Join Date 03/2003
+120

*** Released ***

Brad's Patch!

Fixes

Removed Influence from the city levelup window

Fixed the missing cloth map icon for the shadow rift

Fixed an issue that caused ranged attacks to strike all enemies in auto resolve

Fixed an issue that causes Sovereign's with the Tactician sovereign trait to start midway into the Commander tree

Balance

Increased Adventurers Boon trait from +8 hp to +10

Ironeer Ale increases hp by 2 instead of 1

Reduced Bless City spell casting cost from 500 to 250 and the effect from -30 unrest to -25

Reduced Curse City spell casting cost from 500 to 250 and the effect from +30 unrest to +25

Increased Propaganda spell from +1 gildar per essence to +2

Increased the attack and fire damage form the Staff of the Furnace

Caster’s Staff has a minor ranged lightning attack

Haunter’s Staff has a minor ranged poison attack

Switched the default tax rate to Normal

Adjusted the tax rates to give more variance between the levels

Switched Shattered Statue to give a random item instead of one of 5 preset items (so there is more variety)

Reduced Escape scrolls form Uncommon to Common

Moved Rush from Civics to Administration

Arcane Mastery now requires Enchantment

Glyph Stones requires Arcane Mastery instead of Enchantment

Mounted Warfare requires Drills instead of Training

Rebalanced tech costs according to the above

Reduced Foundry's to +3 Metal per Season instead of +4

Reduced the Iron Works to +6 Metal per Season instead of +8

AI

Fixed AI bug where one of the AI personalities could, in some cases, rush buy a unit without having the necessary resources (metal)

Improved granular difficulty increases between challenging difficulty and insane. Rather than rely on a money cheat, the higher difficulty units get some additional unit perks that make them more interesting.

Made all the AI personalities somewhat better at taking out targets of opportunity (like outposts)

Made AI sovereign more concerned about clearing out monster lairs near its home base early game.

Fixed a bug that could cause certain AI personalities ("unstable" and "paranoid") to cease building city improvements

Aggressive and Warmonger AI personalities more aggressive about destroying enemy improvements

Some AI personalities will more aggressive target quests

Fixed bug that kept AI from choosing the infinite projects (wealth, growth, etc.) if they had just trained a unit.

Improved AI's choosing of city specialities based on player strategy input (thanks forum and YouTube posters!)

AI players will tend to do most of their unit building in fortress-cities when possible

AI smarter about what types of units it builds based on its current economic/military conditions

AI cab do sneak attacks, especially imperial factions if it is in its best interest

Unstable AI personality will still do a sneak attacks (even if it's suicide) and they just don't like you.

Paranoid AI personality will overstate their military strength (i.e. lie to itself)

AI is more likely to surrender if the military situation is hopeless (you can disable AI surrendering in the game setup)

AI smarter about using health items in tactical battles

Fixed infrequent game hang bug

Tweaked the way power ratings are calculated such that it more accurately takes into account the player's *potential* military power as well as its current military strength.

Fixed path finding bug that would cause the AI players to sometimes get stuck.

AI is less inclined to settle on crappy food terrain

Difficulty sovereign HP modifier now affects champions

Reduced the HP bonus that harder difficulty AI players get

Hard and Expert AI players no longer receive an HP bonus to their trained units

Ridiculous AI players have a reduced HP bonus to their trained units

Monster behavior overhaulted (won't just walk away from lairs, won't attack player cities from wild lands, just lots and lots of goodness here)

46 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 17, 2013 7:26:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice AI changes.

One suggestion for an option: randomize AI personality.  Also, under this option, relation modifiers that give away AI personality should be hidden from the player, even if it gives a false value to relations  (warmonger AI that is really -2 should look like +1 to the player though the AI will act as if it's -2)  This will keep the player guessing.

June 17, 2013 8:50:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
Nice AI changes.

One suggestion for an option: randomize AI personality.  Also, under this option, relation modifiers that give away AI personality should be hidden from the player, even if it gives a false value to relations  (warmonger AI that is really -2 should look like +1 to the player though the AI will act as if it's -2)  This will keep the player guessing.

lolz.
Just made the same suggestion in the 'Let's Play AI' thread....and Frogboy already responded: http://forums.elementalgame.com/444613/page/2/

Also...here is a list of balance changes based on what I thought would bring more balance to the game. I don't want to make you feel like these suggestions are being forced on your....but if are you still entertaining ideas for game balance, here is my list to date:

(if you don't want this here or it's confusing to others looking at update changelog, I'll remove it....or you can. )

Taxrate Changes

Ability Changes

• - Increased the Propaganda city enchantment from +1 gildar per essence back to +2 gildar per essence (to balance new tax levels)
  • - Increased Adventurer's Boon ability from +8 HP to +10 HP (to improve champions versus units)
  • - Removed the +1 attack from the swarm bonus mechanic (to improve champions versus units)
  • - Fixed the Bleed ability with Parrotmath's Fix.

Staff Changes

• - Added ranged Flaming attack attribute to the Staff of the Furnace and it's attack increased from 4 to 6.
  • - Added ranged Lightning attack attribute to the Casters Staff and it's attack increased from 4 to 6 and increased it's shop cost from 30 gildar to 60 gildar.
  • - Added ranged Toxic attack attribute to the Haunters Staff
  • - Added ranged Flaming attack attribute to the Staff of Souls
  • - Added ranged Freezing attack attribute to the Spellstaff

Spell Changes

• - Curse City Enchantment mana cost reduced from 500 mana to 250 mana and decreased its effect from 30% down to 25%.
  • - Bless City Enchantment mana cost reduced from 500 mana to 250 mana and decreased its effect from 30% down to 25%.
  • - Increased the Raised Land spell mana cost from 5 mana to 25 mana.
  • - Increased the Lower Land spell mana cost from 5 mana to 25 mana.
  • - Reduced the Soulspark casting cost from 16 mana to 10 mana

Improvement Changes 

• - Changed the description name of the Arena to Great Arena (to properly represent the greatness of the world achievement).
  • - Changed the description name of the Great Arena to Arena.
  • - Changed the description for the Adventurer's Guild to "Stationed Champions gain 1xp/season".
  • - Changed the description for the Great Arena (the world achievemnt) to "Stationed units gain 1xp/season"
  • - Added the Embassy improvement to include a +5 Fame bonus upon completion.
  • - Increased the Great Mill's Fame bonus from +10 to +25
  • - Increased the Hosten's Library Fame bonus from +10 to +25
  • - Added Ironworks Fame bonus of +10

Tech Changes

• - Moved the Rush Production from Civics tech to Administration Tech.
  • - Reduced the Civics Tech cost from 10 research to 8 research.
  • - Reduced the Knowledge Tech cost from 10 research to 8 research.
  • - Increased the Restoration Tech cost from 8 research to 10 research.
  • - Moved the Glyph Stones tech further by requiring the Arcane Mastery tech instead of the Enchantment tech.
  • - Added the Arcane Mastery tech to have a third prereq of the Enchantment tech. 
  • - Moved the Book of Mastery tech further by requiring the Ereog's Journal tech instead of Thrid Book of the Magi tech.
  • - Moved the Mounted Warefare tech further by requiring the Drills tech instead of Training tech.

Other Changes

• - Reduced the amount of Iron Ore available to be mined by changing rarity from 300 to 250.
  • - Reduced the amount of Crystal Crag available to be mined by changing rarity from 300 to 250.
  • - Reduced the Despair Spell lifedrain from 3 hitpoints per level to 2.5 hitpoints per level. Also reduced the resisted value from 2 hitpoints per level down to 1.5 hitpoints per level. (That Dark Wizard was just WAY too powerful)
  • - Increased Ironeer's Ale Hitpoints bonus from 1 to 3. (to improve champions versus units)

June 18, 2013 2:35:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Firefly, those look like some good changes to me.  I think I can get behind all of them.

June 18, 2013 9:00:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice response Firefly! I like how you made those Magic staffs more useful.

June 18, 2013 9:06:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+1 to everything Firefly suggested.

June 18, 2013 9:12:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Monster behavior overhaulted (won't just walk away from lairs, won't attack player cities from wild lands, just lots and lots of goodness here)

I think this may have the largest impact on some players' gamestyle. I personally prefer to let monster lairs mature, both for the exp from popping monsters but also to get the better loot from upgraded lairs. But I see some posters who basically claim to go around and lure monsters away from the lairs just to get the fame/loot early in the game. I think they may find the game far more challenging as a result of this change.

June 18, 2013 9:15:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
*** Unreleased ***

Awe....I really liked monsters coming out of the wildlands and taking over your cities...

June 18, 2013 11:27:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does this mean that lairs, even inside your borders, will always have a guardian mob, until defeated and razed?

June 18, 2013 12:09:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Paranoid AI personality will overstate their military strength (i.e. lie to itself)

Shouldn't a paranoid leader overestimate the strength of their opponents? Overestimating their own strength is more narcissism than paranoia.

Nice to see the AI getting some love!

June 18, 2013 1:30:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

These AI changes look great, looking forward to trying them! Thanks Stardock for all your work supporting this game.

June 19, 2013 5:22:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lots of AI-focus! Cool! Can't wait to test it out!

June 19, 2013 6:12:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks pretty awesome to me, really looking forward to trying this out. It will be a lot of fun to play against a more intelligent AI. I was about to move up to Insane, but maybe I'll be able to stick on Ridiculous if the AI is going to fight smarter. Thanks for listening to all the feedback.

June 19, 2013 8:30:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there a very crude, rough, approximate, guesswork, forecasted, figured ETA for this patch? As in this week or next week maybe possibly?

June 20, 2013 3:45:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent. All the balance changes are improvements. Lots of AI changes, looking good. 

June 20, 2013 11:02:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
*** Unreleased ***

Balance

Reduced Bless City spell casting cost from 500 to 250 and the effect from -30 unrest to -25

Reduced Curse City spell casting cost from 500 to 250 and the effect from +30 unrest to +25

Thank you very much for considering the balance changes I proposed. Glad to see I was making some sense with my thought process. 

I am a little taken aback though. No love for the proposed tech changes? I'll explain my thought process a little more here and (if you are willing) you can rebuttal me. The thought behind my proposals can be broken down into 4 catagories:

1) Your first tech choice. A very important decision, but for the most part seemed to be no decision at all. It was always Civics or Restoration dependant on your starting tiles. By implementing the changes below, my goal was the increase the desire to have the Knowledge tech chosen first while reducing the desire to have the Restoration tech or the Civics tech chosen first. Aka, put all three on a more even playing field.

• - Moved the Rush Production from Civics tech to Administration Tech.
  • - Reduced the Civics Tech cost from 10 research to 8 research.
  • - Reduced the Knowledge Tech cost from 10 research to 8 research.
  • - Increased the Restoration Tech cost from 8 research to 10 research.

2) My thoughts here were to combat the overpowering mage strategy that I keep seeing players use in their Let's Play videos. 'Combat' may be the wrong word....'Delay' is probably better. By delaying this strategy, it gives the AI more time to build up against it. Also, it turns it into an endgame strategy instead of a midgame strategy that ruins the endgame. I also really thought it thematic to have all starting techs converge into Arcane Mastery; a tech that seems by it's very nature to be the principle basic element required before persuing greater magics.

• - Moved the Glyph Stones tech further by requiring the Arcane Mastery tech instead of the Enchantment tech.
  • - Added the Arcane Mastery tech to have a third prereq of the Enchantment tech. 

3) Book of Mastery change was to simply address the concerns from other forum users that the Spell of Mastery victory was too easy to achieve. Moving it a little farther down the chain, and in combination with #2, makes persuing this victory path a little harder to attain due to the extra research required. It also makes sense thematically as, of all the books/journals/writings available along the tree, the strongest one be the last one. 

• - Moved the Book of Mastery tech further by requiring the Ereog's Journal tech instead of Thrid Book of the Magi tech.

4) Mounted Warefare was an implemented change I made way back when horses+wargs were OP. They've since come down in power level quite a bit but I really like the thematic of having this tech become available for study at the same time that Archery can be studied. Kinda acts as a fork in the road for tatical decisions. "Do I go the mounted charge route or the defensive archery route?"

• - Moved the Mounted Warefare tech further by requiring the Drills tech instead of Training tech.

Again, I don't expect you to follow up and necessarily make any of these changes I mentioned (though that would be very very pleasant for me if you did). Just thought I'd give some further underlining reasoning as to why I've been making the changes I've made.

Really looking forward to this next patch. I think it's going to revolutionize this game!

June 20, 2013 1:21:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Firefly is, as often, spot on with his ideas. In my humble opinion I really like the changes to the "Magic" Tech Tree. Thematically correct, I like those changes.

Also I will point you guys towards this post where some of us gathered a few typos:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/443787/page/1/#3371223

I would appreciate it if those fixes made it into 1.2

June 20, 2013 3:14:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting N1ghthavvk,
Firefly is, as often, spot on with his ideas. In my humble opinion I really like the changes to the "Magic" Tech Tree. Thematically correct, I like those changes.

Also I will point you guys towards this post where some of us gathered a few typos:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/443787/page/1/#3371223

I would appreciate it if those fixes made it into 1.2

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

I would like to temper my position and simply state that there is nothing inherently wrong with the way the techs are currently aligned. I'm sure a great deal of thought and consideration was put into the decisions made to make the tech structure what we use today (well, not me...I use my mod).

I'm just aiming for a way to make Trojasmic's expert/expert play just a little more difficult on him. 

I think that should be the goal of any game change.

June 21, 2013 6:19:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really glad how you guys from Stardock react to our feedback.

I am sure that in the near future the game is completely fixed and even more enjoyable.

Such a great deal of work went into this game!

June 24, 2013 7:27:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks promising, thanks! I hope many of these things turn out well, and also many of the suggestions others (myself included) have posted elsewhere get some consideration as well.

I am particularly interested in how this

Quoting ,

Made all the AI personalities somewhat better at taking out targets of opportunity (like outposts)

will work out. I had hoped that "somewhat better" would be "significantly better", since the AI does not seem to take out zero-risk (e.g. undefended) targets of opportunity such as outposts or mines at all.

Good luck!

June 24, 2013 7:38:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good Morning

Another thing that has been stewing on these threads of late is the current balance and availability of metal. See other threads (as I'm sure you do) for details.

Is there plans to address this balancing concern in the 1.2 patch?

June 24, 2013 7:56:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

quoting post*** Unreleased ***

Balance

Thank you very much for considering the balance changes I proposed. Glad to see I was making some sense with my thought process. 

I am a little taken aback though. No love for the proposed tech changes? I'll explain my thought process a little more here and (if you are willing) you can rebuttal me. The thought behind my proposals can be broken down into 4 catagories:

1) Your first tech choice. A very important decision, but for the most part seemed to be no decision at all. It was always Civics or Restoration dependant on your starting tiles. By implementing the changes below, my goal was the increase the desire to have the Knowledge tech chosen first while reducing the desire to have the Restoration tech or the Civics tech chosen first. Aka, put all three on a more even playing field.

- Moved the Rush Production from Civics tech to Administration Tech.
- Reduced the Civics Tech cost from 10 research to 8 research.
- Reduced the Knowledge Tech cost from 10 research to 8 research.
- Increased the Restoration Tech cost from 8 research to 10 research.

2) My thoughts here were to combat the overpowering mage strategy that I keep seeing players use in their Let's Play videos. 'Combat' may be the wrong word....'Delay' is probably better. By delaying this strategy, it gives the AI more time to build up against it. Also, it turns it into an endgame strategy instead of a midgame strategy that ruins the endgame. I also really thought it thematic to have all starting techs converge into Arcane Mastery; a tech that seems by it's very nature to be the principle basic element required before persuing greater magics.

- Moved the Glyph Stones tech further by requiring the Arcane Mastery tech instead of the Enchantment tech.
- Added the Arcane Mastery tech to have a third prereq of the Enchantment tech. 

3) Book of Mastery change was to simply address the concerns from other forum users that the Spell of Mastery victory was too easy to achieve. Moving it a little farther down the chain, and in combination with #2, makes persuing this victory path a little harder to attain due to the extra research required. It also makes sense thematically as, of all the books/journals/writings available along the tree, the strongest one be the last one. 

- Moved the Book of Mastery tech further by requiring the Ereog's Journal tech instead of Thrid Book of the Magi tech.

4) Mounted Warefare was an implemented change I made way back when horses+wargs were OP. They've since come down in power level quite a bit but I really like the thematic of having this tech become available for study at the same time that Archery can be studied. Kinda acts as a fork in the road for tatical decisions. "Do I go the mounted charge route or the defensive archery route?"

- Moved the Mounted Warefare tech further by requiring the Drills tech instead of Training tech.

Again, I don't expect you to follow up and necessarily make any of these changes I mentioned (though that would be very very pleasant for me if you did). Just thought I'd give some further underlining reasoning as to why I've been making the changes I've made.

Really looking forward to this next patch. I think it's going to revolutionize this game!

I just wanted to play with them a bit before I checked them in.  But I appreciate all the feedback, it's great!

June 25, 2013 9:23:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Derek, you're a great person as well as a friendly and astute developer.

June 25, 2013 9:30:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

Quoting GFireflyE,
reply 15

I just wanted to play with them a bit before I checked them in.  But I appreciate all the feedback, it's great!

Awesome! Thanks for your interest Derek.

June 25, 2013 1:12:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like it's released! Just got another update, much bigger than previous one this morning. Crossed fingers for some improved AI! Going in!

June 25, 2013 1:17:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Woohoo!

Will we have to start a new game to get the AI changes?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time: