[.90 Bug] Scenario - units cannot move

By on May 10, 2013 4:25:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Publius of NV

Join Date 08/2002
+75

On turn 173, I received a message that Kraxis had captured my capitol.  There was no battle for the city, and I had not observed any Kraxis units near it, although there were several syndicate units nearby.  Immediately after that message, without control returning to me, I got another message that Altar had captured the Kraxis city of Athica, which was the capitol that had just been captured by Kraxis.  Again, no battle for the city.

The first thing I noticed was that all enchantments on the city had been dispelled, and the improvement it was building had been cancelled.  After rectifying that, I noticed a more severe problem - none of my units could move even though they had movement points left, and the turn button would not advance the turn.  I could still scroll around the map, change city build queues, etc, but could not move any units or go to the next turn.

I'd supply a saved game, except that loading the game saved from that point doesn't show the problem - I can now move units and continue the game.  I still have the saved game in case it would be of use.

Locked Post 21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 10, 2013 4:38:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ive never seen that, but i will keep an eye out for it.  If anyone has a reproduceable save of this I would love to see it.

May 10, 2013 4:54:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder if Kraxis used his steal city spell and that caused some issues...

May 10, 2013 6:11:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
I wonder if Kraxis used his steal city spell and that caused some issues...

I was wondering the same thing, but then the scenario would have to have forced the city back to me, since I did nothing to regain it.  If the scenario is somehow doing that, the problem could lie in that code.

May 10, 2013 6:20:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Exactly... I recommend for the case of the scenario that Kraxis power to steal cities be disabled.

May 10, 2013 8:22:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It happened to me also. The save labeled "test" is from the turn previous to the city captured by Kraxis. The debug.err is included.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1g5j9yjt6w32a1f/CYVk2YK6-E

May 10, 2013 10:13:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This happened to me again later in the same game.  This time, Kraxis took my city, the game took it back for me in the same turn (without me doing anything), but this time I'm able to continue to move units.

May 10, 2013 10:37:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In case it helps, this save should reproduce the situation where Kraxis takes Athica and then Athica is automatically taken back.  I've loaded that save 3 times and each time, about 2 or 3 turns afterwards it happens.

May 11, 2013 8:38:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have not had K steal any of my cities, but I have seem messages that seem to indicate an occurrence much like that discussed above between Kraxis and another AI.

May 11, 2013 12:57:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It just happened again.  Kraxis cast his spell and took one of my cities (this time not the capitol), but the city was not automatically returned to me.  The units in it were ejected, and I was able to use them to retake the city.  After that I could not move any of my units nor advance the turn.  Saving and reloading allowed me to move again.

May 11, 2013 5:03:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Happened yet again.  I'm gonna have to go kill Kraxis to get this to stop.

May 12, 2013 10:16:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is being reported on the Steam forums as well. Is everyone experiencing this able to continue the game after saving and reloading?

May 12, 2013 10:17:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Publius of NV,

Happened yet again.  I'm gonna have to go kill Kraxis to get this to stop.

Good plan, think I'll follow your advice. Kraxis dies first.

May 12, 2013 11:15:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandalftheredskin,
Is everyone experiencing this able to continue the game after saving and reloading?

That gets around it every time for me, so far.

May 12, 2013 11:16:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandalftheredskin,
Good plan, think I'll follow your advice. Kraxis dies first.

Took a while, but now he's dead, Jim.  I won't be reporting any more of these

May 12, 2013 11:30:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
YEs, save and reload frees up the frozen units. Its just a pain getting steam offline to 'let go' of an already closed LH game.
May 12, 2013 11:59:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
Its just a pain getting steam offline to 'let go' of an already closed LH game.

It speeds it up if you turn off the cloud sync in Steam.

May 13, 2013 12:04:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Oh, I always play off line, except last turn of game to get 'achievements.' Its a pain because after I close the game, steam is still running in off line mode... and it hangs, and hangs for a long time. Logging off forces off-line steam to let go of my PC.
May 13, 2013 12:24:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
Oh, I always play off line, except last turn of game to get 'achievements.'

Ah, thanks for the information.  I have not yet played in offline mode, so I didn't know that.

May 13, 2013 1:01:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Publius of NV,

Quoting ElanaAhova, reply 17Oh, I always play off line, except last turn of game to get 'achievements.'

Ah, thanks for the information.  I have not yet played in offline mode, so I didn't know that.

Ah, just curious, why do you play EH with internet active?  Doesn't it slow the game down? (and increase your rigs exposure to the possible malware intrusions).  Just curious...  Its why I stay off line as much as possible...  I will look inot (as you suggest) sync-to cloud on steam...

May 13, 2013 2:06:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
Ah, just curious, why do you play EH with internet active?

Perhaps I'm not as paranoid as I should be?  I have a firewall on my router, I have a firewall on my laptop, and my antivirus has never reported a threat.  Maybe I should not trust them?

May 13, 2013 8:07:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Silly me, of course you have protection!  (Did I really just write that,,, lol. )I'm the one who is paranoid. Actually I mostly do it to cut down on system resources being used in the background.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: