Faction overview: Resoln

By on June 18, 2013 7:22:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fallenchar

Join Date 11/2012
+10

I'd love to have in-depth guides for every faction, with tips for players and maybe some suggestions for devs/modders.

Unfortunately, I usually play custom factions. That's why I am only an expert with one faction, Resoln. If others like my suggestion of creating these threads for other factions, that would be awesome

Resoln

Wraith Blood: Of all the blood traits, this is the worst, in my opinion. -1 HP/level really hurts your champs. Relying on Dodge to save your #ss is a risk I would rather not take. This is partly preference, as I don't like too much randomness in turn based games.

Wraith Touch: This is awesome. It's not too powerful, since it's fairly low damage and the change of succes is often smaller than a normal attack. But it's fun and this faction needs some form of healing.

Race overall: Flavorful, but one of the weaker races.

Adepts: This trait illustrates the difference between the pre-made factions and custom ones. It's not bad and quite fitting for Resoln, but nobody would ever pick it for a custom faction, as it's too underpowered.

It's nice to be able to summon and debuff right away, and immediately harvest shards, but it's all very minor.

Binding: I love this trait. It's flavorful, and it makes those shards feel really special and well, magical. The elementals can give you a boost in early game. Since they are completely free of cost, they are always a welcome addition to any army. See below for details...

Cult of a hundred eyes: To be honest, I hardly ever use these lovely spiders. They are fun and useful for their web ability, but I never seem to have the mana to spare.

Binding and Spiders and Summoning is a bit too much of a good thing. How many (fairly weak) utility-monsters does an army need?

Death Worship: Another defining trait of Resoln. Also known as 'the Mana-sink'. Some fun spells, for a high cost. In practice I hardly ever use them, as I cannot afford the mana and I always use summon and debuff spells first.

Converting shards to Death can be fun, although you usually don't want to convert Water (as Ceresa has it) nor Air (Elementals and Crow Demons). Meanwhile your champs might have Earth and Fire magic too. That being said, it can be powerful. Besides using it for Wither, it also comboes with Curse. Cyndrum demons simply love Curse. They start multiplying as soon as your mouse hovers over the tooltip...

No armor: The obvious weakness to pick. I usually play Resoln without ever training troops, so it does not affect me at all. If you do decide to train troops, it might be easier to gamble on dodge anyway. 

Faction overall: Resoln are the bestest  Seriously, they are fun and the most unique faction. No contest. Not the most powerful, though. Cult and Binding are too similar and Adepts is too minor. Still, if you can get your mana-output going, you can easily crush your opponents in a completely original way. I am sure your enemies will appreciate that!

Oracle Ceresa

Summoner: She needs to have a mage profession, but like I said earlier, 3 'monster' traits is overkill. The Shadow warg is a great addition early game, however. The summoning line is probably easier than trying to become a 'damage mage'. With Swarming, even that free skeleton comes in handy. Air Elemental and Skeletal Horde are both very powerful and will beat anything short of Drakes.

Death II: An extra point in Death seems a bit of a waste. Although Ceresa (any mage) does need a lot of levels to come into her own, so it might not be so bad. Death is mostly about debuffing. Curse and Wither can be game-changers. Ceresa does need some Prodigy (spell mastery) to be an effective debuffer. As with other schools, higher levels lack similar go-to spells.

Water I: Slow is awesome, Inspiration is nice. Freeze (lvl 2) and Mantle of Oceans (lvl 3) are great as well, and worth the level-ups. Again, level 4 & 5 bring nothing worth mentioning

Attunement: This trait is a bit underpowered, compared to Procipinee's crown. It could be upped to 3 mana/turn. That being said, my lovely Oracle really needs it!

Sovereign Bond: Boo! This trait could be so much fun, if the Familiar was more useful. As it is, there are two things seriously wrong with Familiars:

They start at level 1, even though the caster summons at a higher level. I am not sure if this is working as intended, but it seems like a bug.

They look like wolves, but only have movement two. As soon as you get a mount, you will have to leave your beloved familiar behind. As you probably do not cast it on turn 1, this leaves only a couple of turns to level up and enjoy your familiar.

Scarred: Very flavorful, but man, this can really hurt! This might come as a surprise for some, but during the early game, Ceresa can actually be your most sturdy unit. Really. Having 20-30 health and almost no regeneration can seriously put a damper on your tanking qualities.

Sovereign overall: Again, not lacking in flavor. Summoner is a great profession, facilitating a good start and boosting half your spells throughout the game. The spell schools are decent and the extra mana much needed. If I would create a custom Wraith Sovereign, I would always give it 'Hardy', but that's not wraith-like. Brilliance, on the other hand, would be an excellent addition to Ceresa. It could replace Death II, or Sovereign Bond until it gets fixed.

Binding in detail:

Every shard can provide 3 elementals, a Young, normal (nameless) and Ancient version of the same demon, depending on the level of the shard. You can only have one type per shard, but if the weaker version is still alive when you upgrade the shard, it will stick around until it dies. Life shards provide no demons, but Empires convert Life to Death automatically.

Air: Crow Demons are awesome. They are cooler than Bruno Mars on the south pole. Cooler even than a Metallica concert in your own living room. Ok, maybe not that cool, but still: they have high movement (4) and initiative, they can fly, and even the young ones start with a spell-like ability. They're excellent scouts and can survive tough fights with hit-and-run tactics.

Earth: Grave Elementals are the tanks among the demons. High hit points, defense and regeneration ensure they can take a beating. Don't expect them to deal a lot of damage though. The normal and Ancient ones have a ranged attack, greatly increasing their utility. Their downfall however, is their low movement of two.

Fire: Fire elementals are basically useless. In battle, they are very similar to Cyndrum Demons, except they do not multiply. Their ability costs too much mana to ever consider using. I generally use them as sub-par scouts, with move 3. Fire Shards are prime candidates for converting.

Water: Mirror elementals are almost as useless as Fire ones. Their one redeeming quality is their ability to reflect damage they sustain back to their opponent. With move 2 and low everything, taking damage is about all they do in my games.

Death: Cyndrum demons are very weak, with low hitpoints and no armor. They do have one powerful trick up their sleeve: if they make a killing blow, they multiply (just like Butchermen). As it is not that hard to ensure a killing blow, you'll have a unit of 5 (the max) before you know it. Their damage and movement aren't exceptional, but defenseless opponents (Curse anyone?) should definitely steer clear of them.

Summoning in detail:

Shadow Warg: If you can keep it alive long enough, the Warg can go a long way in Ceresa's army. Even if it doesn't, it can be a huge boon in the first few turns. Just make sure to always keep it on the sidelines, out of harm's way.

Necromancy 1: This could very well be my most used spell, since it's completely free and most battles are more about mana preservation and damage control than survival. Always place it next to the unit you are about to swarm. One skeleton increases everyone's damage and accuracy with 1 and 5 respectively. Sometimes, it even gets to hit something itself before it dies. For some reasons, opponents always target the skelly first. My demons do not object.

Necromancy 2: Skeletal Horde summons nine skeletons for a swarming galore! They are slow, have low damage and hit points, but hey, there's nine of 'em. Killing Ogres has never been easier. Only drakes with their breath attack can kill them off quickly.

Ice Elemental: The Ice elemental is too slow to keep in your army, unfortunately. But it can be a great asset in difficult fights. It can take some hits (not too many, mind you) and when it strikes back, it slows the other unit. Very useful.

Air Elemental: When young Sovereigns lie awake at night, imagining their future as Summoners, this is the spell they dream of. Ceresa can cast this at level 10 or more, depending on the number of Air shards you have. The Elemental has 80-120 hitpoints, good speed and damage and very high init. It can knock opponents prone or deal magic and normal damage. The only thing it doesn't do is cast Thunderstrike, like a Crow Demon can. I guess that would've been a bit too much...

Earth line: Admittedly, after I reach Air elemental, I might pick Summon III, but I've never gone any further. Other traits (initiative, spell schools, spell mastery) are slightly better, in my opinion. But feel free to prove me wrong. Earth provides nice tanks, but they won't turn the tide like Skeletal Horde or Lightbringer can.

Fire Line: This might be better, as the summons can deal more damage. If someone can share some light on this, that'd great.

Locked Post 41 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 18, 2013 7:50:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd help by adding some inputs, not only for Resoln, but for anything and other faction, but i won't start in depth guide for a faction i'm most familiar with, i'm bad at writting a guide, i'm more of an adviser.

Regarding summoning, especially earth summon and fire summon, the best thing about them is they have overpower, good against army, the difference is fire is less tanky than earth but good against high armored enemies because it deals elemental damage, earth is the opposite, it's tanky but deal physical damage (which is bad against high armored enemy).

And for earth line, just stop at earth elemental, the grave elemental is not that good, from my experience the earth one is better. For fire line, you can continue down to delin, best summon in term of power but buggy and costly and need a lot of skill point (basically you need to decide wheter you want to be a pure summoner or a hybrid mage). If you summon delin in space lesser than 5x5, delin won't be able to act, he is considered as stuck, it can act as a blocker to your opponent units though.

June 18, 2013 8:31:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1.) Original Poster said: "Race overall: Flavorful, but one of the weaker races."

What are you smoking? Resoln is one of the best, maybe THE best. I think I know why you don't see their strength:

"Death Worship: ...Some fun spells...In practice I hardly ever use them, as I cannot afford the mana..."

Infection/Graveseal/curse combo? You can wipe out tough armies fast with that, especially if 2 casters work together to set it up. Pick the enemy unit with lowest spell resistance that isn't about to die. Cast infection, then Graveseal, then Curse. Win.

Archers really help to take advantage of this combo, they can focus fire on the highest threat enemies first, and shred them with critical hits.

Stop casting summon spells (so you can save mana), and just cast Infection/Graveseal/Curse (Against some enemies you don't need curse). I think you'll have a higher appreciation of Ceresa.

2.) Grave Elemental as a summon is amazing. It casts death ward on every friendly unit near it when summoned. Death Ward makes it hard to lose.

June 18, 2013 10:26:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davrovana,

1.) Original Poster said: "Race overall: Flavorful, but one of the weaker races."

What are you smoking? Resoln is one of the best, maybe THE best. I think I know why you don't see their strength:

"Death Worship: ...Some fun spells...In practice I hardly ever use them, as I cannot afford the mana..."

Infection/Graveseal/curse combo? You can wipe out tough armies fast with that, especially if 2 casters work together to set it up. Pick the enemy unit with lowest spell resistance that isn't about to die. Cast infection, then Graveseal, then Curse. Win.

Archers really help to take advantage of this combo, they can focus fire on the highest threat enemies first, and shred them with critical hits.

Stop casting summon spells (so you can save mana), and just cast Infection/Graveseal/Curse (Against some enemies you don't need curse). I think you'll have a higher appreciation of Ceresa.

2.) Grave Elemental as a summon is amazing. It casts death ward on every friendly unit near it when summoned. Death Ward makes it hard to lose.

Thanks for your comments. I actually did not write a strategy section, maybe I will add it later. While I was writing my post, I had run-of-the-mill battles in mind, where I do not spend any mana. Your combo requires almost 50 mana. I cannot afford to cast that every season. The summons only require 1 or 2 maintenance every season. Graveseal can be very powerful in difficult battles, that's absolutely true.

The 'weak race' part only refers to their racial ability/blood trait. My overall verdict was: 'Resoln are the bestest'. Not the same.

June 18, 2013 1:57:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Resoln is a very mana intensive faction. If you are having mana supply issues, the problem may be that your strategy is not prioritizing mana production enough.

Obviously Resoln should get every shard they can for the mana and summons as well as beeline up the sorcery tree for the shard upgrade tech as soon as possible. In addition, the spell mantle of oceans you get at rank 3 of the water line is a huge help at reducing tactical spell costs, especially when combined with the trait in the mage hero specialization tree that reduces mana costs as well. Resoln should also be building a higher proportion of conclaves than most other factions on spots with essence and placing a high priority on the line of buildings that boosts mana production. This should be comboed with the city enchantment that produces +1 mana per essence.

June 18, 2013 4:30:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fallenchar,

Your combo requires almost 50 mana. I cannot afford to cast that every season. 

My overall verdict was: 'Resoln are the bestest'. Not the same.

I missed that part .

I think we still disagree on their overall effectiveness, but to each their own.

Like cwg said, Mantle of Oceans at Water3 will help you a whole, whole lot, with summoning or graveseal combo-ing.

June 19, 2013 4:21:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey this is a little bit off topic and all, but I was just wondering what technology must be researched to recruit bound hoarder spiders? Can't see them in the tech tree (while bound widows and bound harridans)

edit: nevermind, just found out that kingdom custon factions don't have access to the required tech

June 19, 2013 5:29:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, Resoln has 3 traits that are less useful if you play Kingdom: Cult, Binding and Death Worship.

I guess they are truly evil 

June 19, 2013 6:26:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its leader, oracle ceresa is the main antagonist of the game (according to the lore and campaign map).

June 26, 2013 6:44:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

CWG and Davrovana: Mantle of Oceans is indeed awesome. In my current game, I already have 2 Air Elementals, ignoring armor, so I don't have to use Curse. 

Graveseal seems very powerful, if I only knew how critical damage was calculated...the couple of times I tried it, half the time the critical damage was still within normal range

October 30, 2013 2:46:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm trying to learn how to play Resoln. Spend the whole day browsing through guides and threads. Also played 3 games as Resoln. Till now i still can't grasp the essence of Resoln.

My observations and the issues i face:

Most magic/mana dependent faction and the spells are extremely devastating.

Most humanoid trained units(mainly the melee) almost totally useless due to equipment locked to leather. The gravewardens and archers still fairly deployable, but not viable as i require tanking units to protect my Champion/Sovereign while they cast spells. 

The Elementals from BINDING, they are good mid game with the 2nd tier, but the 1st tier(young) and the 3rd tier(Ancients) are really underpowered. 1st tier elementals are pretty weak honestly in early game(i usually play chall/chall and higher mode, so the mobs start at way higher level). Mid game its all balanced, but late game, when the units have a 6 man headcount and good gear, the elementals get slaughtered hard! Not to mention due to low survival rate of the Elementals, it is extremely hard to maintain veteran Elementals and by late game, the AI HAS truckloads of high level veteran units. So Elementals are disposable meatshields? Thats their only purpose?

The Elementals from SUMMONS, they are way better than their binding brethren. I can still get a few veterans up by having them stay back and being useless while my other units tank and the Champions/Sovereign kill everything. Still they are weak compared to late game 6 man units. Necromancy works wonders early game, but late game, 1 juggernaut can wipe them out in 1-2 turns.

Spiders, i use them mainly for web and beguile to protect my Champions/Sovereign while they spell casting, other than that they get slaughtered unless im playing easier mode.

So this is basically the play style of Resoln? Spells to destroy, Elemental/Summons are disposable tanks to protect your Champions/Sovereign. Am i playing it right?

Btw im not really cussing Resoln faction being too weak. I managed to win my games due to the crazy strong spells but the play style is simply too weird.

October 30, 2013 6:02:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting deathcoy,
Spells to destroy, Elemental/Summons are disposable tanks to protect your Champions/Sovereign. Am i playing it right?

Yes, pretty much. Blizzard with -1 casting time is your army killer. The Earth line is currently much better than the Fire line, but make sure you get Skeleton Horde first. Most summons are better cast Tactically; for example, a tactical Earth Elemental damages surrounding units, and its slow movement is not an issue if you summon it next to the target.

The only things I'd add to the previous discussions:

1) Get to Death Archmage, choose a city to Sacrifice, kill its entire population, mana problems solved. What's not necessarily clear from the Sacrifice description is that although it only kills half the population, there's no cooldown, so you can cast it on the same city as many times as you want in the same turn; hello 150 mana. The Sacrificed city will also grow at +3 population, so that's another +3 mana per turn (or more likely another 30 mana every ten turns or so when you can be bothered to cast Sacrifice). I usually choose the highest level city or cities that I don't expect to get to the next level any time soon. Captured high level AI cities are perfect for this. Towns with Festival are good too, as if you put them on Produce Growth they will get +6 growth (from memory).

2) Warg mounted staff troops are awesome.

3) When choosing a target for Infection, bear in mind that spells spread on the target's turn. So in other words, choose the highest initiative unit that will not die soon. Low spell resistance, high initiative, high hitpoints is the perfect target to spread your debuffs as fast as possible. Curse, Blind and Slow, in that order- you don't want to reduce the target's initiative until you're finished infecting the enemy army. Add in a Graveseal if necessary and you have the mana.

October 30, 2013 10:25:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Water I: Slow is awesome, Inspiration is nice. Freeze (lvl 2) and Mantle of Oceans (lvl 3) are great as well, and worth the level-ups. Again, level 4 & 5 bring nothing worth mentioning"

If you were talking about Fire Magic, I might agree with you. However, Water IV brings Blizzard, which is quite possibly the best damage spell in the game, aside from possibly Dirge of Ceresa after corrupting every last shard you found.

Quoting Fallenchar,
Graveseal seems very powerful, if I only knew how critical damage was calculated...the couple of times I tried it, half the time the critical damage was still within normal range

Critical hits cause twice the normal amount of damage to be dealt to the target. However, since individual figures in a unit each make their own rolls to hit and for damage, it isn't terribly unlikely to get damage within the normal range.

Example:

3-figure unit, damage range 5-10 per figure. So we get 0/5-10/10-20/15-30 damage per hit for 0/1/2/3 figures successfully hitting the target on a normal hit, or 0/10-20/20-40/30-60 damage per hit on a critical hit for 0/1/2/3 figures successfully hitting the target. If we assume a 50% chance of hitting the target, then a reasonable damage range to expect on a critical hit is something like 8-37 damage (note that this is an estimate - I did not actually go through the math to calculate anything here), which isn't significantly outside of the reported damage range of 5-10x3, though with the same 50% hit rate a normal hit can only reasonably be expected to do something like 4-18 damage, or roughly half of the expected damage of a critical hit.

Naturally, the expected damage per hit will change with the number of figures in the unit and the actual accuracy of the unit, and there's always the possibility of every figure in the unit dealing minimum hit damage and yet the hit going critical, which will look exactly like a hit where every figure in the unit rolled maximum damage since the minimum normal damage is equal to half of the maximum normal damage.

October 30, 2013 11:10:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting merlinme,

Quoting deathcoy, reply 10Spells to destroy, Elemental/Summons are disposable tanks to protect your Champions/Sovereign. Am i playing it right?

Yes, pretty much. Blizzard with -1 casting time is your army killer. The Earth line is currently much better than the Fire line, but make sure you get Skeleton Horde first. Most summons are better cast Tactically; for example, a tactical Earth Elemental damages surrounding units, and its slow movement is not an issue if you summon it next to the target.

Not all Elementals are created equal...Crow Demons (and to a lesser extent, Grave Elementals) are much more useful than the other demons from Binding. High movement, high init, high damage and a free Titan's Breath! Don't let them die. An army with Ceresa, 2 Air Elementals and 2 Crow Demons only needs a Cave Bear or something similar to become a Stack of Doom.

Try to use spells sparingly. Your Air Elementals can deal quite a lot of damage by themselves. Keep those in your army, cast other summons tactically. In case of emergency, use Skeletal Horde.

Imho, both the Fire and Earth line are not really worth it. The summons are too weak. After Summoning 3, get Water 3 and Death 5 first. After that, you can go for Savant and the Evoker traits.

October 30, 2013 11:13:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't ever played as a Resoln player, but I have used a lot of Resoln abilities in custom races.  Also, a lot of that stuff was in the base FE game rather than LH, so take the following with a grain of salt:

My Thoughts

I think that Resoln really spreads itself pretty thin.  I think that if it was a bit more focused that it could do a lot better.

In the FE base game, you could harvest shards from turn 1 and the second level shard harvesting tech for +2 per turn per shard and getting the mid level elementals was in the first tier of the magic tree.  That got nerfed really hard in the move to LH and that nerf hit Resoln really hard.  The more powerful units now come much later in the game and that hurts a ton.  In FE, Binding was my favorite ability, now I pretty much don't take it at all.  That change really made me sad.  Almost want to go back to FE in order to get Binding back.

Cult of a Hundred Eyes - Hoarder Spiders are mad uber and they can stun the entire enemy army.  They also have a ton of HPs and they can tank decently if you set them up against just one enemy at least to hold it off from attacking something else.  They come really late in the tree, but they shouldn't be underestimated.  You take the whole Beastlord trait hoping to get you 1 Hoarder Spider in the game and this race can make as many as they want.  Having multiple of these shouldn't be underestimated.  The weaker spider versions aren't that good, though, and they make this trait one of the weaker traits, IMHO.  I will use spiders captured as a Beastlord, but I don't take this trait for custom races.

Corruption is actually pretty nice and ensures that you won't ever be stuck with shard types you can't use at least.  I am a much bigger proponent of Slow than the previous posters.  One or two slows can be roughly the same as casting haste on your whole army.  I like to get that in early and often.  I think you really want to invest some serious effort into the water line as Oracle Ceresa, because Freeze, Mantle of Oceans, the Counterspell, and Blizzard can all be pretty strong.

I am not a real big fan of going deep into the Death line.  I think mostly it is a waste of traits to get higher than level 2 in it.  All the good stuff comes early pretty much.  The Kill spell is really good if you want to try to beat the main quest final boss with it, but Ceresa really misses the trait that gives 2 Spell Mastery per level and 10% exp.

If you are going to pick Resoln, I would say to make your second Champion a Defender.  You can dip into enemy race territory and buy the advanced armors when the AIs research them and give them whatever armors you end up with from quests.  Being able to distract quite a few units while your main force picks off things from the side can be pretty powerful, especially when your race in general has really low defense.

Research wise, Resoln gets very little from the warfare line.  You can grab the first tier research for cheap and get Drills for the +1 army size and get the Lumber Mill tech if you have a lot of trees around your cities, but you can for the most part ignore this whole line with Resoln.  Resoln has by far the worst trained units, so much it's sad.  It is even worse that Death and Water are both not capable of giving per essence training bonuses unlike all the other types of magic.  The Air and Life bonuses are huge and the earth and fire bonuses are both really good too, but water and death get nothing.  If you are going to make a fortress with Resoln, make it one of the cities that has no essence and save your essence cities for Conclaves.

BTW, and I would never play any other race this way, you might want to make ALL of your cities into Conclaves.  A lot of people play Resoln without trained units at all and if you go this route then you aren't seriously hurt by lack of per essence bonuses from spell types or the barracks and training yards and associated upgrades.  On the upside, lack of mana is a common complaint and conclaves are huge mana generators with their mana per essence buildings really early in the tech tree.  Research per essence buildings come from Conclaves too and that can help you speed through the research tree to get the more powerful stuff from there.  Most of the conclave upgrades are in the research tree and so are the Black Quire (?) and other upgrades that let you get things like Hoarder Spiders.  If you want to train some staff users for ranged power (I would suggest it) you can still train them at Conclaves.  They won't be done as fast and they won't be as tough, but you really don't want them to be getting attacked much anyway hopefully so it can still work.

No Armor isn't a big penalty if you only research the first tier of the warfare tree and focus elsewhere after that.  You still have leather for your ranged units which is OK and you probably want that anyway so you don't have initiative penalties.  Also, you probably want to get the +20 dodge vs ranged magic items on your staff users if you are going to make them.

Sovereign Bond - If you are going to cast this, just put the familiar in one of your cities and use the strategic spells it can cast.  Being able to double up on Freeze and some other Strategic spells can be pretty useful.  Definitely don't underestimate casting strategic spells with this race.  Do it a lot.  The more you cast strategically, the less you have to waste time casting tactically.  I wouldn't waste army space with the summon.

Summons - I really like using these to go straight to the enemy back line and to divide and conquer with, delaying important stuff from joining the battle with my main forces.  High HP stuff like Grave Elementals can be good for that.  The kinds summoned out of battle for your main army can be pretty decent too so you don't have to train things.

2nd and after free champions - I would take them for the spell types and sacrifice them immediately to give the spells to Ceresa.  I would just keep Ceresa and the first free one I made into a defender.

Playing Resoln

If I was going to play standard Oracle Ceresa, I would basically try to do most/all of the above.  Heavy on Conclaves possibly with zero/one town(s) and zero fortresses.   Focus almost completely on the magic research tree and only take the cheap stuff from the other ones.  Heavier on water magic than life magic.  Grab a defender second champion that can heal itself at regular rates instead of 1 HP/turn.  Try to grab two or maybe even three Hoarder Spiders when available.  Use corruption a lot.  If the second champion can be one with Air magic with initiative per essence I would grab that and make staff users in a Conclave somewhere.

Making a custom Resoln race

You probably want to take away some wide and add some more deep.  Less of a jack of all trades and more of a master of a few.  I would definitely replace Attunement with Brilliant.  Instead of Sovereign Bond maybe Veteran or Tactician.  Race wise I would definitely get rid of Adepts and replace it with Enchanters.  That would allow +1 mana and research per turn per Conclave.   Between Binding, Death Worship, and Cult of a Hundred Eyes I would get rid of one of those and get Master Scouts.  I would probably get rid of Death Worship and keep the free city defenders from shard shrines and keep the Hoarder Spiders.  You lose some cool spells this way, but tbh there is enough to cast even without it.  Lack of good things to cast really shouldn't ever be Ceresa's problem.  The extra mobility could be really good, though, especially if you could get your slowest unit up to 3 moves (4 with Tireless March).

October 30, 2013 11:22:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joeball123,

Critical hits cause twice the normal amount of damage to be dealt to the target. However, since individual figures in a unit each make their own rolls to hit and for damage, it isn't terribly unlikely to get damage within the normal range.

Are you sure individual figures also roll to hit? So if I see 'dodge' after a 6 figure unit attacks, all 6 of them missed? That sounds a bit hard to believe...

I will try Blizzard in my next game!

October 30, 2013 11:27:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really hope someone makes one of these for every faction.

October 30, 2013 12:44:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am trying to play a base Resoln game now, just to verify my thoughts from above are still good for LH just with the base faction.  Both my free units died in one hit when I was exping which I was kinda sad about.  One of them was a crit the other was a crushing blow.  I did manage to get a cyndrum demon up to 5 units and 2nd hero is a defender from Krax which is ok.  I also have an ophidian and another cyndrum demon not yet at 5.

Research is going by pretty quickly.  I have 3 conclaves and 0 anything else atm.  Mana is getting depleted a lot faster than I would like and 2 of my conclaves were 0 essence, but mana is still OK in general.  I should be able to get another conclave or two soon.  I am getting some shards online and the tech for 2 mana each shouldn't be too far in the future.

All in all I wouldn't say I am doing too horribly.  Game setting is the one with AI using the best algorithms and no bonuses, challenging I think?  Tiny map with 4 players.  I got a horrible corner of the map with swamps everywhere.  I am moving 1 square a turn everywhere.

October 30, 2013 12:53:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Couple of other things:

Summons up to Air Elemental (including Skeletal Horde) are good, but after that you may wish to focus on getting Sacrifice (to solve mana issues), Blizzard (as an AI army killer) and Savant (-1 casting time, requires getting lots of spell mastery to get there, which is very helpful for Death spells). The following summons are ok, but the next really useful summons in my opinion is Summon Grave Elemental. If cast tactically this gives Death Ward for five turns to all surrounding units. So definitely do not cast this next to the enemy's back line! You want it next to as many of your units as possible. Tactically summoning Grave Elemental has won me very tough battles in the past, as half your army can die and then come back with full hitpoints.

Because I think Sacrifice is so important I disagree with the idea that you shouldn't go deep into the Death line. Mass Curse with -1 casting time is good. Kill will kill anything if you cast Shadowbolt at them for long enough (to reduce their magic resistance), so it's great for killing Wildlands bosses or winning the Quest victory. It's not particularly expensive or slow to cast bearing in mind that you should have -1 casting time, Mantle of the Oceans and Sacrifice (for extra mana) by that stage anyway.

October 30, 2013 3:38:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm still a beginner and have played through with stock Resoln once.  It took me a while to figure it out, but ended up settling on a strategy of summoning the Air Elemental and Skeletal Hordes, using a spider for webbing to buy more time when needed and then Blizzard for the army kill.  The Horde served as a tank to draw enemy attention while I closed distance or awaited turns for spell casting.  Never really got the hang of some of the other traits and spells though, but there's always another playthrough for that.  Have to say I was a bit suprised the first time an elemental popped out of a shrine!

October 30, 2013 3:41:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fallenchar,
Are you sure individual figures also roll to hit? So if I see 'dodge' after a 6 figure unit attacks, all 6 of them missed? That sounds a bit hard to believe...

If there is only one roll to hit, then there is no point in reporting damage as "X-Y x Z" as it would be functionally identical to "XZ-YZ" damage (note that this is damage, not attack - combining the attack score to make one large strike at A*Z attack is by no means identical to making Z strikes at A attack). Moreover, if on any given hit you attain less than X*Z damage, there is no obvious mechanic in place to describe how that happens as it violates the known rules for damage computation (since at least one of the three damage rolls would have had to roll for less than half of the maximum damage, yet half of the maximum damage is the lower bound on any damage roll that isn't affected by special rules), and I'm reasonably certain that I've seen units hit for less than X*Z damage. While I'm not absolutely certain that each individual figure rolls to hit, it would appear to fit my game experience better than the assumption that there is only one roll to hit and several different damage rolls.

And yes, it does make the "dodge" scenario seem a bit unlikely. However, there is also a method of rolling for hits that allows for a relatively high dodge rate despite multiple rolls for hits - rolling for each figure to hit the same way that Maul rolls for successive attacks (you keep rolling to make hits until you miss or attain the maximum number of hits allowed per attack) would leave the hit chance at the reported ~70% for basic units and still leave room for there to be damage scores of less than X*Z. This methodology makes it much less likely for large units to achieve their maximum hit damage, but it allows for a much higher miss chance than parallel hit rolls. Examples:

If the hit rolls are independent of one another, then against a 0-dodge opponent a 70-accuracy 3-figure unit has a 97.3% chance of successfully dealing damage with any given attack, while if the attack rolls are evaluated in succession and are dependent on the success of the preceding roll, that same unit only has a 70% chance of successfully dealing damage with any given attack.

For that matter, even if the attack score is reduced significantly (let's say that instead of a 70% chance for each figure to hit, you now have a 30% chance - meaning that the 70-accuracy unit is attacking something with 40 dodge), the three independent attack rolls still give you a 65% chance of dealing damage on any given attack. You would only have a 2.7% chance at the upper third or so of the damage range, but you'd only completely miss 35% of the time rather than 70% of the time.

As such, based on my gameplay experience, I would say that each figure in a unit rolls to hit a target, but the rolls are not fully independent of one another; rather, they would appear to roll to hit in a similar fashion to the way Maul works - you get to keep rolling for hits until you miss or attain the maximum number of hits allowed for your unit. This isn't something I'm certain of, unlike the damage formulas, but I am fairly confident in it as it would seem to fit my experiences in the game. (Mind you, there is a decent chance that I computed the probabilities incorrectly for the multiple independent hit rolls, as computing probabilities isn't my strong suit; regardless, it should still be representative of the general tendency of the multiple independent hit rolls, and the multiple dependent roll probability is correct).

October 30, 2013 5:15:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mana troubles?  Pick up Gallowman.  Mana troubles over.

Depending on how liberally I cast spells with my other heroes I fluctuated between 3000 and 6000 mana reserve in my lates (and only second ever) game.  Now I have to actually play a game where I don't get that incredibly lucky so I see what this "mana trouble" concept is all about!

October 30, 2013 6:26:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I generally don't like nerfcries, but the Gallowman is pretty OP...

October 30, 2013 6:39:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wraith Blood: Of all the blood traits, this is the worst, in my opinion. -1 HP/level really hurts your champs. Relying on Dodge to save your #ss is a risk I would rather not take. This is partly preference, as I don't like too much randomness in turn based games.

You missed a bit on the Blood bonuses. A more or less complete list of the various blood bonuses, as they exist in E:FE:LH:

Amarian Blood - +1 dodge per air shard, +1 initiative per fire shard, +1 spell mastery per water shard, +1 spell resistance per earth shard. Grants the Soul Spark spell, which deals 2 (+1 per level) lightning damage per figure in the casting unit to an enemy target; spell is ranged but costs 16 mana (which I think is also multiplied by the unit size), and can be resisted for half damage. No extra unit design traits.

Altarian Blood - +10% to experience gain. Rush - unit gets to take an additional action. Unlocks Henchmen with Henchmen technology. Unlocks the 'Potential' unit design trait, which grants +25% experience gain for +8 production cost.

Ironeer Blood - +50% mana cost for tactical spells. +30 spell resistance and +1 HP per level. Unlocks Iron Golems with Blacksmithing technology. Grants the Guarded Strike unit ability, which makes a half-damage attack that leaves the attacker in defensive stance. No extra unit design traits.

Mancer Blood - +1 accuracy per level, +1 movement (both tactical and strategic). Grants the Road Building unit design trait which allows trained units to build roads for +0 production cost. Grants the Experienced unit design trait which grants the unit +1 level, but increases the upkeep by +1 gildar per turn and costs an additional 25 production.

Tarth Blood - +3 attack and initiative in armies of three or fewer units. Grants the Double Strike unit ability, executing two attacks at 20 less than the normal accuracy. No extra unit design traits.

Krax Blood - +8 defense when at less than half health. Grants the Fortify ability, which creates a Fortified tile on the tactical battle map that grants +10 accuracy and +20 dodge to any unit in that tile. Doesn't grant any extra unit design traits.

Wraith Blood - +20 dodge per level, - 1 HP per level. Grants the Wraith Touch ability, which transfers 1 HP per level from the target to the caster; damage is multiplied by the number of figures in the casting unit but can be entirely resisted; target must be in melee range. Grants the Hallowed Rites unit trait, which grants +3 mana per unit killed by the unit with this trait for an additional 8 production cost. Grants the Zealotry unit trait, which grants +3 initiative and -1 HP per level, costs 8 production (really bad trait - your units won't gain any health from levels if you put this on them).

Trog Blood - +2 Attack if at under 50% health. Grants the Berserk ability, which increases the unit's attack and initiative by 2 but places it under AI control; spellcaster units which are Berserk will not use spells. Unlocks the Juggernaut special units. Does not grant any extra unit design traits.

Urxen Blood - +2 Attack if in an army of five or more units; units receive double the usual swarm bonus. Grants no extra traits or special units.

Quendar Blood - +50% Fire Resistance, -50% Cold Resistance. Grants the Dragon Tongue Flame ability, which deals 2 fire damage per caster level to targets in melee range; damage is multiplied by number of figures in casting unit. Grants access to Slave units. Does not grant any special unit design traits.

As you can see, Wraith Blood also grants access to two traits, one of which can potentially help deal with mana shortages, although in my opinion the other is useless. While Wraith Blood isn't a strong Blood, it also isn't exceptionally weak. Quendar Blood, on the other hand, has a major weakness which is easily exploited by anyone with access to Water Magic, Blizzard Scrolls, or Cold damage weapons who realizes that there is a weakness to exploit, but can also allow the creation of units which are completely immune to Fire damage (which means that Quendar are vulnerable to human players, but not particularly so to AI players, and if you think Wraiths got the short end of the stick with their Blood bonus, just wait till you see the Slave "bonuses"). Tarth Blood would be nearly useless in the later portions of the game were it not for Double Strike, and the Fortify ability of Krax Blood would work better for a dodge-oriented race like Wraiths or (possibly, if you have a lot of Air Shards) Amarians. Amarian Blood provides bonuses of varying utility, ranging from incredibly useful (Fire Shard initiative) to almost useless (Air Shard dodge - at 1 dodge per shard it isn't going to make a significant difference unless you have lots of Air Shards, and if you have lots of Air Shards, you've already won the game anyways because that's an indication that you already control a large portion of the map), which makes part of the Amarian Blood bonus heavily dependent on the map you're playing (on the other hand, Soul Spark is an incredibly useful ability that can allow your freshly trained units to outclass mid-level Mage champions in the spell damage department, if you have the mana to use it).

And for those who do not know: Amarian Blood = New Pariden/Queen Procipinee, Altarian Blood = Altar/Lord Relias, Ironeer Blood = Gilden/Lord Markinn, Mancer Blood = Capitar/General Carrodus, Tarth Blood = Tarth/Lady Irane, Krax Blood = Kraxis/Emperor Karavox, Wraith Blood = Resoln/Oracle Ceresa, Trog Blood = Yithril/Warlord Verga, Urxen Blood = Umber/Kulan, and Quendar Blood = Magnar/Magnar.

October 31, 2013 4:56:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Could people stop quoting me out of context? Thanx    

I don't like the passive part of the Wraith trait, because I loath the dodge/accuracy model. The HP penalty really hurts Ceresa. The active ability, Wraith Touch, is flavorful and very useful.

You are right, I did not mention the 3d part of the racial feature: the unit options. I could say it's because you should never build units as Resoln anyway, or I could say I did not want to embarrass the Devs, by having to point out how stupid Zealotry is. But no, I had simply forgotten them...

Joeball, did you ever consider writing a Beginner's Guide for LH?

October 31, 2013 5:56:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joeball123,
Trog Blood - +2 Attack if at under 50% health. Grants the Berserk ability, which increases the unit's attack and initiative by 2 but places it under AI control; spellcaster units which are Berserk will not use spells. Unlocks the Juggernaut special units. Does not grant any extra unit design traits.

Extremely informative post by joeball, as always. I hadn't really taken it in that different races had different unit design traits available. However the point about Trogs not having extra unit design traits is incorrect, or at least incomplete. They do have extra unit design traits available, but only for Juggernauts. In my last game I played as Yithril, and I only built Juggernauts after I'd researched the technology. My top tip is to design Juggernauts with the trait "Frenzy", which gives +1 Move and +4 Initiative. You have to give up another trait (I gave up the one which gave even more damage as I don't think it's really needed), but +4 Initiative is awesome, and +1 Move eliminates the biggest problem with Juggernauts, i.e. they're slow and you can't give them mounts. 3 move (4 with Tireless March) is fine for most purposes, it puts them on a par with Warg mounted troops. I experimented with designing Juggernauts with Longsword, Tower Shield and Frenzy, along all available trinkets and buffs (focusing primarily on defense). They have crazy initiative and much better survivability, but this is very much a late research unit, and they do somewhat less damage in each attack (no trait for extra damage, no backswing, lower critical chance). Juggernauts already do massive damage though, my main problem with them was slow movement and keeping them alive with all the splash damage, so I thought it was worth it. Up to Longsword being available I left them with Guillotine Axe, which is a pretty awesome weapon even near the end of the game.

I was less convinced by the Juggernaut traits available other than Frenzy and the standard ones; you can also give them higher defense, but I didn't think it was worth giving up one out of extra hitpoints, Maul and Frenzy. You can increase their splash damage, but a lot of the time I was hurting myself with the splash damage, so I wasn't keen on that.

One strategy near the start of the game might be to design them with fewer traits, a Young Juggernaut (or whatever), so you can train them faster. Even with just guillotine axe and inherent Juggernaut abilities (I think you would need to keep Maul) they're pretty devastating, so rushing cheaper ones might be worth trying. However you'd be giving up hitpoints and damage, and all the Juggernaut traits seem very cheap as well, so probably only worth doing if you really need a Juggernaut quickly.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001282   Page Render Time: