Fallen Enchantress–Legendary Heroes release date set

By on April 22, 2013 4:49:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1077

WildLandsPainting

Stardock is pleased to announce that the release date to the expansion to its popular fantasy strategy game, Fallen Enchantress has been set as Wednesday, May 22nd.

The expansion, Fallen Enchantress – Legendary Heroes, picks up where Fallen Enchantress left off. The world of Elemental is seeing new monsters invading the land and new champions have arisen to aid the player in their quest to bring order and civilization back to the people.

The expansion is loaded with new features including a new champion system, an improved tactical battle experience, a new leveling system, new monsters, more spells and quests, larger map sizes, improved visuals, smarter AI, Steamworks achievements and much more.

For Fallen Enchantress players, it’s only $19.99. For new players, they can get Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes for $39.99.

Media Kit: http://www.stardock.com/press/Elemental/felegendaryheroes/FE_LegendaryHeroes_Preview.zip

Learn More: http://www.elementalgame.com/legendary-heroes

Screenshots:

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 22, 2013 5:22:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome news. I am hoping diplomacy receives a bit of love before you send it out.

April 22, 2013 6:01:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you had pushed it back for one day it would come out at my birthday:)

April 22, 2013 6:56:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can't wait to see what happens between now and then.

April 22, 2013 8:46:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like a good amount of time to continue the awesome work of polishing.

Would love to see some improvements to the interface screen (bigger icons/scaling, improved sorting/reordering, etc.).

April 23, 2013 9:47:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brazos! (Way, uber-good news)

April 23, 2013 4:40:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, this will be your full return to grace. LH is, quite frankly, fantastic.

April 23, 2013 4:48:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed, ...wolf... I prescribed to EWOM, and SD has more than made up for it.  They have my loyalty, now. 

April 23, 2013 6:07:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please tell me that there will be a standalone version and that I can play without that festering STEAMing pile of rubbish.

April 23, 2013 6:14:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Also...

Release only a month away? I'm not sure the beta I'm playing, v0.80, is will be good enough for general release in just 4 weeks time.

April 23, 2013 8:28:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EffBie,

Also...

Release only a month away? I'm not sure the beta I'm playing, v0.80, is will be good enough for general release in just 4 weeks time.

It's plenty of time. Aside from a few bug fixes and some balancing, LH is already a better game than....well, just about everything out there, 4X wise right now.

April 23, 2013 9:31:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really? but there are so many bugs left. I agree, 0.80 still feels quite beta to me.  If the next update 0.85 is the last before release well... *cries*

April 24, 2013 6:17:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"This is pretty obnoxious. If you feel the game is being rushed (just like people thought GalCiv was rushed and Sins was rushed and so on) then feel free to wait until February to play it." 

© Frogboy, July 20, 2010

April 24, 2013 6:19:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting id_est,

"This is pretty obnoxious. If you feel the game is being rushed (just like people thought GalCiv was rushed and Sins was rushed and so on) then feel free to wait until February to play it." 

© Frogboy, July 20, 2010

Are you just practicing on being a dick? 

April 24, 2013 7:07:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mmrnmhrm,

Quoting id_est,
reply 12

© Frogboy, July 20, 2010

Are you just practicing on being a dick? 

He just points out that the game is more than good enough to play and nobody tells that it cannot be polished by few later patches after release.

And they might need some income for future work either, you know ppl who develop it need to eat either Postponing release means you have to live from your savings, game industry is built on real life basis not on mana you know...

April 24, 2013 7:33:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Err no, he is clearly going for a Frogboy sucker punch, indicating that something very similar like "War of Magic" will happen where a game comes out far too soon riddled with bugs and not finished.

You should check id_est post history to understand where he is coming from.

April 24, 2013 7:46:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not to mention, FB was, ironcially right. Anyoen who bought War of Magic the following February would never have known that the game had trouble when it first came out. 

Legendary Heroes could ship 0.80 and be considered a good game. Nobody thought WOM was a good game. If you at my posting history, I was one of the first people to condemn WOM when it shipped.

April 24, 2013 10:48:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LH is really a great game already and it still has almost one month to be refined (plus some patches after release). The past is over and the current product continues to get better all the time.

April 25, 2013 11:57:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With a company like stardock it IS less of a concern if a game is released in a kind of advanced beta state rather than fully polished retail product due to Stardock's  ongoing commitment to improve and refine and patch their games BUT I would hate to see the game not do as well as it should due to ill informed reviewers marking it down due to lack of polish and/or bugs upon release.

April 25, 2013 12:06:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EffBie,

With a company like stardock it IS less of a concern if a game is released in a kind of advanced beta state rather than fully polished retail product due to Stardock's  ongoing commitment to improve and refine and patch their games BUT I would hate to see the game not do as well as it should due to ill informed reviewers marking it down due to lack of polish and/or bugs upon release.

This would not be a good practice for any company. Even though the "core" fans would be okay with it (really, what are you guys not okay with?), the game would get panned by critics and people unfamiliar with the product. Releasing too early was part of the problem with War of Magic. I wouldn't expect that they will make the same mistake twice, so they surely feel they have enough time to fix the bugs.

April 25, 2013 12:27:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I think FE was a great game, yes I think LH makes it even better, but why ever release a product that isn't your best?  There are a lot of bugs and niggling issues that have lingered with the game for a long time, please take the time to fix all known issues before you release it.  You are a great company and deserved to be recognised as such, so please release LH in tip top shape instead of just assuming you can do the polishing later. 

April 25, 2013 1:38:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Yes, I think FE was a great game, yes I think LH makes it even better, but why ever release a product that isn't your best?  There are a lot of bugs and niggling issues that have lingered with the game for a long time, please take the time to fix all known issues before you release it.  You are a great company and deserved to be recognised as such, so please release LH in tip top shape instead of just assuming you can do the polishing later. 

(ps. I'm not quoting specifically you Lord Xia; more so the concept that many have in regards to what you've said)

I think we all need to keep in mind Brad's plan with the FE product line. FE:LH is only a stepping stone towards the last installment of the series. Why would he go out of his way to fix all the little bugs, balance issues, and nuances when he fully expects the game to dramatically change once more thus creating an entire new set of bugs, balance issues, and nuances...many of which will be repeats just like what happened from the transition from FE to LH.

That said, if there is an aspect of the game that is continually being spoken about but not being addressed by SD, the three outcomes I would theorize is that:

1. They disagree that there is a problem
  2. They don't know how to properly/fully address the problem
  3. They know it's a problem, but one that's already been slated for resolution in the final installment. 
April 25, 2013 1:59:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EffBie,

...I would hate to see the game not do as well as it should due to ill informed reviewers marking it down due to lack of polish and/or bugs upon release.

I would not like this overall result as well, but it would be responsible reviewing in my opinion to mark it down for being what it is, if what it is is unpolished and bug-ridden. I don't think the game is either. The game is remarkably polished and bug-scarce to me. 

I do think they are going in a strange direction right before launch in the patches, where they are just beginning to tacitly acknowledge that they sucked a lof of the fun out of champions and leveling with slow leveling, split exp, and excessively long trees through changes to exp and trees each patch. I don't know what it looks like to a new user anymore, so I cannot say how it will be received as a whole by reviewers, though as a long time user I wish they would go back to the point where you could play this game simply and have fun. The party of champions was a strategy that was fun, I never understood why they wanted to stamp it out of the game in favor of forcing players in to much more complicated strategies, or leaving their champions parked in cities. It seemed like death to non-grognards, because it is very complicated making an army for each champion while exploring, expanding, and improving cities. This complicated dance could be a very good (or optimal) strategy with a viable party of champions course, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

As it is, I think they had better make more explicit that champions split experience (could be awkward, maybe a "Don't cross the streams!" pop-up when the user puts two champions in the same army? Something less intrusive, a kryptonite icon perhaps?), because the first instinct among new players is to band their strongest units together, and I think they will be disappointed by the trees that seem to taunt them with abilities they will never be able to earn.

April 25, 2013 2:11:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Quoting Lord Xia, reply 20Yes, I think FE was a great game, yes I think LH makes it even better, but why ever release a product that isn't your best?  There are a lot of bugs and niggling issues that have lingered with the game for a long time, please take the time to fix all known issues before you release it.  You are a great company and deserved to be recognised as such, so please release LH in tip top shape instead of just assuming you can do the polishing later. 

(ps. I'm not quoting specifically you Lord Xia; more so the concept that many have in regards to what you've said)

I think we all need to keep in mind Brad's plan with the FE product line. FE:LH is only a stepping stone towards the last installment of the series. Why would he go out of his way to fix all the little bugs, balance issues, and nuances when he fully expects the game to dramatically change once more thus creating an entire new set of bugs, balance issues, and nuances...many of which will be repeats just like what happened from the transition from FE to LH.

That said, if there is an aspect of the game that is continually being spoken about but not being addressed by SD, the three outcomes I would theorize is that:

They disagree that there is a problem
They don't know how to properly/fully address the problem
They know it's a problem, but one that's already been slated for resolution in the final installment. 

Can you give us an example of bugs that were fixed or balance issues that were resolved in FE that crept back up in LH?

I've seen this argument before and I think the line of thinking here is wrong. You don't keep piling more and more buggy code on top of buggy code. You especially don't intend to release that buggy code as a finished product. I understand video games are a different beast than traditional programming, but I would lose my job if I developed using that philosophy.

You set your features.

You work towards implementing those features (Alpha)

You fix the bugs/balance (Beta)

You release the product (Gold)

You fix any bugs that were overlooked (Patches)

I think they have enough time to fix the true bugs with the game, as long as they don't fiddle with the features. Really, LH is on the low end as far as adding new content goes, so there shouldn't be too many bugs that are not leftovers from FE.

April 26, 2013 2:54:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Too true JShores (although I disagree about LH not adding more bugs, it feels like there is enough new code that  there will inevitably be a moderate number of new bugs).

The bigger bugs have been fixed and overall LH is a pretty stable game but there are still a moderate number of  little bugs and annoyances, quite a few of which can be tracked back to much earlier in the development. These little things really get in the way of it feeling like a AAA game and I think it would be great if LH got a month or so of dedicated polishing where Stardock ONLY fixed bugs or UI issues/annoyances.

However I've said this before several times and I don't know what trade-offs that would require at Stardock, maybe it isn't viable.

April 26, 2013 8:14:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

If Stardock took 5 years, they'd make a better game, but they'd lose money first.

At some point you have to say "good enough"

As of 0.80, I think the game isn't ready- mostly on the balancing end of things, but .85 makes some changes, so I'll hold judgement until then.  I agree with Mistwraithe on the state of LH.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000875   Page Render Time: