Modding questions/help thread

By on June 1, 2013 9:05:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cohka

Join Date 07/2007

Figured we needed a thread for questions that didn't need to take up valuable room from talented mod'rs.

843 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 19, 2014 5:24:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, is there a list of all attributes for game modifiers somewhere?

February 19, 2014 5:28:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 19, 2014 5:45:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been doing more investigating. It looks like in the unit builder, you were right, unlimited traits could be made.

However, what is restricted are the champion traits. You cannot assign champion traits to units and expect them to be built, even if you modded them to be henchmen.

Edit:

Basically if it has the tag:

<AbilityBonusType>Unit_Level</AbilityBonusType>

You cannot build it in the unit designer, with the notable exceptions of the "path" abilities.

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Quoting UnleashedElf, reply 601
Actually, is there a list of all attributes for game modifiers somewhere?

No, but this might help you out (Post 1 + Replies 1, 2)

Which game modifier attribute gives the ability for your to give a a perk to a unit?

February 20, 2014 7:38:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For a trait to be in the unit designer it has to have two things.

Code: xml
  1. <AbilityBonusType>Unit_Design</AbilityBonusType>

and 

1. <AdditionalTrainingTurns>6</AdditionalTrainingTurns>

With these two lines of code added to a core ability it can be also used for unit design.  Just beware that this can be added to very powerful abilities as well so units can skip the trait tree chain and get higher level abilities for trained units if you wanted to create a cheat unit.

February 20, 2014 11:12:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,

For a trait to be in the unit designer it has to have two things.

<AbilityBonusType>Unit_Design</AbilityBonusType>
and 

<AdditionalTrainingTurns>6</AdditionalTrainingTurns>
With these two lines of code added to a core ability it can be also used for unit design.  Just beware that this can be added to very powerful abilities as well so units can skip the trait tree chain and get higher level abilities for trained units if you wanted to create a cheat unit.

Yeah I was thinking about a way to adjust the unit pricing too for that. Expensive unit = slow build times, expensive build costs and resources like crystal.

February 21, 2014 12:55:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Turns out there's a simpler way to get around the perks. Just use a game modifier in that unit:

<GameModifier>
                <ModType>Unit</ModType>
                <Attribute>UnlockUnitAbility</Attribute>
                <StrVal>Parry</StrVal>
            </GameModifier>

Then only that unit will get the perk.

Edit:

Odd sometimes this causes the game to hang.

February 21, 2014 1:37:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 21, 2014 2:32:33 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You can attach bonus options to the unit and not count it toward the ability bonus option count. Allowing one to use more perks than 4 and design such units without moving balance away. Think of it as a way to add special units to the mix that still get to choose ability bonus options. Although, I'd stick with the original method to to maintain balance (The one PrimalSavage) suggested.

February 21, 2014 3:43:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

Hum, wouldn't this be more simple or is it not working out for what you are trying to do?

<SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Parry</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>

Unfortunately, no it does not work. That causes the unit to disappear from the training screen because it contains the Unit Level trait not Unit Design.

Quoting parrottmath,

You can attach bonus options to the unit and not count it toward the ability bonus option count. Allowing one to use more perks than 4 and design such units without moving balance away. Think of it as a way to add special units to the mix that still get to choose ability bonus options. Although, I'd stick with the original method to to maintain balance (The one PrimalSavage) suggested.

Which tag is that?

February 21, 2014 3:51:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 21, 2014 4:55:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting UnleashedElf,
Which tag is that?

Its the tag you are using, with the game modifiers.

The game modifier tag works, but you can add the bonus directly from the game-modifier (instead of conferring the ability).

Just adjust the UnitStat_MaxCounterAttack to +1. You could also attach this to a particular piece of clothing and thus wearing a special armor that only this unit can wear giving you a +1 to attack. Or you could set the weapon they use to give more counter attacks. I think you can also set this in the level milestone area as well. (Have to check this, but I think that would work as well). Similar to how Heavenfall sets up his background stats for all the units.

February 21, 2014 5:18:25 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
Just duplicate the (Parry) ability?

That is the appropriate way to accomplish this, but is it a problem with the ability not showing up, or is it more of you want this particular unit design to have 5 or more traits?

February 22, 2014 7:10:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 22, 2014 7:52:42 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Dropbox will work, that's what I use. Posts mods and pics from one convenient location.

February 22, 2014 11:19:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 23, 2014 4:36:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I see... well looking at the help file you can enable it...

https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en

although you can just share the links (with the public) from any folder. So in their opinion the public folder was just a pointless exercise anyway. (Its under the help header of Creating a Public Folder)

To share images via dropbox (as all of my images do that), you click on insert image button on the edit screen here and copy the url into the right spot and you have shared the image pretty straight forward.

Cheers.

February 23, 2014 2:48:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 26, 2014 7:58:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Couple of random mod questions, pretty sure the answer is not possible on most/all counts but just putting it out there anyways....

Anyone know of a way to mod any of these values from ElementalDefs on a per faction basis:

<NonZOCContiguousCityUnrestPenalty>15</NonZOCContiguousCityUnrestPenalty>

<!-- ** city occupation unrest ** -->
<OccupationInitialUnrest>50.0</OccupationInitialUnrest>
<OccupationTurnsBeforeReduction>5</OccupationTurnsBeforeReduction>
<OccupationMinimumUnrest>0.0</OccupationMinimumUnrest>

<!-- ** unrest penalty per city in a empire ** -->
<CityCountUnrestPenalty>3</CityCountUnrestPenalty>

I know there is DisableCityCountUnrestPenalty for improvements (like Tower of Dominion) just wondering if there is anything related to these.

Also, is there any way to target a spell on an enemy champion?  Friendly champion, yes.... Enemy unit, yes.... but seems that EnemyChampion is not a valid target   Am I wrong?

Thanks.

February 26, 2014 8:08:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 26, 2014 8:12:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

EnemyUnit
Champion

No kidding didn't think of that, awesome thanks Primal   

February 26, 2014 9:19:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 27, 2014 9:10:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,
Look at: RandomEvent_AdventureProblem_3

Although I'm not sure if the change applies only to the questing faction (Probably) or to all factions.

Alternatively, look at Xtra_Game_ElementalDefs.xml

The event does apply to all, but maybe you can change that if you add a Yes/No answer along w/ these:

<AIAcceptChance>0</AIAcceptChance>
<AICanGoOnQuest>0</AICanGoOnQuest>

Thanks Primal checking those out.  I also picked up a few other ideas while going through various files from XtraDeconstruct 

February 27, 2014 9:12:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyone now if it's possible and/or how to make it so that when you create a new RaceType, it is only either Kingdom or Empire?

New races I have created always seem to be available as both.  I'd like to make some Empire only like Trogs.

Thanks.

February 27, 2014 1:49:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

February 27, 2014 6:04:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,
Anyone now if it's possible and/or how to make it so that when you create a new RaceType, it is only either Kingdom or Empire?

There is only Kingdom and Empire, and there is functionality that will only support that you are either one or the other. At this point I haven't found or discovered the ability to create an entirely different allegiance.

The important part for allegiance is whether you use death magic or life magic. It is entirely possible to have a kingdom faction use the empire building style. You just need to create some life shard tiles in the empire style, or kingdom style death shards. (See my tentstyle mod for more on how to do that).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: