A Very Modest Proposal

By on June 30, 2013 5:28:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

dacty4491

Join Date 11/2012

Stardock, when you click "Declare War" against another player, would it be possible to request verification before proceeding, perhaps with a screen that asks "Are you sure?". The reason I ask is because a couple of times I've accidentally clicked the "Declare War" button when I intended to click the "Make a Proposal" button. Of course, I can always reload the game, but that usually means that I have to replay some turns, which can be annoying.

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 30, 2013 9:54:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed, the diplomacy of the game seems lacking.

Which is surprising, considering one of my favorite diplomacy implementations was that of GalCiv, where you could put things for the deal and compare, then you had to offer it, same went for war, you could hit the 'we declare war' and see the enemy look at you meanly, but unless you hit SEND, it was safe.

July 3, 2013 10:08:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Upon reading the title of the OP, I had expected it to be about eating young ogres, or something similar.

Anyway, a confirmation would be nice, and wouldn't be annoying since you don't declare war very often.

July 3, 2013 10:14:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Solution; Play higher difficulty, then the AI will declare on YOU before any silly menus

July 4, 2013 10:43:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pro-tip: never simply declare war on someone. Let one of the other factions pay you to go to war   

No 'declare war' button necessary.

July 4, 2013 10:53:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fallenchar,
Pro-tip: never simply declare war on someone. Let one of the other factions pay you to go to war   

No 'declare war' button necessary.

I define this a major oversight and a painfully cheap exploit that, imo, needs to be addressed.

I'm completely fine with the AI coming to you and offering you to go to war with whom THEY want you to go to war with. I'm also completely fine with you going to them and paying them to start a war with someone you plan to go to war with.

However, never should you be able to pay yourself to go to war with your intended target. The diplomacy and AI just isn't near good enough for that level of intrigue. For such a mechanic to exist properly, the AI would have to be able to judge how willing you are to declare war on another faction and adjust their offer accordingly.

July 4, 2013 11:01:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Imo, it would be best if they removed this feature altogether. It doesn't add anything to the game, except an easy exploit.

The AI, even the tiniest faction, asks exorbitant amounts to go to war for you, and if you cannot win a war by yourself, you shouldn't be able to afford this option anyway.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time: