Stardock gives the finger to FE players

By on April 8, 2013 10:01:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

enoeraew37

Join Date 11/2005
+5

Exactly how does Stardock explain not replying to FE customers for a MONTH regarding updates and the like for FE? Cause I cant see it any other way as a deliberate cold shoulder. Getting off the endless beta train at FE? No more support for you!

Given that the internet is in everyone pocket via smartphone, there is absolutely no excuse for lack of communication. Not to mention you apparently have no problem interacting with the LH people in a timely way. And yes, I bought your product and thus I'm entitled to have it work to spec. Chancing the patching numerology to a 1 doesnt make the game done, especially when you are suddenly releasing 100 new fixes, learned from FE, into the newest money sink.

Locked Post 71 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
BernieTime
April 8, 2013 5:10:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,

Frogboy is on self imposed quasi-exile from this project so I'm not sure he's has qualified answer we are looking for. Before stringing up the mission accomplished banner lets hear from Kael.

So how does one explain the month of silence? Stardock will withhold answers until the customer appropriately grovels and debases themselves? Do we need to repeat this monthly cycle or can we have weekly-bi-weekly updates? Lack of communication continues to leave me without knowledge of what to expect.

You realize his self-imposed exile is because of people like you, right?

April 8, 2013 5:14:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I doubt Brad would offer an answer if he didn't know what was up. Given his rather unique position (being both above and below Paxton in rank) he probably has access to any information he needs, self-imposed exile or not.

I suspect the month of silence has to do with the Legendary Heroes beta. I have participated in past betas as well as participated on the forum during other betas, and it seems to me that a lot of effort goes toward the beta/release, and once they can manage it they put the work into other stuff.

Also, what's with the complaints about lack of word about GC2? Twilight of the Arnor was released in 2008, if I recall correctly. Why would you expect further word now? When was the last patch? Two or three years ago?

April 8, 2013 5:19:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about the 80s where nothing of the sort worked, and you had to call a 900 number and pay for support lol

April 8, 2013 5:29:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Karma for Bernie! 

You know if you don't have a clue whats the future for FE then make a post asking. Asking nicely (being respectful) would be the better way about going for it. Usually SD isn't always the best/ fastest for private messages. Sending them emails may be a better way of communication. And remember they have work to do so don't expect fast responds. (work, life, family, etc...)

April 8, 2013 5:33:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Phaedyme,

I doubt Brad would offer an answer if he didn't know what was up. Given his rather unique position (being both above and below Paxton in rank) he probably has access to any information he needs, self-imposed exile or not.

I suspect the month of silence has to do with the Legendary Heroes beta. I have participated in past betas as well as participated on the forum during other betas, and it seems to me that a lot of effort goes toward the beta/release, and once they can manage it they put the work into other stuff.

Also, what's with the complaints about lack of word about GC2? Twilight of the Arnor was released in 2008, if I recall correctly. Why would you expect further word now? When was the last patch? Two or three years ago?

Brad is likely in the know but it would be good for Kael to practice communicating with us since we all want a stop to these dysfunctional communication sblackouts. Galciv2ToA shipped without a working AI, as in the AI doesnt know how to use the features offered with the xpac. Someone else brought it up but it s a good lesson to customers how Stardock operates. As a customer I may think Stardock cares about me but history says Stardocks willing to cut an run on the customers.

edit : Hawa :I did, others did and Stardock didnt respond for a month +. If asking nicely worked on a regular basis the world wouldnt be full of lawyers.

April 8, 2013 5:42:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

in fact, Brad just replied to another poster who asked pretty much the same question:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/442382

April 8, 2013 5:53:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's hardly been a history of cutting and running.  There were many reasons why the patch effort for GC2 TotA went dead, among them the migration to Windows 7, which didn't support the older version of Visual Studio used to make GC2.  You can blame Microsoft for that one.  Stupid program incompatibility. *kicks Microsoft*

Early adopters of Elemental for FE for free, others got a discount.  That's pretty generous, all things considered, and FE is not a shabby effort.

If you want a load of vacuous jibbering there are plenty of places you can find that.

April 8, 2013 5:59:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The sad truth is, We are One makes his post and the replies fly in. Don't fuel the fire folks. It's like seeing an accident, best thing you can do is not look and keep driving. 

April 8, 2013 6:06:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mhantra,
How about the 80s where nothing of the sort worked, and you had to call a 900 number and pay for support lol

80's DRM

April 8, 2013 6:39:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MarvinKosh,

It's hardly been a history of cutting and running.  There were many reasons why the patch effort for GC2 TotA went dead, among them the migration to Windows 7, which didn't support the older version of Visual Studio used to make GC2.  You can blame Microsoft for that one.  Stupid program incompatibility. *kicks Microsoft*

Early adopters of Elemental for FE for free, others got a discount.  That's pretty generous, all things considered, and FE is not a shabby effort.

If you want a load of vacuous jibbering there are plenty of places you can find that.

^^^^^

This is quite similar to what my response almost was, except I didn't know why TotA patching stopped.

As far as Twilight of the Arnor goes, this user made fix for the TotA tech trees seems decent: http://forums.galciv2.com/400674.

April 8, 2013 6:48:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davrovana,

The sad truth is, We are One makes his post and the replies fly in. Don't fuel the fire folks. It's like seeing an accident, best thing you can do is not look and keep driving. 

I wouldnt have to make any posts if Stardock responded to the community any time within the last MONTH. But keep baahing sheep. I'm sure if we let the farmer shave us nekkid we'll finally get the game we want.

The galciv2 mods are great but they are getting no help from stardock and gee wiz wouldnt it be nice if Stardock cleaned up its own mess after how many years? Or at least sent any galciv profits for the last few years to these guys who make the game function. Point is you just cant say "oh they are kool guys they wouldnt do that to fellow gamer" a..cause they have before.

April 8, 2013 7:11:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you want to complain just for the sake of complaining, there's always twitter.

April 8, 2013 7:20:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,

I wouldnt have to make any posts if Stardock responded to the community any time within the last MONTH. But keep baahing sheep. I'm sure if we let the farmer shave us nekkid we'll finally get the game we want.

The galciv2 mods are great but they are getting no help from stardock and gee wiz wouldnt it be nice if Stardock cleaned up its own mess after how many years? Or at least sent any galciv profits for the last few years to these guys who make the game function. Point is you just cant say "oh they are kool guys they wouldnt do that to fellow gamer" a..cause they have before.

Looks like that's the first time Woffle99 asked about FE and he got a response in less than 8 hours.  You've been demanding answers for weeks.  Again, I point out that you're your own worst enemy in this.  

Further evidenced by the fact that two very relevant pieces of information from Brad answering the questions you've supposedly wanted answers to somehow turned into "Derek should be doing this, not Brad" and "Stardock fails because GalCiv2 was terrible" or some other nonsense.   

I get the feeling you just want to bitch.  

April 8, 2013 7:53:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not in any sort of exile. I was at Disney World. Just got back.

We released FE 1.3 in February and 1.4 is expected to come out probably this month. 1.5 after LH comes out. Same as we've done things on all our games going all the way back to GalCiv I.

April 8, 2013 9:03:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Sorry you had to come back to such a greeting as this thread.

SD has been very generous in communicating about patches and replying in threads. I think some time off for Brad and others is a great thing, even if it means the forums are dull.

April 8, 2013 9:18:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

gah I need a shower from all the stardock leg humping. So the fanbio spin is Stardock just didnt answer for a month because of -me-? Because I have no manners? I dont know why they went quiet but it had nothing to do with me. I'm not that important. Other people were asking too. They got ignored to but dont have the social heuvos to be public about it. I certainly hope they didnt leave their customers flapping in the wind just to spite one critic.

April 8, 2013 9:20:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,

gah I need a shower from all the leg humping. So the fanbio spin is Stardock just didnt answer for a month because of -me-? Because I have no manners? I dont know why they went quiet but it had nothing to do with me. I'm not that important. Other people were asking too. They got ignored to but dont have the social heuvos to be public about it. I certainly hope they didnt leave their customers flapping in the wind just to spite one critic.

You need to go away now.

April 8, 2013 9:35:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

We released FE 1.3 in February and 1.4 is expected to come out probably this month. 1.5 after LH comes out. Same as we've done things on all our games going all the way back to GalCiv I.

Hope the vacation was a blast.  Glad to see your back.

April 9, 2013 1:21:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I to wondered why 1.4 was sitting on the shelf for so long, but now that all is explained, then all is good.

April 9, 2013 12:54:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Should have read page 2 before posting, everything has been handled, including weareone.

April 19, 2013 10:17:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BernieTime,

Kids nowadays.  I'd like to transport you back to the mid 90's when patches and updates only happened once or twice if you were lucky if at all.  Those updates may have been Months to years after the project.

Unimpressed with the rant of self entitlement

or the mid 70's when gaming was on paper, and updates NEVER happened...

April 19, 2013 11:19:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,

So the fanbio spin is Stardock just didnt answer for a month because of -me-? Because I have no manners? I dont know why they went quiet but it had nothing to do with me. I'm not that important. Other people were asking too. They got ignored to but dont have the social heuvos to be public about it. I certainly hope they didnt leave their customers flapping in the wind just to spite one critic.

Welcome to the club. I'm the reason they abandoned modding apparently.

April 19, 2013 5:05:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is difficult to engage with a viewpoint which is negative and hostile.  It is especially difficult to keep doing that week after week.

So you have two choices.  Keep going with the outpouring of negativity and watch a human being just trying to do his job go away and take more frequent breathers from it.  Or seriously dial back the negative vibe.

Supporting a developer is not being a fanboy.  It's about helping them to do what they do, which is a tough job even for the most competent and mentally disciplined people.

I'm not saying, if you don't have anything good to say, to zip it.  What I am saying is that you need to be diplomatic. Explain the problem, suggest a solution, and move on.  If it doesn't get answered, don't assume that it is being ignored.

As a developer for an NWN server, I regularly check the forums for my server to see what problems there are.  I haven't written any bug fixes for a few months now because honestly I am just so busy with real life that I've had to step out of the way and let other people take on the job, but I am still interested and I still answer posts when I can.

Writing replies to individual posts is something that takes time, and that time could much better be spent just noting down them problem and expediting a fix.  In fact a lot of the time I do just that, jump into the code base or the 2DA files and see if it is a simple fix.  If it is, I can suggest the necessary changes or even paste a code fix on the dev forum.

At no point do I absolutely have to answer a player's post, but if they're presenting the problem in a helpful way then I'm more likely to write a quick reply to their post than someone who is snarky.  Sorry, but I don't get paid to deal with snarky posters.  Matter of fact I don't get any kind of pay, I do that job for free, so anyone who has an axe to grind is just wasting their time and bandwidth.  I will look into the problem, if it is a problem, but other than that I just move on to the next post.

The moral of this story is, don't get in your Super Dominator Corvette and start demanding an update about this or that.  It's unfriendly, rude and irritating.

April 19, 2013 5:18:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jshores,

whatever the hell that means

April 21, 2013 1:36:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sweatyboatman,

Quoting jshores, reply 47

whatever the hell that means

Posts like yours make it hard to justify spending more engineering hours on mod support when it's clear that nothing we do will ever be good enough.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: