FE:LH Let's Play - Nighthawk here!

By on April 28, 2013 3:28:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N1ghthavvk

Join Date 12/2012
+13

Hello there my fellow forum visitors,

I played FE:LH for quite a bit now and I wanted to make a Let's Play for it, because it is so awesome! And I always wanted to make one.

Here is my introduction video on youtube:

Now since this is my first Let's Play of any kind: I'll appreciate any kind of advice, suggestions or notes you guys can provide for me.

I am planning to use a custom race and sovereign and for that I would like all of your suggestions!

Thank you for reading and watching and please do suggest anything!

(Please note that I am no native english speaker so my voice and accent isn't optimal)

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 28, 2013 7:00:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, it's a good start. I've often considered trying to make a LP video but have just never gotten around to learning to use the recording software, so appreciate those who take the time to do so.

First note, your voice is fine, has a good timbre, and clear pronunciation. I'd suggest more commentary, not less.

Suggestions, assuming you're making this primarily for newer players, but not inexperienced:

Settings - Keep it simple, normal or challenging difficulty, medium or smaller world, and default settings for everything else. Though I play on dense/epic, that can lead to a short game. Which might be fun to watch too, come to think of it.

Custom faction and Sovereign - I keep tweaking the ones I'm using based on whatever changes the latest build brings, so far this is my hands down favorite.

Race: Altar - Henchmen, XP bonus, the Rush ability, nothing but goodness. They remind me of the Grigori from FFH.

Traits: Enchanters, Lucky, Master Scouts, Quick, Rebels - I'd probably take Lucky just for the dodge bonus, Enchanters and Scouts are two of the strongest traits available, and Quick synergises with the Sovereign's Tactician. Rebels are because I never worry about Unrest, easy weakness to work around, especially with Henchmen. I do plan to try the No Ranged weakness next game, because my last few games I find myself not building archers.

Sovereign: General, Air Apprentice, Earth Apprentice, Brilliant, Tactician, Clumsy, Procipinee's Crown, War Staff - Air and Earth give you a selection of great buffs as well as the life saving Tremor and Tornado, General and Brilliant mesh perfectly with the Altar blood, as Tactician does with Lucky and Rush. Old what's her name's Crown lets you take upkeep free advantage of the great hero enchantments, particularly Tutelage and Evade. Choose the Mage path, with Knowledge as the first skill, followed by Air II for Tutelage, followed by the XP line, then nothing but Air until it's maxed and you can Tornado your worries away. Fit Earth II for Tremor in there if needed. Steal or buy Fire then work the Evoker line. Sure, it's cheesy, but it works quite well, and with XP being like hen's teeth, it's sure to get you, and a hero or two to cover your missing schools, a relatively quick rise through the early ranks.

Other thoughts: I enjoy LP vids, especially those that encourage participation from fellow gamers, so good idea there. Possibly you could base certain critical decisions during the game on advice from the crowd, keeping an interactive feel throughout. Things such as build order, research priorities, or whether to move north rather than south could be your breakpoints for the next vid, allowing you to gather more communal input.

Didn't expect to write a treatise, just a few thoughts. Hope they're useful, and you have a new subscriber.

April 29, 2013 1:55:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow thank you Gandalf for your kind words, I sure want to keep community input up especially concerning game decisions. I'll follow your advice I think.

I didn't talk much during the Intro particularly because it is just too epic to talk during it!

I will try to put the first episode up as soon as possible.Any thoughts on a good length? I don't want to make it too short nor long (boring). I was thinking along 30 minutes or something like that.

April 29, 2013 3:32:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandalftheredskin,

Well, it's a good start. I've often considered trying to make a LP video but have just never gotten around to learning to use the recording software, so appreciate those who take the time to do so.

First note, your voice is fine, has a good timbre, and clear pronunciation. I'd suggest more commentary, not less.

Suggestions, assuming you're making this primarily for newer players, but not inexperienced:

Settings - Keep it simple, normal or challenging difficulty, medium or smaller world, and default settings for everything else. Though I play on dense/epic, that can lead to a short game. Which might be fun to watch too, come to think of it.

Custom faction and Sovereign - I keep tweaking the ones I'm using based on whatever changes the latest build brings, so far this is my hands down favorite.

Race: Altar - Henchmen, XP bonus, the Rush ability, nothing but goodness. They remind me of the Grigori from FFH.

Traits: Enchanters, Lucky, Master Scouts, Quick, Rebels - I'd probably take Lucky just for the dodge bonus, Enchanters and Scouts are two of the strongest traits available, and Quick synergises with the Sovereign's Tactician. Rebels are because I never worry about Unrest, easy weakness to work around, especially with Henchmen. I do plan to try the No Ranged weakness next game, because my last few games I find myself not building archers.

Sovereign: General, Air Apprentice, Earth Apprentice, Brilliant, Tactician, Clumsy, Procipinee's Crown, War Staff - Air and Earth give you a selection of great buffs as well as the life saving Tremor and Tornado, General and Brilliant mesh perfectly with the Altar blood, as Tactician does with Lucky and Rush. Old what's her name's Crown lets you take upkeep free advantage of the great hero enchantments, particularly Tutelage and Evade. Choose the Mage path, with Knowledge as the first skill, followed by Air II for Tutelage, followed by the XP line, then nothing but Air until it's maxed and you can Tornado your worries away. Fit Earth II for Tremor in there if needed. Steal or buy Fire then work the Evoker line. Sure, it's cheesy, but it works quite well, and with XP being like hen's teeth, it's sure to get you, and a hero or two to cover your missing schools, a relatively quick rise through the early ranks.

Other thoughts: I enjoy LP vids, especially those that encourage participation from fellow gamers, so good idea there. Possibly you could base certain critical decisions during the game on advice from the crowd, keeping an interactive feel throughout. Things such as build order, research priorities, or whether to move north rather than south could be your breakpoints for the next vid, allowing you to gather more communal input.

Didn't expect to write a treatise, just a few thoughts. Hope they're useful, and you have a new subscriber.

holy crap. thats just awesome advice. gonna give this a shot right now. got me excited. gonna make my hero look like robb starrk from game of thrones

sad he dies next episode D:

April 29, 2013 8:54:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gandalf's build seems pretty powerful. when i make custom factions, i avoid picking more than one of the big 3 OP traits (encahnters/lucky/master scouts). there's nothing wrong with picking all 3 of them, but i think the game feels less cheesy if you don't.

my last custom faction i played was a krax kingdom with defensive, enchanters, scholars, warrior caste, light plate and no ranged weapons. the sov was adept, brilliant, life 2, scholar.

was great fun. enchanters gives you a very solid economy (of course you want to grab earth and air asap on your first champions if your sov doesn't have them). krax blood and defensive combined with a healer sov means you can handle almost anything in tactical. killed a drake (+ 4 pack drake groups) on turn 80 or so with nothing but 4 spearmen units and my starting militia.

the double research boost is very noticable, too. quickly ran away with the game.

for that game, i made my sov a healer/supporter mage. life mage is really awesome because you don't need a very high level to be useful. once you get heal and compassion, you can start healing your guys efficiently. then you pick up shrink and wellspring and you can handle almost everything - shrink the big bad guy and just heal your fortified guys through all the damage they take. prodigy 1-3 and savant are also useful picks as you advance; in that game, i also had a pariden neighbor, so i picked a water spellbook. synergizes very well with the other traits. mantle of oceans makes your spells ridiculously cheap and slow and pandemonium are both cheap and super efficient debuffs. with prodigy and brilliant, resist chance is very low, so you can totally cripple the big bad guys by killing their initiative and shrinking them (for 50% att reduction). the savant perk is basically the crowning moment of that build - with that perk, your AoE heal and your AoE debuff are now both instant cast. the core build is basically finsihed around level 10; at that point you can kill almost everywhing with a few cheap footsoldiers. spam instant AoE heal for 5 mana/cast after crippling the biggest threats with slow & shrink.

after ~level 10 you can basically do whatever you want; fill the life & water schools, pick up a fire book (if available) and go for fireball & evoker, pick up some summoning, pick utility spells (abjuration & hydromancy are pretty useful for example)

was really funny. i highly recommend trying a healer/supporter. you don't really need much to make it work and it's really powerful.

May 4, 2013 9:23:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hello guys. I am back again.

I didn't have much time apart from university so please excuse my upload speed.

But today I found the time to start the series off with a new faction. I basically intended to go the summoner life supporter route with this game so that I would never have to build any units at all.

Let us see how it goes.

So anyways here is the link to the new video and also the playlist where I will store all upcoming video parts as well.

This video is about 50min long I don't know if that is too much, I intended it for only 30mins but alas I didn't watch the clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOuQL7X--bg&list=PLmhVJ2ouqus6V3_Gc37cNyUTT5hMQ4Z8x

And this is the playlist.

I also have another question for you out here: Would you like me to stream my sessions on twitch? Meaning you guys could be live there in the chat and talk to me. This will decrease the speed at which I could play during each session because I do not have a second monitor for the chat so I would have to switch back and forth between the game and the chat. Of course the video would still be uploaded to youtube.

Please do provide feedback on what I should improve. Thank you!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: