Modding questions/help thread

By on June 1, 2013 9:05:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cohka

Join Date 07/2007

Figured we needed a thread for questions that didn't need to take up valuable room from talented mod'rs.

843 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 25, 2014 12:58:01 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You can create a choice dialogue and use a quest to spawn a hero in your faction. Give your faction a specific resource so it can be used as a requirement in the choice dialogue.

The spell version would require you to do much the same, utilizing the spell cost to be the faction specific resource again. Or you can give the faction the summon hero spell.

I would have to look up all the details on summoning a champion at a specific level. But the spawn rating is used to create a champion at the levels currently. 

June 25, 2014 1:26:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok thanks, will give it a shot.

June 26, 2014 6:05:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Question - when one makes a new resoruce or weapon type, it always sez "String Not Found".

Is there any place where that string can be defined?

Also, can one define an icon for a custom weapon type?

June 26, 2014 8:25:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I am not exactly sure what your problem is, but there is the elemental.str file that you can edit a simple text editor that you can look at and maybe it holds your answer.  Can you tell us what you are doing and maybe we can figure out if that is what you should be editing.

June 26, 2014 8:32:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, the Faith resource shows "StringNotFound" when you hover over it.

And the greatsword group of weapons in the unit design screen shows the same thing. Naturally, units that use greatsword don't have a weapon icon.

June 26, 2014 9:26:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,
Well, I am not exactly sure what your problem is, but there is the elemental.str file that you can edit a simple text editor that you can look at and maybe it holds your answer.

Yep it's in there.

Quoting TrashMan,
And the greatsword group of weapons in the unit design screen shows the same thing. Naturally, units that use greatsword don't have a weapon icon.

If you mean the little icon things just name them in the same way the default icons are named and it automatically works if I recall correctly.

June 26, 2014 1:15:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks. it works now.

June 27, 2014 11:15:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there anything like a modding guide, except this one? That one is basically just an intro to the various tools. This game seems very accessible from a modding perspective, and what has always stopped me from modding has never been lack of design skill or ideas (I do a lot of P&P RPG design) but rather that I've never been able to learn a programming language (not for lack of trying).

But without understanding how the game works it's still hard; I've tried messing around a bit this afternoon, but everytime I think I've understood something it seems I mess it up again without knowing why.

June 27, 2014 11:23:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

June 28, 2014 2:33:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, thanks a LOT! Now my weekend will be full

June 28, 2014 4:10:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there any way to disable the event that automatically gives you champions, but to keep it for the other players?

Coregameevents.xml has a list of champions at each level, but I am not sure how to disable it for a single player.

June 28, 2014 4:51:37 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I don't think it is possible to disable it for a single player.

I would recommend that the faction you want to eliminate it for just eats fame for breakfast. Or has a penalty that prevents that faction from getting fame altogether. You would have to create a cost per turn for the faction that just removes fame accumulated by that faction. There are bonuses to fame given to questing by Altar, maybe you can reverse the effect on this faction.

The other idea is to create a separate resource where every faction gets it like fame, except the faction you are creating.

I don't think there is a clean way of doing this.

June 28, 2014 5:29:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok thanks.

I don't think fame does anything else save for champions anyway; maybe scoring too?

June 28, 2014 8:17:17 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Fame is used to hire henchmen for Altar. Might be a few other things, but I can't think of it right now.

June 29, 2014 9:37:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Guys what's a balance amount for a Sov Trait "Famous" that generates fame....?

+1 Fame per turn ?

Edit....

While i'm at it... what about a Sov Weakness that reduces Initiative, what is balance....   -1 Init, -2 maybe ?

Thanks

June 29, 2014 10:48:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Speaking as kind of a newb myself, but that has put more hours than I care to admit these last two weeks, I'd say +1 fame per turn seems a bit much for a trait, though it'd be kind of a strange trait if done by itself; if I were to design the trait, I'd have a lesser trait and combine it with something else. +1 Fame per round is a lot in the early game, but quickly loses importance as the stuff you can do with fame is very limited.

I'd probably do something like: "Popular - +1 fame every three turns, unit wages -10%".

For the weakness, though Init is very very powerful, sovereigns tend to end up with a lot. Still, I'd probably put it at -1; more than that and I couldn't see myself ever taking it. Or perhaps make it a percentage?

June 29, 2014 1:25:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

June 29, 2014 5:32:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Primal_Savage, this is exactly what I have been thinking or a long time but said much more simply.  It also relates to abilities being a flat % based instead of a slowly growing ability.  With abilities that have % based increases you can have uncontrolled growth due to multiple stacking.  Or a lack of stacking and end up with static increases and only have a marginal effect in the long run.

June 29, 2014 8:38:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If it is a Sov-only Ability, you could use a percentage and it couldn't stack, because no-one else on the same side could get it (unless you got another Sov to surrender which had it).

June 29, 2014 9:39:41 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I always look at the sovereign bonus to be more of an initial game boon and doesn't grow with the sovereign as that is the point of the level-up system. If you want it to grow with the sovereign, they really should produce another level up tab for the profession of the sovereign. But then there are just not enough levels given to a character to justify this tree as well.

June 29, 2014 10:49:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

I always look at the sovereign bonus to be more of an initial game boon and doesn't grow with the sovereign as that is the point of the level-up system. If you want it to grow with the sovereign, they really should produce another level up tab for the profession of the sovereign...

So those Sovereign talents missed the point of a level-up system:

Hardy: +1 HP/Level

Brillant: +2 SpellMastery/Level

Discipline: +1 Accuracy/Level, +1 SpellResistance/Level

LH Mods by Primal

XtraDeconstruct

XtraDeconstruct Canons

June 30, 2014 12:37:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think there's necessarily anything "wrong" with having a trait choice that provides a significant boost earlier game but less impact later game.  Wealthy for example is like that.... and I think it works ok.  

Wealthy could be setup in several ways:

+500 starting goldar (like now), early game bonus

+5 gildar / turn... bonus that last all game

+1 gildar/level per turn... scales into the late game

Note those values are probably way out of balance, it just illustrates the point.

Personally I think it's interesting to have a mix of choices, some that impact more early game vs. some that scale better.

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Good point.

But yet Might is +3 Attack right? (i'm at work can't check).  So there is a mix, which is fine.

The resource providing ones don't scale with the sov:

Wealth +500 starting gildar.

Attainment +2 Mana/turn.

I guess I was looking at the "Famous" trait as being similar to Attunement.... i.e. a nice early game boost that becomes less relevant late game. 

June 30, 2014 12:40:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think there's necessarily anything "wrong" with having a trait choice that provides a significant boost earlier game but less impact later game.  Wealthy for example is like that.... and I think it works ok.  

Wealthy could be setup in several ways:

+500 starting goldar (like now), early game bonus

+5 gildar / turn... bonus that last all game

+1 gildar/level per turn... scales into the late game

Note those values are probably way out of balance, it just illustrates the point.

Personally I think it's interesting to have a mix of choices, some that impact more early game vs. some that scale better.

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Good point.

But yet Might is +3 Attack right? (i'm at work can't check).  So there is a mix, which is fine.

Attainment +2 Mana/turn.

I guess I was looking at the "Famous" trait as being similar to Attunement.... i.e. a nice early game boost that becomes less relevant late game.  My specific case.... one of the Sov's in the next D&W version is supposed to be a powerful warrior/leader that attracts followers.... hence I was thinking of a +fame trait.    Maybe +1/turn.

June 30, 2014 12:55:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,

Attainment +2 Mana/turn.

Fair enough, though I would point out that Wealthy (LH 1.6) does scale with the Sov Power or at least the Faction Power (In that the stronger you are, the better the loot you usually find):

+400 Gildar & Double value when selling in shops

So in absolute, you get maybe +5 Gildar from selling low-end item but +100 for selling high-end item.

In any case, if you want +1 Fame/Season, I'm not stopping you! It does seem a bit better than the Adventurer Profession, but I'm not sure I would select either when creating a Sovereign.

LH Mods by Primal

XtraDeconstruct

XtraDeconstruct Canons

July 1, 2014 8:56:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,
+400 Gildar & Double value when selling in shops

OK I hadn't even noticed that change thanks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time: