In this price range, I would expect at least a dozen scenarios, not one

By on June 8, 2013 2:27:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DancinClaws

Join Date 01/2012
+1

Love the overhauled battle mechanics, traits tree, graphic upgrades, and bug fixes (compared to first Fallen Enchantress). First-class game now.

But -- Am I missing something?  Only a single scenario?  Every competing game in this genre, unless it sells for only a few bucks, going way back to the first Warcraft, has lengthy Campaign, with many scenarios.  Yeah, its a huge map, but still...

What would justify the price is a scenario for each Sovereign.

Rushed to market?

Even if I have to pay again for another upgrade, that is what I would like to see. Plenty of variety now in factions and monsters -- just need a variety of missions. More storylines.

I don't particularly like the other maps that are included. Playing random maps now, to try out different trait development. But not really enjoying it, feels repetitive, purposeless.

Locked Post 32 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 8, 2013 2:35:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No complaints here.  Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with *no* scenarios.  The sandbox is where I'm spending (literally) all of my time. 

And I don't fault Stardock one bit for counting on that.  Play to your strengths.

June 8, 2013 2:48:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Victor5,

Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with *no* scenarios.  The sandbox is where I'm going to spend (literally) all my time. 

And I don't fault Stardock one bit for counting on that. Play to your strengths.

Same here. I never play the scenarios in these types of games. All the fun is in sandbox mode!

June 8, 2013 3:44:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess it's all a matter of playstyle. I don't care about some premade map/story at all. I make my own story

June 8, 2013 4:43:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Never touched the scenario. Played sandbox for hundreds of hours.

June 8, 2013 4:49:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are there fan-created scenarios? This has been the saving grace of great games with limited official content, like "Neverwinter Nights."

June 8, 2013 6:04:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The sandbox game in LH is fairly deep, and is the core game.  It works pretty well for the most part.

June 8, 2013 6:28:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have not played the scenario. I like the game as is. The lore seems interesting though, I would love to play another style of game (RPG, hack and slash, something) that was more story driven and gave a more down to earth perspective of the world.

June 8, 2013 6:50:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

scenario was fun for me atleast logged in 50+ hours on that and whee unrest really ramped as i slogged on. for shure i would like another one but ravashing riddy and then moving on to insane is my goal for now.

June 8, 2013 8:11:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Add me to the list of people who play sandbox.  I may or may not get around to sampling this scenario just because it has Elemental lore.  Scenarios seem to be made for people who play both different and better than I do.

Given that we have so many people speaking up for sandbox, how many out there do put focus on the scenarios?

June 8, 2013 3:30:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

don't really care much about scenarios in this type of game. especially the silly campaigns where you get a chain of premade scenarios with limited subsets of the tech tree. never liked that concept much. for some games it works all right, but it wouldn't really work for LH, imo.

i played the LH scenario in the beta once since Derek asked the beta testers to playtest it. found it all right, though the fixed, very low difficulty made it a bit too easy for my taste. finished it in ~200 turns, found and reported some typos and bugs, probably won't replay it.

for me, the sandbox game is the real game.

June 8, 2013 4:14:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I only play sandbox. I never cared for a directed story.

June 8, 2013 9:40:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I only play sandbox as well.

June 8, 2013 9:45:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i only play sandbox mode.   I'm not interested in pre-made scenarios for LH.

June 8, 2013 11:01:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sandbox as well - played ewom, fe, LH, haven't played any scenario.

June 9, 2013 12:15:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bah, humbug.

June 9, 2013 2:45:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is actually the only campaign mode I ever completed in a Stardock game. It was really good, and I hope they go this direction with all future campaigns. The Gal Civ 2 campaigns were painful to me, the reteching and rebuilding over and over did not play to the strengths of the game. The Relias RPG-like campaigns I played before this never really drew me in, and I quit on them shortly after starting.

They should combine story and sandbox like this campaign in future dlc/expansions/any other future TBS game, it is the best of both worlds. You get a hand-crafted map with human-designed features (like the gold mines in the beginning), and the story was a treat, and it all fit in to the awesome core game as well.

June 9, 2013 3:38:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From my perspective there's an infinite number of scenarios. Random map generator + faction creator mean you can set things up any way you want. The pre-made story scenario doesn't interest me much.

June 9, 2013 8:23:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very interesting to hear so many people ignore the scenario. That helps me understand the justification for this product.

I wonder if there is some extension that would appeal to me, as well as to those replying here.

Or maybe it is a different product, to different customers. Take the game engine, commission some map builders, and a story writer for the overall scenario story. Given how successful Blizzard was even before WoW, done properly there could be a lot of money made based on this game engine, oriented around story lines. Seems to me the hardest work has been done already.

Anyway, I'd buy it

June 10, 2013 9:31:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Victor5,
No complaints here.  Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with *no* scenarios.  The sandbox is where I'm spending (literally) all of my time. 

And I don't fault Stardock one bit for counting on that.  Play to your strengths.

^This

I caved on FE and played the scenario to the effect of huge disappointment. I won't be making that same mistake again with LH. Thank you but sandbox mode is really the only viable platform for 4x strategy.

Now, the concept of having an RPG plot within the sandbox mode is totally viable, and I would have thought easily doable considering the questlike structure FE has.

Each faction sovereign could of had a good and bad outcome, depending on the decisions you made along the way; each decision that would bring you to the next part of the quest. It would be something that you chose to follow or chose to ignore. Ultimately all quests, good and bad, would converge on either the Epic Dragons quest or the Spell of Mastery 'quest' or the Pit of ceggwgsdv quest; each if successful resulting in the successful conclusion of the game. It would give the sovereigns LIFE; character development and depth...

Naturally, custom factions wouldn't have the same 'quest' unless you had the ability to insert a story into it's build or design your own. Else the three quests mentioned above would just be open to persue...

Thoughts?

edit: I suppose one other point to the arguement could come into place if the third expansion was named 'Legenadary Heroes: Elemental Reborn' (as I suggested in another thread) as giving each sovereign a dynamic backstory and series of quests to follow throughout the coarse of a sandbox game would really show what the world of Elemental is to be like...

June 10, 2013 9:40:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's a scenario?

June 10, 2013 10:02:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The scenario for LH is the first scenario I've ever played for a TBS game and then I only played it because it's essentially a sandbox game with some nice story elements and custom quests.  

June 10, 2013 10:09:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I played the scenario as an intro to LH, which all the message-board traffic had made me nervous about.  It was great; I liked the plot and the geography and the whole thing.  Would love more similar content.  

June 10, 2013 4:02:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SCampb29,

I played the scenario as an intro to LH.....

I'm kinda tempted to try it myself now...

June 10, 2013 4:23:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I played the scenario. Crushed every faction up until only 1 Yithril city remained and the entire eastern continent was mine.

Won by entering the Forge.

Didn't recieve my last pending Steam Achievement.

A SAD DAY WAS THAT. Tenth of hours for nothing.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046317994

Why doesn't this last Achievemnt work... ?

June 10, 2013 10:48:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did you keep a save?  If you have a save just before the end you should be able to complete the achievement when they get that working.  Provided of course they can fix the bug and give even old saves a chance to complete and get the achievement.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000047   Page Render Time: