Fallen Enchantress 1.20 Changelog

By on January 10, 2013 5:27:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Derek Paxton

Join Date 03/2003
+171

*** Released 1/22/2013 ***

Balance

Reduced Wealthy from +800 Gildar to +500 Gildar

Ancient Temples are more common and they give +1 Research per turn instead of +1 Mana

Pastures gives +3% hit points to all your units instead of increasing the grains of the attached city

Increased the default players on small, medium and large maps slightly

Increased the labor costs of bows and ranged staves

Fruit Groves, Twilight Bees, Wild Game and Whild Grain are now more common

Increased the amount of resources spawned

Monsters still raze city but it no longer salts the land

Twilight Honey now provides a faction wide -2% to unrest

Gold deposits are more common but produce less gildar

Grain provies 25 food instead of 20 by default

Modified rarity of different world resources and their availability to have more variety

Goodie huts are slightly more common

Shards are slightly rarer

Default turn limit reduced to 800 (from 1000)

Blizzard can be cast in an area will hit your units (and it will damage them)

Pioneers cost 30 population when trained

Fixes

Fixed a bug where the hit point bar wouldn't update when the crushing blow ability was used

Fixed bug where AI units would sometimes get stuck (like watching while their city was taken over or not going out to get goodie huts or going after an easy kill unit)

Fixed bug where AI knowledge trading didn't always reduce tradeable knowledge

Fixed an issue keeping the Growth potion from increasing blunt damage

Fixed an issue where the Paragon spell could be cast indefinitly

Fixed an issue where units will now exit cities in the best way to reach their specified destination

Fixed crashes

AI

AI more intelligent about when and what it builds in its cities

AI evaluates whether it should be training archers/catapults/mounted units more effectively

Fixed but that caused AI to disproportionately choose the first level up perk (like Assassin)

AI more aggressive about getting to goodie huts

UI

Fixed glitch that caused the arrow cursor to show instead of the hour glass when the player dragged the map between turns

Reduced ground cover on terrain with the exception of deserts

Added an icon to all the Refined techs to indicate that they can be researched multiple times

Fixed lots of typos

Resource tooltip no longer lists the tech requirement if the player already has the tech

Removed references to techs unlocking quests in the tech descriptions

Locked Post 82 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 10, 2013 5:27:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's it. Back to the store!

January 10, 2013 5:41:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pioneers now cost 75 gildar to produce

I still think this is a bad idea. Both Gold and Pioneers are primarily limited in the early game. But there are two unbalancing factors for this - the Wealthy trait, now worth 6 cities, and all the magical items you find in the world that should NOT primarily be a source of gold income (they will become that now - sell my sword to found a city? Not a difficult choice...).

If you simply make a pioneer cost 30 population to build, you have a much more clever solution to prevent early-game pioneer spam. Faction Prestige becomes more important, and your ability to build more pioneers becomes seriously hampered as that is spread around more and more if you expand faster than your prestige grows, tying your ability to expand your faction both to sovereign level and civilization technologies.

January 10, 2013 5:55:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hf nailed it.  Change Pioneer to a population cost not gildar.  Solves a whole bunch of issues as HF outlined.

January 10, 2013 5:55:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Pioneers now cost 75 gildar to produce

I still think this is a bad idea...

I agree 100%. In addition, it just feels right to treat population as resource in that matter. You need people to build the frontier, not money. You need money to maintain it.

January 10, 2013 6:00:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah population as a resource is a good idea, do you want a large military early on? Well that should cost population, and while those people are conscripted they don't pay taxes....

January 10, 2013 6:12:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Polistes,

Yeah population as a resource is a good idea, do you want a large military early on? Well that should cost population, and while those people are conscripted they don't pay taxes....

We actually had this in at one point (I think i have a dev journal up about it).  I love the concept of it and it.  But it didn't playtest well.  It made the pace really hard to manage as players unintentionally stripped away their population base.  I couldn't find a good balance between making population matter enough that you really care when you were building military units and keeping it from taking the production of the rails when players built more or less units than was expected.

I'm not saying it wouldnt be possible to find a good balance on it, and it would be a lot easier in the current economic system (in that system population fed directly into prod and research instead of indirectly through city levels).  In fact in the current system I suspect it would error on the other side and players wouldnt care enough that their population was going away.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with your idea, in fact I loved it enough to write a system around it.  Just that it has its own hurdles and challenges.

edit: And I pulled the pioneers costing gold out of the changelog.  Im playtesting them as a population cost.

January 10, 2013 6:19:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Idea: make the pioneers production time be based on the growth rate of the city instead of any other factor?  That might make overexpansion really hard, as pioneers would take very long to build.  also make pioneers unrushable.  

That might work, though it's a bit wonky.  Would also make growth rate buildings like inns and well more useful in early game.

January 10, 2013 6:48:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think pioneers costing population is good to balance out the creation of new cities, but when taking the ability to create outposts into account it may wind up being too pricey for that.  Is X amount of population to create a city balanced, but overpriced to create an outpost?  Might have to find a way to differentiate the cost on those two abilities.  This would also makes the spell arcane monolith, the one that creates outposts, very powerful, because you are essentially getting free population (in the new system) to use in addition to the awesome ability to just plop an outpost directly on the map for mana.  You would probably have to add a cooldown to the spell and/or some other balance changes.  I do like the idea of a population cost being tied to pioneers/new city creation though.

I would consider increasing the bonuses to gildar, research, and production that a city gets upon leveling up.  I think those bonuses were not affected by unrest, but seemed small compared to what the base material and special buildings provide.  I would consider adjusting those static bonuses higher (production especially) to make having fewer but higher level cities and population growth more appealing.  Each time you created a city, the additional cost would be that your prestige is divided up another way and your cities would get to those higher city level bonuses slower.  Make those bonuses more, and now you have to hesitate to just spawn cities everywhere.

Anyways, great changes and keep up the awesome work on this game!

January 10, 2013 7:39:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pop has relatively little value currently (am I correct in understanding that pop does not affect tax revenue?).  Sure, it's good to reach city level 2 to select which type of city it will be, but beyond that city leveling is a relatively low priority.  Gold has relatively great value (rush production, outfit champs and sov, etc.).  Therefore adding value to pop instead of adding even more value to gold seems a good game design decision.

So, add my vote to the 'settlers cost pop not gold' column.  Plus it's logical!

And, paladinjb's suggestion of separating out settling cities vs. outposts is a good idea.

January 10, 2013 8:40:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would say pay the population cost when founding a new city - not when building the pioneer.

I would also suggest making city level ups more meaningful, carefully considering the diversity and impact of the available choices, especially levels 3, 4, and 5.

Right now when I play I don't even consider going 'tall.'  It's just not worth the investment in infrastructure - more cities early on is always better for research, gold, production queues, etc.

January 11, 2013 2:55:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In my opinion, pioneers should be hard to get.  Not so hard that the AI struggles, mind.

One of the things I loved about Civ 5 was that you got free units for filling out some civ traits, including settlers.

Linking your success in the game to the rate at which pioneers show up would be one way to do it.  Think of your empire as another thing that can level up, and pioneers are your reward for doing that.  But of course, the higher the level, the longer it takes to fill that experience bar.

January 11, 2013 3:18:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

please improve tactical AI:

- monsters to use their AoE damage specials more (swipe, fire breath)

- target priority mistakes:

(i) finishing blow priority - if AI have last unit and full hp enemy champion in contact he is attacking fresh champion (unit) instead of making one step sideways or backwards to one of severe wounded enemy unints and trying to finish them. Maybe somehow AI thinks he is locked in base contact.

(ii) first blow priority on not acted units - initiative order should be taken into account. You can see this mistake with AI unit and two full hp targets in base contact, same stats but still ranked in initiative order after his action and AI attacks not next acting target. Add this mistake to complex battle where first strike matters more and he can try to finish off units what are not acted yet, but instead AI attacking already acted units who will do  their actions only in "next row".

January 11, 2013 6:02:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hello,
as a civ very old timer & FFH fan I just purchased this game. I really like the concept, but after a few turns find its enjoyment tarnished by the following "features":
- moving units around: could you please implement a civ 5 lookalike unit move preview in strategic view ? it's so convenient... at least please do something to help evaluate where unit can go with its remaining move allowance (like the one available in tactical mode)
- selecting units (strategic view): next unit with available moves does not seem to autoselect (even with corresponding option selected). Having to check each unit before selecting "end of turn" is tedious. It would also be nice to highlight units with remaining moves in the top left corner list, list those garisoned units (e.g. icon next to the city's ?), and display a "health" bar next to the unit icons & units themselves when not 100% healthy
- micromanagement: still no city production overflow carry over ? you gotta be kidding... this was a major gripe since the old Galciv days, should have been figured out since And if it's an intended design feature, please make it user de-selectable for those of us who abhor micromanagement hell... Also, could the city icons on the upper left highlight important info such as idle cities, food capped cities, add production queue list to mouse over etc... make the game easier to use
- understading of game mechanics: it's really not transparent to the user. The tutorial is really short and only skims the important concepts of the game, for example the city growth / food cap mechanism which is nice but specific to FE. I like complex games and gamplay strategy, but I don't like wasting time finding out how they work. I don't care if there are "complex" formulas with exponents or whatever, but I want to know. Without having to sift through piles of docs or having to search on the web...

Cheers

January 11, 2013 6:08:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As we are testing new concept, can we try changing mounts so they would add base hitpoints to the figures (like 10) and increase wage by 1?

as of now there is no point in not equipping mounts whenever possible.

January 11, 2013 6:10:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can we also add a global +5% unrest for each city placed? This change should complement well with global unrest reductions you've implemneted and high level cities global unrest reduction options.

January 11, 2013 10:00:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sentinemodo,
Can we also add a global +5% unrest for each city placed? This change should complement well with global unrest reductions you've implemneted and high level cities global unrest reduction options.

+5% might be a little too steep. At that rate, having a mere 10 cities would cripple your empire.

+2% may be acceptable, but why would your empire receive more unrest for being more successful??

January 11, 2013 11:09:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still think the cost should be on the city creation, not the pioneer creation.  I think we have too few outposts in general, and that would increase their creation.  

January 11, 2013 12:29:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,
Quoting Sentinemodo, reply 16Can we also add a global +5% unrest for each city placed? This change should complement well with global unrest reductions you've implemneted and high level cities global unrest reduction options.

+5% might be a little too steep. At that rate, having a mere 10 cities would cripple your empire.

+2% may be acceptable, but why would your empire receive more unrest for being more successful??

Larger empire are more difficult to manage. Less attention for each individual city brings less order in them. Less order -> greater unrest.

Level 3 town upgrade giving a -10% of global unrest would deal with it, and force more organic growth. Also it would benefit playing tall empire, that will be able to run with higher tax rates. and wide empires would benefit from large number of low taxed cities.

January 11, 2013 12:36:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
I still think the cost should be on the city creation, not the pioneer creation.  I think we have too few outposts in general, and that would increase their creation.  

There was a good suggestion to shift outpost building onto scout units. I'd even go with engineers units, that would be able to build roads.

January 11, 2013 1:11:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,

Quoting Sentinemodo,
There was a good suggestion to shift outpost building onto scout units. I'd even go with engineers units, that would be able to build roads.

Given how likely the automatic road building is to get fixed (i.e. to at least go around monster lairs), I think an engineer unit would be useful despite the micromanagement opportunity it introduces.

More in the current spirit of FE would be Muerteas' suggestion, which I'd modify as follows:

When a group of pioneers builds an outpost, it isn't consumed but frozen in place for e.g. 3 turns (much like the sovereign while casting Spell of Mastery). The outpost is only a construction site during the freeze.

An evil alternative would be to have the connected city build the outpost and to keep them frozen until it has done so

This means a pioneer is an up-front investment of people, but that investment isn't lost upon building an outpost. Decoupling the cost of outposts and new cities allows to balance the pioneer cost for their stronger function - founding cities - and to balance the cost _to_ the pioneers according to the usefulness of the outposts.

January 11, 2013 2:12:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has the post release modding focus Frogboy mentioned been scrapped completely, or is it coming further down the road?

January 11, 2013 2:24:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you are fixing balancing it would be nice to fix Paragon (http://forums.elementalgame.com/438602) as there's a major flaw in the spell.

It would also be nice to have a list of all known/fixed bugs (pinned topic?) with links to their threads. It seems like the devs aren't even aware of all bugs/topics (for example with Paragon as I linked 3 older topics in there and there never was any comment of the devs in any of them).

January 11, 2013 2:54:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In CoreSpells

<SpellDef InternalName="Growth_Self">

has this comma instead of a dot

<GameModifier>
            <ModType>Unit</ModType>
            <Attribute>AdjustUnitStat</Attribute>
            <StrVal>UnitStat_Attack_Blunt</StrVal>
            <Duration>-1</Duration>
            <Multiplier>1,5</Multiplier>
        </GameModifier>

so I'm guessing it does not work as intended.

January 11, 2013 3:42:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sentinemodo,

Frustatingly, I tried to create a unit similar to this but the game wouldn't allow it.  I tried to create a 'Surveyor' unit that could build roads and could also raise/lower land as well.  Isn't that what Engineers/Surveyors do?

I didn't mind running the unit through combat in order to take 'Way of the Governor' to get the road building skill, but the problem that I had was that I needed the henchman to be an Earth Mage to be able to raise/lower land, and henchmen can not rise above 'Adept' magic.

There are two ways to fix this issue...

1]  A default engineer unit that could build roads and raise/lower land, or

2]  Allow henchmen to rise to 'Mage' status so that we can create our own engineers.

January 11, 2013 3:52:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
AI more intelligent about when and what it builds in its cities

Are you saying that all the default factions build the same things in the same order?  I would hope that each faction would have its own set of 'faction' building priorities.  Surely, each faction has its own separate idea of how & when things should be built (gives each faction more variety).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001469   Page Render Time: