Pick 5 THINGS for FE 1.3

By on January 12, 2013 12:44:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

With v1.2 just about ready to go out, it's time to think about v1.3.

Before people start making feature requests, I would like to emphasize what I'd like v1.3 to be about: Playability glitches.

A playability glitch is hard to really classify. It's not a crash. It's some feature that doesn't work as you'd expect or as you would assume was intended. And if you play a game for hundreds of hours, they become maddening.

So what I would like to use this post for is to ask the regulars here to post five (and only five so that people have to put some thought into what really bugs them) things you'd like to see us "fix" about Fallen Enchantress.

I'll post my 5 later in the thread but I don't want to bias things with my own pet peeves.

!!! Update !!!

We read through this thread carefully and tried to implement as many of these things as possible.  Here are a few of the things that got special attention for 1.3 which should be going into internal beta soon:

• Pathfinding.  You should notice that when you have a unit in a city and tell him to go somewhere else that it'll get there.  Same for a lot of other pathfinding that seems wonky. I don't know if it's perfect but it should be better.
  • AI winning. This may turn out to be more controversial (or more to the point, we may have to nerf this as it may be a case of "be careful for what you wish for).  The AI is a lot better now at pursuing *victory* conditions.  The AI, overall, is substantially better and more interesting.
  • Pacing. This is a general issue that I saw people bring up in various forms. 
  • Greater city differentiation. Conclaves vs. Towns vs. Fortresses have had their benefits / penalties magnified.
  • More interesting map generation in terms of resources.
  • Tile selection. This is one that we'll have to see how well the fix works. It's a hit or miss thing (seems to be camera related). Some users have reported that selecting a tile doesn't always select the tile they think they're clicking on.
  • Diplomacy. A lot of people talked about this.  Now, there's only so much we can do in an update but basically the AI's behavior should be a lot less schizophrenic. 

That's not the only change in 1.3. There's the usual assortment of bug fixes and balance changes. But those the above are the things that got the most engineering hours.

Locked Post 221 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 12, 2013 12:57:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) When a city gets attacked twice in one turn, sometimes it will lack all its militia defense the second time around.

2) The game is misinterpreting pathfinding around long rivers. If I am next to a river, and want to go to a tile that is just across the river, most of the time the pathfinder will take me around the whole river.

3) The fact that lots of really strong enemies have Sweep and don't use it in combat (dragons).

4) Missing Metal can cripple the AI completely, militarily speaking. The AI needs more crystal-only designs, ESPECIALLY "mages" that I never see used.

5) Blood Season event doesn't work.

5) Selecting multiple units to exit from a city is a damn chore, when I hold CTRL down the mouse becomes difficult to move.

January 12, 2013 12:59:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Improve the function of the left-side slider bar for units/cities/quests. It is hard to scroll up and down without scrolling the world map to the left. Also, after scrolling, the Enter key no longer ends the turn. One possibility would be to (optionally?) add a second column.

2. I use the arrow keys a lot to move around the strategic map. It drives me crazy that I have to instead use the mouse to scroll the map in tactical battles.

3. I would like to be able to edit my custom sovereigns instead of deleting them and starting over to make one little tweak.

4. Auto End Turn could use an overhaul. I turned it off after my second game. Here’s a link to a post I made about it a while ago that outlines my concerns:  http://forums.elementalgame.com/437075

EDIT/ADD:

5. Improve auto-resolve.

January 12, 2013 1:08:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

#1 Road Building: Road-building between cities/outposts is a big headache.  You shouldn't be able to build a road through enemy territory (or monster spawn points) and if there is a road, caravans shouldn't be able to travel that road unless you have a non-agg pact.  The priority for roads built to outposts should be to go from a city to the outpost, hub and spoke style.  Obviously, you don't want roads in parallel, but if you put an outpost near a city, the road it builds should be to that city, not to the nearest road.

I know it's not going to happen, but it would also be nice if the path of the road could change when conditions do.  So if you pacify an area, and that allows a more efficient path between your cities or your trade partners or whatever, a new road will be created and the old road slowly fades away.

#2 Pathing hints: Give the user an idea of what path a unit will take before they start to move.  Also, for moves that take multiple turns, show the number of turns to complete (preferably by coloring each turn differently).

#3 Get rid of auto-explore: In a game with monsters, it's pretty useless.  It's like a command to tell your units to wander off and die somewhere off-screen.  Plus, it's extra annoying since you can't tell when a unit is in auto-explore mode (since the "Explore" button doesn't change in any way).

#4 Allow passage through allied cities/structures: if we have an alliance, their units should be able to pass through my cities and vice-versa.

#5 Movement points: Track individual units movement points please!  If a 4 move units moves onto a tile with a unit that has no movement left the 4 move unit shouldn't lose all its moves.  And can we you please show fractional moves so we can see how many tiles our unit can travel on a road?

January 12, 2013 1:38:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Open road costs, speed bonus etc. to modding.

2. propose a new order 'sentry' that is acting as Guard but awake the unit if an enemy can reach it the next turn.

3. Allow to move through allies units and even stack in  same tile as them.

4. Allow visual cues on what are the move left (down to fractions), and as Sweatyboatman says, track each unit move points (don't reduce them because another unit in stack has used its move)

5. as in Gal Civ, propose as an option that if a unit on auto-move has some move left, don't end turn and give back control to player.

January 12, 2013 1:55:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Units leaving cities needs to be reworked, I automatically just hold control now but it is not ideal and for new users I'm sure it sucks.

2. The post movement path selection line that was added is great, would be even better though if you could preselect that ala HOMM or Civ

Will add more if I think of them.

January 12, 2013 1:56:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1: Path-finding:

• Its both rubbish, the units doesn't follow a serious route when the path I want them to take becomes long.
  • The UI around path-finding could be better, most pressing is I want some system to see the path to where my unit would move (tile by tile) before I give the actual order.

2: User Interface:

• I don't know if this is part of what you wanted, but I am rather bothered  by some elements here and there, I would rather make a list somewhere else, most common annoyance is those small arrows to slide between hero information.

3: Movement Points:

• I really wish these were tracked by individual unit, instead of the group as a whole, If I have 1 scout unit with 2 movement points, and 1 cavalry unit with 4 movement points in the same group, travelling through a forest, they could when split up in 2 groups move 2 squares each, but when stacked together, the group can only move 1 square.

4: Information boxes:

• These pop ups telling you "Your outpost was razed", or when the AI gives you some weird trade offer, I would wish these were "Minimize-able", so I could just look at the information in a detailed window, minimize it and check whatever I want to check like gold income, and then re-open it to take my final decision.
  • Also these pop ups needs a some buttons like "take me to the place where my outpost were razed", or "Tell me about this trade treaty you are offering" buttons, and generally trading windows needs to explain things better.

5: Auto Resolve, and Auto Combat:

• Auto Resolve is currently flawed in its very design, I am sure you can find forum posts explaining this in detail.
  • Auto Combat Right now is slightly lacking, it is playing by rules that the game doesn't have, stuff like when the unit is already engaged in melee, it will not disengage for some reason, it would be nice to see the AI intelligently use its movepoints and abilities, well at least more intelligently, one example is, spiders should use they're movement points BEFORE using WEB.

I know some of these might be tough, but these are things I want to be fixed, you decide the final stages
Edit: Made some text smaller, to use less space.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

January 12, 2013 2:39:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
1) When a city gets attacked twice in one turn, sometimes it will lack all its militia defense the second time around.

2) The game is misinterpreting pathfinding around long rivers. If I am next to a river, and want to go to a tile that is just across the river, most of the time the pathfinder will take me around the whole river.

3) The fact that lots of really strong enemies have Sweep and don't use it in combat (dragons).

4) Missing Metal can cripple the AI completely, militarily speaking. The AI needs more crystal-only designs, ESPECIALLY "mages" that I never see used.

5) Blood Season event doesn't work.

5) Selecting multiple units to exit from a city is a damn chore, when I hold CTRL down the mouse becomes difficult to move.

On #1 that is by design.

On #2 that's a good one to have looked at

On #3 I'll talk to the XML guys about having a way for the AI to know what "sweep" is specifically.

On #4 Someone suggested this and I agree, we should have a thread where people submit all kinds of unit designs and we can put them in.

On #5 Will pass that on to Derek.

On #6 good one.

January 12, 2013 2:51:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

#1 you mean we are expected to send a levee to trigger the militias and then do our real attack without city defence? This sounds like a loophole.

January 12, 2013 3:22:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
On #1 that is by design.

Players like me prefer when odd mechanics like this is represented somewhere in the game so it doesn't seem like an oddity/bug..

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

January 12, 2013 3:29:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[quote who="Frogboy" reply="8" id="3307374"]Quoting Heavenfall, reply 1

On #1 that is by design.

This would make sense if it was tied to population.  A larger city would probably be able to recruit additional militia several times before they ran out, although the units should probably become less well trained & equiped each time (that might be a little too ambitious, but would add realism).  Maybe when a city reaches 50% of its starting population (you'd have to have a population loss for each battle) it can no longer replace militia or just something simple like Level 1 gets 1 additional recruitment, Level 2 gets 2, and so on.

January 12, 2013 3:34:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mine have all been said so I will just add my vote. They are mostly centred around unit interactions.

1) Pathfinding

2) Unit Selection/End Turn (a la Gal Civ) - If I hit spacebar it goes to the next unmoved unit etc. I know that the game does not randomly jump from unit to unit, I know there are shortcut keys. I've been playing right from the beginning, but i haven't really figured out what it is doing. If anybody as an explanation I would love to hear it.

3) Unit Selection/Stacks in cities, also when splitting a stack, creating a stack. I find it very frustrating when doing anything with stacks. I always end up wasting moves.

4) Movement points - Show how many moves I have and how many moves something will take. For example, standing beside a monster lair sometimes I attack a monster kill it and can explore the lair, sometimes I have to wait to the next turn. I know there is a system but once again there is no easy way to see.

5) Roads -  I love an organized system of movement between all my cities and outposts. The randomness of roads and their placements does annoy me. I know I can train an administrator but I would love for you to take a look at roads.

I don't comment on the board much. But I do love the game and have been playing since WOM. Thanks for everything.

January 12, 2013 3:39:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) Movement.

Please move to a two-click system as seen in e.g. HoMM: first click sets the target, calculates a path and shows that path, preferably with the part doable in the first turn in a different color and with tick marks for the end of each turn. Hovering over any part of the path also shows how many turns it will take to reach that point.

Additionally, please add a "move toward the set target" command and do NOT move any unit before it has either got an explicit move command (two clicks on a (new) target or "move to set target") or during end-of-turn processing.

2) Loading

Loading a saved game is the operation with the most annoyances.

The most obvious thing is that it forgets all messages.

The most annoying thing is that it automatically moves all units along their set path before giving control to the player, contrary to the behavior during normal play - also see the "move to target" command above.

Additionally, it wastes a lot of memory (around 300M with a mostly explored large map, checked with 1.00), making the game crash after loading a few times.

And finally, there have been several reports that - at least sometimes - the AI gets to take an extra turn, and I also had that impression in a few cases where timing was critical. I guess the AI always gets an extra turn, but we players only notice that when we are in some kind of race and thus pay attention.

3) Messages

Currently the messages are just slightly better than nothing.

The "outpost destroyed" messages are even worse than useless - they tell me a very imprecise direction (certainly made worse by the large map) and nothing else. They should become normal messages and lea to the site of the destroyed outpost.

Even the normal build notices don't survive save/load (as noted above), so the only sensible time to leave the game is just before pressing end of turn. I'd like them to get saved and loaded.

Once used to go to their event, they vanish. This is annoying when I find out I need some other info before I can decide how to react, get a bit sidetracked and then have no idea where the event was.

Example: City has built something, with something more in the queue. I look around whether there are connected resources I should develop, defeat some monsters before I dare put down an outpost, search for and divert a pioneer and then have already forgotten which city that was - and since it isn't idle, I can't easily find it in the city list.

Personally I'd prefer that they get only hidden with the possibility to unhide them again - all at once or even individually from a list window.

4) Road routing

Roads should never run through a monster lair.

5) Stacking with non-enemies

It should always be possible to move into and through a tile that contains a non-enemy stack.

As a followup, the game engine should recognize two inimical stacks in the same square and initiate combat. With staggered movement it has gotten more rare, but I sometimes still see an AI player stack in the same square as a monster (I'll try to remember to save and post next time) - and maybe that check could also catch enemy units in a conquered city.

January 12, 2013 3:50:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting scifi1950,
[quote who="Frogboy" reply="8" id="3307374"]Quoting Heavenfall, reply 1

On #1 that is by design.

This would make sense if it was tied to population.  A larger city would probably be able to recruit additional militia several times before they ran out, although the units should probably become less well trained & equiped each time (that might be a little too ambitious, but would add realism).  Maybe when a city reaches 50% of its starting population (you'd have to have a population loss for each battle) it can no longer replace militia or just something simple like Level 1 gets 1 additional recruitment, Level 2 gets 2, and so on.

What would be probably makes the most sense is that the militias, if killed in a turn, don't reappear to defend the same turn, and that's it. Having militias not appear on the second attack, whatever the strength of the first attack (a decoy attack) is odd.

January 12, 2013 4:40:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

HF- I agree with pts 2-4 and 6. One more addition to pt 6, I want a SHIFT key too for units 1-6 out of 8 units or 1-8 for all of them too. (so with 2 clicks I'm done) That would be amazing. (PLEASE I BEG YOU, I would love you!) 

Coyote- Agree on all pts. For editing your Sov how about adding middle mouse click to edit him. 

Ops I went over RUN! 

January 12, 2013 4:41:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Army placement and order when conquering city. Sometimes when I conquer a city, one or two of my units are left outside the city. They were in the stack, participated in the battle and were just left there.  And while you are looking at this, see if you can figure out why enemy units are left behind in the city square on the world map. They just sit there and do nothing.

2. Order of units leaving city. Sometimes I will use auto-battle to take cities. I have learned to put a high hp, high defense unit at the bottom of the stack to absorb damage. However, if that same stack then leaves the city they are in a completely different order. Now my wimpy mage is at the tail end and is gonna die in the next auto-battle unless I split the stack into two stacks, move one square and combine again. The order should not change unless I want it to change.

3. Losing a city with no battle. After taking a city, I now always have to go to the city screen to see if there is a militia there. Sometimes there is not, and one never appears. So I move my army off and a solo enemy hero comes out of the fog, waltzes in and takes it without a fight. Please make the militia present in all cities, especially after conquest.

4. Nothing to build on the city build menu.  I have taken enemy cities and when looking at the build screen there is absolutely nothing there. The unrest is not too high, there is room to expand and looking at what has already been built there are two or maybe three buildings.  Checking back later, nothing has changed.

5. Underground rivers. A plain of grass stretches out before us, Army! Move forward with all haste! Eeeep, we stopped after one move. Mousing over the terrain reveals that it is really a river tile, disguised as grass. It kinda slows down the old blitzkreig.

Thank you for a fun game, and for considering the feedback from us players.

January 12, 2013 5:03:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Path finding. I'm not sure why anyone else has mentioned this with regard to pathfinding, but often I will point a unit to a location, the pathfinding algorithim  makes a path, but my unit stays where it is, no matter how many times I click the turn button.

2. Often when I try to select a tile or an opponent in tactical, the mouse pointer will flicker and/or point to the wrong tile.

3. Auto resolve.

4. Diplomacy.

5. Add more randomness/variety to loot found. I often get the same items over and over again in the same game.

5a. Related to 5, the gildar received for defeating a monster should be in line with the monster's difficulty. In my last game, I got 16 gildar for defeating a dragon, but 48 gildar for defeating a a few trolls.

January 12, 2013 6:00:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Autoresolve. Last unit in the stack always takes every single attack from the enemy, and a huge number of traits/skills/whatever are completely ignored.

2. Reloading and Ctrl-N. Chews up memory and starts breaking visuals, probably leads to crashes if those symptoms are ignored. Stuff isn't unloading properly, doing much of either requires a game restart to clear it and get the game running smoothly again.

3. Pathfinding. What everyone else said, but also the extreme difficulty of targeting certain tiles in some terrain or parts of the map and the tendency for the stack to somehow start moving in the opposite direction when you don't click just right in these areas.

4. City updates. The constant need to deselect and reselect cities, or even wait a turn, to get cities to update and allow building placement next to something that has just completed (mainly through rushing). Also cities randomly changing the queue order when map resource improvements are started.

Not really my number 5 but I doubt anyone else is going to mention it and it does annoy me: An outpost with a hightower that is captured then recaptured in one (full) turn will show a border radius of only 1 tile instead of 3 until the game is reloaded (having it captured again later might also fix it, I haven't let that happen).

January 12, 2013 6:11:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) Pathfinding

Especially when you go out of a city and missing road for some strange reasons

2) Roads

Not only that they go through lairs, but also this: new city/outpost always creates a road only to one city. If i have a cities A and B not connected by the road, and then i build an outpost between them the road will go only to one of the cities. Similarly, if i have a number of cities in a shape of circle and i build a city right at the center of the circle it will connect just to one city. I think algorithm building roads should check if there are other cities in vicinity (and in different directions) and connect them all (or let's say 3 of them) to a new city. Here is a picture:

D---E---F

I

A---B---C  

I build as the last city D, i do not want it only to be connected to E, but also to A (presuming F and C are connected through connection I).

January 13, 2013 1:00:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great to see some of these things getting addressed.  

1. Pathfinding / Movement

Any improvements as mentioned would be great.  Anything as mentioned that would help know who many movement points an army has etc as already mentioned. Waypoints would be nice too.

2. When a city gets attacked twice in one turn, sometimes it will lack all its militia defense the second time around (as posted by HF)

OK so if this is by design there needs to be some clarity as to how it works.  I don't understand what the design intent is here.

3. Tactical Web

Stop the AI from Webbing Archers.  Not really a "glitch" but it's just silly

4. AI breaking peace treaties arbitrarily 

I presume this is not by design.  Very annoying to shell out a heap of gildar for a peace treaty with the AI only to have them attack you 2 turns later.  

5. The hightower bug/glitch mentioned by Sanati (it annoys the crap out of me too!), this one...

"Not really my number 5 but I doubt anyone else is going to mention it and it does annoy me: An outpost with a hightower that is captured then recaptured in one (full) turn will show a border radius of only 1 tile instead of 3 until the game is reloaded (having it captured again later might also fix it, I haven't let that happen)."

January 13, 2013 2:48:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) Autoresolve

2) The webbing of archers (could be fixed either by changing web or changing the AI.  Beguile and web should have an effect on ranged as well.

3) insta-raze by AI

4) Roads going through wildlands and monster lairs

5) AI doesn't seem to understand how to use silver tongue.

The militia thing, it can be exploited by the player- if this was MP it would be a massive issue.  Should still be removed.  It should be militia that dies in a first battle doesn't come back for a turn.  That makes more sense.

January 13, 2013 5:53:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OK, here are my 5 things that would IMHO make the game significantly more interesting and strategically fun to play:

1) Make it so that "path of the governor" heroes and champions gain some XP while stationed in cities (MAJOR IMPROVEMENT TO GAMEPLAYING)

2) Really REALLY REALLY fix Auto-resolve

3) Item Vault building that can be constructed in cities and used to "store" items and artifacts

4) WALL structure that can be built on the strategic map and act like a mountain (i.e. stop movement to all but flying units)... I know we can do this with raise land, but I would love to be able to fencepost my core cities and empires and only allow passage through my outposts... right now I only play maps with natural choke points that allow me to do this.

5) Engineer unit or henchman trait that alllows the building of roads, outposts and also walls (see point 5)

Best, bendiwolf

January 13, 2013 6:08:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

#1 Strategic spells hotkeys, or just a better spell interface. Finding them and using it multiple times is a chore.

#2 Diplomacy AI. Make it possible to "please" stronger AI's, and make non-aggression pacts actually work. This breaks the game so much, you get punished for exploring which is bad design, and everyone is at war with each other all the time, which is retarded.

#3 A button for removing army from city. Selecting them one and one after each capture is a pain in the ass.

#4 Get caltrops on outposts available earlier. (blacksmithing makes sense to me) Giving them at siege weapons is way too late, you need them for defense way earlier.

#5 Move the trade treaty? (the road between capitals thingie) to a later tech. It messes up early game defense, and you are stupid if you do one with AI, since they will use it to attack you. That was a hard lesson to learn, since at the start I thought all agreements were good ones. 

January 13, 2013 6:35:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) Tactical Combat

AI Enemy targeting is too one-dimensional.  I know that the AI will go after my weakest unit and that it has a one track mind.  I have actually discovered if I put my weakest unit in the back corner of the tactical map and surround him with my units, then the enemy ceases to move because they can no longer reach the target.  They need to have more than just a primary target.  If they can't reach the desired unit, they should then calculate the next best unit to attack, and this shouldn't necessarily be the unit right next to them.  They should see if they can move and still attack a better unit near them.  Or at least inch towards their primary target while attacking other things along the way.  Its too easy to predict as of now.

Also auto-resolving combats is all over the place.  I know to auto-resolve fights with Shamans and Dark Wizards becauseCoal Stones and Despair are to OP if I play them out manually.  If I have weak units in my army, they usually die if I auto-resolve, however when I manually do the combat, I keep them protected, so I feel I have to play out combat where I have weak mages or new units I want to get experience for.

2) Movement

We need to have movement points visible, especially on roads.  I don't care if it is an ugly decimal or something, as long it is information I can work with.  I don't like not knowing if I should risk moving my pioneer past some troll standing next to a road, or whether to wait another turn.

It would be good to see a trail to when I move the cursor around, because the I may click to move a unit 5 tiles away, but because maybe their is another factions territory in between (regardless of whether or not we are at war), the automatic pathfinding will marhc me around there territory.  And there is no way to cancel a unit moving once it starts.

3) Wildlands

I like the wildlands aspect of the game.  I wish the titans that roamed them were tougher.  They are just to slow and move too little without any defense for kiting.  They are plain crippled if you cast slow on them and then also slow them by hitting them with an ice elemental.  I find the units around them more of a threat.  Especially in the swamp.  Haunters are damn nasty if you let them get some attacks in.

4) Spells

I think you should look at which ones we use and don't use.  I find myself using the same ones over and over again.  I just played Ceresa and all I pretty much used was Shadowbolt (which seemed to hit everything and hard) and slow.  Graveseal is pretty cool as well.  Especially with infection.

5) Dragons and monsters

Man I like dragons.  But they are just too OP at this stage.  Once I get a dragon of my own, I know its game over.  Fire breath does like over 100 damage and can injure 9 units at once. 

Please fix the sweep animation on dragons as well.  I normally click the sweep button and then go on a bathroom break.  If I'm lucky the damage has finally been calculated when I sit back down.

I'd like to see more enemies/units change over time or with experience.  I really like the shard demons and how they slowly change as they age.  And as they do, they get new abilitied.  That is just cool.

Did I over-extend my 5 choices?

Oh, one more off the top of my head.  It would be great if scouts could pick up equipment from caches and carry items in general (but not use).  They could then be used to transfer stuff between heroes which would be very helpful.

January 13, 2013 6:44:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Edit: re-read Frogboy's post, a little clarity added.

1) It's maddening to have to scroll through my stacks to see who can move and who cannot. fix: Show the number of moves left on the strategic screen in place of the number of hp's for the stack. Put the number of hp's on the army screen, perhaps using the circle around the units as the indicator (full health, green circle all the way around, half health, half a circle). From the strategic map, I'd much rather know who can move rather than health. Once I click on the stack, then I need their health values. Mouseover with exact health probably wouldn't hurt.

2) It's maddening to only know how many seasons something takes to produce. Fix: add production detail for what I'm building. It would be useful to know the total points needed to build as well how many have been currently expended. Probably the easiest solution is to mouseover the name of what is being produced (ie at mouseover: Workshop 20/80/103 - first number my production, second number expended, third number total). This gives me the information I need for rushing.

3) It's maddening not to know where my units are going, how long it takes, etc. Fix: I agree with the 2 click option. It's simple and most of us are use to that type.

4) It's maddening to lose a whole day to this game. Fix: In-game clock with ideally an alarm.  

5) It's maddening to have to click, scroll, click read for info on the game. Fix: A simple search interface in the Hiergamenon. Type the first few letters and get a list of responses. For those of us new to the game, it's a lot of clicking/scrolling to find out what we need to know. 

And great game. I'm a fan of both 4x and rpg, so it's nice to be able feed both addictions in one game. 

-Dave

January 13, 2013 6:56:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Diplomacy. It needs to be less random and more predictable. Also more useful. The AI is generally too aggressive I think, to the point where you can play the whole game without even bothering with diplomacy, because most people will declare war on you anyway. They're only friendly if you're more powerful than them.

I think caravans and other pacts should have more impact on relations, and the AI should care a little less about military power, and not want to crush everyone who's weaker than them. The AI should also respect and want NAPs and tribute agreements. And to avoid an exploit like in GalCiv, where you could be liked by everyone, you can implement a mechanic like in CIV IV "you're trading with our enemies" which will make you choose your friends more carefully.

Diplomacy as it is, is more of a chore, and at the beginning of the game you don't want to encounter anyone else, because most of the time they'll just declare war for no apparent reason. Encountering a player from the opposite allegiance should scare you, but encountering one from your allegiance should be a blessing, as they should want peace and cooperation between same-side factions. Also, in the end-game, even good old friends will turn against you, because they want to "bring order to the world", which they could very easily do by completing the Master Quest or the Spell of Making, without turning against old friends, which could be as powerful as them.

That's my biggest gripe with the game at the moment, others have made good points too.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: