[RANT] After 1 failure and 2 "reboots" I expected a lot more....

By on June 17, 2013 7:17:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

legaceez

Join Date 09/2006

Okay so I finally had the chance to sit down and play a few hours of LH 1.1. I'm disappointed to say that once again it feels like another release that is not yet ready for prime time. I was not able to finish one game. The game is still buggy and almost unplayable. From a balance, design, and content stand point to straight up constant CTD's. I'm not sure how else to say this or what to elaborate on as the issues are many. There's some obvious issues that persist since WoM!!

How do you sit through a full game of this and go "yup it's ready for release?" It's a little bit more polished as compared to WoM and FE but it still feels like an unfinished product. It's like repainting your car and putting new rims on it without fixing the engine problems. I do hate to be so negative all the time and I DO want to love this game. It has so much potential. My honest opinion though is that it still needs a few more months in the oven. I would have to give LH a 5/10 in it's current state.

I find myself going back to CIV V because even though it's less interesting as a concept, the game at least works. It feels like a finished product.

That is all. Please don't hate me for this. I know these general rants are of no help but I just want to get it off my chest. It at least helps me. I still respect all of you at Stardock and all the work you guys put into this. Please don't give up on this project and prove me wrong!

/rant

Locked Post 30 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 17, 2013 7:28:37 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

If the game is buggy for you, and you will note that the forum isn't exactly filled with angry posters, you might want to look at your configuration and share that with us so that we can see if there's some compatibility problem that we can address.

June 17, 2013 10:07:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've played more than 150 hours of Legendary Heroes, and I know that there are people on this forum that dwarf that number.  The game is in no way shape or form "almost unplayable," "unfinished," or something that could be compared to repainting a car with a broken engine, to say nothing of your completely vague complaints about "balance, design, and content."  You seem to be criticizing literally everything about the game (Okay, you didn't mention the font) without giving a single example as a justification for springing into this self-admitted rant.

June 17, 2013 10:34:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Use the support forum, see if they can help.   Without doing that, or getting into specifics I don't know how you expect a [rant] to help any - including yourself.

Feeding a troll. 

I've played 220+ hrs.  I have the occasional crash - usually after its been on for 4 or 5 hours.   I have it autosave every turn, so the most I lose is a turn.

My current game is 20+ hours, heavily modded, huge map with 17 factions (now 12).   Rarely will it "stop responding".   I reload my autosave and curse the 5 minutes wasted.

June 18, 2013 2:45:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With al due respect, but what exactly is your point. If i read correct you didn't come with a single arguement to underline your statement that the game is unbalanced and unfinished.  Apart from your personal opinion that its unfinished.  How on earth can someone prove your wrong if there is nothing to prove.

June 18, 2013 3:41:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like your computer needs help, you SHOULD be concerned, because if a game this solid is crashing that much your PC could have a serious problem.

I've had 1 or 2 CTDs and probably helped those by running mp3's while playing and/or alt tabbing incessantly.

I haven't really noticed any bugs (and I'm a bit hypercritical about stuff like that as a coder myself).

June 18, 2013 10:41:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vivas1,

With al due respect, but what exactly is your point. If i read correct you didn't come with a single arguement to underline your statement that the game is unbalanced and unfinished.  Apart from your personal opinion that its unfinished.  How on earth can someone prove your wrong if there is nothing to prove.

Like I said I really had no point. Just getting it off my chest. To me the game still lacks polish and seems unfinished. Of course there are many supporters for the game that overlook a lot of the issues but I can't seem to. I used to create lists of bugs and issues but most of them were ignored and a lot of the issues still persist. It's just a general rant to let Stardock know not everyone thinks the game is as good as they think it is. Not yet anyways. Too much blind praise is certainly not a good thing.

I'm probably 90% sure it's not my computer. Fairly new and powerful computer. Run's pretty much every game out there with no issues besides some common ones every game seems to have. Even Civ V on the largest map with max civs. Which is known to be horrendously slow and crash prone at that point but I have no issue with. I have all the latest drivers blah blah blah I could go on.

When I have time I will definitely go through the game with a fine tooth comb but as of now working 60+ hour weeks (i'm sure you guys at Stardock are doing a lot more though) I really have no time. The quick rant was the best I could do. Just quickly combing through the issues in the support forum and based on my own game play it's obvious this is a game that should still be in BETA. I'm not saying it's a bad game but it's not ready yet. Barring the CTD's even if there were no bugs it would still feel unfinished. Just something about it doesn't quite click yet.

It's hard to put into words though so trust me I don't expect supporters of the game to understand as things will always be biased one way or another. Trust me though I want to love this game as much as the next guy.

June 18, 2013 10:42:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Voqar,

I haven't really noticed any bugs (and I'm a bit hypercritical about stuff like that as a coder myself).

Oh trust me there are bugs. Just look in the support forum and the change logs. Most people just choose to overlook them or don't notice it as a bug.

June 18, 2013 11:37:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You said it CTD's constantly.  If it CTD's constantly for you but others (including myself) can play full, multi hour games without incident, what do you think is the difference?

I'm sorry you don't like our game.  But it doesn't sound like there's anything we can do to help you.  There are other games available that are in the same genre that have significant fan bases like Warlock, Eador and Age of Wonders 3 is in development. Maybe one of those will suit you better.

June 18, 2013 1:44:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just to echo others in here a bit, the game has been very stable for a lot of people. Some hardware configurations do still appear to get crashes, it sounds like unfortunately you fall in this category. If you read back through the patch notes you'll see crash fixes has been a very high priority for Stardock. You could help them get to the bottom of what's going on in your case by contacting stardock support and sending them your system info and crash logs. They send you a utility to run that collects all the info they need quickly and painlessly.

June 18, 2013 4:05:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Best advice for people like this and pretty much what Frogboy said.....move along...go play something else!

June 19, 2013 8:43:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
I find myself going back to CIV V because even though it's less interesting as a concept, the game at least works. It feels like a finished product.

I bought CiV 5 last week during a Steam sale, played a few games, and I can honestly say that this iteration of Civ is bland, lifeless and "dumbed down" relative to Civ 4.

IMHO, LH (and FE) blow Civ 5 away.

June 19, 2013 4:55:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I played alot of FE, but was a little disappointed with the beta LH.

However, the release LH is fun, addicting and very stable.  (with or without Stormworld)

I do wish you could cast tireless march on more than one group, but that is a very minor complaint.

June 19, 2013 9:12:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I believe both sides of this conversation are perfectly valid; neither side should be shouted down.  LH is now working near-perfectly for me, and I've been there since the release of WoM.  That said, this was not always the case.

LH 1.0 (and even 1.1) originally gave me the same game-ruining crash it did since my experience throughout all patches of WoM.  The dreaded, "DX error: Invalid Call".  Even in LH's most recent patch, I got this horrifying error/crash consistently after 15-35 minutes of playing.  I've run FAR more graphically-demanding/resource-demanding games than anything Stardock released, at top-quality settings without any problems.

Many, many other people were getting the exact same crash throughout the life cycle of WoM as well as FE (just google "dx error" "invalid call" and see every result specifically discussing WoM and FE for many pages).  Many couldn't get FE to play for more than a few turns before getting this specific crash, while no other games were giving them any problems.  Nobody on these forums (among tech support and other places) could give a solution that worked.  But I believe it has something to do with my video card (ATI 4600), since I've had the same one since WoM.

But before all was lost, I've discovered a solution that actually DOES work!!  -- At least it worked for me, anyway.  Upon much of my own trial and error, I tried disabling auto-saves.  Now, for whatever reason, I have not received the "DX error" once (within 30 hours of actively playing), along with barely any other crashes whatsoever; even with my game now heavily modded.  This error aside, LH always ran perfectly for me since the beginning.  But now, not having to restart the game constantly has restored my faith with Stardock.  And truthfully, I would've given up long ago if I hadn't loved Elemental so damn much to boot.

So if you (Legaceez) or anyone else is getting this specific error,

***TRY DISABLING AUTO-SAVES***.  Even if it's another type of crash, I suggest anyone getting constant crashes to try this simple solution.  It has saved me a TON of hassle.  Upon suggestion, I've also designated the game to "run as an administrator", but I'm not certain if that has helped or not.  It certainly has not hurt.  So I certainly do sympathize with those who feel the need to rant about this game, even now.  It still has its problems, and I know the OP isn't just trying to pointlessly hate on it.  I've been there.  I wanted this game to work so badly because that's how much I loved it.  So I don't think we should just write-off those who are obviously frustrated like Legaceez.  They also obviously love the game, and probably have a rig that can run it perfectly fine.  But these issues must be addressed.  And now that it works just about perfectly for me, I feel like its all been worth it.  I hope others like Legaceez can find the solace they need, like I did.

And with that, I bid you a wonderful day. 

Quoting Borg999,

I bought CiV 5 last week during a Steam sale, played a few games, and I can honestly say that this iteration of Civ is bland, lifeless and "dumbed down" relative to Civ 4.

IMHO, LH (and FE) blow Civ 5 away.

I agree with you 100%;  Although Civ5 has an expansion coming out in about a month that swears to improve upon nearly all aspects I thought were lacking (even with the religions expansion which I found a bit lackluster).

It has a chance of trumping LH, at least in my book.  I'd get into the many reasons why I say that, but then that's another long-winded, unrelated topic.  But with the way things are going, Stardock probably has something far better than LH around the corner as well.

And the cycle continues...

June 20, 2013 10:54:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

60 hours or playtime, not seeing the issues you are having.  May be time to upgrade your rig or at least run MemTest.

June 20, 2013 1:09:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I play a few hours every night and I've only crashed maybe once a week. 

June 20, 2013 1:12:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To fix Invalid DX Call turn off full screen mode in the ini file. I think it's a DX9 issue but the devs can prob clairfy on that. Invalid DX call happens when you alt tab from full screen and try to go back...I think, I accept any correction on this matter. I learned this in WOM and havent seen it since. 

June 21, 2013 1:29:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Unusual crashes are usually caused by 

1. Pirated copy

OR

2. Underwhelming computer spec

OR

3. Someone is lying

Personally, I use auto save every turn, all effects to the max, and I only play large to huge maps, I do alt tabbing a lot as well, the game runs good so far so good (may be some lag between turns near endgame but not a big deal, it is ending anyway), and definitely no crash at all.

June 21, 2013 2:03:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KatsukiLove,

Unusual crashes are usually caused by 

1. Pirated copy

OR

2. Underwhelming computer spec

OR

3. Someone is lying

Personally, I use auto save every turn, all effects to the max, and I only play large to huge maps, I do alt tabbing a lot as well, the game runs good so far so good (may be some lag between turns near endgame but not a big deal, it is ending anyway), and definitely no crash at all.

Actually there are a number of factors that you didnt include. Software conflicts, incorrect configuration, bad drivers, to name a few... The best thing to do is post your debug logs for the devs to look at. Stardock is one of the few companies with great after release support. As long as you give them the details of what is going on. Most of these details are in the debug log.

June 21, 2013 7:46:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't tried recently, but during betas ( both this and regular FE) I've had many fewer crashes by turning off the auto end turn.

June 22, 2013 4:36:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I second the autosave and auto end turn things people mentioned above. I get ctds due to those two far more often than anything else, since if I turn them off I rarely get any ctd at all.

Disabling auto save is definitely something you need to try.

June 23, 2013 12:02:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree, in any game with auto save, disabling it will decrease the frequency of random crash.

June 23, 2013 12:05:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Color me lucky I guess, as I keep auto-save set to 5 turns, and have not experienced any random crashes since early beta.

June 24, 2013 8:13:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like someone didn't play Civ5 on release.  If you think Civ5 is a finished polished game try playing multiplayer.  LOL

June 25, 2013 2:06:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wierd, I have about 100 hours on LH and not one crash..

I use to get a bunch of crashes in Elemental though.. and I think I had two in FE.

It definatly has something to do with your computer, there is not alot of people complaining about crashes..

June 25, 2013 3:38:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
Okay so I finally had the chance to sit down and play a few hours of LH 1.1. I'm disappointed to say that once again it feels like another release that is not yet ready for prime time. I was not able to finish one game. The game is still buggy and almost unplayable. From a balance, design, and content stand point to straight up constant CTD's. I'm not sure how else to say this or what to elaborate on as the issues are many. There's some obvious issues that persist since WoM!!

How do you sit through a full game of this and go "yup it's ready for release?" It's a little bit more polished as compared to WoM and FE but it still feels like an unfinished product. It's like repainting your car and putting new rims on it without fixing the engine problems. I do hate to be so negative all the time and I DO want to love this game. It has so much potential. My honest opinion though is that it still needs a few more months in the oven. I would have to give LH a 5/10 in it's current state.

That is all. Please don't hate me for this. I know these general rants are of no help but I just want to get it off my chest. It at least helps me. I still respect all of you at Stardock and all the work you guys put into this. Please don't give up on this project and prove me wrong!

/rant

I had all but given up on the game myself not because of techical problems which I have not had much of but because of game play. Quite frankly the game got boring after 30 or so turns. There was just no desire to finish the game.  But since LH I've for one have no tech issue, but also the game lay out has improved 110%.  The game is actully fun to play now (however still no ships.) And I actully look forward to playing which has never happed from WOM to FE.

A friend of mine who I've talked into getting WOM years ago and who has disliked both WOM and FE actully called me and told me he downloaded LH (for free of coarse) than that is was actully good.  Now of coarse both he and I still dislike the art style but that can be over looked. 

I have to say that Stardock has finally got the game up to par (took you guys a while) Good job.

Now Mr Devs remember that there are whole oceans out there that need loving too so please unlease navies and Sea monsters.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time: