Modding questions/help thread

By on June 1, 2013 9:05:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cohka

Join Date 07/2007

Figured we needed a thread for questions that didn't need to take up valuable room from talented mod'rs.

843 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 23, 2014 11:05:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh! Thank you for the super fast reply!

1 - I'll take a deep look at the tag list we have so far  and try to figure out how this XML to XSD converter works!

2 - Humm, so there is no way to set it for each separated city? My goal was to limit the number of units inside the city walls to prevent an abuse of my intended mod.

The mod (at the first stage) should consist of a worker unit that gives 1+ prod to the city it is stationed x the number of 'units' in its squad. (ex. group of 3 workers = 3 + production bonus to the city is stationed in, squad = 4+ prod etc..)

But I'm also having problems with setting this production bonus inside a weapon... perhaps there is a way to multiply a unit bonus by the number of "people" in its group?

3 - Sorry, didn't understand, you mean city defenders?

4 - Ok, thanks for that, I'll take a look at this in your mod as soon as I figure out a way to add the prod bonus to the weapon.

August 23, 2014 2:18:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

August 23, 2014 2:31:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, very nice! Thanks for the tip!

2- I see, I'll try to think on a workaround for this... I've seen somewhere around here that elemental game used to support python modding, there is still some support for that? Or perhaps lua?

I believe that this feature whould allow a lot of new strategies, as villages will be much more difficult to protect, and big fortress will allow a better group of defenders...

Also, a big problem that I'm having with LH modding is the need to restart the program and game every time I change something in the xml mods folder. There is a way to have a more "realtime" modding?

At least that I don't have to restart the whole program? Perhaps mod the savefile xml?

Thanks for the help!

August 23, 2014 2:46:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

August 23, 2014 7:46:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ohh... That's pretty sad... =p I was expecting that there was at least some way to make the testing process a little less tedious, but that's is fine... I think I must try to plan ahead the changes well, for it takes me good 10min to be able to reload all!

Sure, it's very interesting, I dig in it for sometime. I'm sure that will open lots of oportunities, the best thing would be a mod documentation from stardock, but as far as I can see about the others issues in game, that wont be a priority so soon...

Its great! I had been thinking about the possibility of modding the production per material tags, I'm glad to know it is!

Thanks for all!

August 24, 2014 9:07:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Ghallandir,

Quoting Ghallandir,

Ohh... That's pretty sad... =p I was expecting that there was at least some way to make the testing process a little less tedious,

I've only modded a few games but they all require restarting to pickup changes.

Quoting Ghallandir,

as villages will be much more difficult to protect, and big fortress will allow a better group of defenders...

You can do that now with xml.

Quoting Ghallandir,

it takes me good 10min to be able to reload all!

How old is your PC that's crazy...!?  Takes me like 30 secs or something, my PC is fairly recent but nothing too amazing.

August 26, 2014 1:30:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Abob,

So..

1 - Well and many games do not, at least they will not require both game and program restart. That's my main problem with it, but that's also ok!

2 - Not (as far as I (and primal too) know) for what I mean to change is the guarison number localy for each city. There seem to be a global (all factions) tag for it, but it shouldn't help with this issue.

3- Well, pretty old first i5 laptop line I think. 10 min is about the whole process: exit program -> restart program -> choose lider -> choose game settings -> load game -> create city -> etc...

August 26, 2014 9:37:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ghallandir,

2 - Not (as far as I (and primal too) know) for what I mean to change is the guarison number localy for each city. There seem to be a global (all factions) tag for it, but it shouldn't help with this issue.

Ah sorry I misunderstood, you mean the number of units that can go in a city.  Sorry I thought you were talking about auto summoned defending units.

August 28, 2014 10:55:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No problem, that would allow a much quicker solution I'm sure about that!

But I still cannot put the mod to work as I cannot do 2 (I also thought would be simple, stuff)

1 -Make a special effect (or attribute) of a weapon to multiply to the number of units in a squad.

2 - Allow a weapon to have a effect link (give X gildar (mana, research, etc) to the city its (that the unit wielding it is ) stationated in. Or at least to allow TroopCount to work with a unit special ability

I have seen that TroopCount works well with spells, perhaps I could create a workaround for that using them, but that creates a whole layer of complication specially regarding strategic spells.

August 28, 2014 12:15:35 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You can give the player the gildar / mana directly. But I don't think it is possible to give these resources directly to the city.

When you make a special ability, you can have it cast a spell like effect and therefore you can allow TroopCount to work within a spell like ability. You can check out some of the summoning spells in the game.

August 28, 2014 9:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I got success when trying to give a production bonus through a unit to a city. But not gildar and mana (and that is important because of the city bonuses that are not applied if the unit give it directly to the mana pool (even the tech ones...).

Hum, that's great I didnt think about those summoning spells, they might be the key! Thank you very much! =D

August 29, 2014 6:29:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hello guys !

Im really fan of FE : Legendary Heroes but there is one thing I would like to mod especially : unit grouping number

It could be a simple mod, only providing 2 times more unit graphism for "party (6 units)" or "compagny (12 units)"

It is possible to create such a mod ? 

August 29, 2014 10:35:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey Space,

There are some post around the forum about this moddings, (I believe they could get as far as 20! units around), but anyway, you should achieve that by modding the CoreUnitGroupingTypes.xml file!

Good luck!

August 29, 2014 10:50:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you for the quick answer !

20 units ? Awesome, its exactly what I want ^^

I will search on the forum then

October 6, 2014 12:47:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there any way to give a faction shop discounts for champions?

October 6, 2014 1:22:53 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

No there is no way to do this. Even Frogboy has mentioned that he would have liked to see this implemented, but it was not possible. I can't find the post that says this, but I wanted to do something similar with discounting and making things cost more when you purchased from other factions.

October 6, 2014 1:31:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UnleashedElf,

Is there any way to give a faction shop discounts for champions?

Use the Capitar faction as a basis for your new faction and you will get a 20% discount.

Note that some issues exist when multiple Capitar factions are used, see here.

LH Mods by Primal

XtraDeconstruct

XtraDeconstruct Canons

October 6, 2014 2:01:28 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I missed that in the changelog. So does this 20% off only works in their territories? Is it a particular ability or is it hard-coded?

October 6, 2014 3:13:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

October 8, 2014 10:10:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi all. Sorry if I repeat a question.

.xml files have this structure:

<GameModifier>

//****
<ModType>Something</ModType>
<Attribute>Something</Attribute>
<StrVal>Something</StrVal>

//****
</GameModifier>

Where I may see all names of ModTypes Attributes and StrVals?

Thank you!

October 8, 2014 10:32:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

October 8, 2014 10:46:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, Thanks a lot!

October 21, 2014 11:19:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Q1:

The tag "UnitJoinArmy" - any way to get this to spawn in the neighboring tile or is that not possible?

Q2:

Could each faction's city level up be changed? For example when you level up for a city, you get 3 choices. Could that somehow be modified for each faction so that each faction got different upgrades?

The individual improvements are in the CoreAbilitiles, like "CityLevel_UnlockLevel2", but what controls when each one is activated? Or is that hard coded?

Edit:

Looks like:

<GameModifier>
            <ModType>LevelBarrier</ModType>
            <Attribute>Population</Attribute>
            <Value>x</Value>
            <CityUpgrade>x</CityUpgrade>
        </GameModifier>

Could mod this I guess.

But how to get the options for each level up to change per faction?

October 22, 2014 2:28:59 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Q1: I've not been successful in spawning an army in the neighboring tile. The only thing that does this is the quest spawning... maybe you can work something with that, but I don't think so...

Q2: Are you not able to place the prereq of the faction in the gamemodifier for level ups? I thought this would work.

Otherwise, I do believe you can set up different building styles and have different upgrade paths after the first city level-up by using the RaceConfig files. Set a new city hub type and give a prereq that the player owns that particular city hub??? not sure if that would work or not.

Another maybe tie this to the prereqs of faction traits that one chooses for the beginning.

Note: I'll have to test this out, but I've got little time.

November 1, 2014 2:51:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heya folks. Picked up this game several months ago, and I've been brewing up mod ideas. I'm curious if anyone knows if this is possible.

1. Converting the race of any champions you recruit through fame/quests to your own race/faction. I'm envisioning a 'Dead' faction Sovereign 'bringing someone into the fold' so to speak, perhaps via some sort of spell or the like.

2. Follow-up the above: How feasible would it be to create a new model for that character on the fly in the game? Can it even be done?  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001282   Page Render Time: