Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Elemental:Fallen Enchantress v1.2 released!

By on January 22, 2013 2:31:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1120

FEiconStardock has released version 1.2 of its popular fantasy strategy game, Fallen Enchantress. 

Version 1.2 boasts dozens of updates, enhancements and fixes including:

• Significant AI strategy updates based on strategies employed by players
  • Spawned resources (like iron, gold, wheat) are more common but seeded further away from starting locations
  • Powerful monsters have been adjusted to be less common in habitable areas but more common in the barren lands between factions
  • Default number of players increased based on map size
  • Lots of UI and gameplay fixes based on player reports and feedback

The full change log can be found here.

Fallen Enchantress is a strategy game set in the world of Elemental. In it, the player takes on the role of a powerful sorcerer who must build a kingdom (or empire) from the ground up. The world itself, however, is already inhabited by creatures of all levels of power who will not willingly give up their domain. Up against the player are other kingdoms and empires who have their own dreams of power. 

Fallen Enchantress has received nearly universally favorable reviews from the major gaming publications such as Game Informer, The Escapist, Gaming Nexus, IGN, PC PowerPlay, Gamespot and elsewhere.

It can be purchased directly at www.fallenenchantress.com or at third party digital retailers including Steam, Impulse, and Gamers Gate.

Screenshots:

Build cities, expand your kingdom across the world.

Train armies and take battle to your enemies

Design your own units based on what resources and wealth you have available to you

26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 22, 2013 2:51:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

IMO, Increasing the pioneer cost will just delay the pioneer spamming until the mid to late game.

Instead of increasing build cost, I think reducing/temporarily halting  city population would work better.

Also, growth of gilder, manna and production are dependant on the number of cities/outposts, so slowing down city spamming would slow the game over all.

Which is fine, except that the total number of turns has been reduced from 1,000 to 800.

January 22, 2013 3:41:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lets start with a THANKS! before criticizing!

January 22, 2013 3:45:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent!  Thank you very much. 

January 22, 2013 4:11:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's hard to get too excited about this update when for every good change (AI strategy changes and monster spawn points for example) they also make game-breakingly boneheaded changes like the one they made to pioneers. 

A new settlement is now a net -27 population, and outposts are a net -30 population.  I guess the only ones that are going to be using any outposts are those factions that have the decalon.  

January 22, 2013 4:31:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Nibelung44,
Lets start with a THANKS! before criticizing!

Yes, where are my manners.

Thanks for the update SD! 

January 22, 2013 5:08:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You get around the pioneer change by maxing growth out early.  Sovereign's call becomes vital early game now, as does the tower.

Procipinee is now massively buffed due to scrying pool guaranteeing an essence and the outposts.

January 22, 2013 6:12:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated.  Trying now.

January 22, 2013 6:26:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Still waiting for the update to show up on Steam.  Any idea when it will hit?

gs

January 22, 2013 6:31:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the change for population, but then output needs to be removed from the settler's list, or make it an non-consuming action.

And yes...thanks for the update!

January 22, 2013 6:49:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting gladestrider,
Still waiting for the update to show up on Steam.  Any idea when it will hit?

gs

I was able to trigger the update by closing and then opening Steam.

January 22, 2013 6:58:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is the second update that I haven't been able to install directly.  Last time, I had to uninstall and re-download the whole thing to install the game.

It's probably because I install on a secondary partition (non-standard location), but it's really frustrating to have to download a 3.2GB installer because the patcher won't work right.

January 22, 2013 6:58:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Was able to score it from Stardock Central without a hitch...so unlike the EF download from Stradock this past weekend! Took almost an hour for the game D/L....All is well now!

January 22, 2013 7:17:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player, multi-player

Good work on the patch otherwise.

January 22, 2013 7:53:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the patch so far, except I notice something probably game-breaking about the new mechanic.  You can queue up a pioneer and it will subtract the population, and then cancel it later and it will give you the 30 population back, even putting you over your food cap (which lets you cheat).

Territory does seem like its more meaningful now that you can't just spam pioneers and make cities/outposts to cover the map and the race between you and the other factions to "land grab" with pioneers is definitely altered.  Towns are definitely more important due to the increased radius, growth buildings, and SLUMS ftw.      

January 22, 2013 11:03:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm guessing that the city population (when building units) is calculating from your empire/kingdom's entire population and not just "that" settlement.  A newly founded settlement should not be able to build/queue Pioneers until it has at least 31 population.  I'm about midway through a 1.2 game and the settler spam doesn't feel all that reduced, probably because of the above.

January 22, 2013 11:23:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thus far I am seeing Tarth using Archers more often and the AI is fielding stronger armies. I like it.

That said, the AI still does not know how to counter the Staff wielding Reslon GraveWarden armies tactically nor strategically. Tactically, it should target the gravewardens and not a champion that it can't damage.  Strategically it should threaten 3 cities at the same time, not just send army after army at the same center city when it could threaten simultaneously threaten cities on each flank.

January 22, 2013 11:53:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting paladinjb,
I like the patch so far, except I notice something probably game-breaking about the new mechanic.  You can queue up a pioneer and it will subtract the population, and then cancel it later and it will give you the 30 population back, even putting you over your food cap (which lets you cheat).

I didn't notice being able to over-populate a city like this, but I did notice that starting the pioneer build in a city with decent growth right when the pop maxes out enables me to extend the growth period of a city more efficiently, and if I queue the pioneer behind something else, the city's pop may be already maxed out again by the time the pioneer gets built. Meaning, that at the very beginning of the game I cannot spam because I don't have enough growth - but once I get my pop to the pop barrier, I will have had time to build the tower of dominion, an inn, maybe a well, and have also boosted influence through tech research and questing/hero hiring, I can still pretty easily spam the pioneers at that point, with no real consequence, because the pop growth will have stopped at that point anyway.

So, yeah, the mechanic delays pioneer spamming, but not really for that long. IMHO the problem isn't really the pioneers. It's the cities themselves - new cities may be too cheap to maintain once built.

January 23, 2013 2:15:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Then it's simple, villages should have a 5 gold upkeep. Tower of Dominion should probably produces the same gold though. Or have the capital exempt from the cost, whatever.

January 23, 2013 3:44:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks great this patch. Can't wait to test it out.

The pioneers costing population is a welcome change. We needed more opportunity costs on spamming new cities and outposts. More strategy and long term planning from the start of the game is of course great. Growing capital a level or 2, or go out securing a city/outpost location or two first instead, should be a hard decission for the player to make. Not a non brainer: Build as many pioneers you possible can from game start.

In any case, growing TOO fast should be a bad choice in ANY case, to prevent a too fast city spam all over the map, and to force the player to balance growth in number of cities/outposts versus development and growth of each individual city.

Just fix possible exploits by saving population this way by queueing the pioneers up (if this is a problem, I havent played patch yet), then cancel them when over the pop limit to get to next city level faster. This could for instance be solved by stopping population growth when the pioneers are being trained instead of removing 30 citizens the moment you press train.

January 23, 2013 5:57:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem is, this just delays the city spamming, it doesn't really solve the problem.

Whatwas really needed is opportunity cost for not levelling up your cities.

January 23, 2013 6:36:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
The problem is, this just delays the city spamming, it doesn't really solve the problem.

Whatwas really needed is opportunity cost for not levelling up your cities.

Yep, but delaying city/outpost spamming is a good thing in itself for the gameplay, hence my previous post. So the problem with non-brainer city spam at once as a super effective strategy above everything else seems solved (as I said; haven't played patch yet). Of course you might be right that city spamming is still a too good strategy from the start, you probably are. I'll play it and come back later with comments on that, but I'm not in doubt this pioneer cost change at least will help.

If the goal is to remove city/outpost spamming completely, we indeed need harder measures. I don't like how city/outpost spam take up all the territory in a fantasy game either.

Edit: Hehe, I think we two are very much in agreement, just didn't want to compare early city spam to abit slower city spam as the same kind of problem. Making it abit slower is an important improvement in the right direction afterall.

January 23, 2013 8:11:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the pioneer change.  Population growth is more useful and you can work on other things without worrying about the lost opportunity to spam a pioneer out.

January 23, 2013 11:26:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Decalon was already ridiculously good late game teleport basically anywhere + turn any hero into a competent mage + grab all schools you want for strategy (like earth for lower land) but now also essentially gives that player a huge production bonus above everybody else early to mid game because she's the only one who can afford to connect her cities. Great. And pathing is still sucks without a turn counter and a preview option no matter how much you improve the algorithm. Why doesn't this get fixed? Is it because you think it would give the player to much of an advantage over the AI who is always getting his troops eaten? If that's so it's silly, because it just separates players into two categories -1) those who are tedious enough to work around it, and those who don't care because they are already OP, and 2) those who are annoyed by it and other UI annoyances enough to not regularly play the game. I fall in the latter category. 

January 23, 2013 12:03:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Even with the 1.2 changes, the process of winning remains the same. It's still pretty much build up your army ASAP and defeat your enemy before he can do it to you.

I remember a lot of discussion in GC2 about strategy and tactics. I realize we're going through a "bug reporting" phase with FE, but still, I don't see much of it here.

January 23, 2013 3:14:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,
Even with the 1.2 changes, the process of winning remains the same. It's still pretty much build up your army ASAP and defeat your enemy before he can do it to you.

Indeed. Like many others, this is a game of understanding how to maximize an exponential growth curve. To that end, early pioneer spamming is one strategy which MUST work to some extent. It just shouldn't be so powerful that no other strategy compares.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001859   Page Render Time: