Stardock Announces Legendary Heroes, First Expansion for Fallen Enchantress

By on February 5, 2013 11:52:47 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+611

Legendary Heroes adds a new Champion System, Larger Maps, New Monsters,
Improved Tactical Combat, More Spells and Updated visuals

LHLogo_onblk

Stardock announced its first expansion pack for its popular fantasy strategy game, Fallen Enchantress.  The expansion, Legendary Heroes, adds new monsters, new champions, larger maps, new tactical battle maps and re-imagines the role of heroes in the world of Elemental.

"One of our goals with Legendary Heroes is to tie together the destiny of your kingdom and those of your champions," said Derek Paxton, Lead Designer of Legendary Heroes.  

In Fallen Enchantress, champions were recruited through exploration. Once recruited, they could go on quests, acquire magical items, gain experience and choose new talents.

"In Legendary Heroes, the champions seek you out based on your fame," said Paxton. "Your kingdom gains fame through a variety of means and as a result, the player’s affinity with champions is now tied to the choices their Kingdom as a whole makes."

Legendary Heroes also expands on the critically acclaimed gameplay in Fallen Enchantress. For example, new types of monsters such as liches, skeletons and worse begin to appear in the world. New quests, a new scenario and much larger map sizes are now available.

"Players will immediately recognize that the world has changed," said Paxton. "Besides just looking a lot better, the battles are far more intense. Units have a lot more skills to choose from in battle and the maps are much more varied. We redid virtually all of them."

Legendary Heroes features:

• New champion progression system 
  • Improved tactical combat 
  • Dozens of new spells, abilities and equipment 
  • 10 New monster classes 
  • Gigantic new map size 
  • Legendary Heroes scenerio

Fallen Enchantress – Legendary Heroes is expected to be released in April, but the beta will be starting next month.  It’ll be $19.99 for Fallen Enchantress users and $39.99 as a stand-alone expansion.

Kael's FAQs about Legendary Heroes:
http://forums.elementalgame.com/439970

Legendary Heroes homepage:
www.fallenenchantress.com/legendaryheroes

Screenshots:

2013-02-05_1556

Select your champion.

LevelUp

Choose your path to determine available traits when leveling up.

TacticalBattle-LH-4

Engage in challenging tactical combat.

50 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 5, 2013 1:44:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds cool.  Looking forward to the beta!

February 5, 2013 3:21:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

HELL YEA! 

February 5, 2013 3:31:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks interesting! ^^

February 5, 2013 5:57:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm buying it twice if you still going to upgrade(patch) your game as so far

February 5, 2013 6:14:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe there is no need to say anything, Stardock once more lived up to my expectations from a game developer. Keep it up and give us some more fantasy goodies

February 5, 2013 6:27:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did i read right that if we ordered the original game we get this free?  Wow are you kidding me?  Thats so awesome and it looks great.  This really gives it more of a MoM feel imho.  I always liked how heroes would seek you out when you had some fame.  Cant wait to beta it and try it out...if i get into the beta that is.  Did i mention I work in the oil fields and have quite a bit of time on my hands??

February 5, 2013 6:43:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great.  This sounds like a nice pack that'll really add to the game.  Really nice stuff in here.

That said...

I've said it a number of times.  Everybody seems to say this...  Please fix or change the governor path.  No one is going to pick a champion as governor if the governor power means that the champion must be stationed in a city.  Why is this constantly ignored?  How is that guy supposed to level?  The adventurer's guild?  Why do you implement such a useless and unfun path? 

The expansion UI makes that painfully clear.  As a governor, you're playing an RPG where the main character's job is to be a stat bonus in his city.    If you want a governor path, either allow him/her to adventure, or give the ability to influence battles he/she's not in.  I'd love the later.  Some sort of meta champion.  But not just an unleveling stat bonus.

February 5, 2013 7:30:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LOTS more.

These are just the highlights. We’ve taken a top to bottom pass on improving nearly every aspect of Fallen Enchantress.

Sounds Great!

Did Diplomacy get any attention?

February 5, 2013 8:22:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My god. Seriously. I just can't wait. 

ALL HAIL STARDOCK!

February 5, 2013 11:08:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome! 

February 5, 2013 11:14:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Micheal,
LOTS more.

These are just the highlights. We’ve taken a top to bottom pass on improving nearly every aspect of Fallen Enchantress.

Sounds Great!

AI-wise it is. Though, to be honest, I plan to back-port a lot of that to FE. I don't think people should have to "pay" for improved AI.

February 5, 2013 11:56:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A champion select screen?  Hurrah!  It'll be fun to be able to scroll to the right and see this.

February 6, 2013 4:16:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like what I see.

February 6, 2013 7:30:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds awesome!  Nice work Stardock.

February 6, 2013 2:41:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And I'll be getting it... for free.

You have kept your word every inch of the way. I tip my hat for you sir Stardock, and most especially Mr. Brad Wardell. You have made good on your word, and many a coorporate buisnessman should take a good long hard look in the mirror, right after they've put up a life-size poster of you next to that mirror.

Love,

Barry

February 6, 2013 3:16:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good to hear!

To be honest I am still disappointed with how buggy and unpolished feeling FE is but I have hope because you guys continue to work on things and never give up!

February 6, 2013 3:32:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounded awesome until I saw the Steam demandment.

February 6, 2013 7:37:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Steam?  WE will have to use Steam??  OH no...this can be problematic for me then.  I have issues at time with Steam letting me into offline mode when im away from decent internet.  Seems like I hve to uninstall and reinstall it alot to fix it.  Id prefer not to have to use steam for this?  Is this set in stone Frogboy??

February 6, 2013 7:40:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You guys need, need, need to revisit the races in FE and the world of FE. 

You're making some serious improvements and I really think that this will go a long way towards righting the few "wrongs" with FE, but without true racial uniqueness, it still feels like it falls....short. Give us a unique twist on Orcs, hobbits, dwarves, lizard people, etc. FE suffers for this. 

Please do something about this. 

February 6, 2013 7:43:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DevildogFF,
You guys need, need, need to revisit the races in FE and the world of FE. 

You're making some serious improvements and I really think that this will go a long way towards righting the few "wrongs" with FE, but without true racial uniqueness, it still feels like it falls....short. Give us a unique twist on Orcs, hobbits, dwarves, lizard people, etc. FE suffers for this. 

Won't be happening in the FE series. Sorry. You'll have to wait for follow-ups.  FE was, as you may recall, designed to try to make good on War of Magic. I think pretty much everyone would agree that it's done that.

Legendary Heroes is designed to tighten the game mechanics in FE and make it a better game. But it's not designed to be transformative. That will have to come in the future.

February 6, 2013 10:21:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd rather see more races, and tweaking the machines of the current races, then something transformative.  I will feel a bit underwhelmed if we only see 10 races in the expansion.  I really do want to see 12.   I know this is moddable, but I'm afraid I'd over/underpower races so I tend not to do it.

If you really wanted transformative,  Making a new FFH might work better.

February 7, 2013 12:13:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great picture of city combat!

That is an awesome step towards the immersion of conquering a city, but I was wondering will there be walls?  That would be an awesome addition because I tend to take advantage of AI weakness and head straight to their capital and in most cases without their soverign present I can take it easily.  Maybe this expansion will make a it a bit harder due to not able to get a starting champion but walls would really make a difference.  Walls can be mounted on and funnels enemies, but will become useless against upper magic, well maybe somewhat useless depending how strong the magic is and champions only can be in one place at a time, hmmm thinking... governor with destroying wall ability, like how Romans digging under the walls to bring them crumbling down.  Actual seige weapons or engineers would make it interesting.  This would be awesome too because we can seige a town but the enemy/ally has a chance to lift it, making alliances even more useful.  The capital should start with walls or concentrate in making them first, so in immersion sake as well it helps with unrest and people feel safe I think the mechanic already does that but a real defending wall gives it more tactical advantage, mountable walls by the way would be awesome:D

Another aspect, will we be able to place our troops or will it still be a random formation before tactical battle begins?

Looking forward to another chapter after FE in a form of a game and probably a book introducing a new race or several, of course after polishing FE!  You guys doing an awesome job and I am just here rambling on... well keep up the good work!

February 7, 2013 2:53:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While I applause the new features, especially the Champion progression system, I am abit confused if those - or at least a few of those features - shouldn't have been in the original game ? 

Yeah, I know, it seems common practice nowadays to release expansions shortly after delivering a game, but didn't we just see a new review for the original game just last week ?_? 

It just seems so forced to me, especially as the features of an Improved tactical combat or new spells (and equipment) could have been added via normal patching or if $$ is the culprit, via DLC, couldn't they ? 

Anyways, like many others already stated, hopefully this will close those small gaps in gameplay or vision, happy working (and testing) !

February 7, 2013 8:31:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

AI-wise it is. Though, to be honest, I plan to back-port a lot of that to FE. I don't think people should have to "pay" for improved AI.

That's great!   

February 7, 2013 9:54:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting DevildogFF, reply 20You guys need, need, need to revisit the races in FE and the world of FE. 

Won't be happening in the FE series. Sorry. You'll have to wait for follow-ups.  FE was, as you may recall, designed to try to make good on War of Magic. I think pretty much everyone would agree that it's done that.

Legendary Heroes is designed to tighten the game mechanics in FE and make it a better game. But it's not designed to be transformative. That will have to come in the future.

Maybe you could continue to make them more and more unique, then. More unique buildings, units and spells. Something that continues to differentiate the races. 

I like what you did with the Juggernauts and the other few unique units, but do more of those. Every faction should have a few truly unique units. Unique spells and buildings would go a long way, too...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0005297   Page Render Time: