Fallen Enchantress–Legendary Heroes screenshots

By on February 5, 2013 2:48:08 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1089

Here are some screenshots we’ve taken for Legendary Heroes that I wanted to share with you guys:

Main_Map_LH-2

In this one, we’re showing off the complex shadows. It’s really surprising how much easier it makes playing the game when you can see your units pop better.  This is still early but this is the direction we’re going.

It also shows the updated mini-map. We’re still thinking about what color the base map should be (it’s tan in this screenshot). We decided to stop showing terrain (forests/mountains) since what users mainly want to see is the relative position of units, towns and territories.

Trait_Tree

This is a fairly big game play change.  In FE, what traits you get to choose from are somewhat luck based.  Here, the player is presented with a tree that they can then choose to upgrade via different paths.

2013-02 SelectChampion2

When a player’s faction gains enough fame, two champions will come forward and demand that you choose between them. The eventual goal here is to make sure every champion is very different from one another so that which ones you pick will significantly affect your overall strategy.

LH-main map-5

This is a screenshot that shows off the new lighting and shadow changes.  We’ve very much gone over to the point of view that we should focus on making the game elements obvious even if it’s at the cost of “art”. 

For example, we got rid of ground cover since it served no game play purpose.  The final game should look substantially better even still.

TacticalBattle-LH-1

There are going to be riots about tactical battles. My answer is: Tough. Derek and I are doing them the way we want and not how we imagine other people want them.   They are vastly funner (IMO).  So why do I think some people will hate these? Because the tactical battles get going immediately. 

On most maps, there is melee contact in the first turn. the units aren’t spending 2+ turns trying to run to each other. If you don’t want your archers massacred, you better have melee protectors for them. They’re not going to get 4+ turns of free shots at them. Without melee guards, they’ll be getting hits within a turn or two.

Now, I think most players are going to very much like the changes to tactical battles. First, there’s a lot more strategic variety on each map.  More special abilities come into play and more of the skill will come from how you handle your units rather than feeling like you have to game the “first hit”. Initiative matters vastly more now too.

The tactical battle improvements are my personal favorite change over FE.  FE tactical battles are a form of torture now.

2013-02 LevelUp

This screenshot is more polish than new.  It’s going to get more polish before release but the idea was to try to begin making each of the path choices more meaningful and fit a more distinct path than before.  To do that, we felt we needed to make sure players had a better understanding of the importance of that choice so that we could justify having these choices have more dramatic strengths (and weaknesses).

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 5, 2013 4:06:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really cool screenshots! Thanks for the sneak peak.

I do have a question about the expansions memory consumption. I've mentioned in the expansion announcement thread my computers stats, so I'll forego that aspect here. I've noticed that you've completely removed groundcover, which took memory, but have improved upon shadows and lighting, which am I to assume takes up memory?? Will there be net gain for the slower computer users? (technically for everyone, but the slower will notice first)

Will the removing of the ground cover make the strategic view too bland and plain? Are other ground-types with associated bonuses being added in?

Again...really cool screenshots! Thanks!

edit. and ooo...first post. That doesn't happen to me often.

February 5, 2013 4:16:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We didn't remove ground cover because of memory. We removed it because it detracted from gameplay.

The main reason the graphics engine is faster is because Intel visited us and brought all kinds of cool new tools we have been using to optimize.

February 5, 2013 4:25:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is ground cover just turned off by default, or can it be modded back in? I kind of liked it...

February 5, 2013 4:38:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking forward to the new & improved tactical battles.

February 5, 2013 4:56:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking good!

However, I'm going to have to say that one area is starting to lag a bit now that graphics are going forward. The character portraits stick out quite a bit and not to their advantage. Looking at the path selection screenshot, the new pictures are incredibly beautiful. They are from a different realm of graphical finesse than the portrait in the same picture.

If you somehow find the time & money to invest, spending a while with the portraits might be worthwhile for the overall image of the game.

February 5, 2013 4:59:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The main reason the graphics engine is faster is because Intel visited us and brought all kinds of cool new tools we have been using to optimize.

Well f**k yeah! Yay Intel!!

February 5, 2013 5:02:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
We didn't remove ground cover because of memory. We removed it because it detracted from gameplay.

Sweet...

February 5, 2013 5:10:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It also shows the updated mini-map. We’re still thinking about what color the base map should be (it’s tan in this screenshot). We decided to stop showing terrain (forests/mountains) since what users mainly want to see is the relative position of units, towns and territories.

Suggestion: Please show mountains on the minimap? (you can make them show in a similar matter to water).
I like seeing the borders of the terrain, a so-called "no-go" zone where I cannot move my units, I use the minimap for over-land planning, to see which routes I need to check out for my current "attack-plan".
This will help me vastly in this.

On most maps, there is melee contact in the first turn. the units aren’t spending 2+ turns trying to run to each other. If you don’t want your archers massacred, you better have melee protectors for them. They’re not going to get 4+ turns of free shots at them. Without melee guards, they’ll be getting hits within a turn or two.

I'm not saying its going to be bad.... But I ask, what will the point of archers be?!? if I cannot use them in melee, is there really a point?
I liked the idea of 2 turns to approach my enemy, also the same concept used in heroes 5, archers have a place, charge trait have a place, fast movers have a place, slow-troops have a place when there is a "slight" distance between me and the enemy, say 5-6 tiles.

All up to you, just wondering why I should invest in archers in the new system, I already forego them for charging mounted units anyhow....

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

February 5, 2013 5:27:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please give the empire tree more love... currently selected unit or city should be highlighted.

Please give the event tree more love... the ability to go back and review events

Everything else looks great!

February 5, 2013 5:36:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DsRaider,

Is ground cover just turned off by default, or can it be modded back in? I kind of liked it...

ditto. why cut non gameplay elements when you can satisfy both camp and add a toggle.

February 5, 2013 5:44:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any chance of seeing the Fortress City of Outpost tactical map in the Expansion? A fight in the city streets would add depth to tactical combat.

From Frogboy's post in another thread: 

February 5, 2013 5:55:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fame?

How to gain it? I see the crown icon at the top

Look at Master Affliction mod for champions traits please

February 5, 2013 6:06:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will we be able to choose our own arrangements for units going into tactical combat?  Or am I still going to have archers appearing in front of melee guys, and high-initiative meleers getting stuck behind low-initiative guys?

On an unrelated note, I REALLY like the change to champion advancement.  Not only can you see what traits something will unlock, but luck's no longer a factor in what traits you can get.  I think this will actually make magic much more viable since you're no longer gambling on whether or not you'll get the right  options for it.

February 6, 2013 9:58:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This screenshot is more polish than new.  It’s going to get more polish before release

Brad, make sure one part of that screenshot that gets polished is the Path of the Defender artwork. The whole torso/head region looks really wonky.

February 6, 2013 11:51:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CogBurn,

quoting post This screenshot is more polish than new.  It’s going to get more polish before release

Brad, make sure one part of that screenshot that gets polished is the Path of the Defender artwork. The whole torso/head region looks really wonky.

Somehow this made me think about the classes.
I hope each trait is revisited, and relooked at, and hopefully the trait tree is redone (to whatever extend Derek, Frog and whoever wants to put into it).

I will probably be sad to see the same level-up tree for each champion (I started liking this feature in FE, you can't just get addicted to one specific strategy, although you can aim for it, you don't get it right away).
Also I hope the bonus XP traits go, burn and die , if I can choose them reliably on level 2... I will, always ever and ever...

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

February 6, 2013 12:40:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Darxim,
Will we be able to choose our own arrangements for units going into tactical combat?  Or am I still going to have archers appearing in front of melee guys, and high-initiative meleers getting stuck behind low-initiative guys?

One can hope ... And hold out purchasing the expansion until convinced this was fixed ...

February 6, 2013 1:03:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So you have just gone and thrown out unit movement speed out of the equation(dont see the point in a unit with 4 speed anymore as far as tactical battles go)

Am I missing anything?

February 6, 2013 1:05:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ntino,
So you have just gone and thrown out unit movement speed out of the equation(dont see the point in a unit with 4 speed anymore as far as tactical battles go)

Am I missing anything?

It'll help against archers.

February 6, 2013 1:06:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The left side of the screen where your city and unit list is needs to be improved.  Please make it easier to find stuff there.  When you have 15 cities and lots of units is a huge pain to use that thing.

Also, there is a mod that extends the info panel on the bottom and adds circle outlines to where you can enchant cities so you can see cities that have openings for enchantments.  I love that mod, and it probably would be a simple improvement to the UI that would make it more functional, same as the info scroll bar on the upper left I mention above.

February 6, 2013 1:09:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting peddroelm,

Quoting Darxim,
reply 14

One can hope ... And hold out purchasing the expansion until convinced this was fixed ...

While this isn't a game breaker for me, I will certainly agree that the ability to align troop would be a great addition.  In HOMM it was even made into a champion trait that allowed you a chance to adjust before each battle if you had the ability.

February 6, 2013 1:20:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting scifi1950,

Quoting peddroelm, reply 17
Quoting Darxim,
reply 14

While this isn't a game breaker for me, I will certainly agree that the ability to align troop would be a great addition.  In HOMM it was even made into a champion trait that allowed you a chance to adjust before each battle if you had the ability.

Yes, I can deal with this not being improve, but in Eardor (sp?) you can position your units prior to battle, to a certain extent, and it adds to the tactical aspect of the battles.  Terrain having more of an impact on attack/defense wouldn't be bad either.

February 6, 2013 1:58:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree that the new combat paradigm will help against archers and ranged staff attacks uberarmies.

The same could have been achieved by limiting the range of bows - i.e. Shortbows  - 5 tiles, Long Bows - 8 tiles, Staffs - 8 titles.  Fast moving mounted units would only be exposed for a single turn.

That said, I look forward to the new tactical system.

For Archers I have always wondered if higher level archers should get a bonus to initiative. Why? Experienced archers reload & shoot faster.

Example: Base Archer Level 1 = (Shortbow -8 initiative), Archer Level 3 Shortbow (-7 initiative), Archer Level 8 Shortbow (-4 initiative penalty)

For crossbows - if short bows have -8 initiative, then crossbows should probably have -12 initiative or a cool down of 1 as crossbows take longer to reload.

February 6, 2013 2:44:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All of this looks great, but since you're polishing can I make a suggestion: design the UI to allow the player to defer these decisions

All these modal level-up dialogs look awesome!  But sometimes in FE I am not really sure what I want to do in that moment.  I just finished fighting a nerve-jangling tactical battle and now you're forcing me to make a strategic level decision?  I don't want to do that right away.  First, I want to look at my champion, my other champions, the status of my empire, the forces of my enemies, and all the other strategic elements.  And then I want to look at them again, and then I want to end turn just so I can think about it a little more.

The reason I love turn based games is because I want to think about my choice, but these dialogs force me to just pick blindly in order to continue playing the game.

Pop-up your beautiful notification, even pop it up in a screen-covering dialog, but let me click "Not right now" and then put a message in the notification bar and a shiny  icon in the Details window.  Then I can, at my leisure, click on the notification, see the details page, and click on the level up icon and make my choice.

Frogboy, can you please, please, please try to get that into the game?

February 6, 2013 11:48:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

There are going to be riots about tactical battles. My answer is: Tough. Derek and I are doing them the way we want and not how we imagine other people want them.   They are vastly funner (IMO).  So why do I think some people will hate these? Because the tactical battles get going immediately. 
Now, I think most players are going to very much like the changes to tactical battles. First, there’s a lot more strategic variety on each map.  More special abilities come into play and more of the skill will come from how you handle your units rather than feeling like you have to game the “first hit”. Initiative matters vastly more now too.
The tactical battle improvements are my personal favorite change over FE.  FE tactical battles are a form of torture now.

May I suggest - allow players to pick a range preference  (start combat at long range or short range) before each engagement ?  The actual range the combat starts should be a factor of map, skills (tarth master scouts; or having a scout unit with the army for this bonus) , army size (smaller armies should get a bonus vs big armies) , total army experience levels , spell effects (stealth//camouflage) and of course army initiative ...  With the right combination of factors ambushes should be possible but not the norm (as would appear from reading your post (player army ambushed by AI army in every combat)) ...

And of course some ability so pick the formation the units are positioned at the battle start .. Probably a template that can be set out of combat ...

Having some skill based ability to tactically reshuffle the army based on the terrain battleground (map) would be icing on top ..

========================================

Make elevation//terrain factors on the tactical battles .. +Range & damage for ranged units attacking targets on lower elevation ... Give movement bonuses/penalties for movement towards lower//higher elevation tiles ... Give defensive bonus/penalty for the terrain underneath ( defense bonus in forest/  defense penalty in swamp) ...

Add terrain based movement costs on the tactical battlefield (swamps, forest, rugged terrain ... )

==========================================

Allow spells have greater impact/shape on both strategical and tactical maps ... (earlier in the game)

Strategical - grow forest (life) - allow lumber-mill line of improvements , burn forest(fire), corrupt land (death) , raise/lower land(earth -already in but too late game) , drain river tile (air/water) ,  create water canal (water/earth) - connect city to nearby river - enable river based improvements   

If units get various tactical terrain type bonuses - altering the would be tactical combat tile on the strategical map beforehand could turn the tide ... 

Tactical :  multitude of options - raise/lower land (earth) for the elevation bonuses, grow vines (impede movements/ defense penalty) , grow forest(defensive bonuses), allow fire spells area of effect for multiple turns - firewall (enhanced by presence of forest//grass on tile) ; ability to ignite certain tile types and burn for a few turns , allow water based spells to put out fires, allow air based spells to further enhance damage/tile spread for fires (combo) ...Allow earth spells to create and clear obstacles ...

Make magic a much greater factor on the tactical battles from earlier in the game ... (mana is currently terribly expensive/scarce in the early-mid game) .. And game is typically already won after that and plenty of mana will only reduce the grinding to the final victory a bit ... 

==========================================

You've made pioneers cost population (good thing - you cannot manufacture population - you are not cylons/meklar/.. )

..In the same vein - most human trained units (not golems or other constructs) should cost population .

City defending units (militias) should cost population when killed during city sieges  (they are essentially free atm)...

February 7, 2013 12:52:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will we be able to turn the hex outlines on ?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000937   Page Render Time: