[Request] Imbalanced weapon distrubution

By on March 22, 2013 1:17:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nichtganz

Join Date 02/2008
+1

At the moment the weapon distribution in the game is fairly imbalanced. Most of the weapons that drop are swords, and the like. There is a lack of Axes, bows, and other weapons. I think the real problem is at the epic or deadly level loot. The only 'epic' weapon that isn't a sword is Curgen's Hammer. I'd suggest adding additional quests and/or additional items drops off 'bosses' such as Dilan and other "World Bosses". I think fleshing out the game with more epic level quests and better loot to scale heroes against the doomsday squads we see towards the end of the game. The expansion is called legendary heroes after-all.

Weapon types:

Dagger

Sword

Mace

Axe

Bow

Crossbow

Spear

Staff

Locked Post 27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 22, 2013 1:23:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kind of agree with this from my experience in FE, not sure about LH yet as I haven't finished a game yet.

But in FE I would get 10 swords or daggers per something else. With mage's staves being the least common. Though I would say that swords should be very common as they are one of the most used weapons..

March 24, 2013 12:13:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've put more thought into it, what if they were to add more weapons to the 'magic weapons' in the magic tree? Not gamebreakingly powerful but more powerful than weapons you'd typically give to troops.

March 24, 2013 3:19:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who wants more staves to drop?  They are all terrible.  They need to come with a built in block bonus to be worth anything.  I get lots of those useless clubs, and a fair number of staves.  Almost never a ranged weapon (at least not anything worthwhile), and yes, more swords and daggers than other weapons, but blunt and axes too.  Decent spears turn up reasonably often.

March 24, 2013 3:25:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We are talking of ones of actual power, sort of like curgen's hammer, heart seeker, sycthe of the void, etc. 

March 24, 2013 7:56:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Totally agree, would also like to see loot drops scale with monster power a bit, just defeated two brood hunters and 3 black widows and got a practice sword with my stack that had just cleared Vertrar's icy wildlands.  I don't mind the occasional *psych* empty chest, but I am so sick of rusty armor bits.

March 25, 2013 8:26:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Seth Gaines,

Who wants more staves to drop?  They are all terrible.  They need to come with a built in block bonus to be worth anything.  I get lots of those useless clubs, and a fair number of staves.  Almost never a ranged weapon (at least not anything worthwhile), and yes, more swords and daggers than other weapons, but blunt and axes too.  Decent spears turn up reasonably often.

True, no decent staves and no bows at all (or at least very very rare drop). 

March 26, 2013 12:11:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NaytchSG,

Totally agree, would also like to see loot drops scale with monster power a bit, just defeated two brood hunters and 3 black widows and got a practice sword with my stack that had just cleared Vertrar's icy wildlands.  I don't mind the occasional *psych* empty chest, but I am so sick of rusty armor bits.

The lack of reward from quests is certainly a problem with the questing aspects of the game. I've completed an epic level quest and gotten some pretty sour loot. I'm hoping during the beta process Hero leveling and Hero loot will be overhauled.

March 26, 2013 12:20:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wish that a lot of the magic or special weapons that did drop would be much better.  There are things like blessed hammers and such, that are really piss poor items. 

March 26, 2013 1:03:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the game I'm currently playing I've gotten a pretty even distribution of drops (including 3 bows and 3 axes).  The bows are pretty good, but armies are set up for my champs to melee so I don't use them.

March 26, 2013 1:38:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think one of the biggest problems is the lack of loot scaling with monster difficulty.  

i.e.  A letter of marque early in a game is quite helpful.  Getting one just after researching 4 man armies, not so much.  Of course, if I defeated a weak stack of bandits, that's fine.  But as alluded to above by Nichtganz, and as I posted in this FE thread,

http://forums.elementalgame.com/437025  defeating an Elemental Lord should grant me more than a rusty armor bit.

And I hope they implement some fame rewards for epic city defenses or disparate power-ranked battles.  

March 26, 2013 3:22:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i agree that some more high powered hammers and axes would be nice, and of course there's a lack of bows, too (actually, the lack of bows could be fixed by increasing the drop chance of the super awesome shocking longbow - if you can grab one of those, your archer hero will never need another upgrade again).

caster staves are fairly useless, though. i always end up using a fast dagger with extra initiative and bonus crit chance/crit damage on my caster heroes - that's usually more powerful than a staff with a tiny bit of extra spelldamage or spell mastery and nothing else.

maybe the accumulated fame could also trigger small random events like "a merchant has come to town XY, attracted by stories of your great deeds, he has some artifacts for sale. do you want to buy the Axe of Roflstomping or the Hammer of Pwnage for X gildar?". so you could basically gat some good items for your high level sov without relying entirely on luck.

March 26, 2013 3:28:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Azunai_,
maybe the accumulated fame could also trigger small random events like "a merchant has come to town XY, attracted by stories of your great deeds, he has some artifacts for sale. do you want to buy the Axe of Roflstomping or the Hammer of Pwnage for X gildar?". so you could basically gat some good items for your high level sov without relying entirely on luck.

for that idea

March 26, 2013 3:34:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sweatyboatman,

Quoting Azunai_, reply 11maybe the accumulated fame could also trigger small random events like "a merchant has come to town XY, attracted by stories of your great deeds, he has some artifacts for sale. do you want to buy the Axe of Roflstomping or the Hammer of Pwnage for X gildar?". so you could basically gat some good items for your high level sov without relying entirely on luck.

for that idea

I heartily second!! 

March 26, 2013 4:06:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Azunai_,

Great idea, MoM had this as well iirc.

Though I still pine for an item crafting/creation system like MoM had.

March 26, 2013 8:03:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Azunai_,
i agree that some more high powered hammers and axes would be nice, and of course there's a lack of bows, too (actually, the lack of bows could be fixed by increasing the drop chance of the super awesome shocking longbow - if you can grab one of those, your archer hero will never need another upgrade again).

caster staves are fairly useless, though. i always end up using a fast dagger with extra initiative and bonus crit chance/crit damage on my caster heroes - that's usually more powerful than a staff with a tiny bit of extra spelldamage or spell mastery and nothing else.

Great suggestion!

March 26, 2013 11:02:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great Ideas in this thread. I really would like some decent mid-late game staffs and bows.

It would help if more quests had choice rewards I think, not just metal or a shield but a bow or an axe.

March 27, 2013 6:18:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Stupidity10,
Great Ideas in this thread. I really would like some decent mid-late game staffs and bows.

It would help if more quests had choice rewards I think, not just metal or a shield but a bow or an axe.

Being able to choose rewards would certainly go a long way. I hope during the beta questing and hero XP will be overhauled. Heroes are quite weak as far as the game is concerned (Excluding Magnar and Resoln).

March 27, 2013 7:27:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
What about a hall-of-fame building that a town can build? Then heroes can donate their trophies to it and the town gets added bonuses - gildar and decreased unrest perhaps? Maybe it could be time-limited so that a hero has to keep donating.
March 28, 2013 1:46:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agree, I am a spear man myself.

Where are the good spears?

March 28, 2013 4:55:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting random_thoughts_7,

What about a hall-of-fame building that a town can build? Then heroes can donate their trophies to it and the town gets added bonuses - gildar and decreased unrest perhaps? Maybe it could be time-limited so that a hero has to keep donating.

That's an absolutely fantastic idea! Get a magic item from a quest or lair or something and have an option to donate it to your Hall of Heroes.

March 30, 2013 5:58:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ronin313,

Agree, I am a spear man myself.

Exactly.... The ice spear would be sooo much better if it had the ability to slow an enemy like the touch of an ice elemental.

March 30, 2013 7:08:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ronin313,

IIRC there's a spear called "Champion Spear" that has decent base damage and adds another +2 damage per level. Best weapon in the game, that I've seen, assuming it hasn't been nerfed/removed in LH.

It's not that the weapon variety doesn't exist, it's just that the game wants to keep dropping the same few items over and over all game every game. There's a very large number of items I've only ever seen drop once in all my time playing FE and LH, and a very small number of items I've seen drop a hundred times, nothing in between.

Edit: Personally I'd like to see the vast majority of weapons and armors added to the tech tree (and/or faction traits). There'd be so many more troop options and you could actually plan a hero around special items that you could spend a ton of gold on if you never see drop.

April 1, 2013 7:35:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just defeated a Forest Drake and 2 3-beast squads of Pack Drakes and won a Short Sword!!  Um... can I pass this and bid on the next Showcase?

April 1, 2013 8:03:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Killed the Pyre of Man!

Got Rusty Vambraces....

April 5, 2013 12:03:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it's time to raise this thread from the dead. With 0.75 Axes were evenly distributed across the factions (and a single ok axe was added to loot lists). The problem with items with similar attack power to purchasable weapons is the fact that they fall off late game in such a painful and obvious way. Consider how the Great Axe (Now attack power 21, 25 for Yithril), does the same damage but in an endgame squad it has seven members doing that damage. Quest items mostly just suck as does the loot. Stupidity10 mentioned above he killed the Pyre of man but didn't receive a unique item other than rusty vambraces.

My suggestion is to give the player a menu after killing an important monster/boss to allow them to choose a weapon of their choice. Each Epic level monster should have unique item drops all of which should be powerful.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: