Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+173

*** Released 05/13/2013 ***

Fixes

Switched the Treasure Map quest to use the new quest dialog correctly

Fixed an issue keeping Abeix from giving Sunderer when defeated

Fixed issue where turn limit achievement did not unlock

Fixed issue where quest complete wnd would pop out of order for completion of the master quest

Fixed some save/load crashes

Fixed an issue causing Rain Of Arrows to cause an animation hang (10 second delay)

Balance

Higher level monsters now give more xp to keep leveling from slowing down at higher levels (if you are killing higher level stuff)

Removed the defense from monks robes and increased the dodge form +5 to +10 (this is mostly to get the monks robe out of the auto upgrades since it was making units require crystal)

Shrills are now more likely to be found in mixed groups (not 3 fire shrills but 2 fire shrills and an earth shrill, etc)

Umber loses the Stealth faction trait and gains Warriors

Removed the cooldown from the Fire Shrills Embers ability

Removed the cooldown from the Water Shrills Slow ability

Removed the cooldown from the Air Shrills Static Blast ability

Reduced the damage on Static Blast slightly

Removed some unintended Soldiers Cloaks that were forcing crystal costs on some units (Pariden spearmen, etc)

More variety of tactical maps in deserts

Units don’t start so scattered on desert maps

Lowered the tax rate at the highest setting form 0.9 to 0.8

All the Armor Proficiencies for Defenders, Warriors, Commanders and Assassins are at the front of the trait tree with level prereqs on them instead of being blocked by other traits

Pariden Monk special unit loses Armor Proficiency 2 and gains Lithe

Ward of Health increased to ++7 hp (from +5 hp)

Champion's Spear is now a Common drop (instead of Uncommon)

Ruined Chain Shirt Defense increased to 5 (from 3)

Removed the wage cost form Knights of Asok, Mercenaries (gained from the camp) and Hunters

Rain of Arrows can now be used if you have allies in range (though it won't hurt your allies)

Scenario

Fixed an issue causing lairs to spawn monsters every turn (which alos led to some significant late game performance issues)

Fixed an issue causing Magnar’s capital to not get any yields

Fixed an issue that allowed the AI to trigger the Guardian Statues

New final battle

Added a seperate Yithril faction for the invasion forces (and adjusted objectives to better guide the player)

Karavox won't Broken Loyalties your cities in the scenario

Locked Post 62 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 12, 2013 12:00:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fixed an issue causing lairs to spawn monsters every turn (which alos led to some significant late game performance issues)

Wow, that explains what I'm seeing in the scenario with parts of the map covered in monster mobs.  Thanks!

May 12, 2013 12:16:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So all the shrills will be able to cast their particular elemental spell every turn? Do I understand that correctly?

I hope you upgraded the rating for the groups they appear in.

May 12, 2013 12:26:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good to see that higher level opponents are giving more XP.

May 12, 2013 1:01:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OH GOD SO MUCH PAIN FROM THE SHRILLS OF DOOM

Seriously, fighting shrills is going to hurt now.  I do hope their challenge rating has been buffed comparably.

May 12, 2013 1:17:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This will be insane regarding the fire and air shrills. On higher difficulty settings they already deal a lot of damage with those spells (18 non resisted for example on expert). If they also keep the targeting mechanic of hit whatever unit is injured, means you will lose 1 unit no matter what until end game when your units hp / equipment will allow them to survive.

Not to mention you get at a point in game resists for fire and cold, but there's nothing against lightning.

Could you please make Chain Lightning (or lightning strike whatever the name is, the one that does 10 dmg in 5 squares long) to get power from air shards? Because it becomes lackluster compared to other damaging spells really fast in the game - on normal world diff, if you play higher difficulties don't even bother with it, what's the point of doing up to 10 damage (Even if you hit 5 units) to enemies with 80+ hp, when you could cast a fireball instead. It just doesn't compare. Fireball also has the potential to hit more than 5 targets, and is easier to aim / use.

Back to shrills. So what will make those pests to actually use melee from now on if they can just spam magic damage instead? Why use a weak attack reduced by defense, when you can just pop those static / firespits and chain kill stuff. Will they have a mana pool at least? Or lower initiative so you actually have a chance to do something before your army disintegrates?

Regarding the monsters of higher levels giving more xp. If am not mistaken, currently the monsters just increase their army size as time passes. Maybe they could gain levels as well?

May 12, 2013 1:38:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

The removal of the cooldown is too much in my opinion. It would be better to keep the effects of their spells and reduce the cooldown to 3 turns. This cooldown should be apllied to all abilities to make them more useful.

Please remove the spells from the aeromancy, geomancy, ... abilities. They should be in the spellbooks to give players an early damage spell that scales with the number of shards (lightningbolt > air 2) and defensive spells against elemental damage (protection from fire > fire 3 and protection from cold > water 3).

Aeromancy, geomancy, ... should work like volcanic rites and increase the damage of the element by 20 %. Volcanic rites should be removed and evoker IV should be removed, too, to balance the increased damage.

May 12, 2013 2:49:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Water shrills will probably Marin Karin their slow spell, and be easier to kill.

I have to agree that volcanic rites should be removed.  I'd suggest instead that the mancys increase shard power of spells cast by +1 or +2 with a 2nd level.    This will help with non-damage spells.

Not sure I agree on the removal of spells from the mancys, but mancys should only have disciple of the appropiate element as a prereq.  (I'm assuming this can be done)

Right now, FE is tempting me to try modding for the first time, just from all the minor balance/fun issues the game has that are easily fixable.  The big stuff has been nailed down for the most part (except for late game tedium, which might be impossible)

Upgrading sizes of units needs to cost a lot more than it does as well.  give me a choice I'll upgrade size of unit over weaponry, and especially armor, which is super-expensive (armor should cost less)

May 12, 2013 3:22:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not agreeing with this. Aeromancy / hydromancy / geomancy should not be tied to spell lines. They provide buffs which should be open to any specialization of spellcasters (as they are now). I don't want to be forced to hope I will get a water or earth mage hero at some point in future so I can cast a spell from hydromancy or geomancy.

And 5 turn cooldown is fine as it is no idea why you feel it needs to be shorter CD. You do have to use your weapons (on troops / heroes) as well not just spam trait skills.

Regarding the upgrading size of units - all they need to do is add the extra resources (crystal / mounts / metal) for the number of units being added to the group, in rest is perfectly fine. It doesn't have to be mathematical accurate compared to what would cost to produce the said unit, this is a fantasy universe after all and you're a powerful chanenler  

What I would like to see for spell schools and ranks of progression, is some sort of benefit from going from disciple to master apart from unlocking the 3 new additional spells.

Regarding mancies - they should also scale with the rank of mastery the caster has in the specified spell school. Aeromancy shouldn't be useless for a non air mage, but should be a bit more powerful / effective for a specialized air mage.

May 12, 2013 3:55:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
I have to agree that volcanic rites should be removed.  I'd suggest instead that the mancys increase shard power of spells cast by +1 or +2 with a 2nd level. This will help with non-damage spells.

Not sure I agree on the removal of spells from the mancys, but mancys should only have disciple of the appropiate element as a prereq.  (I'm assuming this can be done)

Yeah, it would be better if aeromancy, geomancy, ... would increase the number of shards, but i think shards are a global resource and the bonus of multiple mages would stack.

I think spells should be available to everyone who has the spellbook, because a game should have a consistend design.

Quoting Anelyn,
And 5 turn cooldown is fine as it is no idea why you feel it needs to be shorter CD. You do have to use your weapons (on troops / heroes) as well not just spam trait skills.

0.91 will not reduce the cooldowns to 3 turns. It will REMOVE the cooldowns of the shrill abilities and that is too much in my opinion.

May 12, 2013 4:29:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wizard1200, your quote was referring to lowering the 5 turn cd on abilities to 3 turn cd on all abilities from your previous post - with which I do not agree (it's my opinion after all). Moving and attacking, defending, retreating, flanking, all need to play an important part in the game outside of race / hero specific traits (which are more of a flavor - something useful but not overpowered, to give you some diversity).

You can't say geez I would have won that battle if my wraith touch had 3 turns cd instead of 5. If you think that, then you should review your strategy and tactical approach to fights, because it's really not the case

May 12, 2013 4:40:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,
Wizard1200, your quote was referring to lowering the 5 turn cd on abilities to 3 turn cd on all abilities from your previous post - with which I do not agree (it's my opinion after all).

Oh ok, i misunderstood you.

May 12, 2013 8:01:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you're fixing units designs... The Pariden monk has plate proficiency, and I don't know why since it doesn't upgrade or wear any armour and as it is costs 10 extra labour.

May 12, 2013 9:08:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

*** Unreleased ***

Shrills, the new wolfpack. This will make them much stronger than they are now.

I would like to see the cool down removed or reduced on some spells to counter this.

May 12, 2013 9:41:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would have preferred seeing the more HPs given to the elementals they usually accompany. That offered more strategic choices: which do you deal with, the elemental first, or the little nuisances who could still wreck havoc by launching a spell at a poorly timed moment? If the cooldown's removed, the threat becomes more leveled out between elementals and shrills, and less interesting.

Shrills as they were, were kind of fun. Little one-shot glass cannons, impressing by numbers and an ability to launch some really useful maluses. If you want to beef them up, I'd sooner see them get a second spell. Or a one-turn reduction in the cooldown.

May 12, 2013 10:12:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm really concerned that the AI will fail hard when using abilities with no cooldowns.

Already bandits will surround a unit, then all throw knives at it from melee range, doing far less damage than just hitting it. Ogres also will throw rocks at melee range targets when just bashing them is by far smarter. Black widows never attack the first two turns and by the time they are done webbing and bedazzling my melee units have ripped them apart.

Its easy to picture water shrills endlessly slowing (even targeting a immune to magic unit) while they get taken apart.

May 12, 2013 10:32:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Stupidity10,
Already bandits will surround a unit, then all throw knives at it from melee range, doing far less damage than just hitting it. Ogres also will throw rocks at melee range targets when just bashing them is by far smarter. Black widows never attack the first two turns and by the time they are done webbing and bedazzling my melee units have ripped them apart

The bandit bit has some merit (not much anymore), but the thrown knife does prevent a counter attack from the unit. Although, this should take into account the enemies weapon they are using. Does the enemy have a counter attack... if so throw knife, otherwise smack it.

I would prefer the AI to utilize the move and then action. Namely, I can move then throw my knife. This would open up a world of hurt on a player if the AI started moving and actioning up. Currently it is either action or move. This move then action may open up a lot more possibilities in general on the tatical field, but the programming involved might not be too much at this point. It will probably involve rewriting a lot of code.

May 12, 2013 10:49:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
I would prefer the AI to utilize the move and then action.

Enemy archers are doing this already.

May 12, 2013 11:29:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
*** Unreleased ***

Higher level monsters now give more xp to keep leveling from slowing down at higher levels (if you are killing higher level stuff)

Take care with this one...

I obtained one of them beast collars and took over a Albino Rock spider (strong) with my level 2 hero. Pow! 3 level ups (and the spider)

Made for a very OP start.

May 12, 2013 11:30:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
*** Unreleased ***

Um...

Does this mean shrills are going to be blasting every round now?

Pack on the magic resistance...

May 12, 2013 11:34:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
*** Unreleased ***

Lowered the tax rate at the highest setting form 0.9 to 0.8

Could we please also have a tax option in between 0.0 and 0.4 ?

In addition, is there validity to having a 0.0 tax? It negates so much of your economy....even your city enchantments. Please consider having 0.1, 0.3, and 0.5.

May 12, 2013 11:50:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why is this not pinned to the board? Oblivious.

Also please fix the Questlog not updating.

And please do make the ingame help (Hiergamemmon) useful. As it is now, it adds NOTHING at all to the game except the same information i already recieve by hovering over stuff or seeing the spelldescription in the spellbook. Even less! It does not display any remotely useful information or anything. No damagetype, no damage, no cooldown, no nothing for any spell at all. It does not display bonusses from materials and or ressources. It does not contain any pages longer than 3 sentences (okay I probably exaggerated).

But all in all it is not the useful ressource it is intended to be.

In short words: The Hiergamemmon is useless.

May 12, 2013 12:08:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anelyn,
Could you please make Chain Lightning (or lightning strike whatever the name is, the one that does 10 dmg in 5 squares long) to get power from air shards? Because it becomes lackluster compared to other damaging spells really fast in the game - on normal world diff, if you play higher difficulties don't even bother with it, what's the point of doing up to 10 damage (Even if you hit 5 units) to enemies with 80+ hp, when you could cast a fireball instead. It just doesn't compare. Fireball also has the potential to hit more than 5 targets, and is easier to aim / use.

You're thinking of Lightning Bolt, and yes it is rather pathetic without an Air Mana modifier at the moment.

May 12, 2013 12:44:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the scenario I would like to see western Yithril get a champion or 2, and to have the scenario log update after you beat them. Perhaps they could even be their own team so they get a sovereign of their own. Might be easier then trying to balance splitting them in 2.

May 12, 2013 1:33:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i think yithril in the scenario should be modified slightly. not sure how, but their juggernauts are by far the greatest threat on the whole scenario map. when i invaded the eastern continent, resoln and kraxis fell like dominos; the same for magnar's endless waves of fairly useless slave units. not so much for yithril. i was pretty shocked when i conquered one of magnars cities and next turn, 2 "epic" rated stacks of 8 juggernauts each entered the borders of my newly conquered cities. i'm no novice to this game, so i managed to destroy them with a combination of strategic spells and some dirty tricks in tactical (defender champ with "invincible" + several companies of yew bow archers). an new player who doesn't know the game inside out would probably get his ass handed at his point. wiping out those two stacks dropped their faction power from ~400 to ~230 in a single turn. maybe block the juggernaut techs for the scenario and give them some extra iron nodes in their starting zones so they can build more manageable normal trog units?

May 12, 2013 2:00:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

quoting post*** Unreleased ***

Take care with this one...

I obtained one of them beast collars and took over a Albino Rock spider (strong) with my level 2 hero. Pow! 3 level ups (and the spider)

Made for a very OP start.

Doesn't seem right that taming a high level beast should net you (and the beast itself) XP. I'm not going to complain too much, but seems strange.

Also, I can't confirm this, but do tamed beasts have a maintenance cost?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time: