Fallen Enchantress v1.3 preview

By on February 12, 2013 9:51:03 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1495

We’re working on Fallen Enchantress 1.3 which has a lot of nice balancing updates that we think you’ll like. We also improved performance, fixed a save game corruption crash and just generally integrated some great ideas from the forums.

Since the screenshots we have up are…well…you know…horrible…here are some from a pre-release of 1.3:

FE-13-1

One of the new features is a pretty big change that you’ll notice almost immediately. Procedural tile yield generation.  Basically, it means that the tile yields will be a lot more varied and interesting (and generally bigger).  Way less 3/3/1 tiles (in fact, rare) and way more 5/2/2 tiles or 2/5/2 tiles or even 1/4/3 tiles.

FE-13-2

Not a huge change but a lot of balancing was done on how many resources are placed and where. The result is that you don’t hit that plateau of “hitting the turn button waiting” that sometimes creeps in.  In fact, you may find the game feeling like it’s going by fast – until you check the time.

FE-13-3

Diplomacy improvements were big on the wishlists of FE players. And so we put a lot of effort into making the AI players play more intelligently here.  No more “Want to sign a treaty? Give me 90 gold” only to have them declare war the next turn…admittedly, that is actually a pretty smart strategy but kind of a jerky one.

FE-13-4

Now, the diplomacy works by players building up a rapport with different players over time.  This means that you can check on the relations and it may say Neutral but show a ton of negatives (or positives) there that point to where your relationship is going in the future.

FE-13-5

FE-13-6

I just thought this looked pretty. Winking smile

FE-13-7

Another big change is that the AI is much more aggressive at going after the Spell of Mastery victory. In fact, we had to change the UI because it was actually quite annoying at how abruptly the AI could sneak up on this.  Now, the UI will actually warn you when a player has started building the components of the Forge of the Overlord.

We expect this to go into beta within the next week.

Locked Post 38 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2013 10:09:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love it.  My only question is whether the AI reacts to the PC building the components for the spell of making like a person would upon seeing one of the other factions start construction?

February 12, 2013 10:58:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice improvements. Are there any improvements to the strategic AI (other than spell of making) or tactical AI planned as well?

February 13, 2013 3:03:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice. I see that the name generator is still the infamous vanilla one though. Hi, my name is Ithuaakalalilootalapa, and I'm the queen of the people of Ruutulpupupuronilo. Right

February 13, 2013 4:14:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,
I love it.  My only question is whether the AI reacts to the PC building the components for the spell of making like a person would upon seeing one of the other factions start construction?

I'm curious about this as well.  It would make the magic victory condition a lot more interesting if the other factions suddenly started coming after you because you were working on it.

February 13, 2013 5:05:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there no way to make AI less stupid and more cautious, playing 1.2 AI still sends lone heroes sovereign to locations where my main stack is present, make them take troops sitting in citites PLEASE or camp cities if they are waiting for new troops /chalenging diff/

February 13, 2013 5:20:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting A1exej,
Is there no way to make AI less stupid and more cautious, playing 1.2 AI still sends lone heroes sovereign to locations where my main stack is present, make them take troops sitting in citites PLEASE or camp cities if they are waiting for new troops /chalenging diff/

I 2nd this ^

February 13, 2013 6:33:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now, the diplomacy works by players building up a rapport with different players over time.  This means that you can check on the relations and it may say Neutral but show a ton of negatives (or positives) there that point to where your relationship is going in the future.

Does this mean that if I pleased a player over the course of the game, it won't turn around to kill me just because he's stronger? I really love that you're finally fixing diplomacy and I hope this gets carried over to LH too.

February 13, 2013 9:05:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's seems really good! i'm looking forward to 1.3.

Jumping the gun here, but some thoughts on diplomacy:

Multiple trade agreements should have an additional +1 bonus to relations, to reflect the economic ties between factions. So two trade agreements, an aad'l +1, 3 trade agreements an additional +1, for a total of +2 (above and beyond the base +1 relation adjustments).

Breaking agreements, or unprovoked attacks/war should carry bigger dipolomacy penalties, and should be world wide. That is, all factions will have a "can't be trusted" modifier against the agressor. 

Negative modifiers should also carry trade penalties as well. So if an agressive factions wants an economic treaty, they would have to pay more for it (or get less from it) than a faction without the "agressor" penalty. 

February 13, 2013 9:27:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Even if an AI likes you very very much all game, if you are about to win, or getting close, they should still want to ally with their other allies to destroy you, or prevent you from winning.  The AI should not just let the player win regardless of past relationships as they should want to win themselves.

Now, mid-game or whatever, friends should be friends unless they have a very good reason to turn on you, like they really really need a resource you have, or your town is right next to theirs and is undefended and they need that land to expand, etc

February 13, 2013 2:20:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm hoping that 1.3 will finally allow players to manage the city queue order in the management screen instead of just on the city screen in groups of five.

February 13, 2013 3:38:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,

I also am curious about this.

This patch looks really good and I look forward to the changes!    

February 13, 2013 4:45:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ambermonk,
I'm hoping that 1.3 will finally allow players to manage the city queue order in the management screen instead of just on the city screen in groups of five.

Good call actually, I never bother with changing city queues anymore, because I know its quite annoying, but it also disconnects me from my cities on that same token.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

February 13, 2013 5:07:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ambermonk,

I agree it would be nice to do it in there. In the meantime, I'd highly recommend trying out the LargeUI mod http://forums.elementalgame.com/433402

February 13, 2013 5:07:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still see that less-than-optimal (read: entirely craptastic) AI diplomacy popup.  Please for the love of frogs fix the diplomacy UI!

February 13, 2013 5:53:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rhaegor,
1. Even if an AI likes you very very much all game, if you are about to win, or getting close, they should still want to ally with their other allies to destroy you, or prevent you from winning.  The AI should not just let the player win regardless of past relationships as they should want to win themselves.

2. Now, mid-game or whatever, friends should be friends unless they have a very good reason to turn on you, like they really really need a resource you have, or your town is right next to theirs and is undefended and they need that land to expand, etc

1. I would think that the "Diplomatic/Allies can win together" option being on should keep this from happening, but if it is off then I agree

2. This I like with the "Allies win" option being on or off - but then one could also ask for passage through another's lands so that turnin on a trusted ally would'nt necessarily have to be done

February 13, 2013 6:40:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are we getting route/path indicators that show how many turns to move to wherever and the path the unit will take in this next patch?  If not, please try and do that too!

February 13, 2013 8:01:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think we're only getting what's mentioned in the OP and some bugfixes.  Sadly, Stardock is short on manpower, otherwise there's a lot they'd do (going by Frogboy's past posts).

February 13, 2013 8:07:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting halmal242,

February 13, 2013 8:36:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome!

February 13, 2013 9:12:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also think the AI should keep some kind of database on the amount of times in "previous" games you have mistreated it or defeated it so that eventually until the humaan has actually lost a game the game AI becomes more and more aggressive towards the humaan player from the start and if there are a lot of them then they will ally much earlier in the game and go after the most likely exploiting, cheating and arrogant gloating humaan winner. This would give the game more replayability because the player would want to see how the AI grows in power and numbers to defeat him/her.

Also one of the great things I enjoyed about Civilization III was when you retired or quit a game how the AI taunted you as you were leaving. That was just the icing on the cake and made me want to load it back up and stomp a few of them for being sooooo humaanlike.

February 13, 2013 11:21:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like the changes.

Do the save game crash fixes mentioned here and the changelog address the "game getting stuck after pressing End Turn" problem I reported here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/439544

February 14, 2013 9:27:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice touch, Brad. What about XP gaining for Govenor champs while staying indoors?

February 14, 2013 10:02:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kobracan,
Do the save game crash fixes mentioned here and the changelog address the "game getting stuck after pressing End Turn" problem

My question exactly:  does 1.3 fix the End Turn crashes as well as the Save Game crashes?  For me this is paramount, since 1.2 is unplayable for me right now.  Everything else is lovely, but not essential.

February 14, 2013 10:21:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know if this is too late to talk about or request but I've noticed that it is not possible to get the +20 weight backpack item except for random drops. I would suggest selling them in stores when you complete one of the economic researches. I'd love this whether it be in 1.3 or Legendary Heroes.

February 14, 2013 12:50:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry for asking this in other places too. But please give a confirmation whether we will have hot-seat or not in future

Thanks for the fantastic update!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: