Legendary Heroes Beta Now Available

The fantasy strategy game - Fallen Enchantress - has expanded!

By on March 21, 2013 12:49:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

FE Legendary Heroes_IconThe new expansion, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is now available for beta access.

Get access to the beta TODAY and the final version upon release.

Legendary Heroes is more than a traditional expansion pack and more of a top to bottom improvement to the core game play. The graphics are substantially better, the game design tighter, the game play swifter and the world richer with more monsters, spells, quests and more.

What's new in this expansion?

• NEW Champion System - build fame to attract legendary heroes to your cause
  • NEW Monsters - The dead have risen across Elemental! Beware!
  • Larger Maps - A new map size "Huge" available for even more epic game play
  • NEW Graphics Engine - vastly improves the graphics even as it improves performance
  • Better tactical battles - more intense, more strategic and more menacing

Much Much More, visit http://forums.elementalgame.com/441387

How to get access to the beta:
For players adventurous enough (or crazy enough) to try it before the game’s even done, we now have a public beta available. http://tinyurl.com/d5tmdlk

Fallen Enchantress owners:
Upgrade to it for $19.99. Don’t have Fallen Enchantress? No problem, you can purchase it stand-alone for $39.99. http://tinyurl.com/d8694sn

War of Magic owners special option:
Players who bought War of Magic before November of 2010 get Legendary Heroes as part of their original purchase! You don’t have to sign up. It’ll automatically be added to your Stardock account and a Steam serial number will be sent to you to get it when it’s available! http://tinyurl.com/cocte9n

Steamworks supported:
Legendary Heroes makes use of SteamworksTM for achievements and sets the stage for future workshop integration. Everyone who buys Legendary Heroes gets a Steam™ key even if you purchase it directly.

FE Legendary Heroes Beta 1_SS LH-3 LH-5
LH-9 LH-12 LH-13
Locked Post 105 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 23, 2013 12:42:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have LH, and it's been very satisfactory so far. I don't want to go back to play regular Fallen Enchantress. My only complaint would be that it took a couple of turns for it to feel really very different from FE. Perhaps just some new assets? *shrugs* dunno. 

March 23, 2013 1:13:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am going to have to think about this.

My sole objection to Steam has always been that it allows another party to control whether I can access my games.

March 23, 2013 1:28:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jalicos,
I am going to have to think about this.

My sole objection to Steam has always been that it allows another party to control whether I can access my games.

Yeppers STEAM OWNS YOUR games always and forever. If you do something THEY don't like they can not let you play ANY of them and ban your account forever. Games you PAID for do not belong to you on Steam. That is why it's better to get games from Gamersgate or GOG or just about any other service out there besides STEAM, EA and EA's Origon client. But, they took away our "Gamers Bill of Rights" the big HYPE Frogboy made up when Galactic Civilizations came out and how they would never do anything like this to us. Well look where they are now!

March 23, 2013 3:49:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Let's just say Steam can kiss my @ss.  My downloaded transaction with them is AFU.  Brilliant.

March 23, 2013 4:15:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought the same thing as you Willie.  How they had their big deal about Gamers Rights and bad and good DRM and then they go require steam for LH.  To be honest as silly as it sounds I do feel a little betrayed by stardock now. 

I'm always fine with steam being an option for purchase but I have problems when its required.  Steam works most of the time for me but the times it doesn't is what the problem is.  I had it update itself and then break when it was set for offline mode,  I've had games refusing to launch in offline mode until I connected to the internet again.  I've had skyrim update itself even after being set not to thus breaking my heavily moded game for possibly weeks until new mod patches came out.  I don't like going to start a game only to have steam tell me it needs to update itself first.  I've had many of these problems in the last couple of months so it is not even a "oh steam is better now thing".  And I just don't like supporting something that refuses to give me a refund for a game that won't launch and can take away all of the games I paid for if they decide they want to.

GoG will always get my money first and steam will always be last if at all.  I once thought the same of stardock products but it turns out that won't be the case anymore.  Looks like my money will be going to the new Eador game coming out sometime this year.

March 23, 2013 7:29:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love Steam and find having LH on it to be nothing but a convenience.

I am really enjoying the game, as well.

March 23, 2013 12:46:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I do not know what is worse, whether Stardock is in big trouble so it was forced to cancel its "Gamers Bill of Rights" or Stardock canceled it on its own will.

Steam as an option is ok, but as requirement is a bad thing.

And please Kael or someone from Stardock please confirm that LH requires Steam!

I was not able to find minimal system requirements for LH on stardock site, http://www.vgrequirements.info says nothing about Steam is required. Please add steam to requirements (when they will be published) to be clear.

March 23, 2013 1:04:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, as has been stated numerous times, the Gamers Bill of Rights was about draconian DRM, not avoiding it completely (to be fair, the refund aspect, however, does seem to have a bit of an issue with any Steam-oriented approach but then again it's not as if this game is going to need a refund mechanism).  Steam is far from draconian as far as I'm concerned.  You can download the game as much as you want, install it and play it on as many machines as you want, and it doesn't require an internet connection to play once installed.   I'm not seeing a whole lot of negatives aside from those derived from you purchasing a license as opposed to a retail product.

And yes, Alliandre, it requires Steam as it is a Steamworks game.

March 23, 2013 1:33:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you for confirmation although I would prefer to hear it from some official person.

Quoting Star Dragon,
the Gamers Bill of Rights was about draconian DRM, not avoiding it completely

The Gamers Bill of Rights was not about DRM only. I will just cite

4. Gamers shall have the right to have their games not require a third-party download manager installed in order for the game to function

You might also want to check items 8-10 from the Bill. I am not sure whether Steam installs any drivers so that item 6 is in the case.

March 23, 2013 1:47:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I downloaded LH last night and I am only upset because the game is so good it made me stay up late!!! Stardock has done a terrific job evolving the series with this one. I look forward to DLCs and whatever comes next. Spectacular expansion guys.

March 23, 2013 5:56:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Quoting crimsongekko, reply 6wait, is steam SUPPORTED or REQUIRED? i.e. am I forced to install it to play LH?

LH uses Steamworks, Steam will be required.

Here you go.  Steam will be required.

March 24, 2013 11:20:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have found the official answer. As it's stated on LS page in Stardock store:

The free Steam application is required to install and play this game

March 24, 2013 11:37:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am very happy to see this project continue. 

I am not happy about steam.  I hate it.  I detest it.  I know I'm in the minority.  I still have the right to voice my opinions about it.  I'll  also swear and call you names like I did Firaxis for doing this with Civ 5  (but this won't go farther than my computer room).  Just give me another way to download without steam please.  

March 24, 2013 9:08:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Quoting crimsongekko,
reply 6
wait, is steam SUPPORTED or REQUIRED? i.e. am I forced to install it to play LH?

Disappointed I am!  I still don't use Steamworks, and I don't plan to now.  I guess that means I won't be playing Legendary Heros, either during the Beta testing period, or the Retail purchasing period.  As one of the guys who participated in the Fallen Enchantress Beta Test, for 6 months, I find this all to be doubly disappointing.  I don't see why Stardock can't also make the new title available from their own Storefront, without needing a Steam key to play the game.  Does Steam really require this kind of exclusivity, to treat a software development company decently?

On a somewhat related Note, I can no longer access Impulse on my computer system.  It simply will not download -- ever; and that means I can no longer play Galactic Civilizations II - Dread Lords, which I bought a few years ago, when Impulse was part of Stardock.  I feel as if I am being shut out of Stardock's consumer community.  This is a poor way to treat customers!  (In fairness, I suppose it is possible that the Impulse glitch is somehow related to some problem with my old computer; but this is the situation I am stuck in, at least for the present.)

So, Adios to my friends in the Stardock's user community.  Maybe I will join you again some day ...  Take Care !

March 24, 2013 9:47:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OrionM42,

Quoting Island Dog,
reply 10

Quoting crimsongekko,
reply 6
wait, is steam SUPPORTED or REQUIRED? i.e. am I forced to install it to play LH?

Disappointed I am!  I still don't use Steamworks, and I don't plan to now.  I guess that means I won't be playing Legendary Heros, either during the Beta testing period, or the Retail purchasing period.  As one of the guys who participated in the Fallen Enchantress Beta Test, for 6 months, I find this all to be doubly disappointing.  I don't see why Stardock can't also make the new title available from their own Storefront, without needing a Steam key to play the game.  Does Steam really require this kind of exclusivity, to treat a software development company decently?

On a somewhat related Note, I can no longer access Impulse on my computer system.  It simply will not download -- ever; and that means I can no longer play Galactic Civilizations, which I bought a couple of years ago, when Impulse was part of Stardock.  I feel as if I am being shut out of Stardock's consumer community.  This is a poor way to treat customers!  (In fairness, I suppose it is possible that the Impulse glitch is somehow related to some problem with my old computer; but this is the situation I am stuck in, at least for the present.)

So, Adios to my friends in the Stardock's user community.  Maybe I will join you again some day ...  Take Care !

Good bye OrionM42

You insightful comments, excellant opinions, and thought-out views will be sorely missed.

March 25, 2013 12:24:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OrionM42,

It simply will not download -- ever; and that means I can no longer play Galactic Civilizations II - Dread Lords, which I bought a few years ago, when Impulse was part of Stardock.

Since Stardock sold Impulse one can download games on stardock.com. If you have any problem with that, it's better to ask support. In my case this transition was smooth - I even do not remember the details.

March 25, 2013 5:08:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tried it an looove it! A few improvements could be made that have already been suggested by a lot of the forum users. Particularly the one where you make settlements cost population and outpost cost gold.

The undead models look beautiful! You should include an undead faction! The faction abilities are great and diverse, really enjoying it

March 25, 2013 10:38:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I read through this entire thread hoping to get som information on how the new expansion feels. But those comments were sparse, this just feels like another thread bashing Steam. Haven't we had enough of those? I sympathise with all the people who feel that Steam is the Devil, although I don't agree, it works perfectly for me. And yes, another option would have been a good idea, but I have faith that Stardock did what was best for the company and the FE franschise. And since I want them to continue making great games, I'll abide by their decision. If you don't feel that way, alright, vote with your wallet and stop purchasing games for Stardock. I would say it's your loss.

So, to get this thread back on topic, what's your opinions about the Beta? I haven't got the time to try it myself, so I'm just lurking the forums trying to get a grasp on what everyone else thinks. 

March 25, 2013 12:17:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Public Beta - Super happy to see the open Beta.  I really like that this was done.  Can't overstate how pleased this made me as a customer.  This kind of thing is great for the mod community as well.

Steam - hate it.  It's easy to use, but I object to how it operates.  Also can’t overstate how much I wish that the beta did not require this.

Product Install - I'm biased here.  I've worked with software installs as a part of my job for over 15 years.  I find both the beta an FE install to be rather amateurish.  I really don’t like to see things like FE installing C++ redistributables that are already on my system.  I especially don’t like it that the beta installs this yet again.  Much better logic and detection is needed.

Reporting back – Based on what was said elsewhere not enough information is getting back about direct gameplay from the beta.  Steam reporting is just a workaround.  The beta shouldn’t require an internet connection to work … but it should store info and periodically try to send that info back if the game is actively running.

Overall Impressions of Beta:

Monster difficulty is too high early.  I’ve had to essentially restart games due to situations being unmanageable 20 or so turns in.  This never happened in FE.

Level up trees need major work.  Commented in another thread, but these could use some TLC.

Choosing champions is good but isn’t quite enough.  I do kind of wish that I had even more choice here though.  Maybe choose 1 of 3 instead of 1 of 2?  In FE if I wasn’t playing with the Adventurer trait I was pretty selective on who I recruited outside that first guy.  I’m finding myself choosing to add folks that I don’t really want that much when choosing 1 of 2.

New weapon abilities are neat.  I would like to see them unlocked by level up rather than default though.  This goes to both the argument that companions aren’t strong enough now vs maxed out units and that I want to feel like the companions are “more special” than units.

New racial abilities are nice.  Solid addition.

Pop-ups – there are too many & they can appear out of order.  This isn’t new from FE, but I’m feeling the pain more in the beta as I try to see what’s new.  Things appearing out of order is also bad.  Getting an item, clicking trade, and then going to the tech research tree at the end of a turn is bad.

Icons – really like the new game icon.

Overall more positive than negative things to say.  Really good work on the beta!

March 26, 2013 3:07:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tomasp3n,

So, to get this thread back on topic, what's your opinions about the Beta? I haven't got the time to try it myself, so I'm just lurking the forums trying to get a grasp on what everyone else thinks. 

It's pretty cool. It has a lot of improvements to battle - it's more intense and tactical with the swarm mechanism and the weapon abilities. Placement and movement speed become better. The rush ability is insanely powerful with the AoE weapons since it becomes a lot easier to get the right positions. The new heroes are interresting, but could be more varied. Some coolish unique heroes like Krask the half spider and the iron golem and so on, but I wish they had some more character unique talent trees. Speaking off, the talent trees are an improvement, but they are a bit locked. I like that you can control the progress, but I wish it was a bit more free and a bit more different. Mage and Commander classes have the best options in my opinion. The faction benefits are kinda cool, but some look like they need to be updated. Fame is a cool feature, but Pioneers costing population sucks =p

The rest of the improvements are pretty much "patch" improvements and I'm expecting more changes as they go. All in all, it's a good improvement in my eyes, not a complete expansion, but pretty darn close.

Wish they would add more factions On that note, undead skeleton models look awesome! Want a pure skeleton army and faction!

March 28, 2013 11:16:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi,

i'll keep my question simple:

MULTIPLAYER SOON?

i'll love to play legendary heroes, but i (and my friends) REALLY need multiplayer! until then - we will keep playing FFH2.

btw. i know its just a simple matter and we bugfixed it ourselfs - but the last proposed patch with soa exploding instead of pyros would be nice to have it downloaded..... 

March 31, 2013 9:31:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great! Now that this new elemental game is almost out you're gonna drop this IP for abit and get the dev team workin on that new galciv we All want right?

March 31, 2013 9:36:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OrionM42,

Quoting Island Dog, reply 10
Quoting crimsongekko,
reply 6

On a somewhat related Note, I can no longer access Impulse on my computer system.  It simply will not download -- ever; and that means I can no longer play Galactic Civilizations II - Dread Lords, which I bought a few years ago, when Impulse was part of Stardock.  I feel as if I am being shut out of Stardock's consumer community.  This is a poor way to treat customers!  (In fairness, I suppose it is possible that the Impulse glitch is somehow related to some problem with my old computer; but this is the situation I am stuck in, at least for the present.)

You can play gavciv2 still w/o impulse just like 2 days ago I was looking at my stardock account profile and in there it listed all the games I'd bought and their key codes and next to galciv2 was a direct dl link to click. It downloads right from stardock's servers and not impulse or steam.

https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount  just login click My Downloads and next to galciv2 hit the big ole DOWNLOAD button.

March 31, 2013 1:07:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tzukasa77,
You can play gavciv2 still w/o impulse just like 2 days ago I was looking at my stardock account profile and in there it listed all the games I'd bought and their key codes and next to galciv2 was a direct dl link to click. It downloads right from stardock's servers and not impulse or steam.

https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount  just login click My Downloads and next to galciv2 hit the big ole DOWNLOAD button.

Do you have the regular version or the Ultimate Edition? Only the UE can be downloaded directly from Stardock. The rest requires Impulse.

March 31, 2013 5:19:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Love the new Beta!  Really wish I could change the map though.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: