Quickslots for spells

By on March 14, 2013 2:41:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Necaradan666

Join Date 08/2006
+1

Suggestion for a few quickslots for spells on the main screen, I find myself constantly opening up that book and scolling through pages, over and over and it's driving me nuts.

Locked Post 13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 14, 2013 2:54:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i second that request. it would be a very nice and (presumably) easy to implement feature. it gets quite annoying having to scroll the whole spellbook if you want to clear a path through a mountain range with "lower land" for example and have to re-select the spell after every cast, or to spam some "majesty" to increase the growth of the empire when you have a stockpile of unused mana.

March 14, 2013 3:23:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Might and Magic Heroes 6 had this and it was useful. Even you likely only had like 3 spells the whole game. I second this. 

March 14, 2013 4:18:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To make it even better, quick slots should be dynamic. Instead of having to configure it, it would automatically feature the spells more used. So if a player starts using a spell often it will soon automatically appear in the quick slot by itself.

March 14, 2013 6:20:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This would be a really good idea, if it was possible Second!

March 14, 2013 7:00:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OliverFA_306,

To make it even better, quick slots should be dynamic. Instead of having to configure it, it would automatically feature the spells more used. So if a player starts using a spell often it will soon automatically appear in the quick slot by itself.

This sounds like a horrible idea, with respect. Often I haven't used a spell just up until I want to use it a lot. Lower Land is a perfect example - as soon as I get it, I will want to use it quite a bit. If I want it to be a favourite, it should be a favourite. No need for a dynamically changing bar, that's just confusing.

March 15, 2013 10:37:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe that both approaches are fully compatible. Imagine that you get that new spell (or decide it's moment for a change of strategy) and from that moment you want to start using a spell. What would you do with the current system? Go pick the "new" spell and set it as favourite. With the dynamic system you could so the same and force that spell to become favourite. As you would continue using that spell, the dynamic system would keep the spell as a favourite. And if you don't use the spell and the system removes it from the favourites, do you really want to have it there?

It's exactly the same number of clicks, with the advantage that the rest of the spells, the ones you don't manage actively, are managed by the game. 

March 15, 2013 11:03:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OliverFA_306,

I believe that both approaches are fully compatible. Imagine that you get that new spell (or decide it's moment for a change of strategy) and from that moment you want to start using a spell. What would you do with the current system? Go pick the "new" spell and set it as favourite. With the dynamic system you could so the same and force that spell to become favourite. As you would continue using that spell, the dynamic system would keep the spell as a favourite. And if you don't use the spell and the system removes it from the favourites, do you really want to have it there?

It's exactly the same number of clicks, with the advantage that the rest of the spells, the ones you don't manage actively, are managed by the game. 

Well thought out.

March 15, 2013 11:28:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea of a strategic spell quick bar.

March 15, 2013 12:26:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

me 2

March 15, 2013 1:00:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"can I hotkey strategic spells" was literally the first thing I thought of when I first got raise/lower land, having to open the spell book repeatedly was a pain. Even a "use last" hotkey would be incredibly useful.

March 15, 2013 7:49:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Illauna,

oWell thought out.

thanks

March 16, 2013 2:50:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OliverFA_306,

Nicely put.

March 16, 2013 5:09:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem is the scrolling through the spellbook repeatedly. The solution should be to open the spellbook in exactly the position it was in when you closed it or last cast a spell. That way, if repeatedly casting the same thing, it would be right there for you.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001547   Page Render Time: