LH UI Community Suggestions Thread

By on April 3, 2013 12:56:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mqpiffle

Join Date 10/2010
+44

Hey folks.  I've got a few suggestions for the UI which I would like to see implemented for LH.  Post your suggestions below, and I'll do my best to add them to the OP.  If you particularly agree or disagree with any of the suggestions, I'll try to add a +/- rating next to each one indicating your opinion on that point.

Link to Darxim's FE UI Suggestions Thread.

Hotkeys / Keybindings

• [ESC] should take me out of the Kingdom Info screen
  • +3 A shortcut dedicated to moving through idle cities only [jonmdewey]

Main Strategic UI

• +2 Please provide notification (or option) when non-allied units (no NAP) enter my territory
  • +1 Please show the potential effect (what resources I will gain, type of improvement) of building an improvement on a wild resource when the resource is selected or moused-over
  • +8 Quickslots for strategic spells [Azunai_]
  • +3 Please provide a notification when an enemy casts a spell enhancement (curse) on one of my cities, and also a graphic on the HUD if possible. [abob101]
  • +1 The ability to customize the Empire Tree, especially which cities are displayed (only idle, only continuous producing, etc.) [Snowraven], or show idle cities at the top of the list [jonmdewey]
  • Add or move notifications of destroyed wild resource improvements and outposts to notification bar. [Snowraven]
  • +1 The ability to customize which groupings of notifications are shown [jonmdewey]
  • +1 The option to default notification groups to the collapsed state, and when collapsed show the number of sub-notifications [jonmdewey]
  • +1 Add a notification when a Wildland is cleared, and who cleared it. [jonmdewey]
  • Highlight currently selected city or unit in the Empire Tree [Trojasmic]
  • +1 On the Empire Tree, display an indicator of a unit's remaining movement status [ElanaAhova] and also show moves remaining of unit mouse over [iowausa]
  • +1 More information on unit desertion notification. [ampoliros5]
  • +5 Allow the selection of multiple units, preferably with a dynamic mana cost indicator, when casting strategic spells. [Snowraven]
  • +1 A 'Select All Units' button on the Main UI selected city element to select all currently stationed units in that city.  [Snowraven]
  • Remove the additional brightness from the base ZoC color line (this causes a lot of the colors to wash out and look the same.)
  • +4 Allow for two faction colors on the ZoC, one for the base line and another for the particle glow above it.  This would alleviate a lot of UI issues, especially with many factions in a single game.
  • Allow numbers on the Build info panel to be more than three digits. [Lokitaco]
  • Always show build/train turns remaining on the city HUD even if the name is truncated.
  • Increase the opacity of repetitive construction Icons (Produce Growth, Gildar, Research, Mana) to make them stand out better on the Empire Tree. [schattenjaeger]
  • Please stop telling me that units I have willfully disbanded "deserted". [schattenjaeger]
  • Please stop informing me that resources are in my ZoC when I don't have the necessary tech to exploit them. [schattenjaeger]
  • Enable an option to Raze wild resources after we have begun to exploit them (in the case we have to give up ground and want to deny the enemy resources - if I can't have them, you can't have them either). [schattenjaeger]

Tactical UI

• +1 Damage potential indicator (bottom right corner of tactical UI when mousing over potential target) needs to update completely, especially when using some spells and abilities.
  • +3 An "Initiative Bucket" indicator, that fills as tactical combat ticks along, which graphically shows how initiative is being determined and affected by various game effects. [Schnorkde]
  • +1 Better highlighting of targets and target areas, including showing unit outlines through obstacles. [Snowraven]
  • Sort the after battle report from top to bottom: Sovereign, Champions by level (high to low), trained units by level (high to low) [sweatyboatman]
  • On the after battle report, in the xp gained indicator, show LEVEL UP! on the right side of the bar and keep it there instead of briefly flashing it, and/or otherwise highlight a unit which has leveled as a result of the battle.
  • +1 When mousing over an enemy unit, show Moves in the unit's info card. [Grogtank]
  • Please correct the error message displayed when certain AoE abilities (such as Rain of Arrows) will not allow you to cast if an ally is within their sphere of influence to say as much, rather than the current notification that it must target an enemy. [schattenjaeger]
  • More spell Quickslots in tactical combat. [schattenjaeger]
  • Please color the unit portaits in the initiative list in red and green for enemy and own units respectively so i can quickly see when the next enemy is getting a turn. [Schnorkde]
  • Make the battlefield unit highlight much stronger when hovering over the unit's portrait on the initiative list. [Schnorkde]
  • Enable keyboard scrolling on tactical map. [schattenjaeger]

General Functionality

• +1 When a useable item (like a potion or a book) is selected in the trade or shop windows, the Equip button should change to a Use button, the Trade & Equip button should change to Trade & Use, and the Buy & Equip button should change to Buy & Use.
  • +4 Option to remove enchantments on a unit from within the unit's Unit Details screen [Azunai_]
  • +1 While looting items, change the "Equip" button action from auto-equip to instead open the Unit Details > Equipment screen, or at least add another button for that functionality. [Leo in WI]
  • +4 When the city leveling dialog appears, include a button linking to the city details screen [thadianaphena], and/or an option to defer city leveling [Snowraven], and center the city on the screen [jonmdewey]
  • Allow notes or flags to be attached to the game map [Limboldt]
  • +1 In the City List screen, remove (or make it optional to remove [schattenjaeger] the Villages/Towns/Fortesses/Conclaves headers so I can sort the entire list from top to bottom.  The icons next to the city's names are enough.
  • +1 In the City Details screen, please allow me to manipulate build/train queue, show stationed units, and add Build and Train buttons to the interface.
  • Come up with and display a faux-DPS rating (maybe simply Damage * Initiative) for more easily assessing damage output over time. [jonmdewey]
  • Keep a running notification log for the entire game. [sweatyboatman]
  • Larger icons on the hero selection screen [Trojasmic]
  • +1 On the hero recruitment screen, allow the player to view each hero's Unit Details screen prior to making a selection. [Darxim]
  • On the Foreign Relations screen, show how many troops each faction is controlling. [MM77]
  • Add an Equip button the the Trade and Shop screen for movement to the full Equipment screen. [Grogtank]
  • Better implementation of Road Building units; specifically allow for a toggle to auto-road-build on said units [FuzzyGold]
  • +1 Cutscenes...lots of cutscenes. [GFireflyE]
  • Fix keyboard scroll speed [schattenjaeger]

Tool-tips / Mouse-over Functionality

Game Options

• +1 Add XP slider to the game setup options [StevenAus]
  • +1 Auto-focus on next idle city toggle [magnadrive]
  • Increase the variety of options for seeding things like resources and monsters (IE instead of "Few, Moderate, Abundant", something like "Few, Sub-par, Moderate, Extra, Abundant"). [schattenjaeger]

Sovereign / Faction Creation

Diplomacy

• +1 Allow me to make counter-proposals when the AI contacts me with a potential trade.
  • +1 Give me more information about the current proposal when the AI contacts me with a potential trade.
  • +2 Allow negotiation for multiple treaties simultaneously [Trojasmic]
  • +3 Allow use of any resources to negotiate for treaties (Why are trade and treaties separated in the first place?)
  • During trade negotiations, allow me to remove an item that is on the table without having to cancel the entire trade and start over. [ampoliros5]
  • When the AI contacts you for any reason, like boasting about research, you should have the option to go to the diplomacy menu and trade with them. [DsRaider]
  • You should be able to easily switch between the Diplomacy screen and the Foreign Relations screen. [DsRaider]

Hiergamenon

• +2 Keyword search function. [EffBie]
  • +1 List all prerequisites for all techs, spells, and improvements in the descriptions [ampoliros5]
Locked Post 104 Replies +2 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
animageous
athelasloraiel
April 3, 2013 1:12:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Allow the player the option to delete sovereigns and factions on the sovereign/faction creation screens, instead of having to go to the xml files.

April 3, 2013 1:13:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

strategic map - quickslots for strategic spells (basically the same as in tactical maps, but for frequently used spells such as lower/raise land, tremor, freeze, pillar of flame etc.)

unit screen - option to remove buffs from selected unit (similar to city screen essence buffs - the govern>enchantments screen works alright, but i for one played the game for more than 100 hrs before i learned from the forum that we can remove buffs from units on that screen - i didn't know a way to do this until then) 

April 3, 2013 2:00:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated.  Keep em coming guys.

Also adding a couple of +1's to a couple of the suggestions I particularly agree with.

April 3, 2013 2:12:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damage potential indicator (bottom right corner of tactical UI when mousing over potential target) needs to update completely especially when using spells and abilities.

April 3, 2013 2:44:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While looting item change "equip" button from auto-equip to jump to equipment screen. So no more auto-equipping but, it would take you directly to the equipment screen for that hero. Or at least add another button for that functionality.

April 3, 2013 3:06:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When upgrading a city, include a button to the city details screen.

April 3, 2013 3:13:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Allow the player the option to delete and/ or edit custom sovereigns and factions on the sovereign/faction creation screens, instead of having to go to the xml files.

I should have included the ability to edit custom sovereigns and factions (bolded above) in my post.

April 3, 2013 3:17:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,
I should have included the ability to edit custom sovereigns and factions (bolded above) in my post.

I'll change it in the OP accordingly.

April 3, 2013 3:33:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We discused something here

http://forums.elementalgame.com/441124

April 3, 2013 3:43:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Allow me to make counter-proposals when the AI contacts me with a potential trade.

April 4, 2013 2:32:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about adding the one about including an event notification when an enemy casts a spell enhancement (curse) on your city?  So we have a way of knowing when it happens.  Also an indicator on the city itself or similar.

Also FWIW, +1 from me for quickslots for strategic spells, and +1 for doing something to the city upgrade screen so you can see the city details.

April 4, 2013 5:46:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like to have the possibility to make notes on the zoomed out map, but I do not know if anyone else misses that.

April 4, 2013 5:46:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Allow the player the option to delete sovereigns and factions on the sovereign/faction creation screens, instead of having to go to the xml files.

That would be really nice.

April 4, 2013 8:42:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like the way xp gains are animated at the end of battle.

I would like to improve it by changing the display from "+n xp" to "Level up!" if the unit gains a level.

April 4, 2013 11:35:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vallu751,
I would like to improve it by changing the display from "+n xp" to "Level up!" if the unit gains a level.

I believe it already does that, and makes a noise?  At least I thought so...

April 4, 2013 11:42:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Unit/Sovereign/Faction Check AI select menu

A system off of the main menu where you can rifle through all the available units, sovereigns and factions that player(s) have created and select which ones you want to be made available for AI use.

Default units should be additionally marked and a special button somewhere to 'reset to defaults' that will uncheck everything and then check the defaults.

There could easily be a method for deleting or editing these within this listing aswell. Obviously deleting defaults would not be allowed...but at least they can be unchecked.

April 4, 2013 1:26:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1.) I would like to see a highlighted version of the target area and target itself on tactical map. If a unit is obstructed its outlines should be made visible using a contrast-rich colour (neon green or blue, like in Age of Empires). I really do have a lot difficulties with targeting sometimes on that map even with the ability to rotate since the only indicated is a feint square on the ground (not so good in town screens) and a cursor which may update or may not.

2.) Since we do have the ability to assign custom idling tasks (Produce Growth/Research/etc.) now it would be nice to have an alternate city list in strategic view where you could hide busy/producing cities and actually only have actually idle cities appearing.

2.1) In that sense it would be nice if cities which finished working on strategic resources are appearing in the event report as well.

3.) What I truly would like is an option to defer an upgrade to a city once it levels up. More often than not I can't really fully inspect unless I remember that corner on the map and its surroundings. If an upgrade is deferred then a level-up icon should appear.

4.) Destruction of buildings by enemies on strategic map is usually reported via dialog but if more than one destruction per turn happens within one turn you better have a good memory! I'd like to see an event item for this generated as well - with its location stored of course.

April 4, 2013 1:55:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

This please.

April 4, 2013 2:11:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated. 

Good stuff folks!

April 4, 2013 5:20:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

new suggestions:

* DPS equivalent rating for weapons with better(green)/worse(red) coloring for clearly better and worse weapons like WOW and Diablo. Evaluating weapons and bonuses is quite difficult right now. This wouldn't solve the issue but it would help. The game doesn't have seconds per say... but it could be adapted to initiative ticks, which I think is the game's equivalent.

* strategic view city list should list idle cities at the top. It is a pain to find your idle cities by scrolling once you have a decent number. Other alternatives would be duping idle cities by creating another list of cities there dedicated to idle cities (would avoid issues with cities jumping location in the cities list).

* better notifications:

ability to turn off certain notification types. Mid and late game building complete and unit trained notifications are just spam, they should probably be grouped by default- truth be told that would probably be enough for me to easily ignore them. I still care about enemies in my territory, undeveloped resources though, and improvement destroyed/captured. Battle victory notifications are especially worthless, I know I just fought the battle which captured the city, I don't need a notification for it... maybe this could go away completely? I can't think of a case where anyone would really want that notification. grouped notifications should display the number of notifications in the group.

* add notification for when a wildland is cleared- regardless of who did the clearing- I want to know so I can participate in the settler rush to take advantage of the newly cleared fertile land.

existing suggestions above I really like:

++ When the city leveling dialog appears, include a button linking to the city details screen

--> it should also center on the city (so you know where the city is on the map, that is mostly how I remember which city is which)

++ potential effect what resources I will gain, type of improvement

--> Everyone here probably knows what they all do already, but this is really important for newer players.

++ Option to remove enchantments on a unit from within the unit's Unit Details screen

--> Even though I know I can't do this I still find myself trying to do it anyways.

++ Quickslots for strategic spells 

++ notification when an enemy curses one of my cities

-->I don't know how common this is- I actually don't think my cities have ever been cursed... but maybe I have never noticed

++ on better initiative display

The most important ones to me seem to be the city level dialogue- really hard for me to tell what I want to make the city when I don't know which city it is, and the strategic idle city list-> turns would just go so much faster with that.

April 4, 2013 5:21:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

also is there a keyboard shortcut for cycling through idle cities? I'm thinking the equivalent of tab for units only for cities.

April 4, 2013 5:28:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jonmdewey,
Mid and late game building complete and unit trained notifications are just spam, they should probably be grouped by default

Grouping notifications is a good idea.  It would also be nice to have some way to go back and look through all the notifications you've received, like a game log or something like that.

Quoting jonmdewey,
* add notification for when a wildland is cleared- regardless of who did the clearing- I want to know so I can participate in the settler rush to take advantage of the newly cleared fertile land.

I like it!

My simple suggestion (posted a couple days ago) is to sort the after battle results sov-first, then champs, then units sorted by level.  The way it is now, the units are all jumbled up.  I think it's the order in which they entered the army.

April 4, 2013 7:26:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have some Heirgamenon requests in this thread.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/442472

April 4, 2013 7:27:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can't let a post about UI get by without chiming in...

#1 PRIORITY for me is that the Empire Tree needs to highlight the currently selected unit/town.  For micromanagers going through a long list in the empire tree, it's easy to lose your place and have to start over again.  FIX IT!  I had a nice lengthy post on this with pretty pictures but can't find it.  Brad probably deleted it.

Here are some others.

Need to know about bad enchantment on city:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/441986

Icons are too small on hero selection screen:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/441624

Selecting multiple treaties at a time:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/441636

Tool tips should compare currently equipped item:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/441628

April 4, 2013 7:51:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like it. A few pie in the sky ideas which probably won't happen but lots of basic essentials too.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: