LH UI Community Suggestions Thread

By on April 3, 2013 12:56:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mqpiffle

Join Date 10/2010
+44

Hey folks.  I've got a few suggestions for the UI which I would like to see implemented for LH.  Post your suggestions below, and I'll do my best to add them to the OP.  If you particularly agree or disagree with any of the suggestions, I'll try to add a +/- rating next to each one indicating your opinion on that point.

Link to Darxim's FE UI Suggestions Thread.

Hotkeys / Keybindings

• [ESC] should take me out of the Kingdom Info screen
  • +3 A shortcut dedicated to moving through idle cities only [jonmdewey]

Main Strategic UI

• +2 Please provide notification (or option) when non-allied units (no NAP) enter my territory
  • +1 Please show the potential effect (what resources I will gain, type of improvement) of building an improvement on a wild resource when the resource is selected or moused-over
  • +8 Quickslots for strategic spells [Azunai_]
  • +3 Please provide a notification when an enemy casts a spell enhancement (curse) on one of my cities, and also a graphic on the HUD if possible. [abob101]
  • +1 The ability to customize the Empire Tree, especially which cities are displayed (only idle, only continuous producing, etc.) [Snowraven], or show idle cities at the top of the list [jonmdewey]
  • Add or move notifications of destroyed wild resource improvements and outposts to notification bar. [Snowraven]
  • +1 The ability to customize which groupings of notifications are shown [jonmdewey]
  • +1 The option to default notification groups to the collapsed state, and when collapsed show the number of sub-notifications [jonmdewey]
  • +1 Add a notification when a Wildland is cleared, and who cleared it. [jonmdewey]
  • Highlight currently selected city or unit in the Empire Tree [Trojasmic]
  • +1 On the Empire Tree, display an indicator of a unit's remaining movement status [ElanaAhova] and also show moves remaining of unit mouse over [iowausa]
  • +1 More information on unit desertion notification. [ampoliros5]
  • +5 Allow the selection of multiple units, preferably with a dynamic mana cost indicator, when casting strategic spells. [Snowraven]
  • +1 A 'Select All Units' button on the Main UI selected city element to select all currently stationed units in that city.  [Snowraven]
  • Remove the additional brightness from the base ZoC color line (this causes a lot of the colors to wash out and look the same.)
  • +4 Allow for two faction colors on the ZoC, one for the base line and another for the particle glow above it.  This would alleviate a lot of UI issues, especially with many factions in a single game.
  • Allow numbers on the Build info panel to be more than three digits. [Lokitaco]
  • Always show build/train turns remaining on the city HUD even if the name is truncated.
  • Increase the opacity of repetitive construction Icons (Produce Growth, Gildar, Research, Mana) to make them stand out better on the Empire Tree. [schattenjaeger]
  • Please stop telling me that units I have willfully disbanded "deserted". [schattenjaeger]
  • Please stop informing me that resources are in my ZoC when I don't have the necessary tech to exploit them. [schattenjaeger]
  • Enable an option to Raze wild resources after we have begun to exploit them (in the case we have to give up ground and want to deny the enemy resources - if I can't have them, you can't have them either). [schattenjaeger]

Tactical UI

• +1 Damage potential indicator (bottom right corner of tactical UI when mousing over potential target) needs to update completely, especially when using some spells and abilities.
  • +3 An "Initiative Bucket" indicator, that fills as tactical combat ticks along, which graphically shows how initiative is being determined and affected by various game effects. [Schnorkde]
  • +1 Better highlighting of targets and target areas, including showing unit outlines through obstacles. [Snowraven]
  • Sort the after battle report from top to bottom: Sovereign, Champions by level (high to low), trained units by level (high to low) [sweatyboatman]
  • On the after battle report, in the xp gained indicator, show LEVEL UP! on the right side of the bar and keep it there instead of briefly flashing it, and/or otherwise highlight a unit which has leveled as a result of the battle.
  • +1 When mousing over an enemy unit, show Moves in the unit's info card. [Grogtank]
  • Please correct the error message displayed when certain AoE abilities (such as Rain of Arrows) will not allow you to cast if an ally is within their sphere of influence to say as much, rather than the current notification that it must target an enemy. [schattenjaeger]
  • More spell Quickslots in tactical combat. [schattenjaeger]
  • Please color the unit portaits in the initiative list in red and green for enemy and own units respectively so i can quickly see when the next enemy is getting a turn. [Schnorkde]
  • Make the battlefield unit highlight much stronger when hovering over the unit's portrait on the initiative list. [Schnorkde]
  • Enable keyboard scrolling on tactical map. [schattenjaeger]

General Functionality

• +1 When a useable item (like a potion or a book) is selected in the trade or shop windows, the Equip button should change to a Use button, the Trade & Equip button should change to Trade & Use, and the Buy & Equip button should change to Buy & Use.
  • +4 Option to remove enchantments on a unit from within the unit's Unit Details screen [Azunai_]
  • +1 While looting items, change the "Equip" button action from auto-equip to instead open the Unit Details > Equipment screen, or at least add another button for that functionality. [Leo in WI]
  • +4 When the city leveling dialog appears, include a button linking to the city details screen [thadianaphena], and/or an option to defer city leveling [Snowraven], and center the city on the screen [jonmdewey]
  • Allow notes or flags to be attached to the game map [Limboldt]
  • +1 In the City List screen, remove (or make it optional to remove [schattenjaeger] the Villages/Towns/Fortesses/Conclaves headers so I can sort the entire list from top to bottom.  The icons next to the city's names are enough.
  • +1 In the City Details screen, please allow me to manipulate build/train queue, show stationed units, and add Build and Train buttons to the interface.
  • Come up with and display a faux-DPS rating (maybe simply Damage * Initiative) for more easily assessing damage output over time. [jonmdewey]
  • Keep a running notification log for the entire game. [sweatyboatman]
  • Larger icons on the hero selection screen [Trojasmic]
  • +1 On the hero recruitment screen, allow the player to view each hero's Unit Details screen prior to making a selection. [Darxim]
  • On the Foreign Relations screen, show how many troops each faction is controlling. [MM77]
  • Add an Equip button the the Trade and Shop screen for movement to the full Equipment screen. [Grogtank]
  • Better implementation of Road Building units; specifically allow for a toggle to auto-road-build on said units [FuzzyGold]
  • +1 Cutscenes...lots of cutscenes. [GFireflyE]
  • Fix keyboard scroll speed [schattenjaeger]

Tool-tips / Mouse-over Functionality

Game Options

• +1 Add XP slider to the game setup options [StevenAus]
  • +1 Auto-focus on next idle city toggle [magnadrive]
  • Increase the variety of options for seeding things like resources and monsters (IE instead of "Few, Moderate, Abundant", something like "Few, Sub-par, Moderate, Extra, Abundant"). [schattenjaeger]

Sovereign / Faction Creation

Diplomacy

• +1 Allow me to make counter-proposals when the AI contacts me with a potential trade.
  • +1 Give me more information about the current proposal when the AI contacts me with a potential trade.
  • +2 Allow negotiation for multiple treaties simultaneously [Trojasmic]
  • +3 Allow use of any resources to negotiate for treaties (Why are trade and treaties separated in the first place?)
  • During trade negotiations, allow me to remove an item that is on the table without having to cancel the entire trade and start over. [ampoliros5]
  • When the AI contacts you for any reason, like boasting about research, you should have the option to go to the diplomacy menu and trade with them. [DsRaider]
  • You should be able to easily switch between the Diplomacy screen and the Foreign Relations screen. [DsRaider]

Hiergamenon

• +2 Keyword search function. [EffBie]
  • +1 List all prerequisites for all techs, spells, and improvements in the descriptions [ampoliros5]
Locked Post 104 Replies +2 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
animageous
athelasloraiel
April 13, 2013 4:44:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
And I've been playing the game a lot lately. ^^

Can't blame you, me too. As of right now I'm up to 128h 44m played, according to the main menu screen = P

April 14, 2013 9:31:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://forums.elementalgame.com/443063/page/1/ 

Schnorkde has Tactical UI suggestions that I +1

April 14, 2013 11:54:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Right,

Quoting ampoliros5,

http://forums.elementalgame.com/443063/page/1/ 

Schnorkde has Tactical UI suggestions that I +1

should have posted here.

April 14, 2013 1:55:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

(NEW) More spell slots in tactical combat. (The potential for more than 7 spells you may want easy access to is very real. I don't mind if 10 of my slots don't have numbers attached, I just hate the expanding menu list.)

April 18, 2013 2:16:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated!!!

Sorry it took so long!  Keep 'em coming!

April 18, 2013 2:40:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hmm... hadn't noticed I quoted my quoted post? Odd, don't remember doing that.

Forgot to mention something:

Enable keyboard scrolling on tactical map.

April 19, 2013 9:09:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Diplomacy

1. When the AI contacts you for any reason, like boasting about research, you should have the option to go to the diplomacy menu and trade with them. Getting messages you can't reply to and can only exit is annoying.

2. You should be able to easily switch between the Diplomacy screen and the Foreign Relations screen.

April 20, 2013 7:10:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

option to move things in the build screen/queue without having to delete all the things in queue

April 20, 2013 7:36:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can re-arrange the first five queued items, but when there's more than that it becomes difficult.  You just click and drag it to the one you want it to be in front of.

April 20, 2013 7:42:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah, didn't know that, awesome.

refined suggestion: better/easier way to re-prioritize the build/train queue.

April 20, 2013 9:28:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First of all, a great big   to mqpiffle for making this thread. What a fantastic idea! Now, on to the UI things I agree most with.

Quickslots for strategic spells [Azunai_]

I intensely dislike having to flip through my spellbook repeatedly to buff units, especially. It's not so much of a problem when I want to cast enchantments on cities (they are on the first page of the spellbook and in plain view most of the time), but when I want to buff an army group for a tough battle, I don't like having to open it up and cast once for each stupid unit in the stack.

A shortcut dedicated to moving through idle cities only [jonmdewey]

The reason I agree with this should be rather straightforward. This is useful, especially when you reach a large number of cities.

Option to remove enchantments on a unit from within the unit's Unit Details screen [Azunai_]

Dispelling enchantments is currently too difficult. You can see the little icons in the unit's display in battle detailing what enchantments they have (I think) but for some reason to dispel one on the overhead map you have to go the Ledger and manually dispel it from there. What a chore!

Cutscenes...lots of cutscenes. [GFireflyE]

I really like the cutscenes that happen when you start the game, or when you find a wildland, and all of those. They have beautiful art, and really help with game immersion. I understand that this one is a bit wishful, though, considering how much extra work would have to go into the art and design of said cutscenes. Nonetheless, it is a HUGE benefit to immersion and interest levels and I really think the game would benefit from more.

Allow the player the options to delete and edit sovereigns and factions on the sovereign/faction creation screens, instead of having to go to the xml files. [Borg999]

Yes! I built some really dumb factions that are just plain bad when I started playing this game and I haven't a clue how to delete them, so the AI is stuck with horrible factions that don't even have a good custom unit pool to draw on. Seems a bit unfair.

+2 Allow use of any resources to negotiate for treaties (Why are trade and treaties separated in the first place?)

This makes no sense. We need to fix this. Diplomacy is hard enough as it is, why won't the AI accept horses and stuff for treaties, but they'll accept them for trades? Treaties have a diplomatic value, and one that should be matchable by resources too.

Allow for two faction colors on the ZoC, one for the base line and another for the particle glow above it.  This would alleviate a lot of UI issues, especially with many factions in a single game.

There is a clear need for this. I inadvertently made two of my factions have the same main faction color and they spawned next to each other... needless to say, way too much confusion arose.

There are probably a lot of things I've thought of while playing the game myself, but I can't think of them at the moment.

I do hope more members read and give feedback on this thread! I think it will really help out the people at SD if they know what kind of UI changes we want.

April 20, 2013 3:46:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OP updated with your feedback.  Thanks!

April 20, 2013 4:00:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please clarify (with flavor text) that the Dodge bonuses from Shrink and Lucky stack multiplicatively with the base dodge stat, NOT additively.

April 20, 2013 4:58:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess this overlaps with an existing request...

Hiergamenon

Have the Hiergamenon as the "one stop" source for all game rules/mechanics/prerequisites/spells/effects/magic items, etc.

April 20, 2013 5:14:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The tooltip and descriptive flavor text for Wild Game states that it provides extra grain for the city it's attached to. The bonus on the improvement reads that it provides +3% HP to all units in the faction. The latter is correct, so, please update the former to be accurate.

April 20, 2013 5:35:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure if my suggestions go here or in the LH support forum, but here goes

The mouse over pop up text appears a fixed distance from the top of the mouse cursor instead of a fixed distance from the icon. This will result in the pop up text appearing in various places, covering up the icon and generally being annoying

This photo shows a good spot for the popup to appear (it is the end turn text popup - lower right part of screen)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77858773/LegendaryHeroes_1365949627.jpg

In this shot it is too low covering up the icon text (it is the buy text popup - center of screen)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77858773/LegendaryHeroes_1365904818.jpg

Another example of it being too low (kingdom info text popup - lower right part of screen)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77858773/LegendaryHeroes_1365949635.jpg

Then here is another problem I have

The mini map covers up a large portion of my kingdom reports scrolling menu

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77858773/LegendaryHeroes_1365961713.jpg

April 21, 2013 3:18:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Place a link from the screen of faction trading to the screen of faction relations.

Currently you can do the opposite: from faction relations you can click "Speak To" to jump to the faction trading window, but if you want to do the opposite, you have to exit the screen, hit "Govern", hit "Faction Relations".

A simple button would be very welcome.

April 25, 2013 5:09:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Better implementation of Road Building units; specifically allow for a toggle to auto-road-build on said units [FuzzyGold]

x1000

April 25, 2013 5:59:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mqpiffle ..... Great job organizing this request document!  

April 25, 2013 6:17:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the tactical menu, please include a 'countdown timer' for turn-limited effects that are cast on a unit-e.g. if a unit has been imprisoned, when you mouse over the initiative list and then click on the unit and you see it's attribute card, it would be nice if there were a countdown to the termination of the effect when you hovered over it.

In the same vein, if there could be a turn-count until a skill or spell could be used again-e.g. a cooldown timer for Cleave.

It would really be nice if there were a place for a real-time, reviewable battle log (that is, you can see all actions from the start of the battle), but I do not think there is enough screen real estate for it.

April 25, 2013 6:22:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A system for viewing and modifying a faction's units, and selecting which units are available for the AI to use.

Right, came back and looked.

+1 to this one, it seriously needs to be done, especially with the way in which new patches get rid of your custom units for each faction. Re-designing them means you have to re-play an entire game with each faction in order to get your custom units back up and running.

April 25, 2013 10:11:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting animageous,
Re-designing them means you have to re-play an entire game with each faction in order to get your custom units back up and running.

When I create a custom race that I don't plan to play as right away, I use the cheat menu to set up their troop types. Right click on LH in your Steam library, and choose properties, then set launch options. Type -cheat into the space provided. Start a new game with your custom race, and use Ctrl-J to research all techs, then design away. It's not an ideal system, but it works.

You can also backup the relevant files to keep them from being overwritten, but they might not work with the next update.

April 26, 2013 8:22:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandalftheredskin,

Type -cheat into the space provided. Start a new game with your custom race, and use Ctrl-J to research all techs, then design away. It's not an ideal system, but it works.

You can also backup the relevant files to keep them from being overwritten, but they might not work with the next update.

Thanks! I think a couple of people mentioned that you could do something like this but this is the first time someone's actually explained it to me. I didn't realize you could cheat like that, or even that this game *had* cheats.

As for the second part, yes, I think I might give it a wait for the update before I do so... currently don't feel like re-re-designing all of my faction units again.

I still wish I could give each of my units flavor text that is visible in the unit info screen, I have all these backstories for them that I can't currently add in.

April 27, 2013 10:58:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We already have a Quick-Save [ctrl-S], can we please have a Quick-Load?

Better yet, make the keybindings the same as every other game, F5 for Quick-Save and F9 for Quick-Load.

While on the subject of keybindings, please add an option screen so players can define their own keybindings.

April 28, 2013 4:38:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This one is purely aesthetic, but:

Add a "no armor" option that shows Sovereign (other units would be nice too, but I mostly just want the Sovereign) in whatever outfit he/she starts with (particularly relevant for Created Sovereigns).

OR

Add a "no helmet" option that shows Sovereign (other units would be nice too, but I mostly just want the Sovereign) without a helmet, regardless of what he/she has equipped on the head slot (particularly relevant for Created Sovereigns).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: