The most disappointing book you ever read, after high recommendations.

By on May 16, 2013 7:09:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glazunov1

Join Date 08/2010
+26

So, not just any book that you found tedious or poorly-written, but a book that came with great praise from people you respect. Just the worst of these, if you please.

Locked Post 48 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 17, 2013 3:50:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

Oh shut up you idiot! I also believe The Bible is the biggest piece of crap ever written. 

How dare you accuse the most respected member of this website of trolling??!! Now go pray to a deity or something..........

I fear I've stepped into the dark ages,

please excuse me...

May 17, 2013 3:56:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

Quoting cardinaldirection, reply 22Do you actually get paid to troll?

Oh shut up you idiot! I also believe The Bible is the biggest piece of crap ever written. 

How dare you accuse the most respected member of this website of trolling??!! Now go pray to a deity or something..........

Voicing an opinion on why you don't like something is one thing, but this is unacceptable. There was no reason to resort to such language and insult the guy like that (although he shouldn't have called Jafo a troll and I am certainly not condoning any rude behavior) and I also take offense to your words about the Bible. If you don't like it, fine, but there is no reason to be disrespectful. There are a lot of people who are very sensitive to that subject and there is no need to antagonize. Some people believe the Bible to be a very big part of their identity and I don't see how you can't have a little bit of respect for that. It is extremely insulting.

As far as a book that came with praise that I didn't like, pretty much any of the popular books that aren't fantasy and scifi.

May 17, 2013 4:01:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kku,

Quoting cardinaldirection, reply 6

Quoting Jafo, reply 4
JUST A BOOK.

The sheer magnitude of the impact that the bible has had on our entire species renders this statement nothing short of laughable.  Needless to say, I did laugh out loud.

Quoting Jafo, reply 4and your Nick tells me more about you than any two-word response would about me.
Intentionally so, however in this case I'm not so sure.

I would be curious to hear what my nick tells you though (aside from what I've already revealed to this community in plain english?), if you care to tell?  And what's your point anyway?

Quoting Jafo, reply 4Oh, yes....I read it....40 or 50 years ago.

No, the bible is not a children's book.

Look at the current state of the world and you really consider the Bible to be beneficial to the human species???

I don't see how you can equate the two. Most books that are followed by the various religions of the world do not espouse violence. Just because there are people who use something as an excuse or justification for their actions does not mean that the Bible, or any other book in question is evil or bad. People will always find something as an excuse or justification for war or for anything that furthers their selfish desires. Blaming a book is utterly ridiculous. It seems to me that you are just looking for something to blame, rather than looking at the inherent flaws that lie in all of us. People kill or do any other of number of things for countless reasons, you seem to have a very limited vision when it comes to this.

May 17, 2013 4:02:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Couldn't get half way into the first book and all I heard from friends is you have to get half way into the second book then it gets good.

May 17, 2013 4:22:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A Song of Fire and Ice. Too many characters running around with unclear (negligible) importance. Not enough fantasy in the first books to hold my interest. Great tv series.

May 17, 2013 4:48:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I read Great Expectations, but it wasn't all that I thought it would be.

Ba-dum-chh

May 17, 2013 5:14:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't like the Gunslinger series.

May 17, 2013 5:15:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I really liked the first 3, was luke warm to the second 2, and then despised the last 2.  

May 17, 2013 5:15:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"The bible" in itself is garbage. It's poetic only in translation and any perceived genius is just the result of a millennium of brilliant minds reading into it more than was ever really there.

So if by "the bible" you mean the whole body of literature then it's something worthwhile, if you mean the thing you can hold in your hand then it's a joke (and a poor one).

May 17, 2013 5:16:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BlackRainZ,
there is no reason to be disrespectful. There are a lot of people who are very sensitive to that subject

+1

When it comes to one's religion, or lack of same, the subject should be approached with at least a semblance of tact. And "idiot?" From a senior member I would expect better manners.

May 17, 2013 5:21:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting jackswift85,
I read Great Expectations, but it wasn't all that I thought it would be.

Ba-dum-chh

Now that's funny, right there!

May 17, 2013 5:22:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyway! Disappointments are too many too list, but for fantasy:

All time record holder has to be anything by terry goodkind.

Currently I am disappointed by patrick rothfuss. <- Obviously not in the same league of suck as mr goodkind.

May 17, 2013 5:49:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I liked it up until the last book in the series.

May 17, 2013 5:51:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting BlackRainZ,
there is no reason to be disrespectful. There are a lot of people who are very sensitive to that subject and there is no need to antagonize

Somebody should make a rule about that sort of thing.... there's a time and place to argue religion, and this isn't it.

May 17, 2013 7:26:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kryo,
there's a time and place to argue religion, and this isn't it.

Yes, Kryo is correct...

Now, just to be clear....

The Op asked a question.  My quite legitimate, reasoned and honest answer was/is "the Bible".

Anyone is quite free to hold a different opinion [it is theirs afterall] however it DOES NOT AND WILL NOT alter mine, sorry.

Now, again, the Op asks a straight question.  You are entirely free to answer it.

What you are NOT allowed to do [in this forum section] is engage in a debate about the values [or lack there-of] of 'your' particular brand of Religion.

If you want to know 'why' I answered as I did...I read the bible in the 60's ....during a time in history where my conscription into National Service [Vietnam] looked imminent [and possibly my subsequent demise also].

May 18, 2013 1:47:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cardinal Direction first saw the light of day as my mage in D&D, back in the 80's.

On topic: "the instruction manual".

May 18, 2013 1:57:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Quoting Glazunov1, reply 13

But the worst that was highly recommended...? There was a fantasy trilogy published some decades back about a modern leper who ends up sucked into another dimension, where he's always hurting everyone else, but so self-involved that we're supposed to forgive everything from constant moodiness to rape. The best thing in it is that he truly dies at the end of the third book. An example of a more self-pitying, unrealistic character just doesn't come to my mind. I don't remember the title, and that's just as well.

Sounds like you're talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant

Basically he finds himself in another world and one of the first things he does is rape somebody because he doesn't think it's real. There's a bit of back and forth where he tries to find out if the other world is actually real or if he is just imagining it / dreaming it. Ultimately he comes to the oh so important realization that it doesn't matter if the world is real or not, he shouldn't hurt people anyway.

Yes, that was it. I found the main character a self-indulgent emotional wallow lacking in commonsense, empathy, and even the basic concept of people skills. Against a cardboard fantasy backdrop.

May 18, 2013 2:04:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Terry's 'most disappointing' one was [and she reads a serious LOT of books] L Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth ....probably because of his 'invention' of Scientology...... a bit like a S/F writer confusing his own fiction with his reality....

May 18, 2013 2:04:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Dead Until Dark. All of my friends made this huge deal about how great the Sookie Stackhouse series was so I finally gave in and tried to read it. Ugh. I hated just about everything about it, particularly the main character.

May 18, 2013 2:24:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JoshuaJP,
Dead Until Dark. All of my friends made this huge deal about how great the Sookie Stackhouse series was so I finally gave in and tried to read it. Ugh. I hated just about everything about it, particularly the main character.

Haven't read the books [Terry has] ...but I enjoy the TV series...

May 18, 2013 4:13:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

How dare you accuse the most respected member of this website of trolling??!!

I dunno....  .....the frog's up there...  

May 18, 2013 12:53:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This conversation had possibly till the ideologues started calling others they do not agree with idiot's. Now it's the kind of post you look at and say where are all these kids parents at.

Can't we all be adults. JAFO has his opinion that's what this post was about I thought. I do not hold the same opinion. but I am not going to try and force mine on him. It's called respect. What I do not respect is people calling me childish names because they do not know how to express them self's in an intelligent manner.

Just my 2 cents worth.

May 18, 2013 1:44:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 32

I really liked the first 3, was luke warm to the second 2, and then despised the last 2.  

I'm assuming you guys are talking about the Dark Tower. And if so, I completely agree. The first three were great. The fourth was alright, but I didn't care for the departure from the main storyline combined with all these references to other books (sorry Stephen King, you're not being original by having your characters "meet you in real life" and by creating bad guys with self-described "sneetches from Harry Potter"). You can really tell that he stopped writing the Dark Tower series halfway through and then picked it up 20 years later. 5 and 6 kept going downhill... I was so disenchanted by the end of the 6th book that I haven't even read the conclusion 7th book. Books 5 and 6 now act as risers for my bed (along with a lot of Chicken Soup for the ___ Soul books my fiance didn't care for).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001485   Page Render Time: