Legendary Heroes worth it

By on May 23, 2013 2:54:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Saicafox

Join Date 11/2012

I have fallen enchantress....So I am on the fence if it is beneficial for me to purchase legendary heroes? Is it really all that different?

Locked Post 38 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 23, 2013 3:02:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, it is really all that different.

FE will gather dust after you purchase LH, so say your goodbyes now, maybe a nice farewell dinner is in order, or even a small gift.

May 23, 2013 3:11:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

could you explain a little to me how it is so different besides the bullets on the main web page?

May 23, 2013 3:22:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Saicafox,

could you explain a little to me how it is so different besides the bullets on the main web page?

http://forums.elementalgame.com/444571/page/2/#3361158

tldr version: lots of new content, lots of new mechanics, all new scenario, better balance, better AI, better UI, better graphics, better memory usage, more stable.  If you like FE you're probably going to really like LH.  Unless your favorite part of FE is fiddling with encumbrance or beating up on the AI.

May 23, 2013 4:40:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would say this is a controversial topic. 

While some of the changes are improvements, others feel like quickfixes that broke the overall balance of the game even more.

Starting combat two steps apart - not so good sometimes.

Hero skill trees are now predetermined, but some choices are clearly inferior (Potential), sometimes you must pick weak skills to get the good ones later, and the five specializations are imbalanced.

Encumberance was removed, but some items now make little sense (backpacks that make you faster?)

Some spells scale poorly, some not at all.

Combat changes (impalling through multiple armies, etc) are pretty wierd. 

Many weak aspects of the game (Tactical combat) were not properly addressed, according to some players.

Please understand that some players are extatic about LH, some not so much (me), so you must decide for yourself. It's not so clear "must have", as some people paint it here. 

May 23, 2013 6:14:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OP: All I can tell you is that I'm hooked on LH, whereas FE was OK but never really drew me in.

May 23, 2013 6:48:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kamamura is quickly taking on the mantle of our local troll. 

May 23, 2013 7:16:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sweatyboatman,

I think he brings up some valid points. I got the game for free as a WOM SE edition buyer, but the issues he highlighted are ones I'd still like to see addressed.

May 23, 2013 7:46:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He only has a couple of good points, and honestly those are minor issues in my opinion. LH is clearly the better game.

May 23, 2013 8:07:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it's improved on pretty much everything--although if you were strongly attached to piercing damage and encumbrance or faction prestige or having unrecruitable heroes permanently camped outside your cities you probably won't agree.

The new systems are far from perfect (the skill trees really could use some more balance work) but they generally work better than what was in the game before. ("choose one of these five traits that all are utterly useless to your build!")

May 23, 2013 8:20:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sweatyboatman,

What exactly makes his post a troll? he does have a right to his own opinion right?

May 23, 2013 8:45:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,
Combat changes (impalling through multiple armies, etc) are pretty wierd.

I actually like the mechanic.. its the fact that some units are single soldiers IE heros and others are groups IE trained armies that makes it weird.. the mechanic itself Is solid imo.

If every unit was a single soldier it would make far more sense.. but either way IMO it was the right direction to go to make different weapons have different tactical value.

May 23, 2013 9:21:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Beakie,

Quoting sweatyboatman, reply 6

What exactly makes his post a troll? he does have a right to his own opinion right?

It seems to me that Kamamura played an early beta of LH, decided he didn't like it, and hasn't played since.  Instead he hangs out on this board, looking for more things to add to his list of reasons to not like LH.  Which he will happily regurgitate whenever he gets the chance.

If I were going to rewrite Kamamura post to not be a troll post, it would look something like this.

They made a lot of changes to the game, many of which I do not like.  I was particularly fond of the encumbrance system and they took that out.  When that happened I basically stopped playing the game.  That was a while ago so I don't really know what the current version is like at all.  But I have read some griping on the forums in that time because I like to hang out here and say negative things to provoke a response.

Of course, you'll have to decide for yourself.

May 24, 2013 12:26:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sweatyboatman,

Quoting Beakie, reply 10

It seems to me that Kamamura played an early beta of LH, decided he didn't like it, and hasn't played since.  Instead he hangs out on this board, looking for more things to add to his list of reasons to not like LH.  Which he will happily regurgitate whenever he gets the chance.

If I were going to rewrite Kamamura post to not be a troll post, it would look something like this.

They made a lot of changes to the game, many of which I do not like.  I was particularly fond of the encumbrance system and they took that out.  When that happened I basically stopped playing the game.  That was a while ago so I don't really know what the current version is like at all.  But I have read some griping on the forums in that time because I like to hang out here and say negative things to provoke a response.

Of course, you'll have to decide for yourself.

You realize you just made up a whole bunch of assertions about his motives and beliefs...

Anyways, most of his points are valid, and still stand.

While LH is a better game imo, it does not answer the OP's question.

May 24, 2013 3:08:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BlackRainZ,

He only has a couple of good points, and honestly those are minor issues in my opinion. LH is clearly the better game.

I tend to agree with Kamamura_CZ. But I suppose that means I am wrong and have no criteria.

May 24, 2013 3:28:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sweatyboatman,

Those are legitimate complaints.  That said, nearly every complaint is patchable/moddable.

I do think we're going to see one more expansion, since Brad has hinted at it- but the minor frustrations with LH are motivation to me to learn some modding, I think a basegame mod could improve this game.

May 24, 2013 5:03:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

I have fallen enchantress....So I am on the fence if it is beneficial for me to purchase legendary heroes? Is it really all that different?

Beneficial? If you love fantasy TBS and would like to support a small company that caters to your needs, yes. But LH is not really all that different from FE.

If you loved the scenario and/or spent 50+ hours on Fallen Enchantress, I'd buy Legendary Heroes. Otherwise, it might not be worth it.

May 24, 2013 5:47:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sweatyboatman,

It is quite unfair to call me a troll, just because I resist the crowd mentality of local fanboism. I argued all my points clearly and logically. You, on the other hand, have started to resort to ad hominem attacks. Please stop it, not liking the game is legitimate, and presenting such opinion in well-argumented manner should be accepted. 

May 24, 2013 5:52:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,

It is quite unfair to call me a troll, just because I resist the crowd mentality of local fanboism. I argued all my points clearly and logically. You, on the other hand, have started to resort to ad hominem attacks. Please stop it, not liking the game is legitimate, and presenting such opinion in well-argumented manner should be accepted. 

Also, you are throwing around unfounded guesses about how much I do/don't play the game. I spent quite some time with the game recently, when it neared completion, and I tried hard to form a new, clear and if possible objective opinion. I started posting about the most glaring flaws first, but I will post complete review eventually (because I am still trying to get more complete experience especially from the endgame).

If you want more objective, and much more harsh reviews of this game, go over to rpgcodex.com. 

May 24, 2013 5:57:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, to clarify some of my replies - if there is a thread about the AI, and people ask "Does the AI cheat"? And people like you say "No, it does not cheat, absolutely not.", I feel the need to correct the statement, because it's a conscious misinformation (a.k.a. lie). The fact is the AI does not play according to the same rules as the player, which is the very definition of cheating.

Similar to other topics: "Is LH clearly better than FE?" your response: "Yes, go ahead, it's been only improved". That's not true, not everybody feels that way. New people asking questions deserve honest answers, as objective as possible. 

May 24, 2013 5:58:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,

Yes, dismissing well constructed reasons as "personal opinion" is not very constructive. I believe all opinions should be respected.

May 24, 2013 10:17:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To the OP: I think it's a much better game. More immersive (better graphics), better AI, I think the heroes mechanics work better, some of the additions (e.g. summoning, special abilities for weapons) make the tactical possibilities more interesting. Quests are better (you get more worthwhile items from doing them).

It's not perfect, but if you liked Fallen Enchantress I think you'll like Legendary Heroes a lot more. It's basically Fallen Enchantress, only more fun.

May 24, 2013 10:22:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How's magic now? Has it been weakened or strengthened?

I'm asking because magic and taming of the wildlands are my two most favorite aspects of FE. I'm pretty sure wildlands are still there, but what about magic? I've heard some disturbing info about it being nerfed and nerfed hard.

May 24, 2013 12:02:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think the magic books have taken a bit of a nerf due to some of the spells moving into the Mage tree.  My understanding is that the Mage tree itself is considered the best, so I don't think magic specifically has taken a nerf.  I feel like with LH (as opposed to FE), you're likely to specialize one or two mage-type champs with your other champions focused on tanking/weapon damage.

It's more like they've made the other styles of play viable alternatives to outright magic.

May 24, 2013 12:13:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a hard question to answer.  I don't know what $20 is to you.  I personally like a lot of the changes, I think that if I didn't get it free, I would easily spend money to have it.  But that's me.  

Also, I don't think that Kamakura was trolling, in fact, I think that was an excellent example of how to post complaints appropriately.  It wasn't filled with vitriol or entitlement.  I may not agree with all his points, but that doesn't mean he's trolling.

May 24, 2013 12:21:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, I have never played a better game. If you didn't like FE than you won't like this game. I don't like soccer. Or wine. Some people seem to love them though.

From Beta .92 until .95 I played one game with 20 players that lasted  35 hours over 10 days. I had 5 heroes that I had to outfit over that time both with gear and their own custom armies. I can't think of another game to compare these features to.

The world was scary and huge and I was overjoyed when I killed my first dragon! The loot for me was well earned.

And every game has a random map which provides tremendous replay...over the years!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time: