Questions for Stardock - Expansion and Modding?

By on February 5, 2013 10:19:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

abob101

Join Date 11/2010
+49

Hi all/Stardock.

Hoping to get some brief feedback from Derek/Brad regarding modding and how this will be impacted by the upcoming expansion (which has some pretty good stuff by the looks but thats another thread).

The main questions are:

1) Whats the general direction with modding with regard to the expansion? Can you confirm that we will have more or less the same modding capabilities that we have now?  (i.e. mod folder setup will be much the same... using Steam will mean modding will still be possible etc)

2) Do you envisage it will be possible to port mods for FE over to LH without a complete rewrite of them?  (for those of us working on mods would be good to know that we will be able to port them to LH... otherwise might as well stop now and wait for LH)

3) The champion ability progression trees look great!   Can you please make sure we can mod these from the mod folder?  (we can't do this with the tech tree which is a bit of a bummer)

4) Is there any opportunity for the modding community to put in a (small) list of minor requests that would help us with modding, some of which might be able to be included in the expansion?

Thanks.

Locked Post 7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 6, 2013 4:01:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great questions!

Indeed, it would be nice to know how the changes will affect mods.

February 6, 2013 4:47:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just going by some of the listed changes, I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to salvage much from any mods for FE vanilla.

February 7, 2013 12:26:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stormworld shouldn't have much of a problem porting to the expansion. 

I'm screwed, however.

February 7, 2013 2:03:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think any mod will be directly portable, but I expect if you are ready to put in ~10% of the original time you spent on the mod you'll be able to port it. Ie, most is the same but a few things different.

Between E:wom and FE I had to re-do everything including graphics.

February 7, 2013 3:30:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm operating on the safe assumption that all art assets should be fine. Thus I'm prioritizing creating art assets now more then code.

February 8, 2013 11:13:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've added a new question (#4) to the original post.

February 22, 2013 2:48:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just bumping this back up in the hope of some feedback.  Brad/Derek - I know you guys are flat out but would love some idea as to where things are likely to go re. mods.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: