I missing something?

November 28, 2014 6:23:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

Crystal Golem coming in the next patch...

Awesome. How did you make it?

November 29, 2014 9:17:29 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Oh there is 1 more question.

I can't seem to choose any of the new hero classes with my sovereign. Once he/she reaches lvl 2 I just get the the normal 5 choices. Am I missing something? Endquote.

If the mod is installed correctly you just need to scroll down with the mouse wheel to see the second screen. 

November 30, 2014 1:39:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks NaytchSG!

So simple, but if you don't know it

November 30, 2014 3:44:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is this mod compatible with children of the storm 1.8?

November 30, 2014 4:59:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Pretty sure it does.
December 1, 2014 9:01:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Subiwk,

Thanks NaytchSG!

So simple, but if you don't know it

Yep you can scroll with the mouse, but I highly recommmed Primals mod here to make the window wider:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/452109/page/1/#0

It's simple to install and works a treat.

December 1, 2014 9:08:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DsRaider,

Awesome. How did you make it?

Thanks, modeled the mesh and created the texture myself.... took me bloody ages, i'm a complete hack when it comes to modelling but i've always wanted to learn a bit.  I used the base kingdom male mesh as a start point and went from there.   Was frustrating but fun.    

December 1, 2014 9:12:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Subiwk,

Oh an tip for your mod. Make an Hall of Fame. When I finished a game it's as if all the work was for nothing. Am I the only one with that feeling?

Nope you're not, but it can't be modded in unfortunately.  We've asked Stardock a few times in the past, hopefully there will be a 2.0 update early next year so you never know... 

December 1, 2014 9:16:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sunray242,

Is this mod compatible with children of the storm 1.8?

It should be compatible for the most part.  I'll hopefully have a D&W 1.8 update shortly but the current version should still work fine.

If you happen to try and find anything strange let me know.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time: