[eMOD] [LH 1.8] Necromancy Revamped v4.6 (Updated: 2015-02-05)

By on May 19, 2013 8:50:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dhuran

Join Date 06/2010
+10

This mod adds a faction ability and class path aimed at expanding your options for necromancy. It includes new spells, trainable undead units, and more necromancy themed items.

Reanimation Rituals enables trainable undead (skeletons, spectres and liches) that unlock with magic tech (much like Cult of 100 Eyes). Necromantic Compendium adds the Necromancer class path.

================================================================================================
Reanimation Ritual Ability:

** Trainable Skeletons and Zombies: You can also edit them to make custom undead units

** Trainable Spectres: Unlocks with Sorcery tech

** Trainable Lich: Unlocks with Third Book of the Magi tech

Necromantic Compendium Ability:

* In order to access this path, you must 'scroll' over to it with the mouse wheel in the path selection screen.

* Play and find out!

Necromantic Relics:

Ebony Key: +1 Reanimated creature level. Available in store after Enchantment tech is researched.

Saltes Urn: Grants ability to raise a skeleton. Available in store and for unit design after Rituals tech is researched.

Canopic Jars: Smash one of these jars and you will be transported randomly within a 3 tile radius, leaving a skeleton in your wake. Available in store and for unit design after Arcane Mastery tech is researched.

Vitae Lacuna: Powerful necromancy themed staff that is only found as a rare loot drop. Does cold damage, adds +2 to reanimated creature levels and grants the ability to use Wall of Bone.

+ More!

================================================================================================
IF YOU ARE UPGRADING: Uninstall the older version.

NOTE:

Legendary Heroes does NOT transfer creature type into the files it generates for user designed units. What this means is that if you start a new game, and use an undead unit you designed in a previous game, it will show up as Race: Men in game. This will cause some of the spells in Necromantic Compendium to not recognize them and affect them as they should. I am providing an optional Python script (I wrote it in Python cause I could do it fast). You will need to install Python 2.7 to run it, but Python is free and easy to install. You run it from the folder you extracted this mod from (where the batch file lives) and it looks through all the creature XML's the game has made for your custom units, checks if they're undead. If they're undead, but don't have a creature type yet, the script gives them the undead creature type so they will work in all future games (it also backs up the original). You will need to run it after you finish a game where you created any new undead custom units. The script is optional. You can just go into the XMl file yourself and add <CreatureType>Undead</CreatureType> almost anywhere in the creature definition if you want to.

Credits:
Heavenfall: Helping with Children of Storm compatibility (Thanks!)

jutetrea(SD Forums): Valuable balance feedback (Thanks!)

GFireflyE(SD Forums): Valuable balance feedback (Thanks!)

Primal_Savage(SD Forums): XML bug/error spotting, custom icons (Thanks!)

webusver(SD Forums): Making a whole set of custom icons (Thanks!)

Sir_Toejam (Nexus Site): Useful feedback and suggestions (Thanks!)

DOWNLOADS:  

Whole mod plus the faction:

Necromancy Revamped (4.6)

Optional:

DLC04 (Undead Faction) Compatibility

Custom Undead Unit Fixer Python Script (optional):

View as text on the website if you want to review the contents: http://www.mediafire.com/view/rpnia7nv8jnpn3o/creature_fix.py

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3fju6tu2pdlfru/creature_fix.py

Get Python (2.7.x) here: http://www.python.org/

Standalone executable version of Undead Unit Fixer Script (optional):

This is identical to the Python script version except you don't need to install Python since it bundles all the .dlls needed

to run it within the 'build' and 'dist' folders. Just unzip it in the same way you unzip any other component of this mod and

run creature_fix.exe from the same location that you would run the Python script from.

Custom Undead Unit Fixer Standalone

It's also been uploaded onto the Nexus site

Nexus Link

Locked Post 175 Replies +2 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Primal_Savage
webusver
May 19, 2013 8:57:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

V4.6

- Fixed contradictory champion tags in Rinna, Ksav, and Lyrin

- Updated likelihood values in items to be consistant with vanilla scheme

- Updated file structure to enhance compatibility with XtraDeconstruct Mod

- Added new and improved icons for Disembodied Spirit and Spectre (Thanks Primal_Savage!)

- Corpus Neophyte now gives +10 hitpoints (no longer gives +1 tactical health regen)

- Corpus Acolyte now gives +1 tactical health regen (no longer gives +10 hitpoints)

- Corpus Agility is now Corpus Magus, and gives +1 tactical health regen as well as +2 initiative

- Cursed Flesh now gives +1 tactical health regen (on top of other bonuses)

- Removed Reanimation Theory

- Removed +1 level to reanimates bonus from Gravelord Path

- Added +1 leve to reanimates bonus to Basic Reanimation skill

- Fixed some broken pre-requisites (not sure how it went this long without being noticed!)

V4.5

- Canopic Jars now bring forth a Zombie from the earth instead of a skeleton (just cause it's more thematic)

- Made Liches customizable (mostly for mounts, and now you can pick which spells they have)

- Updated the DLC04 Compatibility Patch to allow Liches to use the mounts that it adds

- Reduced Liches training time by 75 (from 500 to 425)

- Each Lichdom spell adds 25 back to the training turns

- Added leveled increases to liches for: Spell Resistance, Spell Power, Spell Damage Multiplier

- Added Blind Seeress Rinna (level 4 champion)

- Added Skin-Stitcher Ksav (level 6 champion)

- Added Lyrin the Defiler (level 8 champion)

- Vitae Lacuna is now Gravelord only

- Vitae Lacuna attack power increased slightly

- Increased Vitae Lacuna reanimation bonus to +4

- Ebony Key is now Gravelord only

- Increased Ebony key reanimation bonus to +2

- Dissolved Necromantic Relics into the shared stuff (so I can use it with whatever I want)

- Added Lich's Phylactery item

- Added Adept Necromancy

- Added Create Wight spell (unlocked with Adept Necromancy)

- Added Ritual of Completion spell

- Added Ritual of Completion trait

- Added Cursed Flesh trait

V4.4

- Removed 5% chance of random action from Spirit Neophyte ability

- Updated text of Spirit Neophyte to reflect what it actually does (whoops)

- Removed FavianMana ability (outdated concept that I accidentally left in and was
showing up in the faction editor as Mana!)

- Added "Staff of Hellfire"

- Replaced Lich's default "Staff of the Furnace" with "Staff of Hellfire" so the Lich will now
spawn in the rear ranks during fights (this is only for Liches that are trained through Reanimation
Rituals, vanilla Liches will still have "Staff of the Furnace")

- Made Greater Reanimation also unlock Horrific Wail (like the equivalent necromancy branch trait in the
mage tree)

- It's all in one download now. You can still uninstall specific components with the uninstaller if you want.

V4.3

- New icon set for all abilities and path! (NC, RR)
**Big thanks to webusver (from the FELH forums) for putting them together!**

- Renamed Path from Necromancer to Gravelord (since Necromancer doesn't fit. . .) (NC)

- Added more creatures to the spawn lists for Raise Necropolis to make it more threatening (NC)

- Fixed mismatched tags in CoS compatibility unitstats for some units (NC) (thanks Primal_Savage!)

- Fixed missing gamemodifier closing tag in wall of bone ability for Vitae Lacuna (NR) (thanks Primal_Savage, again!)

- Added Iniquitous Bargain combat skill (NC)

- Spirit Neophyte now unlocks Iniquitous Bargain instead of giving +2 tactical Mana regeneration (NC)

V4.2

- Removed Crushing Blow bonus from Baleful Reflex (whoops) (NC)

- Changed Baleful Reflex to be resistable, defense only applies on succesful resist (they can always attempt to dodge (NC)

- Added Death Shroud spell/trait (NC)

- Added Zombies as trainable in Reanimation Rituals. Only slightly different than skeletons and trainable on the same tier. (RR)

- Added Raise Zombie spell (NC)

- Added Raise Zombie Horde spell (NC)

- Removed Raise Skeletal Phalanx (NC)

- Added Raise Undead Phalanx (NC)

- Added zombies to creature spawn list of Raised Necropolis (NC)

V4.1
(All changes to Necromantic Compendium)
- Reduced tactical mana reduction from 25% to 15% in Necromancer path trait
- Added reanimation bonus of +1 to Necromancer path trait
- Added Reanimation Technique trait
- Added Baleful Reflex Spell
- Added Baleful Reflex trait
- Updated trait icons for more variety
- Added Soul Ripper trait
- Added Sever Spirit spell (spell version of special ability)
- Added Spirit Font trait
- Added Corpus Agility trait
- Added Ancestral Mastery trait
- Added Dead Flesh trait
- Shifted some traits around, and fixed some small linkage bugs

V4.0
- Removed Necromantic Compendium Faction Ability
- Added Necromancer class path
- Added Reanimation Theory trait
- Added Spirit Neophyte trait
- Added Spirit Acolyte trait
- Added Spirit Sage trait
- Added Profane Ritual trait
- Added Awaken trait
- Added Soulstorm trait
- Added Corpus Neophyte trait
- Added Corpus Acolyte trait
- Added Corpus Wizard trait
- Added Sanguine Curse trait
- Added Explosive Deanimation trait
- Added Vigor of the Dead trait
- Added Basic Reanimation trait
- Added Greater Reanimation trait
- Added Master Reanimation trait
- Added Ascendant Reanimation trait
- Added Forbidden Knowledge trait
- Added Sanguine Curse spell
- Added Soulstorm spell

Version 3.2

- Increased minimum level for skeletons summoned with Canopic Jars and Saltes Urn (no more level 0 skeletons) (NR) 

- Reduced casting time for Vigor of the Dead (NC) 

- Added Raise Skeletal Phalanx spell (NC) 

- Added Awaken spell (NC) 

- Removed Harbinger Plague spell (NC) 

- Added The Mantle of Death quest (NC) 

- Mantle of Death Ritual now requires completion of quest (NC) 

- Changed the creature_fix.py script slightly to make it more consistant (I had started writting it with object with the DirectoryObject class but ended up writting the rest of it procedurally, all I did was get rid of the object so it was all procedural. This will have no functional change, it was just for my own sanity). 

- Fixed in-game description of Necromantic Compendium (apparently I hadn't updated it in awhile...) 

- Fixed in-game description of Reanimation Rituals (same as above) 

- Added 10 Refined Crystal to Spectre training cost (RR) 

- Added 15 Refined Crystal to Lich training cost (RR)

Version 3.0a

- Fixed Vitae Lacuna staff being unlocked by Charms tech (oops) 

- Flattened file structure to increase flexability (mostly just for my own benefit) 

- Split up into separate mod components (Necromantic Compendium, Reanimation Rituals, Necromantic Relics) 

- Updated Uninstaller to support the previous change

Version 3.0

- Removed Wall of Bone spell (NC)

- Added Vigor of the Dead spell (NC)

- Added Ebony Key accessory that Empires can unlock with Enchantment tech in the store

- Added Vitae Lacuna Staff as a Rare loot drop (will function for Kingdom or Empire)

- Added Wall of Bone ability as part of Vitae Lacuna

- Reduced casting cost of Mantle of Death from 600 to 500 mana (NC)

- Reduced casting cost of Profane Ritual from 300 to 250 mana (NC)

- Increased casting cost of Explosive Deanimation from 20 to 60 (NC)

- Added Saltes Urn accessory for unit design/store. Empires can unlock with Rituals tech

- Added Canopic Jars accessory for unit design/store. Empires can unlock with Arcane Mastery tech

- Changed custom faction color to make things easier to see

- Merging everything into one Necromancy Revamped 'package' (custom faction will still be optional to download)

- Making a Python script available that will fix custom designed undead units from your past games so they don't show up as 'Men' in new games

- Improved the uninstaller batch file to let you choose to just uninstall the faction if you want to

Version 2.2

- Changed Grave Chill ability of Spectre to be a 0 range 1 radius attack (RR) 
- Added Flight of Terror ability to Spectre (RR) 
- Changed semi-corporeal to be 50% physical damage resistance from 80% (RR) 
- Generally tweaked Spectre stats to make is slightly tougher (RR) 
- Removed autocast Mass Curse ability from Demilich ability (NC) 
- Added +1 mana per turn to Demilich ability (NC) 
- Added autocast Fear to Demilich ability (NC) 
- Various small balance changes (RR/NC) 

Version 2.1

- Fixed bug causing Raise Skeletal Horde to cost 2X mana to cast it (NC) 

- Added friendly fire to the radius of Explosive Deanimation (NC) 

- Changed Explosive Deanimation to deal 75% physical damage and 25% fire damage (NC) 

- Changed sound effect for Explosive Deanimation to be more appropriate (NC) 

- Changed the particle effect for Explosive Deanimation to be more appropriate (NC) 

- Improved (slightly) the description of Mantle of Death to highlight the downside (the rest is still 'play and find out') (NC) 

- Grave Chill ability is now a ranged attack (RR) 

- Grave Chill ability now can effect allies (RR) 

- Added a minimum level requirement of 8 to Master Necromancy trait (NC) 

- Added a minimum level requirement of 10 to Ascendant Necromancy trait (NC) 

- Changed prerequisite technology for training Lich from Black Quire to Third Book of the Magi (RR)

Version 2.0

- Removed Cemetery Golem (RR) 

- Removed Banshee (RR) 

- Added Spectre (RR) 

- Added Semicorporeal ability for Spectre (RR) 

- Added Grave Chill ability and effect for Spectre (RR) 

- Changed Harbinger Plague to be available with only Master Necromancy (not needing Necromantic Compendium) (NC) 

- Added Ascendent Necromancy trait (NC) 

- Changed Raise Necropolis to be available with only Ascendent Necromancy (not needing Necromantic Compendium) (NC) 

- Added Profane Ritual (Requires Master Necromancy and Necromantic Compendium) (NC) 

- Added Mantle of Death (Requires Ascendent Necromancy and Necromantic Compendium) (NC) 

- Added Demilich ability (cast Mantle of Death!)

Version 1.8.5

Decreased skeleton construction cost (RR) 

Decreased skeleton mana cost (RR) 

Brought liches level milestones in from the monster version to bring them inline (RR) 

Brought banshee's level milestones in from monster version to bring them inline (RR) 

Brought skeleton's level milestones in from monster version to bring them inline (RR) 

Added cold melee attack to banshee (from monster version) (RR) 

Increased banshee's movement from 2 to 4 (from monster) (RR) 

Added Cemetery Golem to Immortal Codex Tech (RR) 

Implemented compatibility for Children of Storm Mod (thanks Heavenfall) (RR + Faction)

Version 1.8

Added Necromantic Compendium ability

Added Nihil Magic spell

Added Raise Necropolis Spell

Added Harbinger Plague spell

Added Master Necromancy skill

Added custom tile for Raise Necropolis spell

Added Wall of Bone spell

Updated file structures of everything to play nicely with each other in a modular fashion

Added Explosive Deanimation spell

V1.2

New ability added: Undead Immunities (Critical Hit Immunity plus Poison Immunity)

New ability added: Lich Attributes (Critical Hit Immunity, plus Poison Immunity, plus Tough)

On trainable Skeletons and trainable Banshee: Replaced Critical Hit Immunity and Poison Immunity with Undead Immunities

On trainable Lich: Replaced Critical Hit Immunity and Poison Immunity with Lich Attributes (Tough could not be fit in from base Lich before)

V1.1

-Reworked file structure to run from the .\Mods folder so that it can be activated/deactivated using the "Use Mods" option in the game

-Modified the batch file to accommodate this the above change

V1.0

-Added "Reanimation Rituals" ability

-Added trainable version of skeleton

-Added trainable version of banshee

-Added trainable version of lich

-Linked ability to custom faction

May 27, 2013 10:55:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Significant updates to this mod! Instead of opening a new thread, I'm just keeping it all in this one. If you want to look at the more detailed README without downloading it, I think you can look at it on the Nexus site without downloading it even if you aren't signed up.

June 2, 2013 11:40:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This sounds interesting, but in midst of another game.  May pull it in when I do 1.1 update.

If I can train banshees - isn't that essentially an i win ability at that point?  1 banshee, over time, will be able to handle 75% of the battles solo.   Are there any other considerations?  I don't think the AI will be able to handle a physically immune unit.

How's it play out in your test games?

June 2, 2013 3:09:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the games that I've played, the Banshee is very survivable. But her attack is kind of weak since her only offensive option is that horrific wail spell (only 2 damage per level to every enemy, with a 2 turn casting time). I suppose you could solo stuff with a single Banshee, but it would take a long, long time. Of course there's always the auto-combat, which I haven't tried with that unit.

If it feels too powerful too anyone, I could always make a modified 'Ghost' ability that's not 100% physical block (make it 75% or something). Or move her around on the tech tree.

Thanks for the feedback, and I hope you enjoy it if you try it! I'm always looking for thoughts on balance and I'm more than willing to move stuff around.

June 2, 2013 4:39:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Totally plan on checking out this mod after I'm done with my current game.

Am wondering...is necromancy only available for Empires? Stuff like the banshee...can you get the summon from sorcery tech if you are a Kingdom?

Also, do other empire factions gain access to the added necro spells and abilities just for being empires? Or is this addition very specific to having the necro attribute??

Thanks

June 2, 2013 5:25:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GFireflyE:

--Reanimation Rituals should work for Empire or Kingdom. The only requirements for those trainable units are the Tech tree unlocks and the Reanimation Rituals faction ability. So no faction (regardless of allegiance) will be able to train those units unless you give them the ability (by creating it in the editor, or injecting it into their xml yourself).

All you have to do to inject it into the xml yourself is add 

<SelAbilityBonusOption>ReanimationRituals</SelAbilityBonusOption>

into the desired factions RaceConfig block. I would recommend replacing an existing (1 cost) ability with it to help maintain game balance.

--Necromantic Compendium, on the other hand WILL NOT work with Kingdom factions. You will be able to create custom Kingdom factions with it (only because there is no way to restrict or put conditions on faction ability selection for the editor...). But since the spells it adds are unlocked by the Necromancy trait line (which Kingdom factions do not get) they will only get the Nihil Magic spell (since that's unlocked by the Mage path). So technically it works, but it just isn't worth it!

I should, at some point, add Life magic branch spells to it using their analog for the necromancy tree to unlock anti-necromancy themed spells for Kingdoms. I just have to look over their tree and come up with some ideas (I literally never play as Kingdom factions, myself). That way having the Necromantic compendium would allow Empire factions to cast better necromancy, and Kingdom factions to better counter necromancy.

If you end up trying it out, I hope you enjoy it!

June 2, 2013 5:57:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dhuran,

I should, at some point, add Life magic branch spells to it using their analog for the necromancy tree to unlock anti-necromancy themed spells for Kingdoms. I just have to look over their tree and come up with some ideas (I literally never play as Kingdom factions, myself). That way having the Necromantic compendium would allow Empire factions to cast better necromancy, and Kingdom factions to better counter necromancy.

This is a VERY interesting idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Some ideas...mostly coming from D&D perspective:

Perhaps some kind of Paladin/Cleric path whereas Kingdoms have access to building units that can banish units of undead type?
Perhaps an Avatar that can be summoned that does splash damage with firey sword?
Perhaps a strategic 'planar cleansing' spell focused against undead?
Maybe a 'good' unit that is invulnerable to non-magical weapons to balance out the banshee? (this could also be a monster)

Anyways, really looking forward to what you come up with. Will be watching this thread closely.

June 2, 2013 8:22:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As a side tangent (still haven't finished my game) - someone had an angel race at one point - stormwind?  And someone else had a big buff for life magic which had some anti-necro spells.  Both for FE I think, not sure if heavenfall's CoS covers angels.  Just something to consider.

I am looking forward to checking it out, and I do think 100% physical resistance would be an iWin.  Curious to check it.   Lightbringer has 50% resistance I think with 16 armor.  Good for run of the mill stuff, but big mobs still eat it.   Maybe 90% with 0 defense, moderate attack and wail.  Will be fun to play with it.

June 3, 2013 10:02:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jutetrea,

As a side tangent (still haven't finished my game) - someone had an angel race at one point - stormwind?  And someone else had a big buff for life magic which had some anti-necro spells.  Both for FE I think, not sure if heavenfall's CoS covers angels.  Just something to consider.

I am looking forward to checking it out, and I do think 100% physical resistance would be an iWin.  Curious to check it.   Lightbringer has 50% resistance I think with 16 armor.  Good for run of the mill stuff, but big mobs still eat it.   Maybe 90% with 0 defense, moderate attack and wail.  Will be fun to play with it.

I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised though. This isn't really meant to be a race addition mod though, just an expansion on necromancy as a concept by adding themed abilities and spells that any faction can use. I can see justifying myself in making anti-necromancy stuff to fill in for Kingdom factions where there are Empire only prerequisites.

As far as the Banshee, I'm open to suggestions on that, but I want to test it out a little bit more myself, and maybe hear form some others who have used it. It's important to me since this is not supposed to be a cheat mod. Lately I've been busy beating my head against their xml trying to get a new spell to work. I'm starting to think that their hard coded systems are going to win this time though...

June 3, 2013 11:46:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dhuran,
As far as the Banshee, I'm open to suggestions on that, but I want to test it out a little bit more myself, and maybe hear form some others who have used it. It's important to me since this is not supposed to be a cheat mod. Lately I've been busy beating my head against their xml trying to get a new spell to work. I'm starting to think that their hard coded systems are going to win this time though...

What spell. I've beat my head against the wall plenty and found a work around in most cases. Just have to give on some aspects of the spell sometimes.

June 3, 2013 11:59:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Quoting Dhuran, reply 9As far as the Banshee, I'm open to suggestions on that, but I want to test it out a little bit more myself, and maybe hear form some others who have used it. It's important to me since this is not supposed to be a cheat mod. Lately I've been busy beating my head against their xml trying to get a new spell to work. I'm starting to think that their hard coded systems are going to win this time though...

What spell. I've beat my head against the wall plenty and found a work around in most cases. Just have to give on some aspects of the spell sometimes.

The spell I was talking about in the other thread where the summons auto-die because the summoner was dying. There are already some crazy workarounds in it just for getting something to happen when the unit dies. I was thinking of modifying the Explosive Deanimation spell to trigger on the units death (instead of being a manual trigger) since that was the original concept, but I didn't know how to do it at the time.

But the one I'm having trouble with, the original concept was to have city defenders 'get reanimated' as skeletons when they died defending the city (melee militia with melee weapons, and archers with bows), by summoning the right skeleton when they die. Due to the limited scope of the flags they have it's been paired down to every friendly unit in that battle summons a skeleton(s) when they die from a melee attack. Unfortunately since they summon it when they die, it dies immediately... I tried hooking deathward up in various ways through abilities. I can't think of a way to target the summon with it in the same spell since it technically doesn't exist yet. Unless I can make it persist on the tile where the unit dies for one turn... (I might try that when I get back in there).

June 4, 2013 12:54:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trying the mod out, wraith, summoner.

So far so good.  Random thoughts:

Not sure what good the skeletons are except for flavor - most base units you can customize will at least have their racial. 

Banshees are interesting.  0 attack (thought they were 9 attack like the NPC ones).  Means the only damage is death wail - 2 damage/level.  I'm still early, but I can churn out a banshee every 5 turns and I've got 3 working.   They start off pretty weak, but with picked battles they're now level 5 (bit tough to level) and doing 10 damage every other turn to all. 

Might try to get 8 banshees and a hero, see how tough that is.  They're nice in terms of physical damage - but any non-physical eats em up.   Plus... move of 2.  OUCH.   DOUBLE OUCH.    Hurts to use them, although I really want to

Battles are slow      Interesting though.  I'll usually have my sov cast skele horde and cull the weak on them as the banshees wail away.  Long boring fights, but obviously they'll speed up if i can get the banshees leveled a bit. 

Lich seems WAY too far up the tree, although not sure how powerful he is.  I can't remember a game I've gotten to the end of the magic tree.

The explosion = nice    I like how it gives all the undead the tactical ability rather than needing to cast it on one or all.  

Haven't tried most of the others yet - curious what the necropolis one does.   I just turned level 8 and got it - not sure if that's too early in the tree.  I essentially took mage, the 2 +xp traits, +1 summon, skele, skele horde, master necro

June 4, 2013 1:05:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dhuran,
Unfortunately since they summon it when they die, it dies immediately... I tried hooking deathward up in various ways through abilities. I can't think of a way to target the summon with it in the same spell since it technically doesn't exist yet. Unless I can make it persist on the tile where the unit dies for one turn... (I might try that when I get back in there).

When I suggested using deathward, I wasn't talking about hooking it up with the summons... only on the unit that is casting the summons. Not sure if it would work, but I did succeed in getting my sovereign to DIE and summon a bear in his place. AKA druid shape shift. Problem is the XP at the end of battle... well there was none for the sovereign. Not a very fun hero trait, but there you go.

Since these are city defender units, I don't know what the effect would be...

June 4, 2013 2:46:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

When I suggested using deathward, I wasn't talking about hooking it up with the summons... only on the unit that is casting the summons. Not sure if it would work, but I did succeed in getting my sovereign to DIE and summon a bear in his place. AKA druid shape shift. Problem is the XP at the end of battle... well there was none for the sovereign. Not a very fun hero trait, but there you go.

Since these are city defender units, I don't know what the effect would be...

That's good to know! I completely misunderstood you then. It seems odd that deathward on the caster would save the summon, but I'm willing to give anything a try at this point! Thanks for the tip, and I'll let you know what comes up.

Quoting jutetrea,

Trying the mod out, wraith, summoner.

So far so good.  Random thoughts:

Not sure what good the skeletons are except for flavor - most base units you can customize will at least have their racial. 

Banshees are interesting.  0 attack (thought they were 9 attack like the NPC ones).  Means the only damage is death wail - 2 damage/level.  I'm still early, but I can churn out a banshee every 5 turns and I've got 3 working.   They start off pretty weak, but with picked battles they're now level 5 (bit tough to level) and doing 10 damage every other turn to all. 

Might try to get 8 banshees and a hero, see how tough that is.  They're nice in terms of physical damage - but any non-physical eats em up.   Plus... move of 2.  OUCH.   DOUBLE OUCH.    Hurts to use them, although I really want to

Battles are slow      Interesting though.  I'll usually have my sov cast skele horde and cull the weak on them as the banshees wail away.  Long boring fights, but obviously they'll speed up if i can get the banshees leveled a bit. 

Lich seems WAY too far up the tree, although not sure how powerful he is.  I can't remember a game I've gotten to the end of the magic tree.

The explosion = nice    I like how it gives all the undead the tactical ability rather than needing to cast it on one or all.  

Haven't tried most of the others yet - curious what the necropolis one does.   I just turned level 8 and got it - not sure if that's too early in the tree.  I essentially took mage, the 2 +xp traits, +1 summon, skele, skele horde, master necro

I was kind of envisioning skeletons as a necromancy equivalent to slaves. A cheap unit that costs magic. A little tricky to balance since they have some built in positive abilities, so any feedback on them is welcome. If they feel too slow to train to make them worth it, I can decrease the training and/or mana cost for them.

I was kind of viewing Banshees as an artillery unit. They are squishy against non-physical attacks. I'll have to look in there as to why their attack doesn't mirror the baseline unit's. It should be the same so I'll go in there and fix it.

Literally the only reason the Lich is where it is on the tree is I used Cult of a Hundred Eyes as a guide. The Lich has some pretty nice spells... But I think the week I made that they patched the beta to move the Black Quire tech back further than is was when I was hooking everything up.

Either way, my thought was that the undead units act to supplement your regular units rather than entirely replace them. Not sure if I've entirely achieved that yet!

Glad you like the explosion! It was a pain to get working right... I'm thinking of changing it slightly to have them explode when they die instead of it being trigger-able. Also, there's a 'Friendly Fire' flag in there that I've been going back and forth with...

Even if you get the master necromancy spells early on, the hope is that the mana costs help balance them. Let me know what you think when you use them!

Thanks for all the helpful feedback, and I'm glad you like it so far!

June 4, 2013 7:53:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its def fun.  I was going to attempt just to use the undead units exclusively when my initial 2 units died - but we'll see.   IMO that could be handled by one more mid tier unit, probably around sorcery, for a heavier unit.  Maybe just a larger skeleton with larger 'bones' - i.e more stats (hp, passive defense, etc) and maybe +1 move.

I didn't notice, what blood type do the units use - any?  Is it possible to have them assume the blood type of your faction?  I.e if I'm mancer the skeletons would gain the increased movement.

June 4, 2013 9:21:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jutetrea,

Its def fun.  I was going to attempt just to use the undead units exclusively when my initial 2 units died - but we'll see.   IMO that could be handled by one more mid tier unit, probably around sorcery, for a heavier unit.  Maybe just a larger skeleton with larger 'bones' - i.e more stats (hp, passive defense, etc) and maybe +1 move.

I didn't notice, what blood type do the units use - any?  Is it possible to have them assume the blood type of your faction?  I.e if I'm mancer the skeletons would gain the increased movement.

Someone on the Nexus site suggested I add butchermen. It didn't really seem 'lore friendly' that someone would be able to create them since they were spawned during a specific event. There could always be some sort of 'undead' golem based off of the grave elemental or something.

The undead don't have any blood type bonus. I think it would be safe to assume that they've been severed from their lineage. It might be possible to have them assume the blood of your faction, but it would definitely not be straightforward. Each unit has its blood type called out explicitly (ie. it's defined in the specific units, not as a part of the race config). I could make a separate type of each unit for each race so they have the right blood bonus... But they have no blood anyways!

June 4, 2013 12:34:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good points.   Hmm.  

Death Knight

Undead specific blood type assumed in the stats? 

Played another hour this morning, made myself late for work     2 movement is brutal.  At least on the skeletons I can get them mounted combat.   I think Banshees should have 3 movement due to 'flying'. 

FYI banshee vs banshee - NPC banshee wins    At least against lower level.  Also made me realize the NPC banshee has a +9 cold attack - which my banshee was not protected against.  Good learning experience/reload.

For some reason, the AI will focus on the banshees - which is awesome.  Prob since they're so low HP. 

I'm usually not an undead fan - but this has been fun.   Plus I like how it is very modular in nature.

June 4, 2013 11:07:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jutetrea,

Good points.   Hmm.  

Death Knight

Undead specific blood type assumed in the stats? 

Played another hour this morning, made myself late for work     2 movement is brutal.  At least on the skeletons I can get them mounted combat.   I think Banshees should have 3 movement due to 'flying'. 

FYI banshee vs banshee - NPC banshee wins    At least against lower level.  Also made me realize the NPC banshee has a +9 cold attack - which my banshee was not protected against.  Good learning experience/reload.

For some reason, the AI will focus on the banshees - which is awesome.  Prob since they're so low HP. 

I'm usually not an undead fan - but this has been fun.   Plus I like how it is very modular in nature.

Thanks for pointing that stuff out jutetrea! I've found what I did wrong in the units (especially the Banshee), and I've fixed it for the next release. So the Banshee will have the right movement and cold attack.

June 5, 2013 10:00:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great Mod...is this compatible with the Children of Storm mod?

June 5, 2013 12:58:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Auggie12,

Great Mod...is this compatible with the Children of Storm mod?

I haven't tested compatibility with any other mods (I just don't have the time). This doesn't change any core/install files, so I don't think there would be any conflicts since I've been careful with my naming schemes. The only possible conflict is between Necromantic Compendium and any mods that modify the necromancy region of the skills in the Mage Path (one of the reasons I made it modular). Does that answer your question?

June 5, 2013 1:25:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just need a final step for compatability with CoS, if you want to add it.

For your sovereign Neikvaed, add these

<UnitStat_BG_IsSovereign>1</UnitStat_BG_IsSovereign>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsChampion>1</UnitStat_BG_IsChampion>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsHumanoid>1</UnitStat_BG_IsHumanoid>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Wraiths>1</UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Wraiths>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsEmpire>1</UnitStat_BG_IsEmpire>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsMale>1</UnitStat_BG_IsMale>

inside his <LevelMilestone> like the other unitstats. And then

<LevelMilestone InternalName="L1">
      <Level>1</Level>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Undead>1</UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Undead>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsImmortal>1</UnitStat_BG_IsImmortal>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsUndead>1</UnitStat_BG_IsUndead>
      <UnitStat_ImmuneToFear>1</UnitStat_ImmuneToFear>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsNotAlive>1</UnitStat_BG_IsNotAlive>
    </LevelMilestone>

to your unittypes in RR_Units.xml. And also

<UnitStat_BG_IsFlying>1</UnitStat_BG_IsFlying>

to RR_Banshee inside her levelmilestone.

June 5, 2013 1:43:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Just need a final step for compatability with CoS, if you want to add it.

For your sovereign Neikvaed, add these

<UnitStat_BG_IsSovereign>1</UnitStat_BG_IsSovereign>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsChampion>1</UnitStat_BG_IsChampion>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Wraiths>1</UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Wraiths>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsMale>1</UnitStat_BG_IsMale>

inside his <LevelMilestone> like the other unitstats. And then

<LevelMilestone InternalName="L1">
      <Level>1</Level>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Undead>1</UnitStat_BG_IsRace_Undead>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsImmortal>1</UnitStat_BG_IsImmortal>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsUndead>1</UnitStat_BG_IsUndead>
      <UnitStat_ImmuneToFear>1</UnitStat_ImmuneToFear>
      <UnitStat_BG_IsNotAlive>1</UnitStat_BG_IsNotAlive>
    </LevelMilestone>

to your unittypes in RR_Units.xml. And also

<UnitStat_BG_IsFlying>1</UnitStat_BG_IsFlying>

to RR_Banshee inside her levelmilestone.

Of course I'll add it. Seems like low hanging fruit.

As it stands now, it will not conflict. Next update will include compatibility support for CoS (thanks Heavenfall!).

June 6, 2013 12:37:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Extremely eager to try this.  I love liches, they're my favorite fantasy monsters, and the primary villain of my very first story driven game was a lich.  I would like nothing more than to be able to lead an army of the Undead, led by Lich generals and champions.  That is why I would very much like to request that trainable Liches be capable of leveling up with classes and skills, like Minions or Sions, please!

June 6, 2013 1:56:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SerrisHawk,

Extremely eager to try this.  I love liches, they're my favorite fantasy monsters, and the primary villain of my very first story driven game was a lich.  I would like nothing more than to be able to lead an army of the Undead, led by Lich generals and champions.  That is why I would very much like to request that trainable Liches be capable of leveling up with classes and skills, like Minions or Sions, please!

There already is a Lich champion in the vanilla game! I probably will not make the trainable Liches like minions or sions for a few reasons. Mainly they're pretty much supposed to be spell casters, so taking other paths wouldn't make as much sense. The rest are balance issues that I just don't want to tackle.

I am trying to figure out a way to make the sovereign take on the mantle of Demilich. I'm still just in the planning stages of that right now, so you'll just have to wait and see.

All of the sovereigns already have one of the signature perks of being a Lich. That is, reconstituting elsewhere (where the phylactery is, which isn't a concept in this game) when you die. One of my earlier ideas was to give a bonus by lowering the cool down timer and require less of a mana hit when you would reconstitute in a city after dying if you were a Lich. Unfortunately it's a global parameter, so when I implemented it for one sovereign, it applies to all of them no matter what.

Whenever I use to play D&D, my characters would pursue Lichdom. So I understand your enthusiasm!

June 6, 2013 9:31:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What do you think you're ETA is for next release?

Regarding banshee stats - is it a matter of adding level 1 values? such as:

Code: xml
  1. <ProductionRequirement>
  2.             <Type>Resource</Type>
  3.             <Attribute>Mana</Attribute>
  4.             <Value>60</Value>
  5.         </ProductionRequirement>
  6.         <AllowGrouping>0</AllowGrouping>
  7.         <HasWages>0</HasWages>
  8.        <MovementType>Air</MovementType>
  9.         <LevelMilestone InternalName="L1">
  10.             <Level>1</Level>
  11.             <UnitStat_Accuracy>75</UnitStat_Accuracy>
  12.             <UnitStat_Attack_Pierce>0</UnitStat_Attack_Pierce>
  13.             <UnitStat_Attack_Cold>9</UnitStat_Attack_Cold>
  14.             <UnitStat_ChanceToCrit>1</UnitStat_ChanceToCrit>
  15.             <UnitStat_CombatSpeed>16</UnitStat_CombatSpeed>
  16.             <UnitStat_HitPoints>10</UnitStat_HitPoints>
  17.             <UnitStat_Moves>4</UnitStat_Moves>
  18.     </LevelMilestone>
  19.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>UndeadImmunities</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
  20.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Flying</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
  21.         <SelectedAbilityBonusOption>Spell_HorrificWail</SelectedAbilityBonusOption>
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: