Modding questions/help thread

By on June 1, 2013 9:05:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cohka

Join Date 07/2007

Figured we needed a thread for questions that didn't need to take up valuable room from talented mod'rs.

843 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 27, 2014 6:43:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The ability to create an additional faction would be great.  If I understand the code correctly there are 4 different factions, Kingdom, Empire, Monsters, and Wildlands.  I am not sure if there are or are not sub factions underneath Monsters and Wildlands.

February 27, 2014 7:39:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,

The ability to create an additional faction would be great.  If I understand the code correctly there are 4 different factions, Kingdom, Empire, Monsters, and Wildlands.  I am not sure if there are or are not sub factions underneath Monsters and Wildlands.

I think it's actually possible. I have not tried though.

You would need to make an architectural style (hard unless you want to use the same buildings as the current types), diplomatic relationships, and perhaps some specific improvements.

Then you'd have to make a way to make custom factions.

Hmm ... is there anything hardcoded?

February 27, 2014 9:59:32 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The number of allegiances is hardcoded. The allegiance either Kingdom or Empire, and that determines whether you use life or death shards (and a few other prerequisite items, but falls among those lines). You can change environment spread and that will switch whether you get life shard or death shards, so it is appropriate that kingdom spread grassland, and empire spread deadlands. If they include more environments than the 3 they currently have, it is conceivable to create a more unique look to each of these empires. But I do believe they do not do this from a hardcoded standpoint as well as a memory standpoint.

I don't know if you can just switch

<FactionAllegiance>MYEMPIREOFAWESOME</FactionAllegiance>

and build things from that point of view. Where your EMPIRE OF AWESOME spreads a barren waste across the map as it expands. This might work to define a new allegiance, or it might not. But we have a lot of control to make a faction unique (just allegiance can't really be changed much)

February 28, 2014 3:28:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Primal / pm,

I think I failed explaining my question, let me try and clarify....

I have created a new Race, i.e. like Trog.  Lets call it SuperTrog.

It shows up in the Faction Creator correctly and works fine.  It shows as a new available Race that can be selected when creating a new Faction.

However, you can choose the SuperTrog race whether you select Kingdom or Empire Allegiance.

I want to make my SuperTrog race Empire only (like Trogs), so that if you are in the Faction Creator, and have checked Kingdom, it doesn't show up as an available race.

So like Trogs, Umber and from memory (i'm at work) Quendar are only available as Empire.

The rest of the races can be either Kingdom or Empire I think.

Not sure if it's possible?  Make sense?

Thanks

February 28, 2014 4:24:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 28, 2014 8:23:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Must be hardcoded, but search around and see if a particular tag forces the race to not show up in the faction creator.

February 28, 2014 8:30:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
see if a particular tag forces the race to not show up in the faction creator.

Not that this is proof or anything, but I suspect if there was such a tag (known), then Heavenfall would have used it in CoS.  As it stands, all the new races appear in the faction creator with text stating that custom factions based on those races is unsupported.  FWIW.

February 28, 2014 8:32:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah buggered if I can find anything.  Doesn't matter too much but just confuses me that I can't see why it behaves like that.  Would be surprised if something like that was hardcoded but could be I guess.

Anyways thanks for the input guys if I stumble across something let you know.

February 28, 2014 4:06:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 28, 2014 7:04:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

One odd thing is although it doesn't allow you to have a Kingdom Quendar faction in the sovereign creator, it allows you to have an Undead Kingdom faction (which would seem rather contradictory). Strange, eh?

February 28, 2014 10:44:00 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting anc40,

One odd thing is although it doesn't allow you to have a Kingdom Quendar faction in the sovereign creator, it allows you to have an Undead Kingdom faction (which would seem rather contradictory). Strange, eh?

I think they're all interchangeable in the sovereign creator.

February 28, 2014 11:30:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nope, there are three factions that cannot be kingdom by default. Trog / Quendar / Umber

March 1, 2014 12:10:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wish that new races had the option to be Kingdom only or Empire only, even if the pre-made races were unable to be changed.  It seems a shame that new races don't seem to be able to choose the option for Kingdom only or Empire only.

March 13, 2014 4:49:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does anyone happen to know if UnitStat_ArmorPierce from something like a Spear, is applied for special attacks like Impale, Cleave etc?

I see that Impale does a "DefendableDamage" in a spell-like ability, just not sure if the UnitStat_ArmorPierce is applied in that situation?

March 15, 2014 1:13:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there anyway to make a champion so that it cannot equip items and cannot ride a mount?

March 15, 2014 9:27:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

March 15, 2014 2:39:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting UnleashedElf, reply 640
Is there anyway to make a champion so that it cannot equip items and cannot ride a mount?

<UnitModelType>DoesNotExist</UnitModelType>

You could however create your own model type and set up what items and equipment that the unit can use. See my female henchmen mod, or my militia mod for more details.

March 16, 2014 4:16:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok thanks guys - will check out the female henchmen mod.

March 18, 2014 3:52:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

March 25, 2014 9:17:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Primal - not sure about music, but I tried adding in new sounds and found I could only get it working from the core folder. 

I'd be interested to know how you go with trying to change music... let us know if you have any success.

March 25, 2014 9:18:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Guys am I missing something here.... i'm trying to give a trainable unit (not a champion) the ability to cause criticals, gave them an ability that has this.....

<GameModifier>
  <ModType>Unit</ModType>
  <Attribute>AdjustUnitStat</Attribute>
  <StrVal>UnitStat_ChanceToCrit</StrVal>
  <Value>100</Value>
  <Provides>+100 Critical Chance</Provides>
</GameModifier>

Shouldn't this make the unit cause a crit on pretty much every attack?  It doesn't seem to do anything.... I feel like i'm missing something obvious here.

March 25, 2014 11:38:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if the AI ever buys (and uses) the books of the Decalon?

Thanks.

March 25, 2014 1:18:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm inclined to doubt it. Making a way for the AI to decide which champions/sovereigns get to buy and use them may be more headache then they thought worth it.

March 25, 2014 1:54:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

March 26, 2014 8:29:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,
No champions? No criticals!

Criticals seems to be champions/monsters only.

Hmmm bugger, well that certainly seems to be the case from what I have found.  

Thanks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001922   Page Render Time: