Modding questions/help thread

By on June 1, 2013 9:05:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cohka

Join Date 07/2007

Figured we needed a thread for questions that didn't need to take up valuable room from talented mod'rs.

843 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 29, 2014 12:40:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What does this tag do?

<GetPerksOnLevelUp>0</GetPerksOnLevelUp>

When I set it to 0, nothing seems to change. Champions that level up still get to choose new perks.

July 29, 2014 12:57:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

July 29, 2014 1:09:04 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting UnleashedElf,
What does this tag do? <GetPerksOnLevelUp>0</GetPerksOnLevelUp>

Give it to trained units and they will get perks on level up! 

Without them being a champion... I think the scions have this ability.

July 29, 2014 9:40:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That tag was also used on hero units in E:WoM to give a unit perk point at certain levels.

July 29, 2014 4:00:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry if posted already - tried to search but didn't see what I'm about to ask, though I did learn that my effort for setting a level progression via the LevelMilestone tags was a waste of time So silly to make it apply only to spawned levels and not attained levels as well...

Anyway...

I want to create trainable monsters for my new faction. I have successfully added a new trait "BeastAffinity" to the faction traits screen and created the faction with the faction editor.

I then tested the trait to make sure it was showing up (it was, I saw the icon show up on the faction) and that it was reading correctly. I created a copy of the Bound Widow, set it to require my new trait (instead of Cult of a 100 Eyes) and it worked. I saw the stock Bound Widow and the copy "Bound Widow II".

Feeling good about myself, I copied the Great Wolf from the monsters file, made my edits, set my new trait as the pre-req...and nothing. It does not show up in the list of trainable units like the "new" Bound Widow did.

I tried a straight copy/paste of the stock Bound Widow and edited that to fit what I wanted...and that didn't work either. I took the Bound Widow II entry and edited it, and then THAT entry disappeared! WTF! It works if it's a straight copy/paste with just a new name and the prereq. as my trait, but if I put in other stuff like the graphics so it can be a wolf or a dog instead of a spider...it disappears?? What?

I am at a loss. I have done a line-by-line comparison of the stock Bound Widow and my monsters. I don't see anything that's missing. I don't get it.

My current code is below.

Code: xml
  1. <UnitTypes>
  2.     <UnitType InternalName="Seyal_GreatWolf">
  3.         <DisplayName>War Wolf</DisplayName>
  4.         <CreatureType>Beast</CreatureType>
  5.         <CanBeDesigned>1</CanBeDesigned>
  6.         <AdditionalTrainingTurns>100</AdditionalTrainingTurns>
  7.         <HasWages>0</HasWages>
  8.         <IsSovereign>0</IsSovereign>
  9.         <IsUniqueButBuildable>1</IsUniqueButBuildable>
  10.         <AllowGrouping>0</AllowGrouping>
  12.         <Prereq>
  13.             <Type>AbilityBonusOption</Type>
  14.             <Attribute>Seyal_BeastAffinity</Attribute>
  15.             <Target>Player</Target>
  16.         </Prereq>    
  17.         <ProductionRequirement>
  18.             <Type>Resource</Type>
  19.             <Attribute>Mana</Attribute>
  20.             <Value>120</Value>
  21.         </ProductionRequirement>        
  22.         <LevelMilestone InternalName="L1">
  23.             <Level>1</Level>
  24.             <UnitStat_Accuracy>75</UnitStat_Accuracy>
  25.             <UnitStat_Attack_Pierce>16</UnitStat_Attack_Pierce>
  26.             <UnitStat_ChanceToCrit>1</UnitStat_ChanceToCrit>
  27.             <UnitStat_CombatSpeed>28</UnitStat_CombatSpeed>
  28.             <UnitStat_Defense_Pierce>3</UnitStat_Defense_Pierce>
  29.             <UnitStat_HitPoints>40</UnitStat_HitPoints>
  30.             <UnitStat_Intelligence>1</UnitStat_Intelligence>
  31.             <UnitStat_Moves>5</UnitStat_Moves>
  32.         </LevelMilestone>
  33.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Counterattack</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
  34.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Spell_Howl</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
  35.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Endurance1</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
  36.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>PackTactics</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
  37.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>MaulAbility</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>        
  38.         <Backstory>War Wolves are natural wolves that have been infused with mana, causing their fur to take a bluish tint. The mana infusion enhances the wolf's physical capabilities while retaining the ability and desire to hunt in cooperative units. </Backstory>
  39.         <Medallions InternalName="">
  40.             <All>M_Wolf_GreatWolf_Card.png</All>
  41.         </Medallions>
  42.         <AnimationPack>WolfAnimationPack</AnimationPack>
  43.         <BattleAnimationBehavior>Melee</BattleAnimationBehavior>
  44.         <ClothMapScale>1.6</ClothMapScale>
  45.         <Color_Skin>175,198,205</Color_Skin>
  46.         <CutSceneDataPack>WolfUnitCutscenePack</CutSceneDataPack>
  47.         <EyeTexture>gfx/eyes/male_brown_eye.png</EyeTexture>
  48.         <InfoCardBackground>BG21_Plains</InfoCardBackground>
  49.         <ModelPath>gfx/hkb/Monsters/M_Wolf_Mesh_01.hkb</ModelPath>
  50.         <ModelScale>2</ModelScale>
  51.         <MovingSFX>TEMP_KnightMarching1</MovingSFX>
  52.         <OnAttackParticleName>Bite_Attack</OnAttackParticleName>
  53.         <OnHitParticleName>Bloody_OnHit</OnHitParticleName>
  54.         <SkeletonPath>Gfx\HKB\Monsters\M_Wolf_Skeleton_01.hkb</SkeletonPath>
  55.         <SoundPack>SoundPack_Wolf1</SoundPack>
  56.         <TacticalModelScale>2</TacticalModelScale>
  57.         <Texture_Skin>M_Wolf_Texture_01.png</Texture_Skin>
  58.     </UnitType>
  60. </UnitTypes>

July 29, 2014 5:03:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

July 29, 2014 5:31:15 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

So first you can have at most 4 selectedabilitybonusoptions...

Also, <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>MaulAbility</SelectedAbilityBonusOption> Should be <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Maul</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>

I think the problem lies with the selected ability bonus options. If you comment out all of them the monster will show up.

I've been successful in having the options

<SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Counterattack</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
<SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Spell_Howl</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
<SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Endurance1</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
<SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Maul</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>

I have not been able to get the ability PackTactics to work. I think it is a prerequisite problem with the unit. Might be able to work around it by making your own version of pack-tactics.

Edit: The working test version I used.

<UnitType InternalName="Seyal_GreatWolf">
    <DisplayName>War Wolf</DisplayName>
    <CreatureType>Beast</CreatureType>
    <CanBeDesigned>1</CanBeDesigned>
    <AdditionalTrainingTurns>100</AdditionalTrainingTurns>
    <HasWages>0</HasWages>
    <IsSovereign>0</IsSovereign>
    <IsUniqueButBuildable>1</IsUniqueButBuildable>
    <AllowGrouping>0</AllowGrouping>
    <LevelMilestone InternalName="L1">
    <Level>1</Level>
        <UnitStat_Accuracy>75</UnitStat_Accuracy>
        <UnitStat_Attack_Pierce>16</UnitStat_Attack_Pierce>
        <UnitStat_ChanceToCrit>1</UnitStat_ChanceToCrit>
        <UnitStat_CombatSpeed>28</UnitStat_CombatSpeed>
        <UnitStat_Defense_Pierce>3</UnitStat_Defense_Pierce>
        <UnitStat_HitPoints>40</UnitStat_HitPoints>
        <UnitStat_Intelligence>1</UnitStat_Intelligence>
        <UnitStat_Moves>5</UnitStat_Moves>
    </LevelMilestone>
    <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Counterattack</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
    <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Spell_Howl</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
    <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Endurance1</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
    <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Maul</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
    <Prereq>
        <Type>AbilityBonusOption</Type>
        <Attribute>CultofaHundredEyes</Attribute>
        <Target>Player</Target>
    </Prereq>
    <ProductionRequirement>
        <Type>Resource</Type>
        <Attribute>Mana</Attribute>
        <Value>20</Value>
    </ProductionRequirement>
    <Backstory>War Wolves are natural wolves that have been infused with mana, causing their fur to take a bluish tint. The mana infusion enhances the wolf's physical capabilities while retaining the ability and desire to hunt in cooperative units. </Backstory>
    <Medallions InternalName="">
        <All>M_Wolf_GreatWolf_Card.png</All>
    </Medallions>
    <AnimationPack>WolfAnimationPack</AnimationPack>
    <BattleAnimationBehavior>Melee</BattleAnimationBehavior>
    <ClothMapScale>1.6</ClothMapScale>
    <Color_Skin>175,198,205</Color_Skin>
    <CutSceneDataPack>WolfUnitCutscenePack</CutSceneDataPack>
    <EyeTexture>gfx/eyes/male_brown_eye.png</EyeTexture>
    <InfoCardBackground>BG21_Plains</InfoCardBackground>
    <ModelPath>gfx/hkb/Monsters/M_Wolf_Mesh_01.hkb</ModelPath>
    <ModelScale>2</ModelScale>
    <MovingSFX>TEMP_KnightMarching1</MovingSFX>
    <OnAttackParticleName>Bite_Attack</OnAttackParticleName>
    <OnHitParticleName>Bloody_OnHit</OnHitParticleName>
    <SkeletonPath>Gfx\HKB\Monsters\M_Wolf_Skeleton_01.hkb</SkeletonPath>
    <SoundPack>SoundPack_Wolf1</SoundPack>
    <TacticalModelScale>2</TacticalModelScale>
    <Texture_Skin>M_Wolf_Texture_01.png</Texture_Skin>
</UnitType>

July 29, 2014 5:32:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Give it to trained units and they will get perks on level up!

That makes some sense. I suppose there's no way to prevent this from happening is there?

July 29, 2014 5:35:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

>

I have not been able to get the ability PackTactics to work. I think it is a prerequisite problem with the unit. Might be able to work around it by making your own version of pack-tactics.

You cannot because it's part of the warrior tree. Anything inside the tree of any of the 5 paths cannot be used.

July 29, 2014 5:42:14 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting UnleashedElf,

You cannot because it's part of the warrior tree. Anything inside the tree of any of the 5 paths cannot be used.

Kind of what I figured. Haven't decided to mod elemental in a while. So, to get what he wants he could add in the LevelMilestone

<UnitStat_SwarmBonusCounter>2</UnitStat_SwarmBonusCounter>

It should have the same effect as Pack Tactics.

July 29, 2014 7:39:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the help - I'll make the changes (no idea about the ability limit!) and take a look at other ideas mentioned.

Love the fast response! Thanks again

July 30, 2014 2:06:49 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yeah, after painful discovery you find that all units you can train can have no more than 4 SelectedAbilityBonusOptions, this includes the blood traits. So, effectively you can only put 3 other abilities per trainable unit.

On the other hand, you can have lots of SelectedAbilityBonusOptions, if you are not going to train the unit but be given the unit via a spell or quest or treasure.

July 30, 2014 11:23:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Yeah, after painful discovery you find that all units you can train can have no more than 4 SelectedAbilityBonusOptions, this includes the blood traits. So, effectively you can only put 3 other abilities per trainable unit.

On the other hand, you can have lots of SelectedAbilityBonusOptions, if you are not going to train the unit but be given the unit via a spell or quest or treasure.

You can change that in the faction settings. There's a tag that is assigned to each faction that you can change.

July 30, 2014 12:56:37 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting UnleashedElf,

You can change that in the faction settings. There's a tag that is assigned to each faction that you can change.

To which tag do you refer? I don't recall of the ability of using more than 4 selected ability bonus options for trained units.

July 30, 2014 1:38:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

<A_Traits>6.0000</A_Traits>

Put this in your race config file for that faction for 6 traits for example. All units will then have up to 6 traits.

July 30, 2014 1:42:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I didn't know that tag. Would have been helpful know about this one sooner...

July 30, 2014 2:01:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for sharing, Unleashed Elf!

Going to hunt that tag down ASAP

July 30, 2014 9:05:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

I didn't know that tag. Would have been helpful know about this one sooner...

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have more that 6 or 7 tags, it will cover up the construction time when building units.

August 4, 2014 12:39:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi all,

Having a bit of a muck around with the map editor... does anyone know how to place a forest tile so that it is the right size for a tactical map?

Not the brush size, but the tree/prop size... So, if you're working on a tactical map, you can click on the forest tool thing and place a forest tile, but the trees are way too small (like they are sized for strategic view).  Can't figure out how to change their scale to be as big as the other trees on tactical maps.

?

August 4, 2014 2:04:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting abob101,

Hi all,

Having a bit of a muck around with the map editor... does anyone know how to place a forest tile so that it is the right size for a tactical map?

Not the brush size, but the tree/prop size... So, if you're working on a tactical map, you can click on the forest tool thing and place a forest tile, but the trees are way too small (like they are sized for strategic view).  Can't figure out how to change their scale to be as big as the other trees on tactical maps.

?

Playing with that myself you manually have to place the forest props and change the scale yourself (at least the way I was able to do it). edit: Press + or - on the number pad, to increase the size of props you place.

August 4, 2014 2:50:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Playing with that myself you manually have to place the forest props and change the scale yourself (at least the way I was able to do it). edit: Press + or - on the number pad, to increase the size of props you place.

I think [Shift] or [Ctrl] + mousewheel will change rotation and scale.  Not sure which does what.  I know it works that way in the Builder's Forge, anyhow.

August 4, 2014 8:26:41 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,

I think [Shift] or [Ctrl] + mousewheel will change rotation and scale.  Not sure which does what.  I know it works that way in the Builder's Forge, anyhow.

I tried it out, that was the reason for the edit. It turned out that the cartographer table requires the numpad + and -.

August 5, 2014 11:31:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Aha thanks got it working thanks.

Quoting mqpiffle,

OK cool it's Shift +mousewheel to rotate.

Right we're in business thanks guys, time to go edit those few maps that drive me nuts.

August 22, 2014 10:37:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey, nice to know about this tag as well. Is there a forum post with the consolidate list of all (or almost all anyway) in LH?

I'm also in need of some help for a small mod of mine:

• I need to know how to limit the number of allowed units inside a city
  • Then, I'd need to allow this limit to increase with each city size (perhaps even using the 5+ levels mod)
  • I'd also need to know if its possible to create a new update type for weapons (ex. magical bows...) It's very important for my mod, I was thinking to try differents approaches and see if it works, but perhaps someone had tryed this before, so...
  • There are more specific needs that I shall ask for help in the post with the alpha release of the mod...

Thank you in advance for your answers, that's an amazing game, and I came by full of ideas. Hope some will endup as mods that the community may like.

August 22, 2014 10:59:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: