[.87] Bandit Lord is better but still sucks

By on May 6, 2013 12:38:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

BernieTime

Join Date 10/2009
+10

Was super happy to see Bandit Lord get a Recruit Bandit Skill (as I recommended last year), and tying the skill to Gildar was genius.  Problem is, unlike Beasts, you're never really likely to run across more than 1-2 Bandit spawn points (if you're lucky) in most games when it counts.

A couple of thoughts to shore up the Profession

Recruitment! - A Bandit Lord only spell, costing money (not mana), will spawn a random # of bandit units (1-3) at one of your cities (also at random).  Thinking 50 gold?

Bandit group size should be upgradeable.  This could be either naturally on level up or have the player burn some money/fame representing your notoriety.  Cost could scale depending on current group size.

Side Note/Tangent;  This is why I think more work needs to be done on Balancing the General Traits Tree.  If Generic Summon enhancment skills were in the General Tree, then a BeastMaster, Bandit Lord, etc..  would be able to benefit without specifically being limited to selecting the Mage Trait line.  Creature Summons should still be in non-General Trait Trees, but you should see the benefits of rethinking how the Trait Trees function.

I'd prefer to keep the level up as is, but give a "free" Tree pick (General/Other) when a path is chosen, then on each 4th level earned, get another Free Trait pick.  This would help alleviate what feels to be a god awful slow leveling process.  But I digress..

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2013 3:06:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it should be a tactical spell in the path of the assassin tree that summons a group of bandits.

May 6, 2013 8:37:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Monster lairs should spawn at random throughout the game. That'd solve a lot of problems, and probably continue the supply of bandits to recruit. 

Hasn't the "Recruit Bandit" ability always been there? I used it back in FE.

May 6, 2013 11:09:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davrovana,
Monster lairs should spawn at random throughout the game.

+100

Ideally, give us a slider to determine the frequency of this occurring, as well as a slider to set spawn rates for existing lairs.

May 6, 2013 12:21:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yeah, while the starting bandits are 'nicer' (swords rather than clubs) and the ability to convert them is entirely gildar based (as the bandit units aren't 'great'), it would be nice to boost this profession as there's just not enough bandits to go around.

Another thing that can be done is to extend 'bandit' to include the Syndicate and other mob spawns that might fit the package (all 'men' types, no actual monster types).

May 6, 2013 12:44:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why not just change it from Bandit Lord to Mercenary Lord then you can just convert any bandit captured to a merc and have a summon merc spell that costs gold just like the letter of writ that already exists.  If you are a merc lord the mercs you get from the camps cost a reduced upkeep.

May 6, 2013 11:18:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem with targeting types is that Bandits are not Ruffians are not Mercs are not Men.  Whereas Spiders and Umberdroths and Bears and Wolves (and a lot more) are all Beasts.  In FE there wasn't any really effective way to have a spell target a creature's subtype (Bear would be a subtype of Beast).

May 7, 2013 7:29:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

spiders and umberdoths and bears, oh my!

May 7, 2013 11:34:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bandit Lord as

Quoting SBFMadDjinn,

yeah, while the starting bandits are 'nicer' (swords rather than clubs) and the ability to convert them is entirely gildar based (as the bandit units aren't 'great'), it would be nice to boost this profession as there's just not enough bandits to go around.

Another thing that can be done is to extend 'bandit' to include the Syndicate and other mob spawns that might fit the package (all 'men' types, no actual monster types).

Quoting halmal242,

Why not just change it from Bandit Lord to Mercenary Lord then you can just convert any bandit captured to a merc and have a summon merc spell that costs gold just like the letter of writ that already exists.  If you are a merc lord the mercs you get from the camps cost a reduced upkeep.

These are great ideas.  I would go further and give them the ability to enlist Trolls and Ogres, like a fantasy version of Robin Hood's Little John... or Fezzik from the Princess Bride (You are the Brute Squad!)

Perhaps a bandit lord can buy Letters of Marque in his shop?  Or instead of building Settlers he builds cheap bandit troops to take over other cities in an early Zerg rush?  (Founds only original city.)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000688   Page Render Time: