[Suggestion] Each Turn, Golden Belt Provides Gildar and Enchanted Backpack Provides Random Resource or Potion.

By on April 18, 2013 2:22:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

StevenAus

Join Date 06/2010
+108

There is currently no item that provides Gildar continually, or any other resource.  How about the Golden Belt provides 5 Gildar + 1 Gildar per level (or something similar for balance).

Also, what about the Enchanted Backpack providing a random resource boost per turn?  (This could be in the form of base amount + amount per level, balanced for each resource too.)  It could be Gildar, Metal or Crystal (or even Mana), or if you're keen, maybe you could drag Horses and Wargs out of it occasionally (although you wouldn't be able to use them until you got the techs).

Both of these items would provide the resource boost at the start of the turn, so you would need to have them equipped when you click Turn.

What do you think?  We currently have no income or resource boosters as hero items, so why not change this?  Certainly more interesting than +1 Initiative and more appropriate than 25% Splash Damage.

Locked Post 16 Replies +2 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
OliverFA_306
Wizard1200
April 18, 2013 2:31:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would be in favor of adding these items but not at the expense of items we already have. Just make new items and change some item names if needed. If it were my decision, I would aim to double the number of items before launch. Some of this would be having actual one handed axes and two handed swords, perhaps polearms with a new mechanic. The rest would be filling equipment gaps and unique items.

April 18, 2013 2:46:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think the enchanted backpack should spawn consumables like potions every so often, like 25% chance a turn to spawn a healing, growth, or speed potion, rather than global resources.  After all, a crystal is much less useful to a roaming adventurer than a health potion.  The golden belt actually producing gold is a spiffy idea as well.

April 18, 2013 2:47:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
There is currently no item that provides Gildar continually, or any other resource.  How about the Golden Belt provides 5 Gildar + 1 Gildar per level (or something similar for balance).

Also, what about the Enchanted Backpack providing a random resource boost per turn?  (This could be in the form of base amount + amount per level, balanced for each resource too.)  It could be Gildar, Metal or Crystal (or even Mana), or if you're keen, maybe you could drag Horses and Wargs out of it occasionally (although you wouldn't be able to use them until you got the techs).

I think that is a great suggestion. The golden belt could increase the gildar per turn by 50 % and the enchanted backpack could increase the metal and crystal per turn by 25 %.

April 18, 2013 2:53:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure if it should affect global income or metal and crystal income.  Just enough so that it provides a good base income, with possibly a bonus per level (feeding off the potential of the hero).

I like the idea of getting potions for the Enchanted Backpack, but I think having 25% chance is a bit high.  Maybe 5 or 10% of getting a potion (or maybe less), with a higher chance of getting the less expensive (read: less powerful) potions.

Or a combination solution could see the Enchanted Backpack come up with a random resource (say 10 crystal of 15 gildar) OR a potion.  There could be a table with different probabilities, and hero level could influence too.

April 18, 2013 3:17:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
I'm not sure if it should affect global income or metal and crystal income.  Just enough so that it provides a good base income, with possibly a bonus per level (feeding off the potential of the hero).

It would be useful at the beginning of the game and at the end of the game if the items would affect the global income and it would make the tax rate not meaningless.

April 18, 2013 3:28:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess that's where I got an inkling of the idea, Heavenfall, as well as from artifacts in other games that provide resources.  However I like the idea of getting them at the end of the turn, as sometimes battles can be made to last a long time.

Wizard1200, what would happen if you had more than one of the items?  Or would you make it so that a maximum of one effect would apply, so the percentages don't get too big?

April 18, 2013 3:47:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
Wizard1200, what would happen if you had more than one of the items?  Or would you make it so that a maximum of one effect would apply, so the percentages don't get too big?

Yep, only one effect should apply, because otherwise you would get the warlock + evoker IV + staff of souls + a few shards effect

April 18, 2013 3:51:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My idea was inspired by that item, but I've always felt the drop rate and condition were a bit too extreme.  Also, I almost never use consumables, so a tiny chance to get something I'm never gonna use doesn't exactly seem all that great to me.  I'll admit, I'd probably never use the backpack as I described it, but it seems a hell of a lot more thematic than a +1 init bonus.

April 18, 2013 3:58:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My rationale for the low % was three-fold:

1) It's an early game item, low-tier

2) It takes up the cloak slot, which has very few good choices until the mid-game

3) I had to make it so that it wasn't exploitable, say by healing yourself over and over.

There aren't XML tags to do it in strategic mode, unfortunately. But I'm not sure I would have put it in strategic mode even if there were. Having an item slot that is usually taken up by combat-boosters provide a strategic bonus is dangerous, because it encourages micro. Equip combat cloak for battles, at every strategic end of turn, equip the backpack.This is why the Crown of Procipinee is an accessory instead of an item that takes up a slot. To me that is boring.

April 18, 2013 4:05:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good points.  Maybe with only one combat per turn, a purely combat backpack would be useful.

Do you have some suggestions for previous encumbrance items like the Backpack and Golden Belt?

April 18, 2013 4:25:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know Derek has spoken out against city-boost items but I think there's a niche for heroes passive in cities getting bonuses from items.

April 18, 2013 4:35:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's a very good suggestion! I think that it's better that the item provides a flat production instead of a percentage. Percentages can get uncontrolled too easily and you never really know how many percentage modifiers are out there. Also, I prefer this to be a new item instead of an existing one.

April 18, 2013 5:16:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

it can provide +1 armor and two virtual healing potions for tactical combat.

for global, it shoud heal owner, 10 hp per turn will be fine. 

virtual == not separate item, soo you cant store them or sell or share in party, but in tactical combat anyone with backpack can heal himself two times.

this will make backpack super usefull for anyone just like it was before. 

April 18, 2013 8:30:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OliverFA_306,

That's a very good suggestion! I think that it's better that the item provides a flat production instead of a percentage. Percentages can get uncontrolled too easily and you never really know how many percentage modifiers are out there. Also, I prefer this to be a new item instead of an existing one.

Exactly. A golden belt could provide +1 Gildar while champion is stationed in a city. An enchanted backpack could provide +3 Production in a city while champion is stationed there.

I also have this in Stormworld http://stormworld.wikidot.com/reliquary#Infinite_Healing_Potion

maybe that could be something for the enchanted backpack.

April 18, 2013 9:54:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You are a Master Modder, Heavenfall!

It's a pleasure to browse through the code of your mod and see your great abilities.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time: