storm dragons...

By on March 24, 2013 3:50:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

pexx421

Join Date 03/2010
+1

okay, these guys rock hard.  I got two of them, and can send in a single storm dragon alone to stomp any enemy city.  I really enjoy this...but seems a bit overpowered.  Maybe its just that they start out at level 16, which puts them higher level than any of my guys, including my sov.  Seems like once you get dance with dragons (nice props to G.R. Martin) the game is over, as you just faceroll over the rest of the map.

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 24, 2013 4:52:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How you recruit them? I once researched Dance with dragons but wasn't able to recruit any of them. 

March 24, 2013 5:36:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

you need a dragon lair(cave) in your territory, then build an improvement on it, and after the improvement completes you get a dragon.

harpo

March 25, 2013 8:29:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks a lot

March 25, 2013 8:39:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My last game I had three dragon camps; of course, I had the game well in hand by then but I had fun stomping a couple Gilden cities before casting the Spell of Making.

March 25, 2013 9:04:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sky Drakes (namely blue lightning dragons) were the game over unit in MOM as well. Still was fun as hell romping around the map with a stack of them and just crushing my enemies. This is also why the game will never be a good multiplayer game. Too unbalanced and can never be because Stardock said they would never balance the multiplayer game in favor of the single player game. ;_)

March 25, 2013 1:49:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyone ever seen the AI get dragons? I swear I saw an AI building a dragon camp on a lair, but I defeated him before it could finish. 

March 25, 2013 5:11:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting joeherbert48,
Stardock said they would never balance the multiplayer game in favor of the single player game
I feel that if the single player was correctly balanced, then multiplayer would be fairly OK...

March 26, 2013 7:22:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davrovana,

Anyone ever seen the AI get dragons? I swear I saw an AI building a dragon camp on a lair, but I defeated him before it could finish. 

Yep, they will. Relias (Red guy) was rampaging with two of those things.  Both of the camps were on the other side of the map from me as well with one of his cities. That resulted in one heck of a stall in the middle of the map I was on where it squeezed down to a three grid pass. The city in the middle of that pass got taken and retaken so many times it wasn't even funny. Namely because any time it was taken, the other had to stop a replenish troops there. And by that point, the other was ready to go again. Or the dragons were back up.

March 26, 2013 10:03:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kinda hilarious how crappy the lvl1 ashwake dragon you get from the quest is compared.... that quest dragon really should be same level as those camp versions.  He might be stronger but if he dies he wont respawn.

March 26, 2013 10:10:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I want dragons!!

March 27, 2013 11:59:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting davrovana,

Yes, they do. Just had a tactical battle with Storm Dragon on both sides

March 27, 2013 1:43:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I managed to get a storm dragon and it was crazy strong... the 3x3 tile aoe fire breath just destroys large enemies and with its tail sweep its even more brutal.

Add in a commander sov with high initiative (for the command ability) and you can get both aoe off with the dragon and.... well its over.

March 27, 2013 3:20:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think this is so unbalanced at all. It seems that the "Dance with dragons" is just another ending to the game just like the forge of the overlord, only more satisfying than building a few buildings and casting a spell. It is made for games that have drug on for much longer than they should have. The tech is placed at the farthest end of the tech tree, so it seems like it was deliberately put there as a game ender to me. Whoever researches it first, and takes the dragon lairs, wins.

March 28, 2013 7:26:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, the tech is in the civics tree. Deliberately, no doubt. An alternate "win" condition for those that emphasized general research over warfare/magic (Spell Of Making requires intensive magic research to get to early)

March 29, 2013 1:55:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zwollenaer,

I don't think this is so unbalanced at all. It seems that the "Dance with dragons" is just another ending to the game just like the forge of the overlord, only more satisfying than building a few buildings and casting a spell. It is made for games that have drug on for much longer than they should have. The tech is placed at the farthest end of the tech tree, so it seems like it was deliberately put there as a game ender to me. Whoever researches it first, and takes the dragon lairs, wins.

I tend to agree with this ^ as Sky Drakes in MOM came very late in the tech tree. But, ooooohhhh they are sooooooo much fun to play with for a little while before you finally decide the game is over.

This brings me to the want of a conquered percentage adjustment at the start of the game. The player picks how much area needs to be conquered and determines the game is over. One shouldn't have to conquer 100% of the map to win domination or conquer. Even Galactic Civ II has this feature if I recall? Some game(s) have it I know though.

March 29, 2013 2:01:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm surprised you didn't finish the enemy off before you got to the Dragon research, takes so long to get there, probably could have steamrolled them many turns ago with plain cavalry.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001719   Page Render Time: