Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+173

*** Released 05/13/2013 ***

Fixes

Switched the Treasure Map quest to use the new quest dialog correctly

Fixed an issue keeping Abeix from giving Sunderer when defeated

Fixed issue where turn limit achievement did not unlock

Fixed issue where quest complete wnd would pop out of order for completion of the master quest

Fixed some save/load crashes

Fixed an issue causing Rain Of Arrows to cause an animation hang (10 second delay)

Balance

Higher level monsters now give more xp to keep leveling from slowing down at higher levels (if you are killing higher level stuff)

Removed the defense from monks robes and increased the dodge form +5 to +10 (this is mostly to get the monks robe out of the auto upgrades since it was making units require crystal)

Shrills are now more likely to be found in mixed groups (not 3 fire shrills but 2 fire shrills and an earth shrill, etc)

Umber loses the Stealth faction trait and gains Warriors

Removed the cooldown from the Fire Shrills Embers ability

Removed the cooldown from the Water Shrills Slow ability

Removed the cooldown from the Air Shrills Static Blast ability

Reduced the damage on Static Blast slightly

Removed some unintended Soldiers Cloaks that were forcing crystal costs on some units (Pariden spearmen, etc)

More variety of tactical maps in deserts

Units don’t start so scattered on desert maps

Lowered the tax rate at the highest setting form 0.9 to 0.8

All the Armor Proficiencies for Defenders, Warriors, Commanders and Assassins are at the front of the trait tree with level prereqs on them instead of being blocked by other traits

Pariden Monk special unit loses Armor Proficiency 2 and gains Lithe

Ward of Health increased to ++7 hp (from +5 hp)

Champion's Spear is now a Common drop (instead of Uncommon)

Ruined Chain Shirt Defense increased to 5 (from 3)

Removed the wage cost form Knights of Asok, Mercenaries (gained from the camp) and Hunters

Rain of Arrows can now be used if you have allies in range (though it won't hurt your allies)

Scenario

Fixed an issue causing lairs to spawn monsters every turn (which alos led to some significant late game performance issues)

Fixed an issue causing Magnar’s capital to not get any yields

Fixed an issue that allowed the AI to trigger the Guardian Statues

New final battle

Added a seperate Yithril faction for the invasion forces (and adjusted objectives to better guide the player)

Karavox won't Broken Loyalties your cities in the scenario

Locked Post 62 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 12, 2013 2:56:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizard1200,

Quoting parrottmath, reply 16I would prefer the AI to utilize the move and then action.

Enemy archers are doing this already.

Enemy archers are doing a move and attack which the AI is always doing anyway. What it is not doing is move and a special action. For example, a black widow could move and then web, or it could move and beguile... Or an ogre move then throw bolder. The move then attack has always been available, with bows, and swords and such.

Or ruffians could use move then rush, as opposed to rush then move...

May 12, 2013 2:57:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mhm maybe i've overlooked it but what's with the problem of upgrading the size of a unit? In my last game i could train a unit consisting of 3 soldiers which cost me a lot of crystal and metal but when i upgrade them, so they contain 6 people it will only cost some gold and not even that much. So you can save half of their ressource cost.

Hopefully my point is understandable because english isn't my main language.

May 12, 2013 3:03:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Taming, bribing (bandits or trained units) results in you winning the fight (defeating the enemy) and since the newly obtained unit took part in the conflict, everyone gets xp. Its an intended mechanic. You can only use those skills once per fight pretty much, and the rare occasions when you meet a single one (higher level ones) are so rare that they really don't add anything overpowered.

Yes taming early a grizzly bear or w/e is called, or a slag will give you a nice boost in xp and army power. But is a huge gamble (unless obviously you spam reloads until you get lucky rng on resist), and it could mean a bigger setback if it fails - which is a possible chance. After having a simple mite resist 4 blinds in a row with only 4 spell resist vs my 85 spell mastery, am really not taking anything for certain. It's the flavor of the factions who have the traits

May 12, 2013 3:07:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A Water shrill casting chaos would be a tougher opponent than the ones that cast only slow.  

You could spice up Earth shrills with a chance to Bash opponents.

Shrill Lords could be paired with Shrill Queens that hatch 2-3 new shrills a turn in melee  ,  this would be a tough fight unless you had successfully quested for the Orkin Hammer   of Shrill Smiting.

May 12, 2013 7:15:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NaytchSG,

A Water shrill casting chaos would be a tougher opponent than the ones that cast only slow.  

You could spice up Earth shrills with a chance to Bash opponents.

Shrill Lords could be paired with Shrill Queens that hatch 2-3 new shrills a turn in melee  ,  this would be a tough fight unless you had successfully quested for the Orkin Hammer   of Shrill Smiting.

You know, as evil as this sounds, and it does sound evil, this would be an awesome encounter just as it is described.   for you sir!

May 12, 2013 8:22:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

NSFW!

May 13, 2013 2:41:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

Quoting Wizard1200, reply 17
Quoting parrottmath, reply 16I would prefer the AI to utilize the move and then action.

Enemy archers are doing this already.

Enemy archers are doing a move and attack which the AI is always doing anyway. What it is not doing is move and a special action. For example, a black widow could move and then web, or it could move and beguile... Or an ogre move then throw bolder. The move then attack has always been available, with bows, and swords and such.

Or ruffians could use move then rush, as opposed to rush then move...

But firing a bow is a 'special ability' (spell).

May 13, 2013 2:59:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
Ward of Health increased to ++7 hp (from +5 hp)

Could please update the Hunters Bow? It has still an attack of 8 and an initiative penalty of 8, but the damage of all champion weapons should have been increased with one of the latest patches.

The Hunter profession makes Tarth really weak. Why get + 50 % attack against beasts if you can tame them with Beastlord? Either Hunter should be removed (together with Veteran) or it should increase the attack against all non-humanoids by 25 %.

May 13, 2013 3:06:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tarth are not weak. +50% atk is insane bonus, makes it clearing all the wolves / bears early game much safer, plus you can go for dangerous beasts earlier (like solo slags hunting etc). They don't have Beastlord, so they can't tame them, they kill em instead. Maybe give 25% armor pen to Tarth specific bows with last tier one retaining the 50% armor pen. This way they keep same dmg vs non armored opponents, but gain a bit more dmg vs armored ones.

May 13, 2013 3:28:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,
+50% atk is insane bonus, makes it clearing all the wolves / bears early game much safer, plus you can go for dangerous beasts earlier (like solo slags hunting etc). They don't have Beastlord, so they can't tame them, they kill em instead.

The attack bonus is strong yes, but getting those beasts as units is MUCH stronger and that should be the powerlevel of all professions, because the professions should be unique and powerful.

May 13, 2013 3:37:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

50% dmg is always there, is not resisted. Tame beast can and will get resisted, especially vs higher level beasts, and even more if your hero attempting the tame is not a spellcaster with high spell mastery.

Beasts are just that, same with summons. They don't grow more units / group as they level. Their atk / defense don't increase either. More hp on a bear with 0 def means nothing past early game. He can't tank, nor will he be a beast dmg dealer with a 12 atk no matter of maul. Go try maul with a bear with 12 atk on a 10 def unit, even if you land 10 hits in a row I highly doubt you will do more than 12 dmg

May 13, 2013 3:49:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,
Beasts are just that, same with summons. They don't grow more units / group as they level. Their atk / defense don't increase either. More hp on a bear with 0 def means nothing past early game. He can't tank, nor will he be a beast dmg dealer with a 12 atk no matter of maul. Go try maul with a bear with 12 atk on a 10 def unit, even if you land 10 hits in a row I highly doubt you will do more than 12 dmg

Cast Growth (+ 50 % attack and - 50 % dodge (can be ignored, because 0 - 50 % = 0)) on the bear and use swarm and he will be very dangerous. That works great with summons, too.

May 13, 2013 4:08:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah we add buffs into equation now? Buff the bear with everything you want, he still won't compare to heroes / trained troops / summons by the time you pick growth / shrink in life mastery.

Now imagine I cast that growth on any tarth unit attacking the bear. My unit has 10 atk for sake of simple calculation. So he sits at 15 atk now. Then we add 50% trait = 15+7.5 = 22 if you round down, 23 if you round up. Now add double strike. And I can pimp that units with upgraded armor and weapons, give it a mount so it will always go before your bear (can't care less if your bear is defending, 0 defense when defending becomes 5 defense), as well as pimp it with accessories (necklaces, rings etc).

Plus only beastmaster belongs to Kulan, which doesn't have access to life spells - so you are forced to rely on luck on getting a hero with life. Am not going to take into account custom factions since those obviously are not balanced (hard to do so really given the multitude of skills you have to chose from).

May 13, 2013 8:11:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Something to note- The new cautious sovereign ability that lets you run away from combat can be very powerful in the hands of a beastlord.

May 13, 2013 9:47:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Removed some unintended Soldiers Cloaks that were forcing crystal costs on some units (Pariden spearmen, etc)"

Are the cloaks removed from the soldiers, or from the game? Thanks for clarifying!

May 13, 2013 10:32:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to agree on the change from slow to chaos, because I"m just imagining the Water shrill slow being the Marin Karin of the game (play Persona 3 to see what I mean, it's an infamous AI flaw)- Chaos can do damage.

The armor proficiencies idea is nice, I think that needs to apply to the mage tree for some things as well, or cut the prereqs and throw in a level

The mancys and summons should only require one level of prodigy or summoner, and you should be able to go down a path for summons to get better summons, and down a mancy path to get better elemental spells.

May 13, 2013 10:34:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,

Ah we add buffs into equation now? Buff the bear with everything you want, he still won't compare to heroes / trained troops / summons by the time you pick growth / shrink in life mastery.

Now imagine I cast that growth on any tarth unit attacking the bear. My unit has 10 atk for sake of simple calculation. So he sits at 15 atk now. Then we add 50% trait = 15+7.5 = 22 if you round down, 23 if you round up. Now add double strike. And I can pimp that units with upgraded armor and weapons, give it a mount so it will always go before your bear (can't care less if your bear is defending, 0 defense when defending becomes 5 defense), as well as pimp it with accessories (necklaces, rings etc).

Actually, the real power of beastlord seems to be the ability to capture a Great Wolf.  It buffs all friendly units with + its level to attack for the duration of combat.  Not only does this make those bears more dangerous (+<wolf-level> to each attack of maul, and it can stack with spells like growth), but it also works on trained units.  So each figure of each unit gets an attack buff; if you have 4 spearmen, the unit basically gets 4 * <wolf-level> to attack.  The wolf itself is fairly fragile, but if you can keep it alive while you level it up, it's arguably the most powerful unit in the game.  E.g. with endgame tech, if a level 20 great wolf is in an army with 8 other units, each of which has 6 figures in it, the wolf can effectively buff the total offensive strength of the army by 6*8*20=960. 

Of course, this is balanced by the fragility of the unit; it's nearly impossible to get one to that high a level without save-scumming whenever it gets killed by magic/ranged units (and this will be even worse with the new shills).

May 13, 2013 10:42:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I did a test change to some of the paths and I am going to relate it here because it seemed to work pretty well.  I removed all of the mage traits and put the four elemental paths within the mage tree and the life/death path within the defender tree.  Additionally I moved some of the defender traits to the warrior path and commander path where it seemed to fit.  Finally I put all of the adept magic traits in the general tree and fully selectable.  So any sov can be a magic adept within the magic trees that they want to but to be a true magic wielder you have to be a mage.   Anywho it seems to work pretty well, while also adding more magic while limiting the really powerful spells to only mages.

May 13, 2013 10:48:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When is this patch being deployed?

May 13, 2013 11:58:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hoping to see a fix for the unit upgrade screen in this patch, it's quite annoying having to click on each desired upgrade as is currently.

May 13, 2013 11:59:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,

"Removed some unintended Soldiers Cloaks that were forcing crystal costs on some units (Pariden spearmen, etc)"

Are the cloaks removed from the soldiers, or from the game? Thanks for clarifying!

Removed form the units.  The soliders cloak is still in the game and available for unit design.

May 13, 2013 1:20:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Removed the wage cost form Knights of Asok, Mercenaries (gained from the camp) and Hunters

This is good.  The KoA are way over-priced compared to their power.  They are a huge drain on gildar.

May 13, 2013 1:34:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One other change- AI is starting to use strategic spells more- AI managed to freeze my army in place quite effectively just now.

As for the Knights of Asok, by the time you get Alliances they are pretty useless.

Maybe they should be a group of 7 instead of 3.

May 13, 2013 2:07:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, I'm also in favor of making all the spells in the mage trait lines be buffed by the appropriate shards.  This would add some additional strategy to consider, and it would also help non-Pariden Mages get some useful spells outside their known lines.

I have also wondered whether it wouldn't be helpful to have some more ways of getting the "spellbooks" in the game rather than simply from the Pariden merchants.  Maybe some additional quests or as loot?  I have never seen a spellbook drop as loot.

May 13, 2013 2:16:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

All the Armor Proficiencies for Defenders, Warriors, Commanders and Assassins are at the front of the trait tree with level prereqs on them instead of being blocked by other traits

THANK YOU. This is a very welcome tweak.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: