Think I've made an error :)

By on July 10, 2013 8:03:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Add1cted

Join Date 07/2013

Hi all,

Got this game a couple of days ago, and am liking it a lot, but as I'm just starting out I'm obviously making a fair few mistakes and feeling out the game.

Last night I started a quest with my lead army, mid game, inside the territory of a city that I'd just captured.  This is an army that has smashed everything in it's path...

The quest ended up summoning a massive dragon in my territory, and I stepped up to fight it, getting wiped out almost immediately.  Opening turn was his and he wiped out three units off the bat with a ranged attack, taking the health down to about 20% on my 2 juggernauts too.Fight lasted 2 more turns.

Reloaded to try again twice and same thing happened, cant get near it!

My question is, how do I deal with this thing.  I've left it alone and now it's wandering about (not yet attacking my city) .  Takes down my toughest units, heavy armour and all.

Thoughts?

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 10, 2013 8:36:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Get fire resists on your army and hero. Use strategic spells to weaken him before battle. 

Dragons are very beatable, just not without the proper preparation. 

July 10, 2013 8:54:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Leave it alone until you can take it out. You'll want troops with fire resistance cloaks, and ideally Nature's Cloak (Earth spell), otherwise the dragon will kill everyone with its breath, as you found out. It may kill a city or two but there's no point losing armies as well as cities by attacking it with armies which are too weak.

Assuming you have fire resistance you'll then want either lots of strong units (warg ice staff troops would be nice if you have them available), and/or a strong mage. Shadowbolts and Kill should do the trick if you have a high initiative Death archmage and enough mana. Tactically summoning a Grave Elemental to give all units within one tile resurrection (Death Ward) is very helpful. Summon Skeleton Horde can be surprisingly effective by giving swarm bonuses and getting the dragon to use attacks killing skeletons. A buffed Lightbringer or hero can probably survive if you put it on defend and it has Nature's cloak, allowing you to attack with other troops (such as ice staffs). Evade, stoneskin, gift of iron or diamondskin would help. Growth can help your troops do some damage. Shrink and Syphon Strength would help, but generally you don't want resistible spells against high magic resistance targets, so that also rules out Slow, Curse, Blindness, unless you have a very high spell mastery mage or you want to cast a few shadowbolts. Haste is always helpful, cast it on your mage as early as you can. Healing spells may be helpful if your troops survive the first attacks. Buying blizzard scrolls and potions for your heroes would help. Strategic spells Wither and Freeze would be helpful, or Tremor if you just want to stop the dragon doing damage to your kingdom.

Hope some of that works for you. I had a similar experience in one of my early games where I got smashed by a quest Dark Sorcerer, it was ages before I had a strong enough army to kill him, but he didn't actually do too much damage while wandering through my kingdom randomly.

July 10, 2013 9:08:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with all of the above. Ice staffs can be surprisingly effective vs dragons. 

July 10, 2013 9:16:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, thanks for the advice and help, especially Merlinme.  Still getting to grips with a lot of the game concepts so will look into all of the above and see what I can learn.

Really liking this game, seems to have a nice level of depth.  Only picked it up because I'm waiting for Rome 2 to come out in September and needed something to keep me occupied, and having played a few other games by this studio thought I'd give it a whirl. Now thinking Rome 2 may take a backseat for a bit

Cheers

July 10, 2013 10:10:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

they forgt the most godly spell,

Manashild with enough realm mana, your hero becomes immortal with it.

July 10, 2013 10:28:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Never even seen Mana Shield before, you learn something new every day. The current spellbook says that's a quest unlock though, which would explain why I've not come across it.

To be honest mana is usually scarce and I would imagine most of the time in a battle like that there are better ways to spend it, however it could help you to keep your tank unit alive if you can't do it any other way.

July 10, 2013 10:40:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got it in my single hero assasine dodge army/demigod run. my custommade hero was level 10 when he finished the quest. He never used spells, but with manshild i found a reason to use my realm mana. He had the no mana cost starter item for buffs (in my oppion the strongest item in game). He started the arena quest with level 13 and finshed it with 17, with even killing the golems at the end^^

My advice for manaproblems --> get a mage with familar, crull of the weak and rise sekelton/army. Fight against a weak group, put a high defence unit agianst the last suviver of the enemies. Raise skelletons and kill them with crull. with on mage, you can summon 10 skellton who brings you 200 mana, for 40 mana summon cost. means 160 mana + for your realm. When he has a familar, he can do the same... 320+ realm mana. IN ONE FIGHT. you can repeat it nearly in every fight. you will have never mana problems again.

July 10, 2013 12:03:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm aware of the Skeleton Horde/ Cull the Weak exploit, and to be honest I wish they'd get rid of it by making Cull the Weak only usable on Trained troops, as with Deathlash. However kudos to you for taking it to a whole new level by using a familiar to double the available mana!

July 10, 2013 12:17:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, my familar use beastmaster tame, too....

July 11, 2013 7:53:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Enough about exploits, back on topic...

That quest is the worst quest (with the worst results, I mean. I like the fact that quests are somewhat unpredictable) in the game. It's not an error on your part, OP. This game can be harsh sometimes.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time: