Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+173

*** Released 5/16/2013 ***

Fixes

Fixed an issue keeping Guardian Idols form using the sovereigns spells

Fixed an issue causing quest maps to not work

Fixed an issue that could cause units to be placed off of the tactical map

Fixed an issue that would still allow units to cast spells while they were berserk

Fixed an issue with the Heart Of Morian not boosting HP of units trained in that city

Fixed an issue where you could be unable to select a perk if you had traits form other trees

Fixed an issue that would keep you from boarding a ship with a full army

Fixed an issue where the Broken Loyalty spell would cause the unit to retake it immediatly

Fixed an issue that can cause a stuck turn after attacking a city without defenders

Fixed an issue that can occasionally cause barren tiles to appear under water

Fixed an animation issue that caused units to keep running for a second when doing a move and attack action

Balance

Removed the init penalty from all types of chain gloves

Reduced the init of shrills slightly

Switched Crow Demons from Graceful to Stand Firm traits

Knights of Asok increased from a group of 3 to 4

Cindercorpses are now immune to fire

Reduced the mana cost of the Confusion spell from 80 to 40

Propoganda reduced to +1 gildar per essence (instead of +2 gildar per essence)

All spears/boar spears/pikes reduced to 33% armor piercing (from 50%)

Dual Burning Axes is now Uncommon (instead of Common

Book Of Mastery moved to behind the Third Book of the Magi (from a 5th rank tech to a 7th rank tech)

Fixed an issue causing players to Offer Tribute to team members

Lightning Bolt damage increased to 8 (+2 per level) instead of a flat 10.  Increased the casting cost from 20 to 25

Storm loses its casting time and its mana cost increased from 18 to 24

Increased the amount of darkling guards on Deorcynsse

Administrator III reduced to -5% faction wide unrest (instead of -10%) and it has a min level of 8

Birth of Summer and Bloom of Twilight reduced to 200 mana casting cost (instead of 300) and moved up to Sorcery (instead of Third Book of the Magi)

Blindness reduces the victims dodge by 25% as well as accuracy

Burning Hands damage increased to 10+2 instead of 8+2

Curgen's Volcano mana cost reduced to 1200 (from 2000)

Casting time removed from Curse

Flame Wave casting time reduced to 1 turn (from 2 turns) and damage increased to 8+2 instead of 4+2

Guardian Wind mana cost reduced to 4 (form 9) and Dodge vs ranged bonus increased to 25+5 instead of 15+5

Nature's Call has its range removed

Storm casting time removed

The Defender version of Plate Mail Proficiency no longer has a level prereq

Medic and First Aid traits have been moved form the Defender tree to the general tree

Removed the Potential 2 and 3 traits

Moved Medic and First Aid form the Defender skill tree to the General skill tree

Increased Champion (and sovereign) base hp slightly

Scenario

Fixed issues that were placing champion versions of normal units (like burning bladed, warg riding, path of the mage pioneers)

Added some additional detail, events and art

Fixed an issue allowing duplicate copies of Jordur and Craul

Locked Post 89 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 16, 2013 3:46:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When did they add a new army management screen... I completely missed that add in, very nice.

May 16, 2013 3:57:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

I think Admin III change is an overnerf.   It wasn't a no-brainer path to go down before, now it's a no-brainer to go down the other path, or to pick Loremaster for the +6 research (and don't sages/cloisters/libraries buff that +6)    One of the nerfs is probably sufficient (I'd say the level prereq is the way to go, not nerfing the impact)  

If I had my way, Admin/Loremaster/Merchant would be general tree, Obsidian Guard and Shieldwall would be moved to Commander.

Tactician would be its own tree, with a level requirement for Tactician II/III/IV of 5/8/11

merchant needs some love.

I'd also say remove potential and knowledge completely.

One last note: I love all these balance changes you're doing, but I think it's a bit last minute.  I think official release of LH should be delayed one more week to get them all in.  Game is ready, but these changes you're doing are helping immensely and another week of rapid feedback/change would help the game out plenty.

I agree with all these points, especially delaying the release one week.

May 16, 2013 5:31:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Releasedates hardly matter anymore. New players won't notice these changes and veterans are all playing the beta. So delaying the release by one week doesn't do anything. Either you delay for a long time or you just release it.

May 16, 2013 7:05:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

v0.91 bugs found.  Med size random map, self designed sovereign: First: scroll that initiates new quests not working. Second: When a beast master stack tames a beast, beast is left on former lair/goody hut.  If player moves into this square, reward is not offered.  If player waits a turn, moves tamed critter to another square, and then stack moves into empty lair, reward is offered.  Same as preceding except if there are two or more hostile stacks in the square with the lair.  Tamed critter will be in same square as hostiles.  Hostiles (in lair) seem to ignore newly tamed critter (for one season, anyway - never left tamed critter there).

May 16, 2013 7:11:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Request:  Please make the 'random events' accessible at world creation.  May we please have a checklist of random events, and a check box opting in/out of having the possibility of that event(s) occurring in that game.  I detest the 'everyone at war' event, and reload whenever it happens.  Other players love that event.   I'm sure there are other events some players dislike.  Why not just create a list of events and a check box next to each, and allow players select option(s).  For those that like 'surprises, or don;t want to know all the random events in the game, just make it an option to access this selection screen.  If you don't want to know, just don't open the screen during world creation. Please don't 'take away something, but rather provide player access to options regarding random events.

May 16, 2013 7:24:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vallu751,

Quoting Trojasmic, reply 34Now make Potential 1 = 25% exp bonus.

That would make it a no-brainer. You'd have to pick it always.

Throw it away or keep it useful for main heroes only.

Indeed, it should be a bonus for someone specifically specializing in exp gain, not a one hit wonder you always take. Wouldn't mind seeing potential completely gone though. 

May 16, 2013 8:00:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have no problem with the experience multiplier choices.  Its a tradeoff between getting an early usable skill, or 'saving up / studying up' on better skills faster /later.  The tress for city administrator/military commander/ [+guilder/research/per turn] seem fine. They are all forms of 'administration' - organizing the group to preform better.

May 16, 2013 8:02:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"General" tree:  When I first started playing, I kept thinking the 'general' tree was about military generals.  For new people playing the first time, change this label to "generalist" would more clearly indicate what it is about. 

May 16, 2013 8:23:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In that case rename it Hero tree

May 16, 2013 8:36:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,

quoting post
*** Unreleased ***

Now make Potential 1 = 25% exp bonus.

That would make it a clear non-brainer first choice......

May 16, 2013 9:11:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

I think Admin III change is an overnerf.

I agree. And I feel like this was done specifically because of the Altarian henchmen. When you can mass produce champions, any city-wide effect is over powered. Henchmen are too strong anyway, and make normal champions feel cheap. I would really like it if they could not gain champion traits, and just started with their basic abilities and spells (which are already very good).

May 16, 2013 9:19:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why not restrict path choices from Henchmen making them only have access to the general tree.  This would prevent over abuse of Henchmen by lowering their base effectivity.

May 16, 2013 11:13:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,

Why not restrict path choices from Henchmen making them only have access to the general tree.  This would prevent over abuse of Henchmen by lowering their base effectivity.

I thought the same thing, I second that suggestion.

May 16, 2013 11:22:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,

I think it would be better to place the global enhancements (merchant, administrator, ...) in the general tree and only the sovereign should be able to select them. In this case they could be stronger, but they would not be overpowered, because they can not stack.

May 16, 2013 11:23:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

These changes are looking very nice! So, um, when are they getting pushed out to Steam? I've got more testing to do!  

May 16, 2013 1:44:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NorsemanViking,
Quoting Trojasmic,
reply 34

quoting post
*** Unreleased ***

Now make Potential 1 = 25% exp bonus.

That would make it a clear non-brainer first choice......

Based on the experience numbers for champions, +25% experience taken at level 3 only pays for itself at level 12 (i.e., at the point when you'd normally have gained enough experience to be level 12, you'd actually be at level 13). This is not a significant advantage, nor is it so much better than the other choices you could have that you absolutely must take it before anything else. Granted, you will reach some levels slightly sooner than you would otherwise, but you won't be a full level ahead until you'd normally have reached level 12.

You also don't get a second "free" level until some time after level 20 (I don't know exactly when since I don't have experience numbers for levels after level 22).

Being level 13 when you'd normally be level 12 is such a minor advantage that I'd seriously doubt the utility of taking Potential - an extra 1 to 4 health (depending on race and class) and an extra 1 or 2 accuracy, dodge, spell resistance, and spell mastery isn't going to make much of a difference to you at that point.

This is, however, still better than what Potential I currently is, which doesn't pay off until level 20, or the subsequent Potential traits, which don't pay off until your champion would normally be level 18 (Potential I and II) or 17 (Potential I, II, and III). Mix them with Knowledge and that stays at about level 17.

Edit: Assuming my curvefit is correct, Potential 1 as it currently is will not give you a second extra level (read: the first extra trait you earn, once you account for taking Potential instead of something else) until you'd normally have reached level 41. Thus, in a normal game the only benefit you'd see from taking the Potential trait is that you would have 1 extra level and 1 trait that grants no direct benefit to anything. This isn't a good pick currently for anyone. Taking all three potential traits and/or knowledge is useful if you're getting large bonuses from leveling (mage with Flame Dart, or the lightning bow, or something like that), since you at least get a few extra levels before you'd stop, but only 1 extra level by the time the map runs out of experience (or by when you run into the level ceiling, assuming you've tried making a superhero) isn't worth it.

Even at +25% experience, you only get your second extra level when your champion would normally be level 25.

May 16, 2013 3:44:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And it's released, time to try out some of these new tweaks.

Edit: After first validating the game files, I found that this update there were 5 files that failed the test; this hasn't happened the last couple of updates, so just a general heads up.

May 16, 2013 4:11:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow. I had no idea the exp curves for levels were so steep. Thanks for pointing it out so clearly, joeball.

It's not very intuitive that +25% xp actually means something like +5% in terms of levels.

May 16, 2013 4:33:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd love to see a 'let's play' with this update.  

May 16, 2013 4:51:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

I'd love to see a 'let's play' with this update.  

Every Friday and Monday on my twitch channel

May 16, 2013 5:46:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Give us a link SBFMadDjinn, I'd love to check it out too (I've watched some of your earlier ones).

May 16, 2013 6:04:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been generating and revealing maps(challenging, dense everything, medium), running a few turns to watch the AI(normal); after about a dozen or so maps I have a few observations.

It seem the AI has much better initial placement, typically clear for 3-4 spaces, with mostly medium stacks nearby. Did see a deadly stack within 4 spaces in several of the maps, maybe a quarter, but no closer than that.

The AI sometimes will just sit a turn or two, before moving or settling. They do seem to pick better spots, watched with joy as several times they settled the spot I would have chosen. One even spent 3 turns moving to a 3/3/3. Some AIs cleared the immediate area of goodie huts before settling, others did not.

There don't seem to be enough quest locations generated to justify Heroic's 2 point cost. Maybe it should just be a flat faction wide bonus to Hero xp, or faction XP, but IMO it's too expensive as is.

Again, JMO, but maps have too much water. For a game where water is only a barrier, except in the scenario, there should be more land. Ideally, an option for an all land map, along with a setting for river and lake density, would rule.

May 16, 2013 7:04:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Memory leak from 0.91 still in the game? Game gums up gradually and crashes every hour or two, even on strong computers. 

May 16, 2013 7:25:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I played a lot of  sandbox .91, several sessions of 4 or more hours, couple of times a lot more, zero crashes. Been regenerating maps and watching the AI for the first few turns since .92 released, probably 3 dozen maps or so by now, zero crashes.

My PC is nothing special, Win 7, Geforce 9200, 4 gigs of RAM, everything up to date driver wise. Game has been very stable for me.

May 16, 2013 8:56:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

Give us a link SBFMadDjinn, I'd love to check it out too (I've watched some of your earlier ones).

Twitch:

http://www.twitch.tv/maddjinn/new

Fridays and Mondays at 5pm EDT (10pm UTC) I live stream for 2 hrs.

I've also got the Mancer playthrough slowly being added to my YT channel (linky to the playlist) though it's from .8 version (Mostly I'm forgetful about releasing videos every day).

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIn-J5vZXOJMwULATJtpSPn6PJzg-AA1O

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: