[Suggestion] Regicide victory option

By on April 26, 2013 6:04:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

stein220

Join Date 12/2008
+12

It's too perfect.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before (probably someone else did but I missed it), but a cool option would be to have a buffed up sovereign, but if they fall in battle, the faction is defeated (AI or player controlled). The sovereigns should probably have extra health and maybe start with a few extra-levels.  This would give you the incentive of bringing them out to fight from time-to-time (throw in faster leveling?), creating an interesting risk/reward dynamic.

If an AI faction is defeated, I guess either their cities could go away (I think they do this already if an AI player surrenders unconditionally) OR the cities could become neutral cities ripe for the taking.

Locked Post 6 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 26, 2013 6:43:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A slight alteration to one of my mods can put this into the game fairly easily. One could have the champions have permanent death as well. One major issue for this would be that the AI is not designed around this element of don't die ever. There are some calculated risks it takes and sometimes those risks don't pay off... so basically you might see your game end in 30-40 turns. But if the AI was programmed with this in mind, and if I was clever enough to ensure that the AI players never die in battle, then we could do something about it.

April 26, 2013 7:39:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder... what would happen if more than one champion had the <IsSovereign> tag? Would the surviving champion take over as the new sovereign?

April 26, 2013 8:13:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No... it is defined in the race configs. By the way I think I might have solved your spawning multiple monster lair problem ; )... more testing, but I think I can do it.

May 1, 2013 9:27:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great idea!  And can we also have an option to have cities and units swear fealty to their new Lord /Lady?  I hate it when entire civs just disappear.

May 1, 2013 9:49:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love this as an option, but the AI sovs should get some kind of buff - I can see them accidentally sending their sovs into a bad situation. The Ai may not be ready for this win condition, it is used to its sovs being invincible.  

On Expert and higher, the AI could just hide their sov away in the toughest fortress with a full army - that'd prevent killing them too easily. On lower difficulties, though, if it turtles its sov it won't expand quickly enough, and could paint itself into a corner. 

So the AI really is the only issue: can the current AI handle the risk/reward dynamic?

May 1, 2013 1:34:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Um...hmmm...I didn't like this game mechanic in WoM, I doubt I would like it here.  The problem is this, either the Sov is so buffed up, he just destroys you and you can't fight back, or he's too weak and you beat him and it's a quick game over.  I have always thought this was a bad mechanic for a 4x TBS game, especially one with random maps...I just can't think of a way for this to be any real fun.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: