Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+173

*** Released 5/16/2013 ***

Fixes

Fixed an issue keeping Guardian Idols form using the sovereigns spells

Fixed an issue causing quest maps to not work

Fixed an issue that could cause units to be placed off of the tactical map

Fixed an issue that would still allow units to cast spells while they were berserk

Fixed an issue with the Heart Of Morian not boosting HP of units trained in that city

Fixed an issue where you could be unable to select a perk if you had traits form other trees

Fixed an issue that would keep you from boarding a ship with a full army

Fixed an issue where the Broken Loyalty spell would cause the unit to retake it immediatly

Fixed an issue that can cause a stuck turn after attacking a city without defenders

Fixed an issue that can occasionally cause barren tiles to appear under water

Fixed an animation issue that caused units to keep running for a second when doing a move and attack action

Balance

Removed the init penalty from all types of chain gloves

Reduced the init of shrills slightly

Switched Crow Demons from Graceful to Stand Firm traits

Knights of Asok increased from a group of 3 to 4

Cindercorpses are now immune to fire

Reduced the mana cost of the Confusion spell from 80 to 40

Propoganda reduced to +1 gildar per essence (instead of +2 gildar per essence)

All spears/boar spears/pikes reduced to 33% armor piercing (from 50%)

Dual Burning Axes is now Uncommon (instead of Common

Book Of Mastery moved to behind the Third Book of the Magi (from a 5th rank tech to a 7th rank tech)

Fixed an issue causing players to Offer Tribute to team members

Lightning Bolt damage increased to 8 (+2 per level) instead of a flat 10.  Increased the casting cost from 20 to 25

Storm loses its casting time and its mana cost increased from 18 to 24

Increased the amount of darkling guards on Deorcynsse

Administrator III reduced to -5% faction wide unrest (instead of -10%) and it has a min level of 8

Birth of Summer and Bloom of Twilight reduced to 200 mana casting cost (instead of 300) and moved up to Sorcery (instead of Third Book of the Magi)

Blindness reduces the victims dodge by 25% as well as accuracy

Burning Hands damage increased to 10+2 instead of 8+2

Curgen's Volcano mana cost reduced to 1200 (from 2000)

Casting time removed from Curse

Flame Wave casting time reduced to 1 turn (from 2 turns) and damage increased to 8+2 instead of 4+2

Guardian Wind mana cost reduced to 4 (form 9) and Dodge vs ranged bonus increased to 25+5 instead of 15+5

Nature's Call has its range removed

Storm casting time removed

The Defender version of Plate Mail Proficiency no longer has a level prereq

Medic and First Aid traits have been moved form the Defender tree to the general tree

Removed the Potential 2 and 3 traits

Moved Medic and First Aid form the Defender skill tree to the General skill tree

Increased Champion (and sovereign) base hp slightly

Scenario

Fixed issues that were placing champion versions of normal units (like burning bladed, warg riding, path of the mage pioneers)

Added some additional detail, events and art

Fixed an issue allowing duplicate copies of Jordur and Craul

Locked Post 89 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 14, 2013 12:44:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any chance you can change some of the wording on traits discussed here?

May 14, 2013 12:49:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
All spears/boar spears/pikes reduced to 33% armor piercing (from 50%)

Book Of Mastery moved to behind the Third Book of the Magi (from a 5th rank tech to a 7th rank tech)

Thank you very much.

I do not know if it is bug or working as intended, but if you cast the spell that grants you access to Heal or Fireball on the sovereign, a champion or a henchman it is impossible to cast the spell again.

It would be great if LH could get female henchman.

May 14, 2013 12:59:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can you fix the bug where new champions summoned while the sovereign is on a boat get stuck in the water? Suggested fix here:

http://forums.stardock.com/444211/page/1/

Thanks for all the fixes!

May 14, 2013 1:26:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

*** Unreleased ***

Scenario

Fixed issues that were placing champion versions of normal units (like burning bladed, warg riding, path of the mage pioneers)

that's great though i think keeping them in the game as an easter egg would be hilarious (reward for a very rare quest or something)

on a more serious note: while you're balancing city enchantments - any plans to change aura of grace/heart of fire? they seem excessively powerful in their current form. 

in my opinion, aura of grace might just as well be a buff to dodge instead of initiative - it's still a bit too easy to exploit the dynamic turns/initiative system. heart of fire could be reduced to a flat +1 fire damage, or maybe instead of +damage, something less powerful (maybe +accuracy? - or fire resistance- still a decent buff considering that many of the stronger monsters do lots of fire damage [dragons/fire lords/fire shrills/ignis/wildling shamans/cindercorpse...) would make it useful without the implications of handing out armor ignoring bonus damage for free

EDIT: also, good to see you're reducing the armor penetration on spears. i always found them a bit too dominating mid-late game.

May 14, 2013 1:49:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Azunai_,
in my opinion, aura of grace might just as well be a buff to dodge instead of initiative - it's still a bit too easy to exploit the dynamic turns/initiative system. heart of fire could be reduced to a flat +1 fire damage, or maybe instead of +damage, something less powerful (maybe +accuracy? - or fire resistance- still a decent buff considering that many of the stronger monsters do lots of fire damage [dragons/fire lords/fire shrills/ignis/wildling shamans/cindercorpse...) would make it useful without the implications of handing out armor ignoring bonus damage for free

I think a bonus of + 2 to attack or + 2 to initiative would be great.

May 14, 2013 1:50:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

SPEARS GOT NERFED

I love you. 

----

Can you please give the heavy crossbow and Yew Longbow 25% armor piercing?

May 14, 2013 1:50:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, and the catapult needs some love. Give it overpower, please. 

May 14, 2013 1:53:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yesterday Toby ran into this: http://screencast.com/t/1zEUyKlA

That's a warg riding, level 4, champion, path of the mage, pioneer fully outfitted with armor and weapons.  You haven't lived until a Quendar pioneer has walked into your lands and beat up your soldiers.  I'm still curious to find out if the pioneer would have settled a town if he would have been reborn in it or permanently died.

May 14, 2013 1:56:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

General note: mages (fire / lightning / cold) now deal 0 damage to enemies immune to their element, instead of dealing reduced damage (resistant to damage changed to immune). So you need to plan carefully on which types you make to fight what. This also means buffs to fire and cold (you can get immunity mid-end game) also affect this (which is not a bad thing for Yithril for example who can't make ranged units and always was taking full damage from mages). This further pushes the end game fights focus (player vs AI or other players in future) toward Life / Death / Air spell schools and armor pen / defense mechanics.

@Derek Paxton: Can you please fix the bug that doesn't show the shard altar upgrades for Reson in the tech tree (or any custom faction that has shard harvesting trait). There is nothing at Immortal Codex or Ereog's Journal.

@Azunai: Regarding Hearth of Fire - haven't tested yet, but I suspect it follows same rules like Mage damage, and is reduced by fire resistances, and completely discarded in damage calculations vs immune opponents (at least that would make sense to me, if you have a group of 6 archers made in a fortress with 4 essences with HoF buff which gives them extra 24 atk as fire dmg and their base atk is 60 so 84 in total, if they attack my spearmen unit wearing a cloak that reduces fire dmg by 50%, they should do 12 fire dmg, so their atk would be 72 instead of 84 against my unit). Not sure Aura of Grace it's the culprit here considering you can get initiative boosters from equipment and casting haste (which benefits greatly from your Air power).

May 14, 2013 1:57:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davrovana,

Can you please give the heavy crossbow and Yew Longbow 25% armor piercing?

and please change the premade crossbowmen units to include a shield. if i hadn't seen it in a thread on this board, i never would have realized that crossbows are one handed - the premade designs seem like a perfect opportunity to communicate that little detail to the players (let's face it- without a shield, they are nothing but nerfed bows with a rather underwhelming special move)

May 14, 2013 2:08:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

Yesterday Toby ran into this: http://screencast.com/t/1zEUyKlA

That's a warg riding, level 4, champion, path of the mage, pioneer fully outfitted with armor and weapons.  You haven't lived until a Quendar pioneer has walked into your lands and beat up your soldiers.  I'm still curious to find out if the pioneer would have settled a town if he would have been reborn in it or permanently died.

Quendar as a race might not always be the best, but one thing is for sure- they know how to build a pioneer to last!

May 14, 2013 2:08:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,

@Azunai: Regarding Hearth of Fire - haven't tested yet, but I suspect it follows same rules like Mage damage, and is reduced by fire resistances, and completely discarded in damage calculations vs immune opponents (at least that would make sense to me, if you have a group of 6 archers made in a fortress with 4 essences with HoF buff which gives them extra 24 atk as fire dmg and their base atk is 60 so 84 in total, if they attack my spearmen unit wearing a cloak that reduces fire dmg by 50%, they should do 12 fire dmg, so their atk would be 72 instead of 84 against my unit). Not sure Aura of Grace it's the culprit here considering you can get initiative boosters from equipment and casting haste (which benefits greatly from your Air power).

yeah the fire damage is probably mitigated by resistance. the problematic part isn't the AI using it against the player, though. it's more that a player can (and many players in fact do) use those buffs to pretty much trivialize the tactical combat system. after all, they stack with all the other damage/init buffs, and they cost you just a one time mana investment, while haste/damage jewelry is with a similar effect is at least balanced by the crystal cost (a single company with fire/frost & haste amulets costs like ~70 crystal, that's not trivial), and haste spells have an opportunity cost (your champ will either cast haste, or do something else, not both at the same time)

May 14, 2013 2:31:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like to take the opportunity to ask the devs to take a look at some spells and adjust them to scale either with level of caster or shards power.

A positive example is Entropy from death school. Doesn't take many shards to boost the damage to remain competitive past mid game on higher difficulty settings.

A negative example are all air school damage spells. One does 10 damage no matter what (true can hit up to 5 targets, but when those targets are peaking in 100 hp range, it's just wasted mana), other one has a cast time and hits a random target. This makes Air a non-damaging spell school and you're better off just casting the buffs it's provides (which are various in nature and effect).

The spells should scale for all difficulty levels, and remain viable as the game progresses and you fight tougher and higher level enemies, otherwise we're left with utility and buffs / debuffs (since their effects already are affected by either level of caster or element power, and are not affected by level of enemies) - which makes the game boring from a magic perspective (yes Air still blows damage wise even with max rank evoker and spell damage gear, compared to blizzard and fire / death damaging spells).

There should be an incentive for players to explore different paths when specializing their mage instead of go for summons with heals and buffs, or summons with debuffs.

Quick note, most elemental summons are underwhelming compared to Air Elemental (high initiative, spear + impale, 3 square knockdown ability, and very high hp). Why is my level 12 igniss having 39 hp when my Air Elemental level 12 has 160. Why does my Fire elemental level 12 have only 89 hp, and his unique ability doesn't scale with it's level? Dealing 3-4 fire damage to troops having 100+hp while he has no defense, makes it a waste of mana to even summon him as he will implode when gets hit (not to mention his damage is reduced by resistances / buffs or equipment that provides resistances etc). Ice Elemental has no abilities and no defense (yet ice elementals found in game have quite nice defense).

If someone goes that deep into the summoning tree, each new tier should provide a creature that is at least marginally better stats wise than previous ones (atk / def) and their unique abilities should scale with their levels.

May 14, 2013 3:38:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about a bit of love for Stoneskin and Aura of Grace? They scale, but really slowly and don't seem like they've moved up with some of the other tweaking to spells.

May 14, 2013 3:43:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,
Quick note, most elemental summons are underwhelming compared to Air Elemental (high initiative, spear + impale, 3 square knockdown ability, and very high hp). Why is my level 12 igniss having 39 hp when my Air Elemental level 12 has 160. Why does my Fire elemental level 12 have only 89 hp, and his unique ability doesn't scale with it's level? Dealing 3-4 fire damage to troops having 100+hp while he has no defense, makes it a waste of mana to even summon him as he will implode when gets hit (not to mention his damage is reduced by resistances / buffs or equipment that provides resistances etc).

The fire elemental has overpower, but you are right that it should have either defense or dodge. The shockwave ability of the earth elemental is great and the regeneration of the grave elemental is nice, too.

May 14, 2013 3:49:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've got a slew of map fixes if you want to look at them. All the phantom rivers, and river's that are not rivers have been fixed in all your (pre-compiled) maps that ship with the game.

In the anthys map you have a large number of blocked tiles in the north, but visually there is no indication as to why it should be blocked. I think this was because the world objects P_Northern_Wastes_River_Corner_01,WorldProp have been changed from a scary mountain looking thing to a simple rocks on the ground.

May 14, 2013 4:13:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Parrottmath, I'm going to dedicate my first game post beta to you dude.

You are amazing.

May 14, 2013 4:13:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,

I would like to take the opportunity to ask the devs to take a look at some spells and adjust them to scale either with level of caster or shards power.

A positive example is Entropy from death school. Doesn't take many shards to boost the damage to remain competitive past mid game on higher difficulty settings.

A negative example are all air school damage spells. One does 10 damage no matter what (true can hit up to 5 targets, but when those targets are peaking in 100 hp range, it's just wasted mana), other one has a cast time and hits a random target. This makes Air a non-damaging spell school and you're better off just casting the buffs it's provides (which are various in nature and effect).

The spells should scale for all difficulty levels, and remain viable as the game progresses and you fight tougher and higher level enemies, otherwise we're left with utility and buffs / debuffs (since their effects already are affected by either level of caster or element power, and are not affected by level of enemies) - which makes the game boring from a magic perspective (yes Air still blows damage wise even with max rank evoker and spell damage gear, compared to blizzard and fire / death damaging spells).

Lightning Bolt damage increased to 8 (+2 per level) instead of a flat 10.  Increased the casting cost from 20 to 25
Storm loses its casting time and its mana cost increased from 18 to 24

There you go! Good suggestion and good changes btw.

May 14, 2013 6:13:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Derek,

Will you please fix this bug?  It basically forces you to end the game.  It reared itself in yet another manifestation today on me where Umber took my city then I took it back on the next turn and then everything locked up.  None of my units can move and the end turn button doesn't work.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/444277/page/1/#3356727

May 14, 2013 6:15:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Derek,

One more thing... there's still time to get my quest into the main game before release.  It's a great little unique quest!  And Parrottmath did the XML work so you know it's good.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/442891/page/1/#3347535

May 14, 2013 7:53:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,

Hi Derek,

One more thing... there's still time to get my quest into the main game before release.  It's a great little unique quest!  And Parrottmath did the XML work so you know it's good.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/442891/page/1/#3347535

Thanks for the vote of confidence Trojasmic. It would be fun to see that quest show up in the main game, but I understand if they don't put it in the game. They seem to be rather busy getting things fixed up at the moment.

May 14, 2013 7:57:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure if that is a fix... it is really a nerf to pioneers!!! I think this would be terrifying especially coupled with pioneer spam that happens sometimes.

May 14, 2013 7:59:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can you fix the tactical scroll so it does not scroll at X5 when you have the unit move at X5?

May 14, 2013 9:17:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has the issue keeping characters from teleporting to former Wildlands been fixed?

May 14, 2013 9:47:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,

There should be an incentive for players to explore different paths when specializing their mage instead of go for summons with heals and buffs, or summons with debuffs.

Quick note, most elemental summons are underwhelming compared to Air Elemental (high initiative, spear + impale, 3 square knockdown ability, and very high hp). Why is my level 12 igniss having 39 hp when my Air Elemental level 12 has 160. Why does my Fire elemental level 12 have only 89 hp, and his unique ability doesn't scale with it's level? Dealing 3-4 fire damage to troops having 100+hp while he has no defense, makes it a waste of mana to even summon him as he will implode when gets hit (not to mention his damage is reduced by resistances / buffs or equipment that provides resistances etc). Ice Elemental has no abilities and no defense (yet ice elementals found in game have quite nice defense).

If someone goes that deep into the summoning tree, each new tier should provide a creature that is at least marginally better stats wise than previous ones (atk / def) and their unique abilities should scale with their levels.

I agree with everything here and the 0.92 air changes are good. I would add one caveat: I don't mind low level spells getting obsoleted. If flame Dart dealt something like 10 dmg +1/shard it would be amazing early game but not scale well late game. Thats fine, assuming you get better fire spells later on.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time: