FE: A perfect 10

By on December 14, 2012 8:30:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

coyote303

Join Date 03/2008
+7

I rate my dog, a Border Collie, a perfect 10. She’s sweet, smart, loyal, friendly, fun, cuddly, and she rarely barks. The fact that she has thrown up on the carpet a couple of times or that she once fished some stale bread out of the trash might mean to some that she isn’t “perfect.” However, she is still a perfect dog.

This is my logic when I give Fallen Enchantress a 10. To me, it’s a perfect game.  It is fun, addictive, flexible, and I love it. I get done playing one game, and I can’t wait to start another in order try another faction, map, and/or strategy. It combines every genre I enjoy: strategy, fantasy, 4x, role playing, and it does them all well.

Now some will object. No game is perfect, they insist; they would never give any game a 10. That’s their choice, but all it means is that they are effectively dealing with a 9-point instead of a 10-point scale. Others say there could be a better game sometime in the future. I agree with this. For example, at the time it was out, I gave Master of Orion (the original) a 10. I played that game so much that my index finger got numb from all the mouse clicks. (To this day, I use a trackball now instead of a mouse because of MOO.) Today, I would not give MOO a 10 because gaming has advanced, and there are indeed better games. However, back then, it fully deserved a 10. I hope in a few years (or sooner!) there will be a game I like better than FE. But today, it’s my clear favorite.

When I am not playing the game, I enjoy reading about it on these forums. It’s interesting how one person thinks death magic is so much better than life magic, and then someone else gives a good case for just the opposite. Some think the free heroes trait is overpowered; others, again, have a contrary opinion. I’ve heard people say magic is underpowered; my fire mage and I disagree. Others say you don’t need trained troops. I’m sure they can “prove” their position, but I wonder what game they are playing! I love how you can design your own units. I love how you stockpile things like iron, crystal, and horses. I love that if you don’t have access to one or the other, there are alternate strategies.

I like the combat system. It has a nice balance between magic, melee units, and ranged units. I like how mana works in the game. You have some powerful spells, but you can’t use them indiscriminately because mana is so precious.

I could go on. However, I think you get my point. I think FE is a great game worthy of a 10. My thanks to Derek and his team, and to Stardock for putting out such a great game.

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 15, 2012 8:12:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with all of that, however the world works in mysterious ways.

For example IGN (sic) did actually give Uncharted 3 a perfect 10. Yes it's a solid highly scripted extremely linear game but it is far from perfect.

So if Uncharted 3 gets a 10 then Fallen Enchantress should easily have the same. 

December 15, 2012 10:30:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Border Collies are great and I still play MOO 2 every once in a while. Addicted to FE at the moment. In other words, I approve this message

December 15, 2012 12:14:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would rate your border collie 9.731482602

Not having met it, you understand...

December 15, 2012 12:35:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are aspects of the game that I would rate a perfect 10.  There are other aspects that are not namely:  Diplomacy (single-choice responses, influence trades for 100:1, breaks treaties early, etc.), UI (empire and event trees don't show enough info and cover up text, lack of pre-movement trails, etc.), AI (doesn't cast strategic spells, attacks with soloists and pioneers, buys too many greaves, retreats even when there's nothing left to do but fight), too many bugs (crashes, pathfinding, typos, state changes). and missing content (dynasties, minor factions).

December 15, 2012 3:31:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mostly agree with Troj.  This game's potential definitely worth a 10.

Being another old geezer that spent a few good years on Master of Magic, I am looking for more polish and game stability from FE (1.1 has definitely increased the crash frequency).  Game balancing and AI definitely demands more work... but I have good faith that will happen with time, given SD's achievement in SSE & GC.

Game-wise, we need some better quality of life improvement.  One of the things that Stardock should recognize is that 4x gamer are usually more tolerant to micromanagement, and should leverage that in their design:

• Automatic road linking is great... but how about giving us a spell instead, and we can create our own routing?
  • Production queue management - any time I have more than 5 items in a city's queue.. it's a pain to organize things.  At the least perhaps you can give user the ability to stretch/extend the build queue, or give us the ability to manage it in the detail screen.
  • Another thing you can do is to let user customize their build queue priority.  For example, the majority of my cities have a specific build order (vs fort/conclave).  In the custom queue UI, give me a list of all buildings available to city, and then let me prioritize them.  The game would automatically skip over anything that is invalid, and automatically add them/readjust the queue when the proper research is completed)
  • A quick slot bar in the over world map, so I do not have to keep going back to the spell book.  Every time I create a new city, I have to go into the spell book a few times to buff the city..
  • Ability to customize each hero's shortcut bar outside of combat.

I think I am also looking for more mod support within the game.  User content can easily augment the missing content issues.  Making things easier for us, such us the ability to edit a sovereign/race.  Perhaps the ability to add heroes.  Also, an in-game item creator, along with a systematic rating calculation to help keep user-created items "more balanced".

Map stamp is a wonderful system that FE brings to the table, because I would be too lazy to create an entire map... and utilizing stamp in a random map also means I won't know the whole map.  Now simplify it! KISS.  I want to spend my time playing the game, not mastering the map maker

I would rate MOM a 9/10, and FE 7.5/10 in comparison.  In the mean time, I will be catching up on Rebellion while they fix 1,1

December 15, 2012 3:49:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,
There are aspects of the game that I would rate a perfect 10.  There are other aspects that are not namely:  Diplomacy (single-choice responses, influence trades for 100:1, breaks treaties early, etc.), UI (empire and event trees don't show enough info and cover up text, lack of pre-movement trails, etc.), AI (doesn't cast strategic spells, attacks with soloists and pioneers, buys too many greaves, retreats even when there's nothing left to do but fight), too many bugs (crashes, pathfinding, typos, state changes). and missing content (dynasties, minor factions).

Well this is a good list, except the missing content suggestions

I do like FE, and everyone is right to rate it a personal favourite, and a personal rating of 10 out of 10, or 7 out of 7, or 48395 out of 48395 for whatever.
In the end, any rating you see is always affected by the view of the person doing the rating.

Me, myself and I have been playing the game for too long for some of the "worse" bugs and nitwicks in the game becomes too bothering, and therefore substract score
That said, it is still a good game, and the first many hours I spent was ignoring these grievances (That said, I did expect them in the beta, and I did notice them and become pestered by them, I just hoped they would be fixed).
Another (unfair) reason I would rate it down is a lot of the same issues is still around by which was always around, issues which where posted several times on the forums and they still bug me

But I'm a grumpy old dude, inside a slightly younger body.
That said, enjoy the game for as long as you can, if you can see past any bugs you come across, I congratulate you

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: