Free troops

By on April 29, 2013 6:18:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

random_thou...

Join Date 03/2013
+1

So I was playing [LH, version 0.85] a warlord (-50% troop costs) and I forced Warlord Verga to surrender. Suddenly my troops were free!

Now if only there were a third warlord in this game ...

Locked Post 13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 29, 2013 6:30:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I'd rally to the banner of the Sovereign who defeated the mighty Trog Warlord!   

April 29, 2013 6:45:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you had a third warlord, you could build trained units as a source of income - who needs markets when your paid mercenaries instead pay you?

I think you should go make a game with a bunch of custom factions, each of which are headed by a Warlord Sovereign. Who knows, maybe you could even get your troop upkeep costs down to -200%, where they are paying YOU twice what you used to pay them for the privilege of fighting and dying at your command.

April 29, 2013 6:51:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting animageous,

If you had a third warlord, you could build trained units as a source of income - who needs markets when your paid mercenaries instead pay you?

I think you should go make a game with a bunch of custom factions, each of which are headed by a Warlord Sovereign. Who knows, maybe you could even get your troop upkeep costs down to -200%, where they are paying YOU twice what you used to pay them for the privilege of fighting and dying at your command.

What would Milo Minderbinder do?  Hey... there is a Syndicate in the game...

April 30, 2013 4:04:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting animageous,

I think that the Mercenary Camps and the Knights of Asok are useful after all!

April 30, 2013 4:27:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting. I thougt that bonus would be multiplicativa and not additive

April 30, 2013 4:30:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OliverFA_306,

I was under the impression that everything percentage in this game was additive 

April 30, 2013 5:20:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mmm thats a bit of an issue.  Probably should be that those profession abilities don't count or are deleted for any Sov's that join you through surrender.

Even looking at Scholar which is now a profession.  Does it make sense that you get +20% research when you conquer a faction and their beaten up Sov decides to reluctantly join you.... probably not.

April 30, 2013 7:01:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting abob101,
Even looking at Scholar which is now a profession.  Does it make sense that you get +20% research when you conquer a faction and their beaten up Sov decides to reluctantly join you.... probably not.

It surely does!

Evidently, what happens is the brilliant scientists of that defeated nation fled the capitol when you brutally razed it to the ground. Displaced, disenfranchised, and without the resources or wherewithal to carry on their groundbreaking work (which was ultimately unused by their layabout supreme leader, more interested was he in wasting his time experimenting with Juggernaut genetic engineering and organo-plasmoid Tarth camoflauge), they decide to join your burgeoning empire, keen to carry on the work and knowing that, though you are a cruel and merciless Sovereign who will inevitably demand for them to turn their efforts to even greater war machines and deadly weapons of mite destruction (WMDs), you respect their scientific integrity enough to pay and treat them well.

That, and it's better than being devoured by a wandering dragon.

April 30, 2013 7:10:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting animageous,

Quoting abob101, reply 7Even looking at Scholar which is now a profession.  Does it make sense that you get +20% research when you conquer a faction and their beaten up Sov decides to reluctantly join you.... probably not.

It surely does!

Evidently, what happens is the brilliant scientists of that defeated nation fled the capitol when you brutally razed it to the ground. Displaced, disenfranchised, and without the resources or wherewithal to carry on their groundbreaking work (which was ultimately unused by their layabout supreme leader, more interested was he in wasting his time experimenting with Juggernaut genetic engineering and organo-plasmoid Tarth camoflauge), they decide to join your burgeoning empire, keen to carry on the work and knowing that, though you are a cruel and merciless Sovereign who will inevitably demand for them to turn their efforts to even greater war machines and deadly weapons of mite destruction (WMDs), you respect their scientific integrity enough to pay and treat them well.

That, and it's better than being devoured by a wandering dragon.

That is exactly what Werner Von Braun did after the WW2.  He didn't want to get eaten by a Red Dragon! 

I love how Peter Sellers alluded to it in Dr. Strangelove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww7WlSPi9gc

April 30, 2013 9:30:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

April 30, 2013 9:39:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've had this happen before, It's quite nice  

April 30, 2013 4:30:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting animageous,

Quoting OliverFA_306, reply 5

I was under the impression that everything percentage in this game was additive 

Many things are, many aren't.

For instance, the Accuracy and Dodge bonuses from the Lucky faction trait are multiplicative, as is the Dodge bonus from the Shrink spell, but a lot are additive when you wouldn't expect.

For instance, I just noted that the Vital Strike series of bonuses are additive (on crit chance, at least; there is no visible stat for crit damage). I'd fully expected them to be cumulative, like with Reap!

May 6, 2013 12:59:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yes, nice when it happens.... merks with smerks...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time: