Combat ends movement - An ElementalDefs Tag would be better than Nothing

By on March 28, 2013 2:19:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Furibar

Join Date 04/2003

Maybe I missed something, a thread in this forum or a game option, but ... I was happy that this "feature" had disappeared from FE (I don't really remember when and I don't know why).

Anyone knows the reason why it is back in LH ? Or how to disable it ? I couldn't find any tag that could solve this in ElementalDefs.

EDIT april 2013

Frogboy told us that they don't plan to change it back. A few options to modify this are discussed in the following posts.

I still think that a tag in ElementalDefs is a fair and simple solution.

Locked Post 48 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 28, 2013 2:37:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I, too, would like to see this changed back (I don't remember combat removing remaining move in the base game). The game rounds are too short to be losing all move after a combat round.

March 28, 2013 2:38:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, it's begun to get on my nerves, kill enemies on a lair only to have the AI steal the rewards from you. I've started doing the same to them it's so annoying. AFAIK this was pretty much the reason for getting rid of it, so you could kill and loot in one turn.

March 28, 2013 6:09:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Makes dealing with AI swarm tactics more annoying. AI frequently attacks with like 5+ stacks that rush into my base looting and pillaging, ignoring my armies that can only stop 1 per turn.

March 28, 2013 7:04:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed. Needs to be changed back.

March 28, 2013 7:12:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed

March 28, 2013 7:27:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed.

March 28, 2013 8:34:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wait, people are talking about two different movements. Do you mean in the tactical battles, how doing an attack or skill does not let that unit move afterward? Or do you mean in the overhead map, how doing combat uses up all of the units movement points and they cannot enter lairs?

March 28, 2013 8:38:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I was sent into WTF fit when I realized I was unable to take my third and fourth moves after a battle.

I wish battle would cost 2 moves which would allow "most units" to end movement afterward but some units not to.

March 28, 2013 8:50:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed this is very annoying, had the same issue as stupidity10 and have also experienced the loot steal issue as well.

March 28, 2013 8:58:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's not likely to change back.  We did this in order to balance against single mega stacks.

March 28, 2013 9:14:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it possible then so that when you kill a stack, or a random mob, you move into its square? So you can kill and loot in one turn? I always thought it was weird that in attacking them I didn't end up in their square once conquered. Chess has already implemented this feature .

March 28, 2013 10:02:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the change, previously movement was too powerful. I agree that after battle you should end up in the target tile though, and get the loot.

March 28, 2013 10:10:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prefer it does not auto-move into the square. Sometimes, I want to kill the monster without leaving my square, especially in defensive attrition wars.

March 28, 2013 10:37:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed. Needs to change back.

March 28, 2013 11:07:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

move ending on combat seems fine to me if helps balance.

March 29, 2013 7:43:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like the alternative of moving into a previously occupied square immediately after combat, in order to scoop loots. For those who don't want to, the current system (no more move after combat) could be re-implemented as a "Defensive Strike".

I also like the "combat costs x move" option, to allow, say, a group with 3 move to attack an adjacent enemy group and wind up with 1 move left after combat, which they can then use to scoop loot or do whatever else (but a group with only 2 move will be SOL).

March 29, 2013 7:55:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If there is unclaimed loot in the square you are fighting over, and you win the fight and the square is now empty, you should get the loot. No need to move into the square, but you should be able to collect the spoils of war after the fight.

March 29, 2013 8:02:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed! Either you move to the square and gain the loot, or just gain the loot. My preference would be to move to the square you just conquered.

With the current system, you could conquer something awesome and have it stolen from you by a rival AI. Doesn't seem right. At least moving to the defeated square is a reasonable compromise.

Heck, you could even add in a Commander trait that allows his army to either not end their turn after battle.

March 29, 2013 11:05:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

IIRC it uses a movement point to attack anyway.

Quoting thadianaphena,
I prefer it does not auto-move into the square. Sometimes, I want to kill the monster without leaving my square, especially in defensive attrition wars.

Keep in mind this change was to encourage the use of multiple stacks.

With the occupy suggestion, don't attack them. If you want to attack just make sure you move other nearby armies to fill the gaps in your defense or use a roaming offensive fly-swatter force. If you're attacking and winning you should be better off defensively. One less army to worry about. Reposition your stacks accordingly. With roads you could pull a force from another front, refill missing troops from the attacking squad, or pool a crappy stack together with some loose units just to slow your enemies down.

Even if there is 1 unit there blocking the enemy, they will waste a turn attacking it. So theoretically as long as you or an enemy can produce enough single units to block an attack. The attacking force will never be able to push forward through the onslaught of single unit stacks. Taking the defenders square helps to avoid this.

Also when you attack a city. You occupy it on the same turn. (In FE I believe. Yet to do this in LH however)

March 29, 2013 11:18:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Schweiz,
Even if there is 1 unit there blocking the enemy, they will waste a turn attacking it. So theoretically as long as you or an enemy can produce enough single units to block an attack. The attacking force will never be able to push forward through the onslaught of single unit stacks. Taking the defenders square helps to avoid this.

Also when you attack a city. You occupy it on the same turn. (In FE I believe. Yet to do this in LH however)

An extremely good point. I hate getting mired in my assault efforts because I have to deflect to take out random weak enemy units to prevent them from becoming a problem (pillagers, for example), which effectively ends my turn.

I suppose, yes, I could use multiple stacks, but I generally can't afford that (unless I'm using units with no cost except production).

Also, on the other point, yes, you do take a hostile city the same turn you clear it out.

March 29, 2013 11:19:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm okay with it. Usually you have a Mancer hero tagging along that can stay back, pick up the lair stuff and then catch up due to his +1 bonus.

For dealing with multiple stragglers and such scenarios, you can split up your stack into 2-3 smaller ones.

March 29, 2013 3:25:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
It's not likely to change back. We did this in order to balance against single mega stacks.

Ok ! ... And what about a tag in ElementalDefs ?

Quoting hedetet,
For dealing with multiple stragglers and such scenarios, you can split up your stack into 2-3 smaller ones.

If you split an army having movement bonuses to grab something, you loose these bonuses for one turn when the army is gathered (I'm not sure that's what you meant but it's still true)

April 3, 2013 5:20:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please change it back, it's far too annoying, that the ai always steals cleared spots...

April 3, 2013 7:04:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or provide an option to automatically take the square if you just defeated the last enemy on it.

April 3, 2013 2:16:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It's not likely to change back.  We did this in order to balance against single mega stacks.

When was balance ever a consideration in real warfare?   Ever heard of blitzkrieg?

(Actually, I have no idea about what you mean by balance.)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: