Features

New Warrior trait tree

Removed Axeman 3
Removed Bruiser 3
Removed Lethal 4
Removed Lethal 5
Removed Swordsman 3
Pack Tactics can now be learned as a warrior ability
Added the Parry warrior skill (grants an additional counterattack with any weapon)
Added the Reckless warrior skill (increases attack, lowers defense)
Added the Blade Rush warrior ability (charge through a line of up to 3 enemies, damaging them all)
Added the Decimate warrior ability (attack that does additional damage for every member of the enemy group)
Uncontrolled Rage can now be learned as a warrior ability
Added the Expert Spearman warrior ability (+25% Attack when Impaling)
Added the Master Spearman warrior ability (+50% Attack when Impaling)

MaxTotalTileYield can now be set in ElementalDefs.xml (for modders)

New system for weapon upgrades where we can define types (so axemen always upgrade with axes, swordsmen with blades, etc). http://screencast.com/t/hFi0HwYz

Axes are now 2 handed (to remain consistent and support axe upgrades at all tiers)
Short Sword moved to Blacksmithing
Pike moved to War Colleges
Removed the Greatswords
Added the Great Axe (so there is a late game axe, all the trained blades are now 1 handed and upgrade to the longsword and Boreal Blade)
All Mauls are now 1 handed and have their damage reduced (the Gilden Sledge damage is reduced only slightly 

Added the Pendulum Axe (late game axe that does bonus cleave damage)

Fixes

Fixed a hang when you open up the army screen on units that aren't yours

Fixed an issue displaying the unit path if you have a subunit selected

Fixed an issue that could cause champions not to get placed if there isnt an empty tile around your sovereign

40% less Ogre Crotch (we are getting close to 0 Ogre Crotch)

Fixed an issue keeping Raza the Wild from animating when he was using a magic staff

Fixed an issue where Apiary's weren't giving their unrest bonus

Fixed an issue where Ancient temples weren't giving their research bonus

Fixed a bug that could cause units to point the wrong way at the start of a tactical battle

Fixed the Curse spell

Fixed an issue making Trainer 4 upgrade from Trainer 2

Fixed the Heart of the Glacier's Blizzard ability

Fixed a hang in tactical combat with high move units on small maps

Fixed crashes

Balance

Removed the cast time from the Demonic Ally spell

Maul reduces accuracy by 15% per attack, instead of by 15 points

All tactical summons that effect surrounding enemies can now be cast anywhere (instead of just beside enemies)

Holhiarn Pike does bonus Impale damage instead of giving an accuracy bonus

Decreased starting point min distance from 12 to 10

Decreased min distance between improvements from 4 to 2

Now when you get a shield from a goodie hut it won't allow you to equip it form the item popup if you have a 2 handed weapon equipped (since it would leave you without a weapon)

Switched the Braided Belt from Blacksmithing to Armor

Attacks on prone units always hit

Prone units show their counterattack hit chance as 0%

Yithril's Great Axes faction ability (renamed to Axe Mastery) gives them dual wield versions of all the axes.  They cost more to produce and buy but they have higher attack and init.

AI

Overhaul of AI for use with Legendary Heroes

AI more flexible with its tax rate

AI does a better job of choosing its technologies based on world conditions

AI's focus on defending cities varies based on which player it is playing as

Fixed stupid bug that negated all the intelligence behind city upgrading (the order of the items in the vector is was choosing from got randomized by the function that gathered them resulting in random choices). This alone makes a huge improvement.

AI much better about choosing units to train (you should see a lot more mounted units)

AI now bases its economic / miltiary trade offs more based on what player it is playing as

AI bases whether to train pioneers versus letting a city upgrade to the next level on what player it is playing as

AI places more value on the perks a unit design has when deciding what unit to train

AI much better at differentiating the stats of a unit when picking what design to use based on what type a unit it is (i.e. archers / vs. melee, etc.)

AI unit design algorithm updated based on the tactical battle setups in LH

AI unit design algorithm now takes into consideration the personality of its sovereign

AI uses strategic spells more often (still not often enough, working on this)

Fixed AI bug where an AI player could bribe another AI player to declare war on a third player without taking non-aggression pacts into account

Fixed AI bug that made it hard for AI players to ever go to peace with one another

AI monsters more intelligent in tactical battles (no more webbing ranged units)

UI

Consolidated places where armor pieces are shown in the UI to just show one piece that represents the whole set (you can still design with specific pieces in the unit design window)

Switched the order of the appearance tabs in the create sovereign window to the order most players go through

New water, reflective, partially transparent, instant water! (just add water)

The city HUD now shows how many turns are left in constructing/training

The tile info window now shows the owner of owned terrain

Locked Post 109 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 29, 2013 10:12:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For the Commander line, how about a Campaigner skill that provides a global unrest reduction that stacks over three levels (which I think is the direction being taken for skills previously having five levels) and also provides a once-off gildar injection for each level.  The numbers would need to be balanced, but my idea post is here.  I don't think Elemental, FE or LH is particularly about heroes sitting in a city getting experience, so instead of a one city administrator bonus, you could have a smaller global Campaigner stacking unrest reduction bonus for all cities, that is balanced against other skills and Paths and is also modified by map size.

March 29, 2013 10:25:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can you allow any non standard armor to not upgrade to standard armor?  For example, Monks robes would be not upgraded when upgrading armor, but all other regular armor pieces would.  Otherwise, obey what the player says when designed a unit for which items are upgradeable and which aren't.

March 29, 2013 10:53:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
I agree the mancy spells should be in the spellbooks and removed from the mage line.
Summoning tree should give unique summons, like summon shrills, summon assassin demon, etc.

This!

Summoning traits shouldn't unlock a single unit!

There needs to be multiple units per trait or thats just too many traits. The best way to do it would be a trait that lets you summon any shrill you have a matching element with.

We definitely shouldn't be forced to unlock spells like ice elemental to go further up the summoning tree. We don't get a lot of levels and to have to wait like three to get something even a little interesting is brutal.

Also please dont encourage cliche OP builds like Volcanic rites does. We don't need to encourage pure fire destruction late game, what needs late game love is everything else, how about traits that make buffing/healing and cursing better?

March 29, 2013 11:04:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are there plans to revisit each skill tree?

Defender and Assassin in particular need some love, too

March 29, 2013 11:39:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,

For the Commander line, how about a Campaigner skill that provides a global unrest reduction that stacks over three levels (which I think is the direction being taken for skills previously having five levels) and also provides a once-off gildar injection for each level.  The numbers would need to be balanced, but my idea post is here.  I don't think Elemental, FE or LH is particularly about heroes sitting in a city getting experience, so instead of a one city administrator bonus, you could have a smaller global Campaigner stacking unrest reduction bonus for all cities, that is balanced against other skills and Paths and is also modified by map size.

I like this idea.

Adding to this, the trainer skills need to be re-imagined and unlocked right away.  By the time you can get em it's almost too late in the game to be of any use.

Commanders should also be able to issue simple orders to adjacent units (3-in-a-line) like:

• attack (+1 attack) or
  • caution (+ 5 dodge) or
  • hold line (all units enter defensive stance) or
  • all out attack (+50% attack, no dodge) or
  • harry (+50% swarm bonus).

Giving an order would count as the Commander's action.

March 29, 2013 11:47:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yeah trainer skills should be early in the tree.  after the trainer skills should be some cool buffs/abilities to give to your army. i mean, once you have mastered the ability to train your troops, the next step is your troops kicking some butt with your guidance.

March 29, 2013 12:00:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With all the stuff being said about the commander, what is the point of the defender class? It seems to me that the commander is the combination of the defender and the former governor?

March 29, 2013 12:19:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Idk, I think defenders are pretty cool just being tanks, and having some nice defensive abilities.  The Rescue ability is pretty awesome.

March 29, 2013 12:37:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DevildogFF,

I second that

Quoting mqpiffle,
Idk, I think defenders are pretty cool just being tanks, and having some nice defensive abilities. The Rescue ability is pretty awesome.

True, but defenders get way too few hitpoints to be good tanks.

March 29, 2013 12:44:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What if each city could be assigned a governor. The governor wouldn't have to be present to buff the city? I just don't like the guy having to babysit a city all day. It doesn't feel very heroic.

March 29, 2013 12:52:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting hit0kiri,

Quoting DevildogFF, reply 29

I second that

Quoting mqpiffle, reply 33Idk, I think defenders are pretty cool just being tanks, and having some nice defensive abilities. The Rescue ability is pretty awesome.

True, but defenders get way too few hitpoints to be good tanks.

I'd like to see skills like "'taunt" added to the defender's skill tree. Hell, I think that you can look to just about any MMO for skills that make sense for the "'tank". 

March 29, 2013 12:59:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been considering this, too:

Do away with the Defender class. Use a skill tree on the warrior path to fill that role. In its place, break the mages in to two different classes. First, the Support Mage class: it can be the summoner/buffer class. Flesh it out a little bit.

Second, make the Battle Mage class: it can have new attack spells and directly inflict damage and the like. 

There are too many warrior-like classes for a "world of magic". This would emphasize the spell-casting side of the game and universe and provide more game-changing choices. 

March 29, 2013 1:43:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My random thoughts...

Mancy spells:

The mancy spells are additional unique spells for the mage class only and should stay in the skill chart.  I know that screen real estate is a problem, but they should all branch from the same parent... or just let them float on a line without a parent and you can pick any one you want.  I don't think summon spells should be part of the mancy spells.

Affinity:

I would bring affinity in closer because by the time you get to it, you don't care about 10% less casting cost because you have 1000 mana.

March 29, 2013 4:18:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DevildogFF,

I've been considering this, too:

Do away with the Defender class. Use a skill tree on the warrior path to fill that role. In its place, break the mages in to two different classes. First, the Support Mage class: it can be the summoner/buffer class. Flesh it out a little bit.

Second, make the Battle Mage class: it can have new attack spells and directly inflict damage and the like. 

There are too many warrior-like classes for a "world of magic". This would emphasize the spell-casting side of the game and universe and provide more game-changing choices. 

I agree. We have an archer class, two warrior classes (defender and warrior), a mage class, and a pseudodefender/warrior/governor class. With all the spells and magic about, why not split the mage into two?

March 29, 2013 4:25:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When it comes to summoning, there should be two different types:

Of the first type, tactical summoning: This occurs when you are on the battlefield and wish to have some assistance from a summoned unit. There may be a casting time for such a summon. There probably should be be limitations to the number that can be summoned (one of each type). Either way, once the combat has resolved, the summoned creature goes back from whence it came.

Of the second type, strategic summoning: This should occur whenever the player wants to summon a creature without restriction to the number that can be summoned. However, there should be a turn duration for this summoning depending on the creature being summoned. Do you want to have your caster spend the next 3 turns summoning a Fire Elemental? If this is where you've focused, you can have a whole army of summoned fire elementals roaming the country side. Obviously the pro is the freeing of the queue time at the cities....but the con is that you are consuming hero time where he could be questing or participating in combats.

Imo, this system really Really REALLY needs to be implemented.

March 29, 2013 11:12:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think having two mage classes is a good idea.

Personally I would go with your classic Mage and also a Druid 

Mage:  - Summoning (non elementals), Magic damage spells (non elemental), Dispels, etc

Druid: - Protector and rejuvinator of the land, elemental damage spells and elemental summons, charm monsters, perhaps even SHAPECHANGE!

Also cool spells like imprisonment where an enemy unit is imprisoned for a few turns depending on their power is great.

A shapechanging Hero would be the ultimate

March 30, 2013 9:23:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does anyone know how work progresses on the 0.52 update and when it will be available on Steam ?

March 30, 2013 10:46:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As I understand things, the patches release approximately every Thursday.

March 30, 2013 3:46:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Derek mentioned once per week unless:

• it's a fixing a critical flaw
  • the fix will potentially cause more bugs than it fixes

The last patch came on Tuesday 3/26 I believe, so there you go.

April 2, 2013 1:16:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MaxTotalTileYield can now be set in ElementalDefs.xml (for modders)

This would be even more helpful if MaxTileYield Essence, MaxTileYieldGrain and MaxTileYieldMaterials could be individually set.

This is because after tinkering around with tile production, i noticed a few unmentioned reasons for the hard cap.

1. the game would just give odd city combos like 6 grain, 2 materials and 2 essence. This isn't a bad thing, however I might want to cap Grain at 5, or essence at 3 for example. This way the "hard cap" can be used to "normalize" tiles.

In said instance, I would be able to set a hard cap of all cities to 10, with no more than 5 grain, 4 materials and 3 essence.

Just a thought

Oh and I will say it until its fixed or addressed.

Governors Mansion has <ArtDef> FarmersMarket

and

Trainer4 has Trainer2 as <Prereq> instead of Trainer3.

April 2, 2013 3:00:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When?

April 2, 2013 9:07:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DevildogFF,
When?

When people at stardock start looking at the forums again. I believe they are play testing it right now It's been aweful quiet on their side...

April 2, 2013 11:01:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

we were closed Friday and Monday for Easter.  But we are back and working now (and Brad worked on the AI all break, that guy is always working).

April 2, 2013 11:09:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like an awesome patch.

Whats going on with Great Axes though?  Did we just lose a bunch of custom weapons or did they get moved? Its always sad to see faction diversity go down, I'm still not over Umber....

April 2, 2013 11:21:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New system for weapon upgrades where we can define types (so axemen always upgrade with axes, swordsmen with blades, etc). http://screencast.com/t/hFi0HwYz

Very Nice.

It would also be cool to have some of the starting weapons' weight be equalized with their upgrades as well. For instance clubs are lighter then hammers, and daggers are lighter then swords. Right now if you design an efficient clubman and upgrade him he will become encumbered, which is counter intuitive.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: