Request - Legendary Heroes Weather System

Weather System

By on March 4, 2013 4:06:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ronin313

Join Date 09/2006
+1

Hi

Something I saw while browsing the AoW3 forums was the request for a weather system.

I thought this would be great for LH.

It could be both hazards, like volcanoes, tornadoes, floods to things like poor visibility, day/night cycle for tactical battles, rain which slows movement etc.

I think one thing FE lacks is the 'alive' living feeling.  These kinds of things would really bring it to life more and serve as a great differentiator.

What fantasy 4x game has incorporated a weather system before?  It really ties into the name Elemental as well.

I hope this is considered

Cheers

Locked Post 19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 4, 2013 6:29:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Each turn represents 3 months, a period of time too big for modelling any weather effect. Don't you think?

March 4, 2013 10:06:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jon Shafer's At the Gates by Jon Shafer will have weather playing a major role.

March 4, 2013 10:06:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OliverFA_306,

Each turn represents 3 months, a period of time too big for modelling any weather effect. Don't you think?

I've thought about some kind of system overlay to impletment weather patterns as well. Since each turn is a 3mo season, it would "just" be a matter of 4 weather patterns displayed overtop of the normal display. Each season could have a series of random events with a smaller %chance at a natural disaster. Naturally, all sound effects and music would be modified to the incorporated seasons. I imagine there would be some kind of 'transistion' time for the season to change. You continue to play your turn as the changes happen all around you. Say 3 minutes realtime per transition from the start of the turn. Obviously, as a final note, this system would wreck havoc with autoturn.

Spring: Any snow slowly melts away. Flowers bloom. Grass turns greener than normal. Birds chirp.
Random Events - Raging Waters - A unit passing over a river is washed away.
                       - The Birds and the Bees - Monsters all have young, adding to their difficulty.
Natural Disaster - Great Flood - Cities to close to rivers receive %chance at a common building or two being destroyed.

Summer: Bright sunshine. Hues to warm colors. Grass a little scorched in places. Gentle breeze.
Random Events - Grass Fire - a random area is scorched by flame. Units within take damage. 
Natural Disaster - Drought - No water to be had. Population decreases in each city by a % amount.

Autumn: Leaves on trees change color and fall off. Ground turns brown. Stronger winds.
Random Events - Bad Harvest - City receives zero growth for the turn.
                       - Good Harvest - City receives double growth for the turn.
Natural Disaster - Tornado - A 1 by 5 line is struck by strong winds dealing damage to units within. Cities receive %change at common building being destroyed.

Winter: Snow blankets the land, causing slower movement across plains and grasslands. Rivers freeze, allowing for easier crossings.
Random Events - Frostbite - A unit must endure the cold and receives a 10%hp penalty due to frostbite.
                       - Hunger Strikes - A hungry wolf pack catches your scent and appears nearby to hunt you down.
Natural Disaster - Blizzard - Mass damage to a random area. Units within may not survive.

Problem is that this aditionaly 'atmosphere' to the game really doesn't add anything other than looks and feel and specific random events.

I honestly think it would be too much work to gererate seasons to cycle as you pass the turns, considering that all the above random events could just be included into the game as is. Howeverm it would be WICKED AWESOME if this much immersion could be added.

I would give full support to this end!

Any other ideas/comments for weather related random events or natural disasters?

March 4, 2013 6:37:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think each turn being a season makes the pace too fast for seasonal changes (maybe you were saying that too?) I mean, a graphic transition every turn? I think that'd be a pace-killer, and lower end systems (like mine) would have to wait even longer between turns, as the graphics chug by. 

If the seasons could last longer than a turn, I think the effect would be much better.

That said, random events being tied to season is a fine idea. Or, strategic bonuses based on season- Cities get a food boost in spring, a food penalty in winter. City defenders get a bonus during winter, reflecting the difficulty of a war campaign during the freeze. Movement penalties during winter.

For magic, Winter could count as an extra water and death shard.

Spring, extra life and water. 

Summer, extra fire and air.

Fall, extra air. 

(Where would Earth go? Earth isn't that seasonal, is it?)

I like your idea - but graphical transitions with each season, I do not. If each turn became 1 month, or 2 weeks, however - that might do the trick. 

March 4, 2013 6:50:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I kinda thought that you'd start your turn and if you spend 3 minutes at that turn, you'll get to see the entire transition.

Ending your turn prior to the 3 minutes would just stop the transistion where ever it was at and start the next season.

This way, if you start a battle or something, you can see the transition occuring as the battle progresses.

Purely aesthetical, but would be REALLY COOL.

While I agree graphical transitions would be harder on slower machines, but not much worse than they are now. It's would be like every tile having 'overgrowth' of one kind or another.

Maybe I am dreaming...

March 4, 2013 9:50:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Weather!

Quoting Lord Xia,

*Slaps Lord Xia with a wet fish*

- Jon

March 4, 2013 10:10:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

seeing snow on the ground in winter and fall colors on the leaves would be really cool, doesn't have to be dramatic.

March 4, 2013 10:56:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the replies guys & Jon!

I think Shogun Total War 2 had a nice seasonal effect visually, but that was about it.

No comment from Derek

March 4, 2013 11:15:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As Xia implied, I'm a huge advocate for evolving maps. They're not easy to do, as you really have to plan for them ahead of time, but they can dramatically change (and improve) the gameplay. Hell, I'll probably become known as "the evolving map guy" before all is said and done!

- Jon

March 5, 2013 12:36:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Evolving maps are nice, but I think this game has enough stuff in it, and the scale of the game is such, that is isn't a necessary change, especially when there are more pressing matters.

March 5, 2013 12:38:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yep, it's not something you want to wedge in after the fact. It was something we planned for from the very start with AtG, but it's not right for every game.

- Jon

March 5, 2013 2:00:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree that there's so much more work to be done on FE that's higher priority for the game (balance and playability) that weather (while it would be great) probably isn't going to ever be implemented in FE.

Great to see more Stardock folks browsing the forum though!

March 5, 2013 2:00:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I think it would be an aspect that would make LH quite immersive.  Also I'm sure I remember Sun Tzu mentioning something about the weather and it's important effect on waging war!  

It will add that random element that can give veteran players a real surprise and challenge.  Spells that can change weather to give armies favourable outcomes would also tie in nicely.

I hope they consider it, even as an expansion, or paid add-on like the map pack.

March 5, 2013 10:55:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

it would be cool if each race/blood type had a preferred season and had their racial bonuses amplified (or get some other bonus) during that season.  I could see Wraiths preferring the winter and Athicans prefering Spring, for example.

March 5, 2013 12:46:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ultimately, this is a great idea - for a different 4X strategy game.

War of Magic II, cough cough?

March 5, 2013 1:28:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The turn time is the thing one thing that bugs me about Stardock's games.

In FE it's too long, in GC2 it's absurdly short.

March 5, 2013 2:08:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jon Shafer,

Weather!

Quoting Lord Xia, reply 2

*Slaps Lord Xia with a wet fish*

- Jon

Just trying to help spread the word 

March 5, 2013 2:12:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting rahal,

The turn time is the thing one thing that bugs me about Stardock's games.

In FE it's too long, in GC2 it's absurdly short.

That is soooo true about GalCiv 2.  It seemed like I would start on my one planet...okay great...then spread across the galaxy with a trillion inhabitants over a hundred worlds in the span of...2 years?  What, really?  Bit of hyperbole, but that's what it felt like.  Not that it really mattered that much, just kind of funny.  And I think the game even joked about the population increases.

March 5, 2013 4:19:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jon Shafer,
Yep, it's not something you want to wedge in after the fact. It was something we planned for from the very start with AtG, but it's not right for every game.

- Jon

Maybe the second FE expansion ?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time: