What happened to Global Warming?

By on June 20, 2013 9:54:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ZombiesRus5

Join Date 02/2009
+321

What happened to Global Warming?

When I put my first above ground pool in around the late 90's we were able to open it in April and start swimming in May.

Now my pool is just opened and still not warm enough to swim in

I'd like some global warming back...

2913 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 31, 2014 9:32:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hear! Hear!

July 31, 2014 9:49:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Jafo, Jafo, Jafo.  Like rain on the Rose Parade. 

July 31, 2014 10:17:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Some additional perspective.

July 31, 2014 11:51:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1) Lengthy pauses in rising temperatures were predicted by climate change models despite steady increases in greenhouse gasses.  See the posts immediately above.  For example:

Only in politics do you get to say you predicted something after adjusting your answers to fit what happened.  You're an exceedingly trusting individual to simply write off the entire body of work to date every time they adjust it to fit and proclaim their clairvoyance on the matter of where it will be later.

(This was included in my previous links if you actually bothered to read them)

I did, it was immediately obvious why you shouldn't have bothered to link it.  If you actually read it without being a mindless zombie, you find that they took most of their data from Smith et. al.  This work from 2009 predates the pause entirely in most of their data used, they take a data set that stopped at 2002, extend it out to 2005 using clearly incorrect data that shows 2004 being hotter than 1998(magic?), and you link it in 2014 as if it explains something.  Irrelevant and incorrect at the same time.  We've had 9 more years of flat temperatures.  The last "pause" was caused by Mt. Pinatuba, and it lasted a whopping seven years.

Since you did link it again, do note that next year is supposed to be a record breaker, well above the highs of 1998.  Good luck with that.

2) The alleged pause in temperature rises doesn't actually exist.  This is from two separate arguments - both bad data analysis and bad understanding of how hypothesis testing works (both also covered in my previous link) on the part of skeptics/deniers.

To put it bluntly, you don't have any observation of a "pause" in temperatures other than the one arrived at by fallacious reasoning (equating "no statistically significant warming" with no warming).  If you have any evidence of the pause that actually uses appropriate hypothesis testing/statistical reasoning, by all means, I'd love to see it.  Nobody has provided that in this thread yet.

Anyone that linked to the GHCN, RSS, or UAH datasets(I've done so many times) has done exactly that.  Your mystical belief that there hasn't been a pause is right up there with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.  They gave up the ghost on this years ago, it's why your articles are several years old.

2005 was the last ray of sunshine in an increasingly cloudy outlook for AGW.  They were all abuzz when we had the second highest annual temperatures since satellite measurements started, finally things were looking more like they expected, with accelerating climbs.  Then they got dick for temperature increases the next nine years and now Al Gore spouts off random bullshit every so often when the stress from not being the richest man on Earth catches up to him.

August 1, 2014 7:51:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm looking forward to the time when the human intervention into climate change has been proven...and the likes of psychoak are proven to be idiot-savants...who are more idiot than savant.

Reality check.

You are not God's gift to the science world, no matter how you perceive your intellect.

One nay-sayer does NOT disprove the reality.

The world's investigation of the issues does NOT rely on what perception the US has or has not.  They are ONLY one SMALL entity wiithin the planetary cognisance.

At the ultimate reckoning...someone is going to look like an utter idiot.

Those who see human-assisted Climate change as a non-event will be the losers while vehemently espousing their non-culpibility.

Either way...I will be long dead before it affects me commercially...or any other way, so the topic is moot.

I still can't help but suggest that those who so arrogantly/vehemently oppose such a concept simply have some agenda to push for commercial gain.

Come on, people...try and find something, ANYTHING NOT covered in the past 89 pages of "my balls are bigger than yours because my shit don't stink"

I dare you.

August 1, 2014 8:18:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Come on, people...try and find something, ANYTHING NOT covered in the past 89 pages of "my balls are bigger than yours because my shit don't stink"

It's the dinosaurs fault.

If they hadn't died off, mammals would never have gotten the opportunity to evolve into humans, and no one would be around to have caused it (or not have caused it).

August 1, 2014 9:50:22 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,

No one has proven 'reality' yet. 

August 1, 2014 10:48:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

Quoting Jafo,

No one has proven 'reality' yet. 

Reality is a function of CO2 concentrations the atmosphere.

August 1, 2014 12:04:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A function for how much CO2 raises temperatures in an enclosed space is something anyone with the right equipment can test in a lab.  It fails to cover such everyday events as rain, thermals.

I'm looking forward to the time when the human intervention into climate change has been proven...and the likes of psychoak are proven to be idiot-savants...who are more idiot than savant.

High praise!  I don't think anyone has ever called me a savant before, I'm pretty sure just idiot would be a much more accurate representation.

Reality check.

You are not God's gift to the science world, no matter how you perceive your intellect.

The world's investigation of the issues does NOT rely on what perception the US has or has not.  They are ONLY one SMALL entity wiithin the planetary cognisance.

At the ultimate reckoning...someone is going to look like an utter idiot.

Those who see human-assisted Climate change as a non-event will be the losers while vehemently espousing their non-culpibility.

If you'd simply replace "the science world" with "literacy" we'd have something to talk about, but you're operating under the wonderfully flawed assumption that being unable to read isn't the problem.

It's like that magic survey that got this damnable thread rolling again on numerous occasions.  Some crooked asshole surveys thousands of peer reviewed articles, the majority of them are still arguing over whether we really have a problem and don't decide one way or the other, and comes back with a 97% "we're fucked" agreement.

I read it, the alarmists apparently can't see past the tagline and their own hysteria.

Fortunately, you can win one argument.  Well, sort of.  I'd never actually argue that I don't look like an idiot.  By virtue of this stupid t-shirt alone, I'm certain I look like an idiot.

Either way...I will be long dead before it affects me commercially...or any other way, so the topic is moot.

Little late for that, AGW is has been costing you a premium for a long time now.  Inflation rates are just so high from all the deficit spending that most westerners haven't noticed it.

I still can't help but suggest that those who so arrogantly/vehemently oppose such a concept simply have some agenda to push for commercial gain.

This is another one of those literacy bits.  Replace oppose with support, and you have billions of dollars in research grants that don't cover opposition research.  It's a common complaint of the IPCC reports, that they don't allocate any funding for contrary research.  People studying the impact of cosmic rays on cloud formation don't get such a nice, easy ride.

I'm pretty sure I already shot to hell every argument possible, but since I'm arguing with ideologically driven sheep they just glaze over whenever something disagreeable is presented.  I'm not too sure either of those are a sign of masculinity, but okay.

August 1, 2014 12:57:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Quoting Jafo,

It's the dinosaurs fault.

If they hadn't died off, mammals would never have gotten the opportunity to evolve into humans, and no one would be around to have caused it (or not have caused it).

No, No, No.  It is not the dinosaurs' fault.  How can you expect that collection of feathered lounge lizards to build an effective meteor deflecting system with nails like they had?  Blame it on their stars, the shooting star that hit what we call the Yucatan pinusala - it killed all the jumbo dinos.  SO the dinos are innocent! 

August 1, 2014 1:10:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

No, No, No.  It is not the dinosaurs' fault.  How can you expect that collection of feathered lounge lizards to build an effective meteor deflecting system with nails like they had?  Blame it on their stars, the shooting star that hit what we call the Yucatan pinusala - it killed all the jumbo dinos.  SO the dinos are innocent! 

Yea, yea, I've heard it before. That's what all the dino-apologist say. I supposed next, your going to claim it was the meteor's fault? A big hole in the ground doesn't prove anything.

August 1, 2014 2:17:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Everyone knows that real climate science is done in the basement with a good internet connection by analyzing spreadsheets and reading articles on blogs, just like Galileo would've done.

August 1, 2014 2:34:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ekko_Tek,

Everyone knows that real climate science is done in the basement with a good internet connection by analyzing spreadsheets and reading articles on blogs, just like Galileo would've done.

And then arguing it about it on internet forums.  That's always a very productive activity, and is never at all just one big circle jerk.

August 1, 2014 2:41:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Did you really need to pick someone that was(edit) arrested for disagreeing with the prevailing theory?

August 1, 2014 3:06:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think that was the point.

August 4, 2014 7:04:54 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It's only weather.  Unless it's hotter, or more 'extreme'.

August 10, 2014 4:03:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I found it!  I found it! I know what happens to global warming!  Its hiding under the tundra in Siberia! No holes in this theory!

August 10, 2014 4:24:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

CO2 has gone from 3 parts per 10,000 to 4 parts per 10,000 in the last 75 years or so.

At the same time, the world mean temperature has gone up about 0.5 degrees.

That is, basically, the whole argument in a nut shell. How much of that temperature change is the result of the CO2 increase.

Personally, I'll start caring the moment the people yelling about it start *acting* like they care.

August 10, 2014 5:54:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Yes, I'm sure you know more about GW than 97% of the world's scientists.
August 10, 2014 6:14:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

New scientific method: Never let factual data get in the way of a good ad hominem.

August 10, 2014 7:21:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

Science is true. Don't be misled by fact.

August 10, 2014 7:33:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

CO2 has gone from 3 parts per 10,000 to 4 parts per 10,000 in the last 75 years or so.

At the same time, the world mean temperature has gone up about 0.5 degrees.

That is, basically, the whole argument in a nut shell. How much of that temperature change is the result of the CO2 increase.

Personally, I'll start caring the moment the people yelling about it start *acting* like they care.

A correlation between two or more sets of data does not prove a causal relationship.  However, given the other data, and what we know about CO2 does strongly suggest that even if the increase in world mean temperature is related to something else, the increase in CO2 will further increase the world mean temp. 

August 10, 2014 9:26:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For people that have been paying attention to the actual facts, as opposed to the "science" behind their manipulation, the correlation isn't even solid.

Our temperature record may as well be wishful thinking at this point.  I'm not even sure we've warmed over the last century.  I thought we had, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to verify.  Take the Frog's last post, he said we've gained half a degree over the last 75 years or so.  That puts us in the late 30's.  According to GHCN, the US follows that worldwide trend, gaining half a degree over that period.  Where's the fallout?

1936 kicked the living crap out of the US, severe drought in half the bleeding country, 9 states hold record low summer precipitation for that year.  Since 2012 beats that by half a degree, what happened to all the things that come with a massive summer long heat wave?  The Midwest should be a smoking crater by now.  Where's the apocalypse?

August 11, 2014 12:43:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And, after a breather, we're off again!

August 22, 2014 12:11:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not much activity here for a while. let's get it rolling again.

Oceans Hid the Heat and Slowed Pace of Global Warming

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/oceans-hid-the-heat-and-slowed-pace-of-global-warming/

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000953   Page Render Time: